Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 19:14   #2776
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Typical Indian mindset! You say some? I say MOST! You'd rarely, VERY rarely find someone acknowledging a mistake or acknowledging another mortals presence or right of way and yield.

Be it the lesser educated souls or the highly literate ones! Remember the Justice Saldanha case? (cutting the red n white road dividing strip with a pair of scissors to take a U turn? and then standing by his actions saying he was right in doing so?)

Here is the link for the benefit of others ==> MF Saldanha takes a
Oh I remember this. Yes, his house is apparently somewhere around Rest House Road. Now when we have senior so-called-educated officials doing these things, how can we expect the general population to follow traffic rules.

I remember I'd mistakenly taken a U-Turn on MG Road once. I was in a friend's car actually, and it was TN registered. After taking the turn, we were flagged down by a 'senior' looking cop, who nearly refused to give us a challan.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:23   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Some people think they own the road.

I think I've seen this guy drive, and I've had a close call with him once, somewhere in Domlur. I recognize the AP registration. It was a maroon Indica! I remember I was on Old Airport Road approaching the Flyover. There is a left-exit-ramp that takes you straight onto 100 Ft Road, Indiranagar. I was preparing to take a left into the exit and was probably 50 meters away from the turn, when this guy overtook me from the left and cut me off and went straight while I took the turn!
But shouldn't you have been in the left most lane already if you were planning to take a left 50 m ahead?

That way there would not have been any space for him to overtake. Maybe he would have used the border/ footpath then.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:33   #2778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
But shouldn't you have been in the left most lane already if you were planning to take a left 50 m ahead?

That way there would not have been any space for him to overtake. Maybe he would have used the border/ footpath then.
I was in the left-most lane. Okay, not completely. A bike guy could have gone through. But it was raining that day, and there is this huge puddle that collects right in front of the exit ramp. Peak-hour traffic would only mean that there are several commuters who take the bus. They always walk on that footpath and cross the flyover-entry path, right where the puddle is!

I'm very very familiar with that route and know that I should avoid it. There is a pot-hole there too, if I remember correctly.

So I'd switched over from the right to the left just after the Domlur-traffic-signal, and slowed down to take the left turn. I guess the guy needed to go to the bathroom very urgently. Taking a glorious whiz was of prime importance for him, and that's why he decided that it wouldn't be a problem cutting me off and even splashing water on poor pedestrians!
Old 13th September 2011, 19:38   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was in the left-most lane. Okay, not completely. A bike guy could have gone through. But it was raining that day, and there is this huge puddle that collects right in front of the exit ramp. Peak-hour traffic would only mean that there are several commuters who take the bus. They always walk on that footpath and cross the flyover-entry path, right where the puddle is!

I'm very very familiar with that route and know that I should avoid it. There is a pot-hole there too, if I remember correctly.

So I'd switched over from the right to the left just after the Domlur-traffic-signal, and slowed down to take the left turn. I guess the guy needed to go to the bathroom very urgently. Taking a glorious whiz was of prime importance for him, and that's why he decided that it wouldn't be a problem cutting me off and even splashing water on poor pedestrians!
Maybe he was thirstly and could not resist the puddle? Was he driving with his window down?

OT, I once had a bus blow water all over my face from a puddle. Certainly drank some, can't say it was a good experience.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:43   #2780
BHPian

So this video on YouTube, hats off to this common man.

EDIT: There are other such videos uploaded by him, do check them out too!

Last edited by prateekm : 14th September 2011 at 09:51.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 10:47   #2781
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the worst drivers of the lot are those who roll down their windows/ open their doors and spit. This morning, a guy in the front passenger seat of a 320d (could have been 330d, I didnt notice) rolled down his window and spat on the road. What ensued next was most interesting/ amusing for me.

A pillion rider on a bike to the left of this beemer (must be a college fellow) took a water bottle out of the side of his backpack and drank some water. As they overtook the beemer, he gargled in full public view and spat the gargled water all over the beemer's windshield/ bonnet

I dont think any of us on the road expected that response, and by the time the original spitter rolled down his window to shower some abuses, the biker duo had already speeded up and weaved ahead through the traffic. This beemer guy tried to look around probably to get some sympathy from other two wheelers on the road. One elderly gent on a scooter told him in Marathi (classic Puneri response I guess): At least that water was clean.

I cannot stop smiling since then

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th September 2011 at 10:48.
selfdrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 11:31   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

A pillion rider on a bike to the left of this beemer (must be a college fellow) took a water bottle out of the side of his backpack and drank some water. As they overtook the beemer, he gargled in full public view and spat the gargled water all over the beemer's windshield/ bonnet

I cannot stop smiling since then

Must have been quite a scene. But, I think the BMW wala would have been a driver. Good for him. Hope that teaches him a lesson. I remember a scene couple of years back when a Mercedes guy was driving with sun roof open and someone from bus spat pan right into it
Old 14th September 2011, 12:20   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Now that made my day. Kudos to the Kiddo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtecguy7166 View Post
But, I think the BMW wala would have been a driver.
Was in the front passenger seat, so not a driver. But I surely wouldn't consider a guy with a BMW to be a saint.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:29   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtecguy7166 View Post
I remember a scene couple of years back when a Mercedes guy was driving with sun roof open and someone from bus spat pan right into it
One of the reasons why sun roofs are not advisable in India. We never know whats headed our way; it could also be bird poop for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Was in the front passenger seat, so not a driver. But I surely wouldn't consider a guy with a BMW to be a saint.
Didnt look like a driver. He was wearing blinding gold and aviator sunglasses.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:41   #2785
BANNED

The sense of auto and bus drivers in chennai has become worse.
They are the worst people on the road.
They should make driving license test more stricter and more expensive
No road sense what so ever.

If in chennai steer clear from autos (new addittion - weird shapes of share auto) and govt buses, they all are always on a high.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:50   #2786
Senior - BHPian

People spitting or throwing garbage (empty packets of chips, water bottles, napkins, orange and banana peels) onto the roads are not bad drivers. They are bad citizens.
amitoj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:01   #2787
Distinguished - BHPian

- @selfdrive, that was hilarious! The biker is my hero, really.

I never drive with my windows open anymore, thanks to idiots like that BMW owner.

@amitoj- Most of these guys ARE bad drivers as well. The other day at the McDonald's junction at Hinjewadi, an Indica guy (not a yellowplate) STOPPED and made to open his door to spit outside. I was to his right just behind and stopped to observe what the hell he was doing. He suddenly realised that a bunch of people were staring at him, spat, shut door rather quickly and sped off.

My friend who was riding with me- also a BHPian but largely inactive- informed me, in all seriousness, "You would have knocked his block off!"

I nodded, thanking whatever Gods were keeping an eye out that day.

He shakes his head, "No, I mean WHY didn't you knock his block of?? I know *I* would!"

I grinned and thanked aforementioned Gods I was the one driving that day, not him!

Last edited by noopster : 14th September 2011 at 13:02.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:07   #2788
Senior - BHPian

@noopster, yes if the person littering and driving is the same, then they are guilty of being bad drivers as well as bad citizens
Your incident reminds me of that ad that says, "Our streets are filled with idiots"
How true.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:14   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
People spitting or throwing garbage (empty packets of chips, water bottles, napkins, orange and banana peels) onto the roads are not bad drivers. They are bad citizens.
true amitoj, they dont classify as bad drivers unless they do the same when they drive which is quite likely. I guess I was swayed by the other instances I have seen where drivers roll down windows or open doors to spit.

Last week, I was riding my bike when an i10 overtook me. The lady in the front passenger seat threw a banana peel that bounced off the front wheel of my bike. I acted as if I caught it and made an action of throwing it back inside her window. Boy was she scared?

Next thing she mouths a feeble sorry and asks her female companion to speed up.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:25   #2790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Agree.

But then , some one driving a bike on a foot path is a good driver because he is handling the bike well, but is not a good citizen since he is breaking the law by driving at a place which is out of bounds for a vehicle. Or even, some one jumping the signal can be a good driver, infact an excellent one, but is not a good citizen. So is he a bad driver or a just a bad bad citizen? I know

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks