Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:56   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
this gave me enough confidence to buy the MT
Congratulations. Just for your information, the Bell Qualifier (Deluxe version @12-15k) has a 3 Star Sharp rating and the AGVs (@21-25k) I tried, all had 4 Star Sharp rating. It is always important to try the helmets before hand if you want to live with it comfortably and I did so at High Note Performance and Rider Planet, both of which stock Bell, Shark and AGV. My actual size is also M but that does not fit me properly in most brands. So the L it was. The helmet should always be tight initially, to give it space to break-in. If it's comfortable on day 1, you have selected a wrong overlarge size.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 13:33   #2477
BHPian

How is the wind noise insulation on the Revenge on highway speeds? A friend has a Blade and says it's too loud once you reach triple digit speeds.
Old 28th October 2017, 15:31   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
How is the wind noise insulation on the Revenge on highway speeds? A friend has a Blade and says it's too loud once you reach triple digit speeds.
Since I don't ride mostly above 60/80 kmph (rather don't get to ride above 60kmph here in Mumbai for long) it doesn't bother me at all. Also this helmet is purely for my local usage and for the purpose it serves me well. But below these speeds I am very happy.
Old 5th November 2017, 22:39   #2479
BHPian

Hi friends,
today purchased this "designer" kids helmet for my daughter. It was from a local shop on Malad link road, costing Rs.850. It'll be used just for the local errand trips in our vicinity, and I'll continue search for a decent full-faced one for better protection. Any pointers for a VFM stuff most welcome. Also need to finalize similar one for wife.

As for helmet for myself, Im just browsing reviews and pictures (!), and yet to buy one, mostly for daily & occasional long rides usage. I personally feel a budget for 5-7K for now ?

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 13:14   #2480
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Pranav, if you looking at 5-7 budget , I would suggest you get one from the US if you have someone coming down. You may have to stretch to ~10k but you will get a good Bell/HJC/Scorpion DOT/SNELL rated one.

Do also check out Lazy Ass Bikers in Andheri East. They have a good range of helmets with them.

By the way, what bike have you decided on buying?
Old 6th November 2017, 21:00   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The helmet should always be tight initially, to give it space to break-in. If it's comfortable on day 1, you have selected a wrong overlarge size.

Cheers...
very good info, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Since I don't ride mostly above 60/80 kmph (rather don't get to ride above 60kmph here in Mumbai for long) it doesn't bother me at all. Also this helmet is purely for my local usage and for the purpose it serves me well. But below these speeds I am very happy.
I read that MT Revenge models offers good protection ratings, at decent price point, BUT many info that it creates noise (some say whistle) on speeds >70-80 has upset me! I haven't personally tried (or seen!) but looking at website pic, I liked Binomy Black+Green

@dkaile: congrats on K-N1000! did you test MT-R on high speeds ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hello Pranav, if you looking at 5-7 budget , I would suggest you get one from the US if you have someone coming down. You may have to stretch to ~10k but you will get a good Bell/HJC/Scorpion DOT/SNELL rated one.

Do also check out Lazy Ass Bikers in Andheri East. They have a good range of helmets with them.

By the way, what bike have you decided on buying?
Sir, how are you doing ? (sorry, I missed your real name, my bad)
good to see your message. we have been bumping on Xylo threads :-)
I deliberately didn't mention the bike, till its delivered to me! For now preparing the gears / parts.

To keep it simple, consider this is my first helmet. To begin, don't want to put lots money, and gradually build the gears etc. For now don't have anyone coming from US, and I would actually prefer testing myself while buying.

OT: Today my Xylo ODO crossed 190091 KM, overall going good, using even as daily office drives too. some minor maintenance is on cards, but Im bit lazy & bit occupied. Do you still have Xylo ?

thanks & regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 21:09   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
did you test MT-R on high speeds ?
Yes, I have. I have also been previously been using a MT for about 3 years now. First of all you should realise that there is NO silent helmet, it's a myth. I have tried many high end ones too and each and every one has some level of noise depending upon each individual's tolerance levels. There is a slight whistling at higher speeds in this MT too but nothing that a Bell, AGV or ARAI won't have, depending upon varying levels of individual fit and tolerance, as I mentioned earlier. It's a great product overall and I have no complaints but only good things to observe after wearing it on multiple rides now.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 11:46   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
To keep it simple, consider this is my first helmet. To begin, don't want to put lots money, and gradually build the gears etc. For now don't have anyone coming from US, and I would actually prefer testing myself while buying.
Go to a store that stocks genuine LS2 helmets and pick up one of those for yourself. I find LS2 helmets to be the comfiest in the entry level polycarbonate space and the rest are not worth the extra money untill you go for something with fiber composite construction

Quote:
There is a slight whistling at higher speeds in this MT too but nothing that a Bell, AGV or ARAI won't have
Wind Noise is there in every helmet and infact it is always recommended to wear earplugs for high speed highway blasts BUT I have never encountered a whistling noise in any high end helmet from AGV, Bell or Arai. Whistling noise could be indicative of poor aerodynamics. Never once encountered any whistling noise in my X-lite x802r at any speed on my RC 390 for example. Even doing lane checks and turning my head at awkward angles only results in more wind noise but never whistling.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th November 2017 at 11:48.
Old 7th November 2017, 11:52   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Wind Noise is there in every helmet and infact it is always recommended to wear earplugs for high speed highway blasts BUT I have never encountered a whistling noise in any high end helmet from AGV, Bell or Arai.
Well I tested a Bell and a AGV for about 300 kms a few months back and I found the same kind of noise, call it whistling or whatever, it was the exact same that I hear on the MT. Some people call it different names but basically wind noise is there. I do not find the MT to be aerodynamically inferior to any of the brands you mentioned and I have been using MT for about 3 years now and this Revenge model is superior in all aspects to the Axxis that I had before and use intermittently.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 7th November 2017 at 11:55.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 11:57   #2485
Team-BHP Support

Whatever lid one buys, most people use ear plugs to escape from wind noise and for good reason. I too had been using one.

It simply softens the noise and doesn't eliminate it. I haven't had the pleasure to buy/use top of the line lids but most lids under 25K have wind noise.

Any good ear plugs around on sale in India?
Old 7th November 2017, 12:04   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I tested a Bell and a AGV for about 300 kms a few months back and I found the same kind of noise, call it whistling or whatever, it was the exact same that I hear on the MT.
okay perhaps the entry level Bells amd AGVs may have whistling noise, I havent had the opportunity to try them out. In my experience with my helmet a friends arai, and a relative's RPHA10, there is a noticeable difference between these helmets and the MT Revenge.

Or there may be an entirely seperate explanation for this; most helmets in the market are designed for sport riding in the 3/4 to full tuck position, yet most riders in India buy and ride touring machines with upright seating. Very few helmets are aerodynamically designed for upright seating.

Eitherway earplugs are recomended

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th November 2017 at 12:06.
Old 7th November 2017, 12:09   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
okay perhaps the entry level Bells amd AGVs may have whistling noise

Eitherway earplugs are recomended
Those were not entry level lids. Also I have never used earplugs in the last 30 years that I have been riding and have never felt the need for the same either. As I said earlier, each person's tolerance to noise and fit inside the helmet is different. No rule can be generalised when it comes to noise levels or fit of a helmet.

Cheers...
Old 7th November 2017, 12:13   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I have never used earplugs in the last 30 years that I have been riding and have never felt the need for the same either. As I said earlier, each person's tolerance to noise and fit inside the helmet is different. No rule can be generalised when it comes to noise levels or fit of a helmet.

Cheers...
It is generally accepted that we must not expose our ears to noises above 90 decibels for extended periods of time. Even some PVR theatres are notorious for poor sound tuning and really loud volume atleast my buzzy KTM definitely ensures that I use earplugs or noise isolating in-ear earphones on those long high speed rides

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th November 2017 at 12:15.
Old 7th November 2017, 12:19   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is generally accepted that we must not expose our ears to noises above 90 decibels for extended periods of time.
You seem to be overly sensitive to noise. Many individuals are. How does one measure the decibel levels inside the helmet? My general rule for that is that one must be comfortable with whatever lid one wears. I have ridden upto 15-16 hours a day without issues and without earplugs. And my hearing is just fine even while nearing 50. So it varies from individual to individual and that is the crux of the matter. Being comfortable with the lid is paramount. Hope to end it here.

Cheers...
Old 7th November 2017, 19:19   #2490
BHPian

Recently, I have bought the LS2 352, full face helmet to replace my 6 year old Vega Boolean which is a modular one.

I bought this online from Myntra (yes, you heard it right) during the Diwali sale, for INR 3,930.

https://www.myntra.com/accessories/l...52/1587226/buy

My head circumference is 60, so I have ordered "L" size. But, it was very tight (not snug fit) that I felt some pain in the head. Good thing with Myntra is their easy return policy - I have returned the Helmet, the same as it was delivered. Once the return is complete, I have ordered a new one with "XL" size and this is the one which is snug fit now - though was little tight initially but now after 2 weeks of usage it has nicely break-in.

After using it for 2 weeks, for commuting daily to my office, below are my observations.

Pros:
1. Lightweight - at 1350 +- 50 g, this is one of the lightest helmet at this price point.
2. ECER22-05 certified and 4 star Sharp rating, quite good for an entry level helmet.
3. Better noise insulation (when compared to my old Vega Boolean).
4. Nice ventilation - can feel air-flow, from top of my head, on the move.

Cons:
1. Visor is scratch-prone - can see already few scratches and smudges in the visor, even with careful usage. Planning to get a Clear visor as well as back-up.
2. Could have done with more padding for the cheeks - I would say the padding is just enough, although way better than my Vega Boolean.
3. Matt finish is a dirt magnet and with Fluorescent Green color it is going to be a nightmare to maintain.
4. No pin-lock ready visor

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171107_112850.jpg

ECER22-05 certified
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171107_112807.jpg

Came with this nice bag
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171107_123007.jpg
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks