Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 12:47   #391
Team-BHP Support

Given2Fly:

You have still not answered my question:

Quote:
And I am a little confused, you are saying that a Snell helmet will save you from a heavy impact but not a milder one? Can you please clarify.
I don't understand the conflicting statement you are making.

@shyn: Koti has a couple of helmet shops close to Big Bazaar. Check them out.

Last edited by bblost : 25th November 2010 at 13:26.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:02   #392
BHPian

@ BBLost; The reason why SNELL M2005 standards are not so good in low impact, is because they use consider all heads to be of same size. So there are not XS, L or XXL size to consider. So they do all of their testing on a standard sized head say Large, and come up with reports on that basis. ECE and DOT both use 3 to 5 different shell size and impact methods to arrive at their findings.

Secondly, SNELL doesn't consider the weight of head during the tests. More so, they also assume that you will get hit on the same spot twice in case of any single incident 'at a high speed', which is not at all a usual occurrence. So they put emphasis on extra layering of helmet all around. Which means that your helmet will be heavier than it should be and is made of harder components. In case of an incident, your head has a jello like membrane which doesn't like to be jolted with the energy transfer with all the weight of the helmet and then the impact of the incident. This compromises the overall safety of the rider and that's why EU doesn't like SNELL.

I suggest that you do read the article. That is a long read, but explain it better than I can explain here. And it is not partial to any brands. It's a study of standards, not brand specific study.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:49   #393
Team-BHP Support

I read the entire article.

This is what I understood.

A Snell rated helmet is a lot harder than ECE. ECE is harder than DOT.

They found that a DOT helmet is more than enough to save a head.
In fact the kind of impact that would cause head injury capable of causing a death would also have other fatal injuries.

So they made the first point.
DOT is enough for your safety. In an accident its not just head injuries that can kill. The kind of injury that would render a DOT useless would also have other fatal injuries.

The next point was w.r.t the strength of the human head. Snell was making the helmets strong. And as a result of this there would be more impact going inside beyond the EPS Layer. This meant the head inside must also be strong.
So accepting this assumption, a healthy adult male should prefer a Snell rated helmet. I consider myself to belong to that group.

Then there was the point about sizes. Again while I don't agree with the article. I am size XL.

To summarize my understanding of that article.
If you are
1. Healthy Adult mail with a normal head.
2. Size XL or larger
3. Think that its possible that an accident may have just a head injury and no others.

Buy SNELL.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:59   #394
BHPian

Haha. Interesting Points!

But I still disagree.

But then, they are your P.O.V.. So peace, and enjoy!
Old 6th December 2010, 23:25   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
A doubt - The foreign helmets discussed in this thread and purchased at a high cost do not have ISI mark on it. So how legal is it to wear them in India ? It doesnt feel good to purchase an AVG or ARAI for a hefty price (I ve seen one in ebay costing Rs28000/-) and then getting caught by the cops and fined like those purchased off the roadside !

Any comments anyone?
Ask the cop to chargesheet you. Tell him you will pay the fine in court.
It is illegal to sell a non ISI helmet not ILLEGAL to use one.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:04   #396
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by godseed1670 View Post
Ask the cop to chargesheet you. Tell him you will pay the fine in court.
It is illegal to sell a non ISI helmet not ILLEGAL to use one.
Quote:
Section 129: It is mandatory to wear a helmet of ISI standard while riding a motor cycle in public place. However, the State Government can make rules as it may think fit. There are decided cases in the Courts that any act aimed at doing good is not violative of any fundamental right.
Bangalore City Traffic Police

I am guilty of violating this law as I have more trust in Dot and Snell compared to the ISI standard.

If a cop stops me, I would rather pay the fine that risk my head in what I perceive as a lower standard.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:44   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Bangalore City Traffic Police

I am guilty of violating this law as I have more trust in Dot and Snell compared to the ISI standard.

If a cop stops me, I would rather pay the fine that risk my head in what I perceive as a lower standard.
There is ambiguity in the rules and is not clear. See section 130 - Can the Registration certificate, driving licence etc be demanded by any Police officer in Uniform or by Officers of Motor vehicles department only ? I think while computerisation of old rules, punctuation marks (comma, fullstop etc) are incorrect changing the whole meaning.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:39   #398
BHPian

My new Icon Airframe predator
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-icon1.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-icon2.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-icon3.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 12:24   #399
Team-BHP Support

My new Seven zero Seven helmet.
Bought this in the US for 112$ from cyclegear.
This is actually a rebadged xpeed helmet. Conforms to both DOT and Snell 2010 standards.

The tinted visor cost an extra 20$.

Side Profile
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img004.jpg

Vent on the bottom rear. Its present on both sides.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img006.jpg

Vent on the top rear.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img007.jpg

Intake vent on the top of the helmet.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img008.jpg

The fit is perfect. In fact to wear it, I have to hold it on top of my head and push it in with a little force. A slight tightness on my jaws. Kind of like forcing my cheeks inside. But its not uncomfortable. Some 5 minutes later there is not much pressure.

Ears have adequate room inside.

The venting is decent and there is no sweating inside.
The liner cannot be removed.

Quick release mechanism for the visor. Its a little easier to use than my older GPR.

The finish is decent.
A video of what I believe is the same helmet.

The tinted visor is very good in cutting out light glare. Its not completely dark inside.

How do you guys manage the added weight of a armour jacket and a laptop shoulder bag. I need to get back to the gym. No pain but its a heavy load.

Last edited by bblost : 21st December 2010 at 12:26.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:12   #400
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Finally managed to get my TK-2 helmet.

Its made by a chinese company making helmets for fighter pilots. This one is a stripdown version of an aviation helmet, meant for motorcycles.

It features 2 visors, a clear and another tinted. both the visors are protected under an FRP cover, and can be brought down based on the need.

These are not available in india, had to buy from amazon and ship it to a US address, then get it to india.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc_0723.jpg  

Old 7th January 2011, 17:27   #401
Team-BHP Support

@nasirkaka, sorry to sound a little rude, but do you plan on wearing another (actual) motorcycle helmet on top of this?

Because this helmet will not save you in the event of a crash.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:48   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Finally managed to get my TK-2 helmet.
... This one is a stripdown version of an aviation helmet, meant for motorcycles.
My sister slipped and fell while riding her Honda dio a few months back. She broke her entire jaw and had to undergo multiple surgeries.
From then on I dread half helmets (she was wearing the helment when she fell and hit the divider). I bought her a full face helmet as soon as she recovered.
And since my helmet was getting a little old, picked up a carbon fiber lid for myself.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:52   #403
Senior - BHPian

^I agree totally. Although I wear a in-expensive Studs- Ninja and when I have it in convertible mode, I do fear about my jaws wellbeing.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:09   #404
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
@nasirkaka, sorry to sound a little rude, but do you plan on wearing another (actual) motorcycle helmet on top of this?

Because this helmet will not save you in the event of a crash.
Hey, I wont mind wearing another actual helmet UNDER this one, as i really like the look of this one and there is not much point hiding it.

On a serious note, my usual helmet is a full faced CROSS, and thats what i use normally. I have a soft corner for helmets and have a collections of 4 open face helmets of various types. I use them rarely, and for very small rides, as they dont inspire confidence.

I do understand the seriousness of a good helmet, and at times, i even use one of my light-weight, open-face MOTORCYCLE helmet while riding my BICYCLE. Hey, now dont jump on my for not wearing a bicycle helmet with the bicycle, cos thats what i normally do.

These fancy helmets are just something i like collecting.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:53   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

On a serious note, my usual helmet is a full faced CROSS, and thats what i use normally. I have a soft corner for helmets and have a collections of 4 open face helmets of various types. I use them rarely, and for very small rides, as they dont inspire confidence.
I have a Forest Ranger Green open face helmet. Used very very rare.

Quote:
These fancy helmets are just something i like collecting.
Don't we all.

How about the pics of the other helmets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks