Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:29   #2101
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Go for Thor. My friend has a thor and me uses a Perzeus. Pezeus fitting elastic loses its strength within 6 months. Elastic starts coming off from edges. Besides the armour is Knox flexiform armor which provides good shock absorption but bad scrapping resistance. Max i have worn is 10 hours under jeans and they tend to get uncomfortable after 6 hours. They also slide down if you walk a bit fast.

Thor is well built. My friend also crash tested it and it passed with flying colors
Thank you sagarpadaki, has ordered for the Thor Quadrant from SPG.
regards adrian
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:40   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I'm looking to get a pair of small riding boots for daily commute. Looks like Spartan(Chaos) is the only brand that sells such boots in India(around INR 5k). No choice but to go to Spartan again it seems.
Why not look at Tarmac Street that is available on Bachhoo motors site. That seems to be in the same range as well.

Link --> http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.ph...gory&id_lang=1
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:43   #2103
BHPian

Can anyone help with an outlet or an avenue to sell used or unused riding gear? Options suggested for the city of Mumbai will be of great help.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:53   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Rakesh sir,

So - Look beyond - Go Dainese! or Even Rjays!
Thanks Shubz!

I took a look at Rjays All season II. The sizing was a bit off. M was loose and S did not fit well. The velcro on the sides of the waist is also too short for me to tighten M size adequately. Else the pants were well made for the price.

Dainese is out of my budge - 19K odd for mesh/textile and its only water resistant. Perhaps AGV sport, Joe Rocket or something similar, unable to pin down on anything

Going for a 300 Km ride one way, on Saturday morning. Appears I'll have to stick to Jeans for the time being
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:56   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Thanks Shubz!

I took a look at Rjays All season II. The sizing was a bit off. M was loose and S did not fit well. The velcro on the sides of the waist is also too short for me to tighten M size adequately. Else the pants were well made for the price.

Dainese is out of my budge - 19K odd for mesh/textile and its only water resistant. Perhaps AGV sport, Joe Rocket or something similar, unable to pin down on anything

Going for a 300 Km ride one way, on Saturday morning. Appears I'll have to stick to Jeans for the time being
AGV Sport is also good. Did you try Orion Motors? (Opposite Forum mall Koramangala?) They do have good amount of riding pants (though I doubt the authenticity of some - A dainese pant for 7k??)
Tirumala Pitstop?
And please do use some knee protection or the other. You never know what you could encounter.
Old 22nd January 2015, 21:47   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
AGV Sport is also good. Did you try Orion Motors? (Opposite Forum mall Koramangala?) They do have good amount of riding pants (though I doubt the authenticity of some - A dainese pant for 7k??)
Tirumala Pitstop?
And please do use some knee protection or the other. You never know what you could encounter.
Yes AGV sport appears to be a good choice for summer riding. In case of rain or cold one needs to have extra layers which do not come with the pants.

I did go to Orion (I had bought the A* SMX2 gloves from them which is one of the crappiest gloves you can buy). The experience in his shop is 'dusty' to begin with. By the time I walked out to Forum car park, I had to find a men's room and wash my hands with soap. As most of the bike gear shop his stock was low (not sure why this is the case with most of them). Dainese that he offered for 7K was pure textile one and on a look I couldn't make out if they were fake (they could be). Most of his stock looked old and thrown into the next room on a table. He had a pair of Rjays pants M size (dirty again) which I tried on with a lot of disdain, and found them not fitting well. Haven't looked at other shops, perhaps tomorrow.

For knee protection, I do have a Dainese one, which is excellent. Best to wear them inside/outside, whichever comfortable. Most pants I have seen/tried, do not have a very good knee protection and shifty.

I think there is a huge opportunity in this business, wherein one needs to change the customer experience in every way. With the exception of Dainese, all shops that I have been to or spoken to on phone, are run with poor stocks and take it or leave it attitude. You will also consistently come across gothic interiors, terrible trial rooms and dirt/dust all over the stock. The bike gear/accessories retailers in the current form are tempting some of us to chuck our daily jobs and get into this business. There is a huge vacuum in this area and I would call that a serious opportunity which can be filled up someone who is willing to take Indian bikers seriously!

For this weekend, all of you, have a good break and ride safe!
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:47   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
I think there is a huge opportunity in this business, wherein one needs to change the customer experience in every way.
Here are a few reliable stores which stock good quality gear:

1. Biking Spirit - Triumph building on Residency Road (behind the showroom)

2. Let's Gear Up - HSR layout near BDA Complex

3. Dainese Store - Orion Mall, Rajajinagar. This is a flagship store but they also stock helmets from the Arai/AGV brand.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 23:17   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Here are a few reliable stores which stock good quality gear:

2. Let's Gear Up - HSR layout near BDA Complex
Well, I did go to Let's Gear Up to pick up a pair of gloves but found nothing that fits my hand. They were either too tight at the palm or the finger portion was too big (there was a reasonable gap between the tip of my fingers and the glove). I have odd size hands and was wondering if "open finger" gloves are an option for me and is it advisable to use those, Or, does anyone know if I can get these made to order (somewhere in Ambur, TN, maybe!).
Old 24th January 2015, 20:03   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I have odd size hands and was wondering if "open finger" gloves are an option for me and is it advisable to use those, Or, does anyone know if I can get these made to order (somewhere in Ambur, TN, maybe!).
Perhaps u could pick up a pair that fits rest of your hand well and get the glove fingers cut and stitched to size. Stitch them from outside, it won't hurt your fingers then. You could try a leather or shoe maker shop. Some of the bike seat makers may be willing to do it as they have the right thread and machine. Make sure the stitch size is as small as the rest of the glove. Bespoke ones may not be able to provide protection as they're difficult to create at a leather or shoe shop level
rakesh_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 22:08   #2110
BHPian

So Santa came with some gifts for me. Not gifts, really, some stuff I ordered.

Boots : Black Zero. This is a touring boot, about half-shin length, available in several color combos. I ordered the black as you can see.
I had actually put my most preferred as Black Venom , a sport-riding boot , so I expect should have been better, but the right size wasn't available.

I just got them today, so it's too early to review but my initial opinion is, I expected them to be stiffer. I haven't had any pure riding boots before, and I defied usual advice to buy Sidi or A-stars, the go-to brands everyone knows and worships ! I have been taking risks of late - so added a few more to the list buying lesser brands. I did read the reviews before deciding though. Anyway, I think they lack stiffness in areas which I think should not be the case, but not having direct comparison with the better brands' boots, I'll try and do that sometime with any rider acquaintances who typically fall for the better brands.

Price : 108 euro , ~INR 8100

Gloves :
1. MBW Raptor kangaroo leather gloves for ~INR 6000
These feel very light and thin, flexible even being new. I can very comfortably bend my fingers. But these are kangaroo leather, which is thinner than cow leather, hence lighter and flexible.

It is a little short on palm protection though, thinner padding there. Also missing is any thumb soft/hard armour , or any side armour for the palm. For kangaroo hide, though, seems like a bargain. Wish they didn't skimp on the armour, would have paid more for those.

2. Proanti cowhide leather gloves : ~ INR 3000
First look and they complement my black-white MT Blade helmet rather well ! The thinner wrist strap is a little fiddly, hard to use esp when you have worn the other glove and trying to tighten the remaining one.

Overall, I realize these aren't top-shelf gloves or boots, but the only way I will ever find out if paying 2-3 times or more for each, for the best brand/model, is by crashing in these, and by crashing in the expensive name brands and finding out. I hope it never comes to that, with utmost sincerity!

The armour looks very chunky, the pinky finger and ring finger are partly joined by stitching - a new feature that supposedly reduced injuries as the pinky tends to bend easily.
Still, upon comparing with my 2006 vintage Angels Racing gauntlets, the AR gloves have thicker leather, and the armour quality a little better. None of seams are out yet, just the velcro strap stitches have given way making it a little bothersome while putting on.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-20150125280.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125282.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125281.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125286.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125283.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125285.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125287.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125288.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125289.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20150125290.jpg  

Last edited by Ricci : 25th January 2015 at 22:16.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:36   #2111
BHPian

Is there any store in bangalore where I can take a look at A* an Rjays riding gear; I know Dianese have their own store in Orion Mall, need to go there as well. This is my first real purchase of Riding gear, I am willing to spend about 30-40K, as long as I know that it gives me enough protection in case of fall.

btw I just got a R15, hence this query
Old 27th January 2015, 10:53   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Boots : Black Zero. Price : 108 euro , ~.
Did you order this online? if so how did you get your sizing right? And which website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
Is there any store in bangalore where I can take a look at A* an Rjays riding gear;
Got my rjays riding gloves and wifey's A* jacket at the Yamaha showroom opp Forum mall.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:38   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Did you order this online? if so how did you get your sizing right? And which website?
It's size 43 in Europe sizing terms, ordered off Amazon.de (Germany), via my cousin. Was considering another lesser known brand Richa along with these.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 21:39   #2114
BHPian

Not sure if this is OT, but I wanted to know how Harley's Motorcycle Riding Jackets (non leather and with protection), Riding Boots and Gloves are priced at? Being Harley, I'm sure their quality must be top notch, but would I be able to pick all these three for around 20-25 K?
Old 28th January 2015, 22:04   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
Is there any store in bangalore where I can take a look at A* an Rjays riding gear; I know Dianese have their own store in Orion Mall, need to go there as well. This is my first real purchase of Riding gear, I am willing to spend about 30-40K, as long as I know that it gives me enough protection in case of fall.

btw I just got a R15, hence this query
X-torque in HSR has RJAYS riding pants and jacket. I picked both of these and happy so far with the quality and the fitting.

I am looking for RJAYS boots. Not sure where I can find them.

Congratulations on R15 bro. GOD SPEED. Ride Hard and Ride SAFE

#LLB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks