Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:13   #38086
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Received this YouTube link as a WhatsApp forward -

It's really damning to see how reckless bikers threaten the driver, all for a minor brush to the pillion while the driver was attempting an overtake.

If you see the video, the biker is driving at a slow speed right in the middle of the road, leaving the car with no option but to overtake by merging into opposite lane.

What probably irked the biker is when the driver did not stop (which is the right thing to do) after repeated attempts and that got the biker on his ego trip which led to the entire episode of chase and torture!

The way the bikers behave followed by the harassment to the driver on account of a minor brush and the way they held up traffic by blocking the car highlights the sorry state of law enforcement on our roads, which makes such errant bikers even more capable to arm-twist fellow drivers/bikers to extort money or simply terrorize them.
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:56   #38087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Received this YouTube link as a WhatsApp forward - .
Stopped seeing the video after 5 seconds.

If the car driver didnt stop after the brush/hit - it is sure to flare up. Rest of the video I can imagine what would have happened. Either the car driver is a noob to not even realize his car brushed against a biker, its still 'not' ok but at least it is a learning for the driver next time.

If he Did' know he brushed, and did not pull over to stop on the spot and honestly apologize (still get scolded, no doubt) then its arrogance.

Posting such videos will only strengthen the people on the bike.

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd May 2023 at 12:58.
svsantosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:10   #38088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you see the video, the biker is driving at a slow speed right in the middle of the road, leaving the car with no option but to overtake by merging into opposite lane.
No option? The driver had the best option: not to overtake at all.

1. It was clear that the bikers were driving erratically. It's a warning to keep clear.

2. The overtake was in the face of oncoming traffic.

Sure, even with oncoming traffic, if two wheelers had kept left, there may have been room to overtake safely, but that is a courtesy, not a right. There is no right to overtake.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:42   #38089

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Posting such videos will only strengthen the people on the bike.
I do think there was indeed an accident caused by the driver of the car (very minor - could often be diffused with an apologetic gesture) but that is not to take away from the active endangerment the bikers caused. You could blame the car driver for triggering the situation but I believe that the disproportionate response was to wrangle money off the car driver.

Much of defensive driving works great when there is no malice in the minds of the others. But I see more of these incidents where a minor incident is jumped upon with glee for gain.

I feel the best response in such situations is to get to a cop - the ones out to make a buck often melt away when they see one.
ashwinds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 14:38   #38090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Attaching 3 more close up picks of the Hexa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS - Hope no one is foolish enough to repair any of these two back to shape. Its a total loss and frame bent beyond repair and full air bag deployment crash. Claim insurance and rush to the nearest TATA showroom to buy another one - Period.
Maybe OT but I really feel for the owner of the Hexa if it's a total loss. Pretty sure that he/she will have a very difficult time getting a suitable replacement for the Hexa in terms of value for money and safety. Imagine owning a 7 seater which is comfortable, safe and easy on the pockets to suddenly be in the market for a similar one which will cost you a minimum 6-7 lacs more or worse still, getting a fronx at the rate at which you purchased the Hexa
Neil Roy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 15:38   #38091
BHPian

An accident of a different kind:

https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...k-1221260.html

A kid lost her life due to her neck stuck due to rolling up of power-window.

I'm still trying to figure out why someone couldn't roll it down - panic? Or failure of the switch? Could death be so instant?

I have no more words other than to appeal everyone including myself to be careful with the rolling up of windows. I know some cars have anti-pinch feature. If not, better be careful.
Old 23rd May 2023, 15:40   #38092
BHPian

Quote:
Received this YouTube link as a WhatsApp forward -
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=5UUawt2RH9E

It's really damning to see how reckless bikers threaten the driver, all for a minor brush to the pillion while the driver was attempting an overtake.
it's horrible that people are saying the car driver is at fault for avoiding talking to the biker. These bikers are looking like goons. If this person had opened the window to apologize, what if those goons had a knife?
A sane person on a bike would scold the car driver and move on and not stop in front of the car, if they stopped the car then it means they are looking for something not just scolding the driver.
Forall you know these bikers were premeditating this to get 500rs from any car driver who over takes them.
Poor car guy had to deal with these thugs for 5-10mins, imagine how scared he could have been. Imagine if this was our family members driving the car, would our advices still be the same? "stop and apologize to the thug"?

My current situation in our country, take a cab, don't drive. Although that too didnt seem safe enough, had an accident while in the cab too, irony.
vinay.sathyan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:24   #38093

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Captured this accident with my car dashcam on Saturday. The red Ford was being driven at some what high speeds in the rains and ended up hitting a divider after getting aquaplaned. The rest is in the video.

https://Youtu.be/5b7U_ZrU6dE
I have experienced aquaplaning on NH48's Mumbai Ahmedabad stretch 2 or 3 times before. And I've learned a few things which practice actively while driving in such conditions.

1) If it's raining, please don't exceed speeds upwards of 80 kmph, if possible drive even slower as it decreases the possibility of aquaplaning.

2) If or whenever it does happen, take your foot off the accelerator pedal, donot over correct with your steering or panic and hit the brakes, let the car settle by itself.

3) After you're past the water puddle, reduce your speed and remember point number one.

Happy and safe driving folks!
maverick_t50 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 21:16   #38094
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear, my fellow members might easily get the idea from many of my posts that I am anti-biker! A bit, yes!

But in this instance, I must support these guys. They are the ones who were hit. The car driver is the one who did it. By my judgement, it was a foolish and dangerous overtake. But these bikers are being accused of everything from potential extortion to goonery! The passenger might have suffered, at least, a bruise.

The biker and his passenger had a right to complain. They were driving erratically; there is no reason to suspect them of anything else.

But we do all seem to agree on one thing. Whoever's the fault, the driver could and should have defused the situation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 00:51   #38095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh dear, my fellow members might easily get the idea from many of my posts that I am anti-biker! A bit, yes!

But in this instance, I must support these guys. They are the ones who were hit. The car driver is the one who did it. By my judgement, it was a foolish and dangerous overtake. But these bikers are being accused of everything from potential extortion to goonery! The passenger might have suffered, at least, a bruise.

The biker and his passenger had a right to complain. They were driving erratically; there is no reason to suspect them of anything else.

But we do all seem to agree on one thing. Whoever's the fault, the driver could and should have defused the situation.
Thad, while your responses to most of the accidents reported on this thread are insightful and agreeable. I would like to respectfully disagree with the justification above. I base these thoughts not just as a 4 wheeler owner but also as a 2 wheeler owner who has been in the shoes of the biker in the scenario above.

While it is a fact that the pillion/rider was hit by the car driver, the difference is clear in the events post. Yes, the bikers were hurt and do have a right to complain but not make it one's life mission while also putting other road users safety at risk for airing their grievance. There were also at least 2 instances where the bikers came close to the car driver and it is my assumption (since there was no cabin dash cam) that any sane person would have tried de-escalating the situation.

However, there is no way I would recommend my near and dear ones to get out of their car in the name of apologizing to them, especially after their antics. The sheer recklessness showcased by the folks on the bike would make me second guess even lowering the car window. These acts of blocking traffic and endangering others just reeks of bruised ego and a case of quick buck making to me.

A reasonable biker's response would have been to check for their and their vehicle's damage and note down the car number in case of any damage to file an insurance claim (and also curse our bad luck). This clearly was not a reasonable response.

While I do not condone the car driver for seeming to get away after the initial brush, I think he did enough in terms of not getting sucked into the road rage spiral himself and came out unscathed (albeit 500Rs lighter ).

Cheers,
Sharath
sharkashwa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 03:01   #38096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkashwa View Post
Thad, while your responses to most of the accidents reported on this thread are insightful and agreeable. I would like to respectfully disagree with the justification above. I base these thoughts not just as a 4 wheeler owner but also as a 2 wheeler owner who has been in the shoes of the biker in the scenario above.
Thank you. Well reasoned, good points.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 11:13   #38097
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1229.jpg

Newly delievered Ioniq5 spotted on the Goa side of the Patradevi border. Looks like the driver lost control on the tight bend there took out a lamp post and jumped the central divider onto the other side. Hope everyone is okay.
zandot is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 08:51   #38098
BHPian

Quote:
Received this YouTube link as a WhatsApp forward - https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=5UUawt2RH9E

The way the bikers behave followed by the harassment to the driver ..
Seeing this and the other video of Autorickshaw driver harassing car driver and also relating to experience of my near ones, it seems that the lower stratum locals quickly build ego & anger if the other party's car/bike is from another state. And add to it they will then gather more such people and gang up on the other party which will end up in a fight or some sort of extortion. if the local police gets added to the mix, then who knows what happens next.

Best is to be always wary of this hard fact and drive/ride with maximum care to avoid this hoodlum class.
wangdu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 09:56   #38099
BHPian

I was unfortunate enough to be sideswiped hard from the right by an overtaking aggressive barely-out-of-teen auto driver last Saturday while trying to take a left turn on by bike on a comparatively busy street with approximate speed around 15-20 kmph.
I did not know what hit me first, the world whizzed suddenly in a rotational motion before a sickly thud to the tarmac with full weight on my Hips + outer Elbow + Shoulder + Head ( probable sequence).

Helmet helped the coconut stay in place - but was not able to move my shoulder at all following the fall apart from heavy disorientation.

After some initial attempts by the auto party to shift / single the blame - the driver turned doe eyed with requests to not report citing poor financial condition, domestic problems blah blah..

Long story short - broke the collar bone in 3 places, looking at 6 weeks of reduced capacity at work, enduring significant physical pain but at same time thankful that it could be much worse.

Also wondering what could be done to prevent this from happening - not much to my understanding as we just cannot have control over a moron who decides to rush you from behind.

Last edited by Arun yadav : 25th May 2023 at 09:58.
Arun yadav is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:30   #38100
BHPian

Quote:
Received this YouTube link as a WhatsApp forward

A brush is a brush, the driver should have stopped and just pulled up his hand, a sorry deflates any situation immediately. A stronger swipe could have been fatal as they had no helmets.

Having said that, 90% of bikers are really ignorant people that don’t follow road rules, feel their grandfather built these roads and always hurl abuses instantaneously.

A pot hits a stone or a stone hits a pot, only pot gets damaged. Let’s just stay away from such stones aka helmetless bikers

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th May 2023 at 16:28. Reason: Fixed Quote. Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
Rakeshmbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks