Old 20th January 2019, 21:47   #10516
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You've made it into Malayala Manorama:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Cartoq, HvK and now this. Sigh! So much gyaan.
And another one from a link in kannada.oneindia.com...

Link

Last edited by AltoLXI : 20th January 2019 at 21:50.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 15:33   #10517
BHPian

Earlier today. I did not move immediately as soon as the signal turned green, as there was rampant breaking of rules all around.

Another one, few minutes later. No one, literally no one stopped!

sinharishi is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 16:01   #10518
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you drive on the Indian roads, you are made to feel like an idiot quite often. You are made to feel like an idiot when you are the only one stopping the car behind the zebra crossing. The others have slowly made it passed the zebra crossing and since they have a headstart on you, you are automatically forced to follow them in the oncoming road. I have had instances where a whole car has come up and taken the place infront of me let alone the bikers. It is people like these who are actually genius, they tend to leave us fools behind them. Also, at signals like these, you have a constant fear of a genius or two who might just ram into you from behind if do not stop being an idiot and move your car ahead. At junctions like these, I tend to keep looking more in my rearview mirror than through my windshield.

I hope that I can gradually upscale my intellect to match the large number of genius people that I see on road. Alternately, it would be great if they can become an idiot like me .

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th January 2019 at 16:07. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
AYP is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 16:58   #10519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
At junctions like these, I tend to keep looking more in my rearview mirror than through my windshield.
that is typical me

fact is it is not just in junctions, but a good part of time..be it in city, be it highway

blame can even squarely go how the junctions are.
The recent signal put up here in (Chennai) junction at Taramani is a perfect example. Coming from SRP tools to Velachery side, the road narrows down from 3+ lane to barely 2 lanes in this direction. Vehicles compete each other to merge, some spill over to the wrong side and become the smart ones at front (as said above, it includes cars as well), and now they find a temporary pile of blocks kept in middle to serve as a small "intersection round about', which effectively slows down even the normal lane followers that they have to move half a lane to left and then proceed. Aah not finished, there are the other guys waiting to take a right turn in the opposite direction, but well ahead of their line. Overall once these hurdles are cleared, its time for signal to change, and hardly 3 to 4 lines of cars have moved ahead
ThePunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 06:07   #10520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
If you drive on the Indian roads, you are made to feel like an idiot quite often. <snip> .
True that !
  • When I'm subjected to intense staring / honking from others for not letting them pass when the signal turns amber...
  • When I do lane-changes only after giving indication + ample time for anyone to pass - but the autorikshaw/water-tanker/bikewallah/corporation bus all by default, and occasionally the guy with a luxury car just zooms/zips/zigzags their way in & out...
  • When I overtake a S-L-O-W moving moron (for whatever reason: have seen guys leaning over to their missus' seat & helping her do something on her mobile phone while driving in heavy traffic, couples arguing articulately, seemingly educated lot glued onto WA/FB on mobilephones ), and after couple of traffic signals, find the same guy in front of me again...
  • When people drive on roads oblivious to others' convenience, as if they own the road -- for instance on a double-lane road with heavy traffic on one lane, but hardly any on other and I'm in the latter with another S-L-O-W moving moron on bike talking on his mobilephone, head tilted one side & all...

All these plus many more make me feel like I'm an idiot trying to adhere to traffic rules in a country where people don't give two hoots to such! I try to control myself as much as possible, but there are times when they get my goat - after all I'm human too !
KrisTvpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 08:48   #10521
BHPian

Quote:
Earlier today. I did not move immediately as soon as the signal turned green, as there was rampant breaking of rules all around.
The 2nd video is absolutely frustrating, even to watch on video

In the 1st video, around 39-40 sec, a white coloured WagonR comes to a sudden halt to let you pass. Followed by 2-wheeler rear-ending another 2-wheeler and both end up falling. This is about 15 seconds after your Green signal. Did you still have green or were those 3 idiots trying to jump their red signal?
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:21   #10522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
In the 1st video, around 39-40 sec, a white coloured WagonR comes to a sudden halt to let you pass. Followed by 2-wheeler rear-ending another 2-wheeler and both end up falling. This is about 15 seconds after your Green signal. Did you still have green or were those 3 idiots trying to jump their red signal?
Trying to jump, following the Wagon R. I saw the Wagon R and slowed down again, I kept honking while crossing the junction.

When I started crossing another speeding Wagon R passed before me from the right, there was a Ciaz who managed to stop just in time, seeing the nose of my car on his way! It was madness all around. Looks like daily trend in the city.
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:48   #10523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
lot glued onto WA/FB on mobilephones

This.

To be honest, whenever I look around me, at least "1" car has someone viewing their mobile--be it moving or stationary. It is really scary and nerve racking to see this.
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:37   #10524
Senior - BHPian

Just another day en route to work :(
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 20:15   #10525
BHPian

I bought a dashcam recently - so some glimpses of the orderly traffic of Chennai!

Last edited by RedHerring : 2nd February 2019 at 20:35. Reason: Better quality video
RedHerring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 09:20   #10526
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought this must be one of those who do this occasionally, follow the tribe and get away quickly at that red light. We come face to face this morning, I could have easily confronted, made him wait for few seconds (if not reverse) but thought let me just go as I noticed the apologetic expression the face of the driver.

I reach back home after dropping my kid and I get a message from BHPian friend sandsun7 that I should upload the video of this rogue XUV (KA04MS9251) because he does this quite often at the same signal and around the same time and has noticed this!!

sandsun7 was right behind me on a 2 wheeler (I didn't notice that it was him) and he tried to confront this XUV owner. He said while the driver was apologetic saying they were getting late to school (), the co-passenger started hurling abuses on sandsun7 and that really could boil anyone's blood. After few seconds of loud voices, he left and so did the XUV towards rest of Bangalore roads to break the rules again!

Wrong side driving in Bangalore is now at the next level and soon RTO will make amendments in the rule book to make it legal.
paragsachania is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 09:46   #10527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

sandsun7 was right behind me on a 2 wheeler (I didn't notice that it was him) and he tried to confront this XUV owner. He said while the driver was apologetic saying they were getting late to school (), the co-passenger started hurling abuses on sandsun7 and that really could boil anyone's blood. After few seconds of loud voices, he left and so did the XUV towards rest of Bangalore roads to break the rules again!

Wrong side driving in Bangalore is now at the next level and soon RTO will make amendments in the rule book to make it legal.
After confronting the driver, I could feel he was being forced to come to the wrong side by the passengers. Was just letting the chap go when the co-passenger started shouting at me! This really enraged me. By this time traffic behind was being held up and continuous honking ensued. Had to let him go then.

NB: The windshield had an 'Army' sticker pasted on it.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 5th February 2019 at 09:47.
sandsun7 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 10:10   #10528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
NB: The windshield had an 'Army' sticker pasted on it.
That's one way to spot 'em bad drivers right there in my experience.

Whether it's official cars, pedestrians in uniform, on two wheelers (always with helmets to get into their cantonments) or private cars with stickers like this, a disproportionate number seem to forget their orderly, disciplined and rule based lives in the civilian world.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2019 at 12:54. Reason: Spacing
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 10:16   #10529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I reach back home after dropping my kid and I get a message from BHPian friend sandsun7 that I should upload the video of this rogue XUV (KA04MS9251) because he does this quite often at the same signal and around the same time and has noticed this!!
First of all, kudos to BHPian sandsun7 for being brave

And I agree with sandsun7's request. Kindly upload this video or share with Bangalore Traffic Police. This driver/vehicle owner deserves to be punished. Not only for breaking traffic rules, but also in setting a very bad example for the next generation (school kids in that vehicle) - That it is ok to break laws in this country.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 10:29   #10530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
And I agree with sandsun7's request. Kindly upload this video or share with Bangalore Traffic Police. This driver/vehicle owner deserves to be punished. Not only for breaking traffic rules, but also in setting a very bad example for the next generation (school kids in that vehicle) - That it is ok to break laws in this country.
That (posting onto BTP's page) was the next thing for me as I regularly post than be a mute spectator. So I have done my bit here and will now patiently watch the cops take action (on the post) and comment as usual that they have forwarded this to the respective Police station or will ask me to upload it to Public Eye portal.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks