Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 22:39   #8566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Dude! Please avoid verbal altercations with such stupid females. You'll never know what will you land up with; unless you have a bunch of friends / locals with you and there is real time recording (which later may be "claimed" to be fabricated). It's a clear indication that she has "common sense" & "civil sense" + "attitude" deficiency; so avoid getting near. Indian law enforcement systems are heavily biased towards the ladies.

You wanna give a nudge, send those pics to the traffic police. I am not too sure if any action can be taken as it's a DN registration.
+1 to that. Personally I avoid even driving ahead, behind or behind or even near a lady driver. Just like a person normally avoids having any untoward hang ups with the female species in India given the biased laws here.

This doesn't mean that I don't respect women. Every sane person does. But a "lady" driver? I'm atleast a couple of metres away. I've seen them injure and kill enough people to know better.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 00:11   #8567
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

There are plenty of racer boys on Kerala roads who drive with absolutely no road discipline. I just slow down and let them go.

I always keep a safe distance from these vehicles

1. Tempo travellers
2. KSRTC buses
3. Speeding Innova taxis
4. Unloaded trucks (who think public transport road is F1 track)
Old 2nd August 2016, 00:14   #8568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
+1 to that. Personally I avoid even driving ahead, behind or behind or even near a lady driver. Just like a person normally avoids having any untoward hang ups with the female species in India given the biased laws here.

This doesn't mean that I don't respect women. Every sane person does. But a "lady" driver? I'm atleast a couple of metres away. I've seen them injure and kill enough people to know better.
Nope. You do not respect women. You say that you do, but the rest of your post says otherwise.

Equal rights. I shout at women who are trying to kill their kids as much as I do at men who are trying to kill their family. And my bias is to be surprised that, whilst women rarely do the macho-stupid things that men do, they take as many risks as men do, and regularly drive as badly. Hmmm... Must be something to do with who teaches them!

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:03   #8569
BHPian

The absolute definition of 'I have money to buy an Audi Q7 = I own the world'.

On an extremely crowded Sunday evening at a popular Mumbai mall. People were really struggling to find parking space. Packed to the brim.
And we have this...
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1470079990059.jpg  

Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:13   #8570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
Saw this "queen" of the roads today afternoon in Matunga (Next to UDCT).
What's with you and countless quarrels with the queens of Mumbai roads I wonder. Jokes apart, while you may be correct in finding them guilty of bad driving/parking, you cannot change them all.. you cannot change even one of them, man or woman.

There are areas of concern and areas of influence and unfortunately the roads are only an area of concern. We can influence partly by writing things here but it can only help so far. If you visit Bangalore you'd know that such things happen here by the minute, I've seen autos park 6 feet away from the kerb, people blocking out gates including that of my own home, absolutely reckless, homicidal driving, underage riding, lane changing without indication and so on. Even today I saw 2 under-aged boys with no helmets riding rashly on a two wheeler only to skid and fall, luckily no collateral damage. I see that as a total criminal violation compared to simply retarded parking by a licensed individual.

As I've always said, this thread says "Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em", created 11 years ago at a time when there were nowhere near as many vehicles as today, not as many people in metropolitan cities and surely much less the levels of arrogance that we see today. Today the more pertinent question should be "Good Drivers - How can we ever spot 'em'". If one should happen to spot them one must not hesitate to give a thumbs up for the restraint that they're showing.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:30   #8571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nope. You do not respect women. You say that you do, but the rest of your post says otherwise.
How Thad? I like to call a spade a spade even if that spade is a woman. I think that's equality alright.
I think we're getting off the subject. Sorry mods.
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:36   #8572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
while you may be correct in finding them guilty of bad driving/parking, you cannot change them all.. you cannot change even one of them, man or woman. ... ... ...
This is what my wife finally convinced me of. She does not drive, and does not realise that it is more often the risk to themselves and others that upsets me than any inconvenience or risk to our car's paintwork.

She has convinced me that I can't change anything. Still, I find it helps to let of steam, even if it is only inside the car with the windows shut. Better out than in, as my mother used to say. I let off steam and forget it. Move on. I used to get seriously angry and seriously upset. I've worked hard on the "driving yoga" and I have achieved a lot. When I have confronted people, I ask them to think about their family: they may not take any notice, but at least they sometimes get where I'm coming from.

And sometimes I have to apologise. Just occasionally, it might be me just missing the biker, rather than the other way round. And sometimes "sorry" gets a smile and a wave in return.
Old 2nd August 2016, 02:00   #8573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is what my wife finally convinced me of. She does not drive, and does not realise that it is more often the risk to themselves and others that upsets me than any inconvenience or risk to our car's paintwork.
I look at it in a way that we, as a society have reached a level of intelligence or consciousness, to understand easily, what is destructive and what isn't. I'd say every driver/rider out there, even the juvenile law-breakers know when they are doing wrong.. yet they defend it like its nobody's business and convince others that they never did anything wrong to begin with.

That's a big reason why I have no concern for motorists, since they know everything and yet continue to push their luck by committing one mistake after the other. Everyone gets their LL (learners permit) by answering basic questions like what the orange, red and green lights stand for.. they gain experience and suddenly the lights account for bupkis. They know what the rear-mirrors are for yet they never look at it, and indicators.. why do they even have them? I have to predict vehicular turns based on their direction of movement nowadays. Suddenly its perplexing how man doesn't bump into walls while walking with this level of moronicity. They did the crime, they'll do the time as well.

I've become an oblivious driver and it took me many years to master this. Oblivious only in the thinking sense, I'm all too aware what obstacles and vehicular movement happen around me and how to avoid them.. in every other sense I do not focus on the type of vehicles, their colours, or who is riding/driving them. I zone out and its just me, my car, music and the endless minefield that we call roads. Helped me tons and if I'm not stressed at all then all the better for everyone.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:54   #8574
BHPian

Quote:
...while you may be correct in finding them guilty of bad driving/parking, you cannot change them all.. you cannot change even one of them, man or woman.
Quote:
I've become an oblivious driver and it took me many years to master this. Oblivious only in the thinking sense, I'm all too aware what obstacles and vehicular movement happen around me and how to avoid them.
I have also begun to subscribe to this line of thinking, and I have become much calmer now in my driving, to the benefit of my wife and son who's at an impressionable age. While I used to get very irritated with people cutting me off, the fact remains they don't see any fault in doing so, and are not going to be convinced it is rude. Good manner is not something you are going to be able to explain and inculcate during one heated argument on the road side.
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:26   #8575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You wanna give a nudge, send those pics to the traffic police. I am not too sure if any action can be taken as it's a DN registration.
Thank you sir! I will be sending it to the traffic police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I've seen them injure and kill enough people to know better.
Thank you for your reply sir.I believe a bad driver is a bad driver, regardless of the gender. I have seen many fatal accidents on the road and in most cases the perpetrator was male. I also believe that enough water has flown below the bridge on the subject of Male vs Female drivers here on this forum and elsewhere. But the fact remains sir, a bad driver is a bad driver. We cannot generalize here
Quote:
Equal rights. I shout at women who are trying to kill their kids as much as I do at men who are trying to kill their family.
Totally agree with you there sir.I am afraid my OP gave a somewhat skewed opinion of my attitude towards women in general. I do believe in equality for all, in fact it is one of my core principles and as i said a bad driver is a bad driver regardless of the gender. If it was a male driver, i would have surely labeled him as the "king" of the road. Believe me i am gender blind to all things, in fact i was brought up to show deference towards women. If i have offended anyone then
Quote:
What's with you and countless quarrels with the queens of Mumbai roads I wonder. Jokes apart, while you may be correct in finding them guilty of bad driving/parking, you cannot change them all.. you cannot change even one of them, man or woman.
Today the more pertinent question should be "Good Drivers - How can we ever spot 'em'". If one should happen to spot them one must not hesitate to give a thumbs up for the restraint that they're showing.
Well sir, i still have not met my special one and am on the lookout for one, so maybe i tend to notice female drivers more. Maybe i will crash into one, and if we survive, love could blossom. People fall into love, i will literally crash into it !(Oh, i am so going to receive an infraction on this one)

I definately agree with you there sir and with the other things you have mentioned.But as they say, evil multiplies when good men stand idly by.I tried and tried again to keep my cool when dealing with such folks and i partly succeeded, but when i see such blatant abuse of the law and basic civic sense, i simply cannot stand idly by. In most cases, i walk up to the offender and try to reason with him in a good way. If he understands, well and good, otherwise i atleast have the satisfaction of trying. I totally understand that in the long term, we have little hope to change such driving habits, but the least we can do is try in our own small way.
Quote:
And sometimes I have to apologise. Just occasionally, it might be me just missing the biker, rather than the other way round. And sometimes "sorry" gets a smile and a wave in return.
True. The point which i am trying to get across sir, is the fact that none of us is perfect and i am sure that sometime, somewhere- knowingly or unknowingly i would have parked in the same way as she parked. However i am also sure of the fact that even if i would have parked in such a manner, i would have been aware of the fact that i am doing something wrong. What pains me is that nowadays people are not even aware that they are making a mistake and to add fuel to fire, when such a mistake is pointed out to them-all we get is an arrogant reply if not worse
Quote:
I look at it in a way that we, as a society have reached a level of intelligence or consciousness, to understand easily, what is destructive and what isn't. I'd say every driver/rider out there, even the juvenile law-breakers know when they are doing wrong.. yet they defend it like its nobody's business and convince others that they never did anything wrong to begin with.
Exactly my point. As i mentioned we as responsible drivers, simply cannot stand idly by. Yes by exercising defensive driving techniques, we can cut down on our own stress levels, but someday the law of averages will catch up with us and we will get into an incident with such drivers. If we start educating them now, maybe we can avoid an unpleasent experience in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have also begun to subscribe to this line of thinking, and I have become much calmer now in my driving, to the benefit of my wife and son who's at an impressionable age. While I used to get very irritated with people cutting me off, the fact remains they don't see any fault in doing so, and are not going to be convinced it is rude. Good manner is not something you are going to be able to explain and inculcate during one heated argument on the road side.
I am not saying getting into a heated agreement will help sir,in fact it will lead to even more problems, all i am saying is that if we could have a reasonable chat with the driver, then maybe we could both walk away happy.

Last edited by ankurchaturvedi : 2nd August 2016 at 13:33. Reason: Excess Smilies removed
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:27   #8576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also believe that enough water has flown below the bridge on the subject of Male vs Female drivers here on this forum and elsewhere.
We haven't even started!

I have noticed that more attention is drawn to rampantly sexist posts of late, and I'm pleased to see it. It is a slow progression. Also, jumping on every post with just a trace of sexism in it (and it is mostly unconcious) would be counter-productive. Change is slow, but change is sure.

Quote:
Well sir, i still have not met my special one and am on the lookout for one, so maybe i tend to notice female drivers more. Maybe i will crash into one, and if we survive, love could blossom. People fall into love, i will literally crash into it !(Oh, i am so going to receive an infraction on this one)
Ha ha, I wish you all the best in your search! And if were to loose all gender awareness and gender appreciation, the race would die out.

It fits to tell my story from only yesterday, and is an admission of my own potentially bad driving.

There was some special day at MGR Janaki College, a female-only college, and the young women leaving as I drove past were not looking just their ordinary-youthful-beauty selves, they were all dressed up in saris and fancy salwar kameez and looking completely stunning. By the dozen. How a massive pile-up did not happen, I do not know: certainly I had the greatest difficulty in keeping my eyes on the road!

I'm married. And not that young. I'm no saint, and don't pretend to be! Actually, I don't even want to be.

Quote:
I definately agree with you there sir and with the other things you have mentioned.But as they say, evil multiplies when good men stand idly by.I tried and tried again to keep my cool when dealing with such folks and i partly succeeded, but when i see such blatant abuse of the law and basic civic sense, i simply cannot stand idly by. In most cases, i walk up to the offender and try to reason with him in a good way. If he understands, well and good, otherwise i atleast have the satisfaction of trying. I totally understand that in the long term, we have little hope to change such driving habits, but the least we can do is try in our own small way.
I appreciate that you are trying to do good.

A biker once stopped, and asked me... "What?" I pointed out that he has overtaken me in the face of an oncoming vehicle, while I am moving out to pass a parked car on the left. My paintwork is replaceable, but his legs and his life are not.

He listened, but then said, "I know... but I am late for an appointment." Well, that is one step better than "I will do like that only."

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd August 2016 at 16:30.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:42   #8577
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your reply sir.I believe a bad driver is a bad driver, regardless of the gender. I have seen many fatal accidents on the road and in most cases the perpetrator was male. .

That's an interesting statistic but kind of incomplete. Most cases may seem to involve men, but, if you consider how many men drivers are there on the road at any given time as compared to women, or what the actual proportion of licensed men and women drivers is, of course it must be roughly something like 80% men as to 15% women and 5% "others", and then go on to see how many crashes each of them cause, keeping in mind the proportion, I still think the ladies would win any day hands down. Just saying.

Quote:
We haven't even started!

I have noticed that more attention is drawn to rampantly sexist posts of late, and I'm pleased to see it. It is a slow progression. Also, jumping on every post with just a trace of sexism in it (and it is mostly unconcious) would be counter-productive.
Totally agreed sir.
Actually, of late, in our beloved country, after the most famous beef satyagraha situation, women topics are the most touchy. For reasons better known to the ones who get so touched by just the word being uttered.

As for forums like ours, as soon as someone hears the word "women", or you can say sees it written somewhere, people just stop listening to what the writer wants to even say and immediately get judgemental, get suddenly chivalrous, get offended, get a *** moment, or something similar.

I humbly request all such unintentionally 'offended' fellow bhpians to please take it easy. No one is abusing anyone and it needn't be taken personally. We all are much above such useless banter, I think. If that was the case, then the respected mods would have done the needful and quarantined the said offender already.

That said, if someone has an opinion, maybe a personal one, and goes by it and shares it on a forum it can be taken as a heads up or a useful perspective in light of safety or other ways and it can be taken like a statistic. Just a statistic. Why has the "sexist" or other label even have to come out?
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:09   #8578
BHPian

I fear we are really going OT here. This was a thread titled "Bad drivers-How do you spot 'em"

Maybe we can better discuss this topic here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ian-roads.html
My 2 cents.

Last edited by ankurchaturvedi : 3rd August 2016 at 15:09. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:22   #8579
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Ok folks, timeout! This thread is about bad drivers and their telltale signs. Please desist immediately from stereotyping by class, creed, gender etc.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 18:28   #8580
BHPian

I normally stay away from drivers that have a Big red "L" on their car. Don't know how they would react in a tough situation. Staying in front, behind or besides is a big No for me. I stay atleast 1-2 cars lengths away.

I also stay away from Fortuner drivers. I know it is a nice car but the drivers tend to be bullish at times. May be because I own a little hatch .
mangespat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks