Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2014, 19:59   #466
BHPian

Re: New VW Vento catches fire, brakes fail

Thank god they had survived. Does anybody know what was the reaction of the dealer and VW after this incident. Are they ready to give her a refund or a new car. Looks like I need to be more careful even after I get my cars serviced from authorised service stations.
Old 28th December 2014, 20:25   #467
BHPian

After hearing this incident, am going to make it a point to check my car at regular intervals. Whenever I leave my car to the service station, I check the oil levels, performance of the car's equipment and after I receive it, I just ride it in the highway as the dealership is right on the highway and I check the oil and fluid levels as well. Time to get double safe as New Year approaches.

Thanks,

Achyuth
Old 29th December 2014, 11:43   #468
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate incident.

Just when people had hope that Volkswagen had mended their ways after the exceptional service extended to the Jetta, here comes a reality check.

Good to hear no one was injured in the process. But my question is, if the car has burnt down, how will they ascertain the cause of the fire? Is there some kind of black box in the car that will help the investigators help understand what the problem was?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 29th December 2014 at 11:44.
Old 29th December 2014, 13:10   #469
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I believe the car was an automatic, considering how they say they were unable to change gears.
I wouldn't blindly believe such details reported by a news article. Could be that:

a) The driver panicked.

b) They're fibbing to get compensation from VW.

c) The car's electrical systems (and thus, engine) shut down. Then, it's believable that the brakes stopped functioning (pedal becomes very firm) and even the steering became too hard.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 09:39   #470
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sanyog Bajaj shares the following pictures of his BMW 320D catching fire:

Quote:
This mail is to narrate a shocking event with my BMW car to my media friends. BMW; known as the strongest and the most trusted luxury automotive brand in India. I and my family survived a fatal accident because of my BMW car no. UK 07 AT 8451 caught fire on road due to unknown reasons. This experience comes as a big shock as incident of this kind has never been attributed or associated to a brand like BMW. On 12th January 2015 around 9 pm, i noticed smoke coming out of my car's bonnet while eventually turned out into a fire. Me and my family immediately rushed out of the car and called police and fire brigade for rescue. I want my friends from media to take a strong note of this incident and also communicate the same to car makers. I am highly disheartened and disappointed by the customer response team of BMW as well, who had failed to comment adequately on this horrific accident. Till date i have heard no apologies or assurance from the brand. Is the company not finding Indian customers or India important enough to address such grave issues.
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-2.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-3.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-4.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-5.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-6.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-8.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-9.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-10.jpg

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-bmw-320-d-3-series-11.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:19   #471
BHPian

Brand New Maruti Alto 800 goes up in flames @Pune

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-alto.jpg

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...-up-in-flames/

Quote:
Hours after they bought their dream car, the Ghule family of Pimple Saudagar found their dream go up in flames. What has further compounded their miseries is that the dealer from whom they purchased the vehicle has apparently not given them any assurance on replacing the car.

Vaishali Ghule (34), a widow, bought Maruti Alto 800 car from Wonder Cars showroom in Chinchwad on Sunday. After they performed puja and took the car to Morya Gosavi temple in Chinchwad, they parked it outside their home in Pimple Saudagar.

Around 4 am on Monday, Ghule’s father-in-law woke up after hearing some noise outside the house. As he stepped out, he saw the car in flames. He called out Vaishali who tried to put off flames by using a fire extinguisher pulled out from the car. “The fire extinguisher did not work… I then called up the fire brigade,” said Vaishali. By the time the fire brigade reached the spot, the car was completely burnt.

“Our family watched in shock as the fire engulfed the car… My children hugged me and wept inconsolably. I myself was stunned beyond disbelief. It was a scenario we had never imagined even in our wildest of dream,” said Vaishali.

Vaishali said she had lost her husband two years ago and had managed to save Rs 70,000 for the down payment of the car. “The EMI was calculated to be Rs 7,250,” she said.

Vaishali’s brother Nilesh Garade said, “When I drove the car to Morya Gosavi temple, there was no problem whatsoever with the vehicle. The possibility of foul play is also ruled out as we have good relations in the neighbourhood,” he said. Garade said a team from Wonder Cars visited and inspected the burnt vehicle. “However, we are yet to get any response from them
regarding replacement of the vehicle,” he said. “We are really very worried. We do not know what will happen. Will we get a new car or not? We are all hoping that the Maruti will take note of our plight and give us a brand new car,” he added.

The police also denied that there was any sabotage. “There was no sabotage… probably the car caught fire because of CNG leakage. It is a matter of investigation and only a technical person would be able to tell what exactly happened,” said Assistant Police Inspector M P Sonawane.
Despite repeated calls, Wonder Cars refused to respond. When a call was made to the showroom, the person at the showroom said that the manager was away and refused to share his mobile number.

When told that it was a serious matter and The Indian Express would like to take their version, the person still refused to give the contact number and said that the assistant manager would speak. However, the phone office near India Gate. He lived with his wife and two children.

A case has been registered at Keshavpuram and prima facie,the police had ruled out foul play.

Note from Support - Post moved to the relevant thread. Please search before creating new threads.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd February 2015 at 13:34.
SandyX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 11:42   #472
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Black Esteem starting to burn at crossing of Gurgaon-Faridabad road and Sunset Blvd. At first smoke started from the hood and gave enough time to owner to take out his valuables. The fire started to emerge after two minutes after I clicked this picture.

The traffic policeman was clicking pictures of this car. I wonder if the could be saved if the nearby police post had a fire extinguisher. I also saw a lot of cabs present with mini extinguisher, but nobody cared to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img_20150216_0854171.jpg  

Old 4th March 2015, 22:12   #473
BHPian

Just came across this video of KTM Duke catching fire in a petrol bunk.

Have read many owners mentioning that the bike gets really hot. Could that be the reason for the fire, coupled with the location being the petrol bunk?
Old 4th March 2015, 22:53   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post

Have read many owners mentioning that the bike gets really hot. Could that be the reason for the fire, coupled with the location being the petrol bunk?
Here's another one and a different bike:

From what I read elsewhere, both the bike owner and the attendant were concentrating elsewhere, the fuel overflowed from the tank and spilled over the hot engine externals resulting in the fuel catching fire. Seems plausible to me.
Old 5th March 2015, 00:25   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Here's another one and a different bike:

From what I read elsewhere, both the bike owner and the attendant were concentrating elsewhere, the fuel overflowed from the tank and spilled over the hot engine externals resulting in the fuel catching fire. Seems plausible to me.
The reason seems possible. But then, arent modern fuel pumps equipped to switch off in case of overflows?? And how can you even concentrate elsewhere while re-fueling. So stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post

How in the world was this video-graphed?? The other video was captured by CCTV cam and makes sense. But I am stunned by the coincidence of a guy video-graphing a random KTM bike and that bike catching fire.

Here again looks like the fire started from the engine area and probably because a couple of drops of petrol fell on it causing the fire.
Old 5th March 2015, 08:58   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
How in the world was this video-graphed?? The other video was captured by CCTV cam and makes sense. But I am stunned by the coincidence of a guy video-graphing a random KTM bike and that bike catching fire.

Here again looks like the fire started from the engine area and probably because a couple of drops of petrol fell on it causing the fire.
I don't think this was videographed at the scene. To me it looks like it was recorded on a mobile phone while the CCTV footage was playing on the computer. That's why all the panning and zooming. You can see the mouse pointer somewhere in the video. Also the Rushlane logo was added later.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 09:11   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
But then, arent modern fuel pumps equipped to switch off in case of overflows??
Sometimes the auto-cutoff feature won't work. Due to a fault in some part of the nozzle.
Old 5th March 2015, 09:48   #478
Team-BHP Support

This happened yesterday on the East West Corridor, between Purnia and Araria.

A friend from Forbesgunj, Sharkhil Abid shared this pictures on Facebook.

It is a multi-axle Merecdes (newspapers say Volvo) owned by ex-MP and a Hyderabad resident - Sh. Krishna Chandra Marg.

No causalities. Bus only had 4 passengers and all got down safely, driver (as usual) ran away.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-10980736_803740389663815_3087901180699742253_n.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-11043130_803740412997146_2331085565927333266_n.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-11034259_803740362997151_5456486247173658390_n.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-11013081_803740552997132_5920108868928182634_n.jpg  

Old 18th May 2015, 23:24   #479
BHPian

Nano caught fire bang in the middle of an intersection at Gajanan Maharaj Math in Pune today.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20150518wa021.jpg  

Accidents : Vehicles catching Fire in India-img20150518wa020.jpg  

Old 19th May 2015, 00:35   #480
BHPian

Look at the Nano's rear ( the C Pillar?)

Doesn't it look like a Gas inlet? If it is , then this is a locally converted Nano to Gas.

There seems to be the clue right there. Most likely the Gas tanks too are in the boot.

This is so unfortunate ( or planned this way??? ) just when the AMT Nano is launching tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks