Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:22   #2641
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
can anybody guess what might have caused this cabbie to stop in the fast lane on a curve on a flyover?
01. On a call on his mobile ?

02. Wanted to answer natures call ?
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:37   #2642
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Dear Lord, please don't tell me he is putting his head out and unloading a gob of spit on the road!
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:49   #2643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Dear Lord, please don't tell me he is putting his head out and unloading a gob of spit on the road!
Cabbies today are proficient in multitasking. Surely they can spit, drive and talk on their phone at the same time.

I agree with Xryder, my guess would be answering nature's call. He cant drive and do that simultaneously, can he?
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:06   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
01. On a call on his mobile ?

02. Wanted to answer natures call ?
yep, he was on his phone! look at the way he's diagonally parked it. btw, he was a young guy; my guess is early 20's.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:17   #2645
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for clearing that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
Cabbies today are proficient in multitasking. Surely they can spit, drive and talk on their phone at the same time.
A few days ago, I was driving in the fast lane when this yellow-plate Indica in the slow lane slowed down. I instinctively braked and no sooner I had than the door opened- WIDE- and the driver pops his head out and unloads a gob of red stuff on the road. Disgusting.
My wife smiled appreciatively at me for slowing down in time- she is a big fan of my driving instincts- and then looked at me and asked, "He's willing to get his head knocked off just to SPIT?"
I've never laughed so hard in my life. Honestly- how stupid do you have to be to endanger yourself and others like that?

Quote:
I agree with Xryder, my guess would be answering nature's call. He cant drive and do that simultaneously, can he?
Don't bet on it. Inconsiderate boors they may be but nobody beats desi drivers in ingenuity.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:41   #2646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yep, he was on his phone! look at the way he's diagonally parked it. btw, he was a young guy; my guess is early 20's.
On the brighter side, atleast he understands one thing - stop your car if you want to answer the phone. Now for the other lessons...
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:13   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Had an experience with a crazy autowallah today.

This morning, was on my way to chalakudy from angamaly on the superb section of the NH-47.

I was doing fairly good speeds(read 110km/hr) on my waggie on the right lane when a Fortuner came by and I moved to the left lane to let him pass.
While he was overtaking me, suddenly an Ape decides to cross the highway median(through the gap provided for U turns) and jumps into the right lane of our side, the side where the Fortuner guy and I was doing speeds of 100+ km/hr!!

The Fortuner braked hard and dived into the left lane, narrowly missing my front bumper!! I had to brake really hard too, or else I would have hit him for sure. There was no way I could see this coming, as the size of the Fortuner prevented me from seeing anything on the right side!!

People say loads about the immense road presence of the Fortuner. Apparently this didn't work on the auto guy, for all we know he could be an ex-truckie who was used to other motorists giving his truck all the respect he wanted!!
I am a regular traveller between Kochi and Thrissur. Though the newly laid 4 lane is excellent to drive, speeds above 100 on this route can be fatal as there are number of U turns and careless pedestrian crossing.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:05   #2648
Distinguished - BHPian

I couldn't post this yesterday, I was busy at office.

Yesterday, I was coming to my office in EC.
It was around 07:45 when I saw that there was a block on the BETL.
After 3 minutes of slow moving traffic, I expected some accident.
But what I saw was a group of "I"s (supposedly intelligent) from the company, the big "I"

One of their company buses had stalled on the right lane of the BETL where the left lane meant for busses/2wheelers and right lane for cars.
Even if that is forgivable, What they did after that is the main part here.
Their company bus from an other route, which came behind this was stopped and the empty seats were filled.
By the time I passed, half of the people got onto the other bus, and the remaining people were waiting for another vehicle.

"Fair enough" you might say..."Why am I posting it here" you might think...

The actual thing is, the other bus was stopped on the left lane, effectively blocking the whole road and the whole traffic was made to stop till the people got onto the other bus.

Now what do I call this group of "I"s??? Intelligent???

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd August 2011 at 09:08.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:32   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

One of their company buses had stalled on the right lane of the BETL where the left lane meant for busses/2wheelers and right lane for cars.
Even if that is forgivable

<snip>

"Fair enough" you might say..."Why am I posting it here" you might think...

The actual thing is, the other bus was stopped on the left lane, effectively blocking the whole road and the whole traffic was made to stop till the people got onto the other bus.
Hmmm. I think the first crime, that you are saying is forgivable, is the bigger of the two, and should not be pardoned because the first crime is the cause for the aggravation caused to others on the road.

They probably had to block the traffic because otherwise their employees would be getting off the broken down bus and straight into moving traffic.
Had the bus been in the left lane originally, they would not have had to do that.

Having said that, we see so many broken down buses and trucks causing traffic jams. Why can't the RTO or BTP keep a check on their road worthiness?
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:22   #2650
Senior - BHPian

I am not too sure I had been a bad driver in this instance- Crawling traffic with idiots trying to beat the line by going off the road and merging into my line if they could not proceed further.

So One such imbecile is trying to barge into my lane and poking his nose, I have enough space to go ahead in spite of this and so I did, but I did not realize that the Santro ahead of me driven by a lady either did not either have working brake lamps or the lady is using hand brake for the purpose, whatever the reason I did not have a clue that the other wise crawling Santro would come to a sudden stop.

I ended up giving a mild bump to the Santro ahead :(. No damages to either cars, but my conscience is pinching me. I am not too sure if I was at fault, the lady came out and asked and I apologized, but when I later thought about it I realized even she was at fault because her brake lamps are not working for me to judge her car.

I wonder how such small things spoil our day!!
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:55   #2651
Distinguished - BHPian

She was wrong not to have working brake lights --- but you were right to apologise for the bump, as it is always our fault when we run into the person in front. In slow-moving traffic, for instance, a driver may stall and apply the handbrake before restarting the engine: there won't be any brake lights.

If she accepted your apology, then your days should not have been spoilt

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd August 2011 at 11:57.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:08   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I wonder how such small things spoil our day!!
Are you disappointed that your conversation didnt last longer?!

Perhaps she just stalled as against braked. I have had a similar instance when an Alto guy stalled on Paud road; probably because he was driving in a higher gear than needed. Fortunately for me this road is so notorious that I was ready to stand on my brakes and avoid rear ending him!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:13   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In slow-moving traffic, for instance, a driver may stall and apply the handbrake before restarting the engine: there won't be any brake lights.

If she accepted your apology, then your days should not have been spoilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Perhaps she just stalled as against braked!

I am sure she did not stall, I observed this for the few moments I was tailing her car post the incident. There is no indication from her brake lamps when she brakes, so either she is using hand brakes or the tail lamps don't work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Are you disappointed that your conversation didnt last longer?!
No I think I have enough attention to deal with

Last edited by anilisanil : 3rd August 2011 at 12:14.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:20   #2654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
No I think I have enough attention to deal with
Folks, anil is quite a looker not to mention his dark beauty Figo with killer alloys adding to the allure. So I wouldn't discount it entirely LOL.

Back on-topic, Thad is right: you hit another car from behind, it's your fault. UNLESS that person was moving backward. I have had a situation when a guy on a slope in front of me came backwards and gently knocked into my bumper. Then he gets out of the car and starts shouting at me . I told him dude, you were in neutral and this is a slope. He had the grace to look embarassed and mumble an apology. This happened a long time ago.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:51   #2655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UNLESS that person was moving backward
Well, in that case, they ran into you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks