Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 10:59   #331

RJays Helmets

Originally Posted by Leepower
Guys, how are RJays' Helmets? Are they any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think they are decent ones and are certified by Australian Motorcycle standards, Bachoo Motors stocks them and when i was there, i did have a look,

pricey for a un-known brand*,(pricing goes upto ~11K and that particular helmet would be a steal at ~7K)

*i feel so, else why wouldn't they take pains to get it DOT(min) certified at-least

I feel the need to clear some doubt on some RJays helmets not having the DOT certification.

Firstly, RJays might be new here, but it is probably the largest selling brand in Australia and New Zealand and also has a huge following in Singapore and Malaysia.

Secondly, in Australia, all helmets that are used for head protection, on road, or at sporting events, sanctioned by moto or motor sport governing bodies (CAMS, MA etc), must carry a label certifying it complies with the Australian Standard, AS1698. The penalty, for wearing a helmet that does not carry an AS1698 sticker is $245 approx (you are deemed not to be wearing a helmet) Snell approval, or Dot 4 compliance, does not automatically make the helmet Australian complianced.
Australia has one of the highest standards for helmets in the world, and part of the requirements for a manufacturer, to be able to apply the AS1698 sticker, is to supply the Australian Standards testing lab. a number of helmets, drawn at random, from each batch of helmets manufactured. They then undergo testing, to make sure they comply. The Snell and Dot 4 American standards, on the other hand, only require the manufacturer to write to the relevant standards authority, and say, yes we have manufactured these helmets to your standards. The standards authority then MAY POSSIBLY buy some helmets at random, and test them.
One of the tests carried out to obtain the AS1698 sticker is the penetration test, where a spear point of a certain weight, is dropped from a height of 3M, and it must not penetrate the shell. The shell has to be thicker to withstand this.

Thirdly, some of the RJays helmets have the DOT and SNELL certification while some others do not. For example, the RJays Striker series that is sold in India for Rs 7,499 has DOT and SNELL certification, while the SP2 series, which carries a price tag of Rs 11,999 in India is not certified by DOT or SNELL. This however, does not mean that the RJays Striker is a safer helmet than the RJays SP2. The simple reason for this is that RJays sells the Striker in the American market and not the SP2. So they do not need to get the SP2 certified to DOT or SNELL standards.

I hope I have cleared all doubts.

No offense guys.

Mod's Note: Please type your views directly on this board. Copy-pasting from any external editor causes the post to come out as unreadable gibberish with tons of unrenderable tags.

Also, please do not type your post in all-bolds.

Post cleaned up for this once.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th June 2010 at 13:12.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:28   #332
BHPian

My New Helmet

I finally bought myself a new LS2 Matt Black helmet, its actually a 4 month due Birthday gift from my parents.

Costed 3.1K from Priya helmets in Thane, I wanted to go to AH helmets but i've heard his price is about 3.2 , do didn't feel like spending that extra time.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-07062010081.jpg  

Last edited by sinner : 7th June 2010 at 15:29. Reason: font tags removed.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:11   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
I see that almost all of the members telling that a helmet has to be discarded after 5 years. How do you discard it? Doesn't the helmet end up in the wrong hands and after a good refurbish be sold to someone else? I want to junk my 5 year old helmet and get a new one, but I'm a bit worried about this.
Sledge hammer it, that's what i always do
Old 9th June 2010, 18:50   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
I finally bought myself a new LS2 Matt Black helmet, its actually a 4 month due Birthday gift from my parents.

Costed 3.1K from Priya helmets in Thane, I wanted to go to AH helmets but i've heard his price is about 3.2 , do didn't feel like spending that extra time.
That's a beauty! Now I'm a bit confused b/w going for a black helmet with graphics or the plain matte on. Somehow tend to lean towards to matte since you don't tend to lose the look and feel as opposed to a shiny one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.mcgreggor View Post
Sledge hammer it, that's what i always do
Really!?? Do you own a sledgehammer? Today I realized how heavy my helmet actually is after lifting a colleague's helmet. I don't remember the exact brand. It looked good and feels tough too. Cost him around 1.4k.
Old 9th June 2010, 21:38   #335
Senior - BHPian

I need a good quality open face helmet to replace my aging Ninja. I prefer something that has a visor and which can fit in the scooter's storage space. Any particular brands/model that I can look to.

I buy helmets from Pioneer scooter, Chennai. Any other good places in chennai?
Old 9th June 2010, 22:06   #336
BHPian

Hi,

Mail4jo, try RAINBOW Helmet shop in mount road, it is few metres after crossing the gemini bridge towards Parrys.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:09   #337
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where in Bangalore would one get children's helmets (full face ones)?

I need to take my 4 year old son daily to school. Lots of cars near the school entrance means parking is a pain. Thinking of using the scooter instead of car.

It is a distance on roughly 3 km. Wondering if good helmets with right fit are available. I would feel comfortable. Son would get used to a good habit.

Last edited by sbraj : 13th June 2010 at 15:14.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:47   #338
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked out the shops on JC Road? They have a nice collection so you just might get one there.
Old 13th June 2010, 17:16   #339
BHPian

guys any idea on the helmets launched by diesel? they seem to have a retro look.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:44   #340
BHPian

Hi All

There is a Export Model Helmet by Vega called Daytona

Last week i found one and coloured it same as my 1966 Royal Enfield and the result was superb

This model is classic looking one from the 70's which was more common on the 70's Japanese bikes

I will recommend this for all the classic and vintage lovers
Old 15th June 2010, 18:19   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
Hi All

Last week i found one and coloured it same as my 1966 Royal Enfield and the result was superb

This model is classic looking one from the 70's which was more common on the 70's Japanese bikes

Can we please have picture of this lid you are talking about?

Sounds like a good buy.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:44   #342
Senior - BHPian

I got the Vega Eclipse, Suits my purpose and sits in the Access. Not very happy with the coloured visor, very cheap.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:50   #343
BHPian

For people who can afford to import helmets or go for the premium brands/models, you can read the reviews here Motorcycle Helmets - webBikeWorld before ordering. They have few good reviews on YouTube as well.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:06   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
Hi All

Hello folks - Posting these pictures on behalf of 82Rawath as he was having issues uploading them.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-06162010022.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-getattachment.jpg  

Old 17th June 2010, 12:15   #345
BHPian

Rjays Striker Helmet - webBikeWorld

Review of the Rjay Striker. Seems to have gotten a thumbs-up from the reviewer. It was at a higher pricepoint (US$231) 2 years ago to what we are getting today(~INR7.5k). Unsure of the international price today.

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 17th June 2010 at 12:26. Reason: Correction to current indian pricing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks