Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 14:47   #8131
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Here's a different kind. Used up two slots effectively.....
And the same moron would've beamed with pleasure at having bought a car with reversing camera and sensors. To do what? Park exactly straddling TWO slots with millimeter precision? Idiot!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 15:44   #8132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Here's a different kind. Used up two slots effectively.
The vehicle's registration data makes me believe it's on company lease. Had encountered one such specimen. I sent a nicely worded email to the company's email address with a snap from the dash-cam footage attached. Got an apology in reply and also his word that he'll be more careful henceforth.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 15:49   #8133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, No amount of such advice will knock some sense in the minds of such people. I have come across similar situations wherein 2 wheelers have parked just in front of my car and another car right behind mine with very little space. Now how do i move my car.??
I came out to see if the 2 wheeler guy was around. Not finding him,I manged to moved his locked vehicle away from my car thereby creating space for me to get out.
Happens to me every night when I return home after office. At first I shouted at the guys who parked their bikes. Then I got angry. Since then, all I do is pull out the bike, leave it in the center of the road, park my vehicle and leave. Now, they hardly leave their bikes there.
naveenroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 19:05   #8134
Distinguished - BHPian

Heres a video from my dashcam showing the Wrong side warriors in full glory. What disturbes me more is that many of these cars have suited booted drivers (the Etios for ex).

Verna is the absolute King of these warriors!

He continued with his horns blaring and even took a sharp left just ahead of the City who braked abruptly to let him through.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 19:42   #8135
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

While coming down the multi level car park at the tech park today, an indica cabbie merged, well actually cut me in and joined the ramp downwards. I braked and let him pass in front of my car. A couple of levels down and I realized the indica's brake lamps aren't working
When we reached the ground floor and towards the exit gate I got a chance to quickly tell him the brake lamps aren't working and he retorts back saying yes, so what ?
Old 8th February 2016, 19:48   #8136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Heres a video from my dashcam showing the Wrong side warriors in full glory. What disturbes me more is that many of these cars have suited booted drivers (the Etios for ex).

Verna is the absolute King of these warriors!

He continued with his horns blaring and even took a sharp left just ahead of the City who braked abruptly to let him through.
Scary Verna video. All sorts of things could have gone wrong there

As for the wrong side warriors, it's a common sight these days sadly. Have space will occupy. We go forward on our lane and have to wait for them to merge back into their lane. Our time is wasted, who cares.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 20:19   #8137
Senior - BHPian

Suicidal Mother carrying her sleepy kid on a scooter !!

A woman riding a Honda Activa, with a sleepy kid standing in the front. At around 8 seconds, watch out the hanging hands. Clearly the kid is not alert !! A sudden maneuver or brake could thrown the kid out of the scooter !!

Excuse the video quality, it is compressed for an easy YouTube upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Heres a video from my dashcam
Buddy, what video editing tool you use to crop the video and retain the quality ? My videos are in the range of 200+ MB for a 2 minute shot.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 8th February 2016 at 20:21.
Old 9th February 2016, 14:46   #8138
BHPian

In Hyderabad, we have some bikers who have a strange way to indicate a turn. They just turn their heads one or two times in the direction they want to turn. If you are a regular in Hyderabad you will spot them. There will be an incident or a near miss if you don't spot this. And then they will blame you for driving rashly despite the biker having "indicated" his intended turn.

Another problem I have is near the signals or when there is extremely slow moving traffic. Two wheelers that are very close to the car may switch on their indicator, but it wont be visible to the driver of the car because the indicator light would be below the shoulder line of the car. The biker completes his turn thinking that he had indicated well in time, but the car driver will be taken by surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
a Darwin Award nominee on a scooter overtakes me from the right and then cuts across the front of the car to turn left!
We have similar specimens in Hyderabad as well. The traffic light turns green for the Right turn and Straight ahead. You are in the extreme left lane and you think it is safe to go right ahead, following the vehicle in front of you? Think again, there are these specimens on two wheels who squeeze ahead on your left and cut across you and those on your right (centre lane) to take the right turn.

This practice has become so rampant that it is almost accepted as a fair driving practice . You are expected to watch out for this. If you don't, it is you who are driving rash.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th February 2016 at 19:04.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:44   #8139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Suicidal Mother carrying her sleepy kid on a scooter !!
I came here to use the same adjective for two wheeler riders in Bangalore - suicidal. How else can you define this behaviour I encountered today - me going straight at a junction, already past the middle of the junction, a Darwin Award nominee on a scooter overtakes me from the right and then cuts across the front of the car to turn left!
Old 9th February 2016, 19:52   #8140
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a bad driver today while returning from office near IIT Powai. This guy driving a maroon coloured Ciaz was driving between the lanes from the Hiranandani signal turn towards Eastern express highway. He was talking on mobile and driving at 30 speeds. I flashed lights couple of times but no change. I honked mildly a couple of times still no change of stance of this guy and continues driving between lanes. So I had no other alternative but to honk a bit louder which hurts his ego as he had finished his call. So now he tries to act smart and keeps driving in my lane and braking suddenly. Knowing that the chap is not going to give me way I switch lanes and go ahead of him. Now on the slope from IIT Market towards Kanjurmarg flyover, this chap zig zags his way blaring his horn and I can see him in the IVRM approaching dangerously. I decided to play safe and allowed him the fast lane but he sticks to my lane again and tries to repeat the braking game. Although I was losing my cool but decided to play safe since I had a co passenger and decides to play with him in the braking routine till I got an edge after the Kanjurmarg signal where I zipped ahead on full throttle with no traffic in front of me. I guess I lost him on the Eastern expressway turn.

To summarize I guess I was stalked for asking way and following traffic rules. But knowing things could flare, I decided to maintain my calm is such volatile situations.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:19   #8141
BHPian

Had to encounter this freak (KA 51 9603) near Krupanidhi College. What impunity!

Not sure how these drivers are surviving without a scratch. There are other two wheeler riders who do this every other day.., but a bus?!?! That was a sight for me to behold.

PS: Took out the audio while editing

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th February 2016 at 08:04. Reason: Editing out the finer details of why the audio was muted
vnidta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:09   #8142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Had to encounter this freak (KA 51 9603) near Krupanidhi College. What impunity!
Unfortunately this is common in areas where such bus services operate. I have seen this frequently on Old Madras Road as you approach K R Puram Market. Whenever traffic backs up, I have seen such buses drive on the wrong side and rejoin ahead of the traffic through the next cut in the median.

I firmly believe this is "known" to the traffic cops and "choose" to look the other way. Else it will not be a routine thing to see. Maximizing number of trips by not caring 2 hoots for safety is their motto.
krish11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:14   #8143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Private Buses and the mayhem they create. Well, I have seen BMTC Buses too indulge in these kind of Median jumping to pass a signal before it turns red again.

This stunt is so rampant that it is a norm to see them do it. Along with these buses, at times there are bravehearts like drivers of TT who try their best to do this and and succeed too.

At the end of the journey, I now have a firm belief that the passengers actually open their generous wallets (Techies included) and tip the driver for having made them reach their destination only 3m20s faster than the tailing car that actually had stopped at the previous signal(s).

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th February 2016 at 14:28.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:25   #8144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
I firmly believe this is "known" to the traffic cops and "choose" to look the other way. Else it will not be a routine thing to see. Maximizing number of trips by not caring 2 hoots for safety is their motto.
I still don't understand why I like this statement, but the harsh reality in it is something to be hated The Hon. ACP of traffic division in Bangalore is trying his best to bring about a change in the way things are and to provide people with a feeling of safety. Unfortunately, the ones who are at the levels below who actually have the responsibility of making such vision a reality are not obliging. The moment they start strict enforcement, I am sure things will start changing. Let's hope that it happens sooner rather than later. After all, hope is what we have been left with

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At the end of the journey, I now have a firm belief that the passengers actually open their generous wallets (Techies included) and tip he driver for having made them reach their destination only 3m20s faster than the tailing car that actually had stopped at the previous signal(s).
If not tip them, there will be a word of praise for sure. Such was the situation in our office cab when I used to take one. Thankfully, I'm out of that world now and commute on my own.
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 15:43   #8145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Post on Bangalore Traffic police facebook page. They will challan him or something.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks