Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2019, 14:55   #28396
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

That said, about a turn, I think everyone here missed the point that the Ciaz guy had his RIGHT SIDE TURN INDICATOR ON which probably shows us that the two vehicles were about to turn towards the right maybe to maneuver a u-turn as there is no visible right turn there. We couldn't possibly see the break in the median from the Nexons angle of view.
Yes he did have his blinkers on but that doesn't give him the authority to just park his car on the high speed lane.

Either he became distracted mid-way ( call? ) or he was some elderly person who was trying to take his own sweet time for the turn. Anyways, I hope everybody came out okay and good to see both cars are in a fixable condition.

Last edited by SaiSW : 28th April 2019 at 14:59.
Old 29th April 2019, 11:19   #28397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
Another Accident in New Delhi. A man using phone ran over his nephew...
How hard it is for him to carry the kid and drop him at his house? How do you expect a 3-year old kid to cross the road? Why on earth did you have to start the car by looking at your phone?

There are so many questions pour into my mind and now that I am reading that the kid is no more, I have nothing but anger inside me. I never let my kids hand when I walk in the street, no matter how sparse/dense the traffic is.

The kid paid price for the stupidity & negligence of the driver and now the parents had to suffer the trauma.

As a guy who lost his 6-year old kid recently to fever, I know how hard it is to lose your child and live the life with guilt and worry. Every passing day is a hell and there is no way anyone can console them.

This guy MUST be punished. I hate it when I see guys check their phones while driving and the most stupidest thing is, every new vehicle these days have Bluetooth for taking calls. Then whats the need for looking at your phone when you are driving?

I feel like taking a crowbar and hit these guy to death. But sanity prevails and I'm sitting here, crying for the lost soul and it reminds me of my son.

May his soul RIP and god gives strength to his parents to survive this loss.
xcentrk is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 15:32   #28398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Yes he did have his blinkers on but that doesn't give him the authority to just park his car on the high speed lane.
If someone wants to turn right through a legitimate gap in the median, he has to wait in the right lane for a gap in the moving traffic on the other side. Un-fortunately the highway authorities have provided for a gap in the median without proper extra lane for vehicles executing the turn. This type of lane I have seen in a few stretches on Bangalore-Chennai Highway.
silvercloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 18:44   #28399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

This kind of act was very common in Bihar about 25 years back but instead of rock, they would use a thick rope across the road to throw riders to the ground. And these miscreants would work in groups.
This happened to me on the Mumbai-Pune expressway a month back, while returning from Lonavala after dinner, someone kept a truck tyre in between the expressway and I kid you not, it was a tyre without any rim in it, but still that huge tyre was in between the road, I saw it at the last second, I was doing like 85 kmph, the lower right part of the bumper is bent, broken and hanging down like a broken jaw, not to mention the loud sound and almost losing control of the car in an attempt to avoid it.

Stopped the car 1 kilometer after the hit just to check, a truck guy who saw this stopped behind me and came out to check if everything was okay with the car, looked like someone's evil intention to me.

A highway patrol pickup truck was parked 10 kilometers away, stopped and reported the same to him, he said he will immediately get the tyre removed before someone dies or gets injured.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 21:44   #28400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Now that the CCTV footage is publicly available, I really hope the law catches up with this animal and sets an example. It's really shocking to see the levels that humanity has stooped down to.
From this news link, it seems the law has caught up to them, should be given the maximum punishment applicable

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69061696.cms
Old 1st May 2019, 10:56   #28401
Senior - BHPian

Cross-posting an accident from the Tata Harrier thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd May 2019 at 22:07. Reason: avoid cross-posting
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 18:04   #28402
BHPian

The car tried to overtake another vehicle, collided with a lorry. Five persons, including a 3-year-old girl, were killed. The road is a narrow one without any lane markings but wide enough for 2-way vehicle movement.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-th01accident.jpg

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le26997501.ece
Nimalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 21:04   #28403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
The car tried to overtake another vehicle, collided with a lorry. Five persons, including a 3-year-old girl, were killed. The road is a narrow one without any lane markings but wide enough for 2-way vehicle movement.
Attachment 1873082
Horrific ! Doubtful if the front seat passengers have survived. The Hindu's report says five passengers were killed. The foolhardiness and the desire to rashly emerge ahead of all others can be so dangerous. Very few drivers realise this and once they are on the driver's seat, logic and level headed thinking are relegated to the backseat.

And lastly, the Swift's famed ZERO stars at the NCAP tests come alive. In defence, I would say that before such a huge truck any other car would crumble be it ZERO or FOUR/FIVE stars. The driver ought to be a human being and not someone so insane to head-on collide with an oncoming truck while overtaking. It shows overt use and exercise of sheer wantonness, negligence and lastly madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Cross-posting from the Tata Harrier thread.
Thumbs up to the safe bodyshells of Tata cars. The collision is evidently at a low speed, but then any other average car could have been crushed by the Tata truck. Its Tata versus Tata here !

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2019 at 21:38. Reason: Posts merged on request.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:53   #28404
Senior - BHPian

The guy behind the wheel, Rajasekaran, lived in the U.S. and had come for vacation. He belonged to Erode and not familiar with this location. I frequently drive on this road and compared to many other roads around here, this road has better visibility and space to maneuver. Very scarce traffic in early hours. RIP the departed souls. I can't resist to say it was a mis adventure by the NRI.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:13   #28405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
..the Swift's famed ZERO stars at the NCAP tests come alive. In defence, I would say that before such a huge truck any other car would crumble be it ZERO or FOUR/FIVE stars.
The problem is with the enormous height of the truck bumpers.

The truck bumpers have to be placed much lower like in most countries so that in the event of a collision with a car/lighter lower vehicle, the car can take the impact on its front and offer better chances of survival of its occupants, only then the crash ratings/passive safety features are effective.

If the bumpers are unevenly matched, the car will always slide under the truck chassis with the car pillars take all the impact with catastrophic consequences for the occupants. The car's safety ratings will have very little effectiveness in this case.

High time regulations to lower bumper (and chassis) height are enforced immediately atleast for all new trucks.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd May 2019 at 11:25.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:34   #28406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

High time regulations to lower bumper (and chassis) height are enforced immediately atleast for all new trucks.
There is already a rule for trucks to have front/rear and side under-run bars for few years in India now.
Most of the times, these are removed or damaged and do not serve the purpose. Although these are bolted onto to the truck chassis, I wonder looking at the actual bar of some new trucks as to how effective they would be especially when the speed of impact is high.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:41   #28407
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1873082

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le26997501.ece
There seems to be quite a lot of space on the right side of the car which makes it seem that the accident didn't exactly happen on the complete wrong side of the road. Since it looks like an exact head on collision, could the truck driver also have been overtaking and not in his lane?
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:57   #28408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
There seems to be quite a lot of space on the right side of the car which makes it seem that the accident didn't exactly happen on the complete wrong side of the road. Since it looks like an exact head on collision, could the truck driver also have been overtaking and not in his lane?
No. The photograph is taken in such an angle that it appears to be so. At least the rear passengers would have survived if they had seat belts on. But again nobody wears it in the rear. The reactions I get when I ask someone in the back to wear it!(as if I am a weirdo). Below is the video link:

Last edited by Nimalan : 2nd May 2019 at 12:03.
Nimalan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:11   #28409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Quote:
No. The photograph is taken in such an angle that it appears to be so.
The rear wheels of the truck has locked up and caused the rear to slide, which is why the front of the truck is almost at the middle of the road. Even if it hadn't slid, the car's position shows it would have still been a head on.
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:22   #28410
BHPian

Four engineering students were killed in a fatal accident occured in the outskirts of Hyderabad on tuesday late night. There were no proper images of the ill fated vehicle available in any of the news papers. In one news paper, it was mentioned as a Honda Sedan. I am not sure whether it is true of not.

Only an image of the scattered MID is available. Does this belong to older generations Honda City ?
With difficulty, I am able to get the car image as attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1main10b.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Hickstead : 2nd May 2019 at 17:40. Reason: added another attachment
Hickstead is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks