Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 15:32   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: The Yamuna Expressway!

Need help on Palwal - Yamuna Expressway route, is there any improvement or it is still the same potholes with a bit of road situation? Need to go to Agra this weekend.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:19   #302
BANNED

I do hear it is improved somewhat. Nothing definitive however. Some colleague of my son had taken it and this is his report. I will love to use it since Faridabad-Gurgaon will knock about 40km off.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:56   #303
BHPian

Quote:
The 165-km-long Yamuna Expressway, built as a symbol of modern development connecting the Noida industrial hub with Agra - the city of Taj, is now being described as the deadliest road in the country by the families of those who fell victim to speeding on the smooth macadam.
An ambitious project of the Bahujan Samaj Party supremo Mayawati, the eight-lane Expressway was formally opened on August 9, 2012, by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.

Since its inauguration, there have been 2,194 accidents recorded on the expressway in around 1,000 days.
Source
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamuna Expressway!-accident_2488016f.jpg  

batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 13:42   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Mostly attributed to speeding and tyre bursts, it says.
I think it's speeding on bad tyres. This is not a polite surface for the tyres. I've seen people pumping in 40+psi in nearly bald tyres at my nearest pump, which is also the last one in Delhi before getting into noida, because they're going on the expressway. 100kmph running for practically 2 hours straight, on overfilled end of life tyres, why?
Old 27th July 2015, 14:21   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Mostly attributed to speeding and tyre bursts, it says.
I think it's speeding on bad tyres. This is not a polite surface for the tyres. I've seen people pumping in 40+psi in nearly bald tyres at my nearest pump, which is also the last one in Delhi before getting into noida, because they're going on the expressway. 100kmph running for practically 2 hours straight, on overfilled end of life tyres, why?
Maybe for the little bit extra fuel efficiency that they get on the over-inflated tires, safety be damned!

Running for two hours also leads to further pressure build up, no wonder tire bursts are common.
Old 27th July 2015, 17:45   #306
BANNED

The concrete tarmac also tends to add a bit more heat into the wheels. With Radials the recommendation is 2-4psi additional max.
Old 4th January 2017, 18:26   #307
BHPian

It is a beautiful road, very well designed and made. I have driven on it a few times, and was always in awe of the road discipline displayed by motorists. With people moving out of way on the overtaking lane, and sticking to their lanes, using indicators, etc, it used to appear at stretches that we might as well as driving in England, where road discipline and common sense is the norm rather than the exception like it is in India. But recently even this myth has been shattered. I took a one day trip to Agra from Noida on Jan 1, 2016 and was dismayed to find all sense of road discipline vanish.

1. People no longer moved out of way on the overtaking lane.
2. Lane discipline has more or less vanished with all kinds of vehicles moving in all lanes at all kinds of speeds.

The biggest reason on this expressway for accidents is lack of road discipline, and generally lack of driving sense. Why blame the road for accidents when people themselves don't know how to drive. Yes, in winters fogs set in, and the road is not equipped with the correct lighting and night markers- so after a harrowing experience in peak winters with dense fog a couple of years back at night, I now refrain from using the expressway after 7 pm in winters.
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 13:51   #308
BHPian

Guys - need an update on the Palwal entry for the Yamuna expressway from Gurgaon. Earlier the road was horrible and it was better to goto NOIDA for getting on the expressway. Has the situation improved?

thanks.
Old 9th January 2017, 21:29   #309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Need help on Palwal - Yamuna Expressway route, is there any improvement or it is still the same potholes with a bit of road situation? Need to go to Agra this weekend.
My son came recently. he is in Sector 54 of Gurugram. He took the Gurugram - faridabad route, and joined the DND very close to the YE turnoff. He managed GGN-CNB in seven hours. Ditto on the way back. he cam in his City MT and went back on our Civic AT.

I suggest you look at that option. He hit the YE in under an hour and a half from his home.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 22:23   #310
BHPian

I guess the route from gurgaon to YE via the Gur-FBD highway and then turning onto old agra road, finally getting onto palwal - tappal road to get onto YE is a bad choice since most of it is non existent road. After having tried it 4 - 5 times, i now take the outer ring road, and get onto YE near maa...something circle....even the jasola metro route is okay. At least my vehicle doesnt take a beating.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 10:10   #311
BANNED

@SX4LOVER; My son took GGN-FBD and then turned onto a road leading to the DND joining it very near the YE. This avoided the mess that SH222A is even today. In April we came in via Palwal and then took the SH222A. It still has many really bad patches. However, it is far better than what it was in 2013.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 17:39   #312
Senior - BHPian

Is this news to be believed?

Quote:
The transport department of Gautam Budh Nagar will recommend the suspension of licences of 21,527 drivers who were found exceeding the prescribed speed limit on the Yamuna Expressway thrice or more between April 1 and July 4.

This comes after it was found that over 1 lakh speeding offences have been recorded on the Yamuna Expressway over the last two months — 1,33,590 in June and 1,72,000 in May — an average of more than 5,000 offences per day.
Is the DL process centralized in UP? Even if they cancel a license how does the traffic cop know, I mean is it chip based or would the cop have a handy wireless gadget to check whether the license is valid or not?

Source
Old 13th July 2017, 19:10   #313
BANNED

@fine69; I had my license renewed In Kanpur.Once sorted out it was pretty automated and smooth. So I guess some automation has seen the light.
Old 17th July 2017, 10:07   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If those numbers are to be believed, then I am assuming that >90% of the YE users are over speeding?
Last I heard some folks also got stopped and challan'ed by cops at the toll plazas.

Recently while travelling to Udaipur via NH48, noticed some speed guns near Jaipur as well.

We really need to put some sense into the driving ethics of our countrymen, otherwise it's like a "Death race" out there.
Old 17th July 2017, 10:18   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Is the DL process centralized in UP? Even if they cancel a license how does the traffic cop know, I mean is it chip based or would the cop have a handy wireless gadget to check whether the license is valid or not?

Source
I did hear about them sending challans for speeding, but cancelling the DL is new. How do they plan to track the driver? They might have record of the vehicle number but the driver? Even with the owner, it is quite possible that his vehicle was registered in DL but he has a license from HR or PB. Quite a herculean task given they plan to do it for past offences.

For this exercise they maybe considering owner=driver. Even then they would have to co-ordinate with the different states where these vehicles belong.

Maybe they are trying to fill up the coffers with these challans and making up for gst losses. Who knows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks