Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 18:05   #31636
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
He had to slow down due to the potholes on the Mumbai-Goa NH66 highway and that's when I overtook him as Thar does not have to be slowed down as much as a delicate sedan such as Amaze.
This is quite an issue it seems. I drive a Duster and small potholes and undulations on the roads don't faze me as much as countless cabs like Dezire, Amaze etc plying on the highways. They always try to swerve and are royally hurt if you honk behind them and they have to stay in their lanes and use brakes instead of steering.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:42   #31637
BHPian

Quote:

You can also see a dent on the left tire fender.

Serves him well.

Yes, I observed the part where amaze left rear tyre fender took a hit and vibrated a lot. I smiled immediately on seeing that. Good to know that there are no damages to your Thar. I also get similar kind of attitude from bikes and smaller cars like mid size sedans and hatchbacks often whenever I drive Sierra, Qualis Innova and Crysta. They think their vehicles are faster and compact so that they can squeeze in between.
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 19:02   #31638
Distinguished - BHPian

I sometimes imagine having, on the back of my car, "I'm in front of you. If it wasn't me it would be someone else. It isn't personal. Get over it."

Similarly, there could be, "I overtook you. Just means I'm going faster, If you want to go fast, go ahead. Whatever: live with it."

Don't understand how people get so personally involved with this stuff. Very unhealthy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 19:29   #31639
BHPian

Not condoning the stupid overtake by the Amaze.

But I'd be annoyed too if I were carefully maneuvering my 'delicate' car on a potholed road trying not to scrape the underbody of the car only to see a bigger vehicle zoom past me almost cutting me off. Maybe he intended to move right after avoiding the pothole.
I think you were very close to him when you overtook. Posting two screenshots from your video.
Name:  thar_amaze1.PNG
Views: 5194
Size:  201.5 KB Name:  thar_amaze2.PNG
Views: 5181
Size:  182.6 KB
sanjaykk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 19:56   #31640
Senior - BHPian

The first shot is when the Thar was going ahead , sailing over the potholes , on a road with a clear divider. The gap seems narrow because of the angle of the Dash Cam.

The second one is the Amaze going past on a narrower road which clearly was stupid of him to do so.

Sometimes when I drive my Baleno and trying to navigate through a situation like this , I also get annoyed when I see a Bigger SUV go past the bad roads. But then , when I drive my Crysta, I feel otherwise. It’s all inside the head.

Bottom line , the Amaze guy should have had the time to cool off and maintain a bit of calm in the head. He did act crazy.
jkrishnakj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 20:04   #31641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I think you were very close to him when you overtook. Posting two screenshots from your video.
Attachment 2060830 Attachment 2060831
If you see closely, he was trying to cut my lane in the pic that you have posted but moved away looking at the size of my vehicle then. His initial intention being, why should anyone overtake me? Looks like it perpetually hurts his ego.
Also, there was enough space and I am the person to take utmost care especially while drving my Thar because it has very rough edges all around.

Quote:
"But I'd be annoyed too if I were carefully maneuvering my 'delicate' car on a potholed road trying not to scrape the underbody of the car only to see a bigger vehicle zoom past me almost cutting me off."
Annoyed for what ? If he was annoyed for someone overtaking him, what should someone like me do whose Jeep he banged while overtaking? Just imagine if I was driving a Merc Or Beemer. Estimate the damage caused, let alone the risk to my life.

Annoyance is an emotion which is better left at home once you are at the wheel. In this case I haven't slowed him down or intimdated him in anyway. Its a normal overatake if you see the clip. How anyone takes it entirely depends in his/hers temprament.

Also, especially on State/National highways and unknown territories, its best to avoid any kind of revenge or confrontation just because you have a bigger car or on other hand a faster car like the Amaze in this case.

I forgot to mention, a young lad was behind the wheel of Amaze. Needless to say patience comes with experience and time you spend behind the wheel.
TaurusAl is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 20:41   #31642
BHPian

Quote:
If you see closely, he was trying to cut my lane in the pic that you have posted but moved away looking at the size of my vehicle then. His initial intention being, why should anyone overtake me? Looks like it perpetually hurts his ego.
Also, there was enough space and I am the person to take utmost care especially while drving my Thar because it has very rough edges all around.
You both were in the same lane initially, he in front and you behind. He moved to the left trying to avoid a pothole. And then I think he intended to come back into the right most lane. At that point you honked at him and overtook him.
This is what I can deduce from the video. I might be totally wrong.

Quote:
Annoyance is an emotion which is better left at home once you are at the wheel.
Of course! Not debating that.
Old 29th September 2020, 20:47   #31643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You both were in the same lane initially, he in front and you behind. He moved to the left trying to avoid a pothole. And then I think he intended to come back into the right most lane. At that point you honked at him and overtook him.
But the Amaze driver shouldn't even be weaving left and right willy nilly in the first place. He really should watch his RVMs and blindspot before changing lanes. He has a small mechanism called a brake which he didn't properly use, when confronted by battered roads. Whichever way you cut it, the Amaze guy is guilty. In any case, he himself knew that he's guilty on all counts, so he took off instead of stopping to fight and to demand financial reparations for the dent that he sustained.
locusjag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 20:58   #31644
BHPian

If he moved to the left to avoid potholes and then slowed down as the left side was also patchy, and then wanted to come back to the right lane but found a Thar in the way overtaking him-

He can only blame destiny for that and not the guy behind .

Or he can drag the municipality to the court for bad maintenance of the road or sue Honda for manufacturing a car that he needs to slow down so much to handle a bad stretch or blame himself or his Dad for not buying an SUV.

He can visit this thread for a start-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4885787 (Crossovers vs Sedans: Your choice & why?)
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 21:32   #31645
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I can deduce from the video. I might be totally wrong.

Yes my friend, you are totally wrong. Please watch the video again, they were not in the same lane, Amaze guy was on the left and Thar was on the right, there is good amount of space for two vehicles on that road, with little bit of road left towards left side of Amaze too. (That was a 4 lane road, 2 lanes for each side). Amaze slowed down for potholes while Thar which was on the right did not stop for those potholes as the suspension and tyres of bigger vehicles can easily dodge them without affecting passengers in the cabin. Also Thar is on the right lane and he has complete right of way. Probably Amaze guy wanted to swerve into right lane, but on seeing thar in that lane, he had to go through that rough patch on the left most lane where his car was already present.

Now coming to Amaze's rogue overtaking move, this ain't an F1 race. That 4 lane road was narrowed to a 2 lane road (1 lane each side) after crossing the small bridge / culvert. With Buses coming from opposite direction and flashing lights, this dude on Amaze wanted to show his heroism, pulled out a suicidal stunt, but due to the presence of mind and composure of TaurusAl, he survived, had TaurusAl swerved to right, Amaze guy would end up head on with the bus. Also note, there was a swift with hazards on the left side when this happened, amateur drivers would get panicked by the Amaze guy's suicidal move and might end up ramming swift, but TaurusAl looked like an experienced driver, he braked hard but did not swerve. The fault totally lies with the Amaze guy, may be his ego got hurt, or may be he is in a hurry to go somewhere, but finally ended up getting a small dent on his rear quarter panel.

IMHO, This video of Amaze guy should also be posted in this thread (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)

As I said in my previous post, I faced such drivers on smaller sedans and hatchbacks many times when I drove cars like Sierra, Safari, XUV, Qualis, Innova, Crysta and other bigger vehicles over the years. I just smile at their stupidity. Even after all those stunts, they wouldn't even go very far, I usually catch up to them near the next stretch of road with potholes or bad patches. And when I drive smaller cars, I always be cautious not to cut off very close to bigger vehicles especially trucks and buses. Adapting to safe driving is good not just for us, but other motorists and road users too.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 29th September 2020 at 21:40. Reason: shortened URL
WhiteSierra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 22:47   #31646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the video you can clearly see how his ego got hurt when I overtook him.
I didn't see any ego being hurt, at least couldn't make out from the video. May be, isn't that your perception that his ego was hurt?
Quote:
He came out of no where and when I least expected that anyone would overtake me on a narrow road with oncoming heavy traffic. I braked really hard to save him from getting fish tailed due to the push of Thar on left rear end of Amaze and going right under the oncoming bus.
That is a very bad driving & overtaking. He could have got into a bigger mess and he was lucky to escape. But how is his overtaking related to your overtaking? In between those 5+ minutes, many would have overtaken him? Does he go after every vehicle that overtakes him? Then Amaze is the wrong car for him.
Quote:
But I'd be annoyed too if I were carefully maneuvering my 'delicate' car on a potholed road trying not to scrape the underbody of the car only to see a bigger vehicle zoom past me almost cutting me off.
I saw Amaze in the left lane & Thar in the right lane. How is that cutting off? BTW, why would anybody be annoyed if one vehicle overtakes another? You haven't bought the vehicle that would overtake all other vehicles on all roads, isn't it?

Last edited by msdivy : 29th September 2020 at 22:48.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 11:14   #31647
BHPian

Quote:
Not condoning the stupid overtake by the Amaze.

But I'd be annoyed too if I were carefully maneuvering my 'delicate' car on a potholed road trying not to scrape the underbody of the car only to see a bigger vehicle zoom past me almost cutting me off. Maybe he intended to move right after avoiding the pothole.
Annoyed why? I don't understand this part no matter which lane you are in and even if there is obstruction say like a Bull or pot hole on the road blocking your lane. Either the car has to brake and stop or change lanes only after checking RVM and blind spots. There are no two ways about this.

I drive a remapped V-cross, on bad patches I gleefully overtake the soft roaders and sedans. Thats because the V-cross is designed and built for that. Come curvy sections of well paved road on the same highway, I politely give way to the same cars and I don't get annoyed when they pass me even though I have the power after the remap to keep up with them. No point pushing the truck around corners testing its limits.
tazmaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 15:19   #31648
BHPian

Quote:
I was driving from Goa to Mumbai last weekend and I encountered this moron in Honda Amaze.
Happy that you are sound and safe, if not for Thar, the story could have been scary. I always belive in this, God is watching everything we do, for some mistakes it takes time for us to be punished, for some we get it the next moment. Wish the chap learns to drive the car first, forget about taking it in highway.

Venue accident, no news on how this happened, on the looks of it, the car has taken the impact quite well.

Source - Hyundai Venue All India owners club FB page.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-v1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-v2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-v3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-v4.jpg  

vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 16:34   #31649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was ]
You know what that bump by him was? Szechwan sauce, with Momos. You can have a lot of it and enjoy it, but there's a lot of future regret. That crash must have felt good for him, "I showed him, the thar ", but when he sees his car when he gets home, it's all burn, baby.

Kudos for not losing your cool. In Delhi, this would have been going left right and centre. Probably something to do with the heat.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 23:19   #31650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
.... looks of it, the car has taken the impact quite well.

Source - Hyundai Venue All India owners club FB page.
Looks like the Venue had a roll-over rather than an impact.
High sprung cross-overs can easily topple/roll-over if driven fast on curves or if the steering is swerved suddenly to avoid an obstacle.

It appears brand new with the showroom ribbon still on the bonnet.

It is very important for any driver to take it easy with a vehicle they may not be familiar with. It takes time to fully understand the strengths and limits of a vehicle.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th September 2020 at 23:23.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks