Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:41   #241
BANNED

re: The Yamuna Expressway!

Did the full length on the Expressway for the first time. This was the first time after 1991 that I got on a true motorway. Brilliant:

1. I ended up doing Kanpur - Delhi all expressway of some sort or the other.NH25/N2 to Tundla, YH to NOIDA, DND Flyway to Delhi. Did ~450km in 7:15 (door to door) including a refreshment stop.

2. Finally realised that Cruise Control makes sense even in India. We set it at 100kph (as per GPS in City AVN, with it flashing the speed warning occasionally) and never got warned at any point. Not too many chaps going at crazy speeds, though most were a shade slower (accounted by the difference between the GPS and speedo indications).

3. The road is good but the concrete should have been smoother.

4. The service areas are good, toilets clean, and the cafeterias also good. Much better than the mess on the Mumbai-Pune road.

5. Driving was also Ok, infraction noted, a. People driving on the hard shoulder, b. opening door to spit our tobacco, and c. hogging the middle lane with an empty left lane (I have seen this in the UK as well). I may be too much to expect proper use of the trafficators.

I wish we had more of these. For once we must thank the Gaurs and Mayawati!

Last edited by Samurai : 26th July 2013 at 11:00. Reason: typo fixed
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 16:24   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Did the full length on the Expressway for the first time.
What are the toll charges for same-day return?
(That is both ways within 24 hours).

I plan to fly into Delhi in December and stay someplace near greater-noida.
(searching for medium-range hotels, any recommendations welcome).

Then take an early morning taxi to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal (with wife and childen) and return before night.

I was quoted 12,000+taxes(12.36%) including Toll by 'Radisson Blu Greater Noida'.
(This is an expensive hotel but very close to Yamuna Expressway, so tempting!)

Last edited by manim : 14th September 2013 at 16:26.
Old 16th September 2013, 09:01   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
What are the toll charges for same-day return?
(That is both ways within 24 hours).
Did not check, one way is Rs.320. I think I remember reading somewhere that same day return is about 550!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 11:04   #244
BANNED

Bad Driving Practice on the Media

I just saw a lady driving on the Yamuna E'way on Top Speed in ET Now. The LH lane was empty and she was 'hogging' the middle lane. Unless our media learn to be responsible how do we educate the aam admi. When the LH lane is empty then she had no business being in the middle lane.
Old 6th October 2013, 11:29   #245
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Driving Practice on the Media

Quote:
I just saw a lady driving on the Yamuna E'way on Top Speed in ET Now. The LH lane was empty and she was 'hogging' the middle lane. Unless our media learn to be responsible how do we educate the aam admi. When the LH lane is empty then she had no business being in the middle lane.
I may be wrong,but isn't it the way it is supposed to be?
Left for slow traffic like trucks buses and all,middle for cruising and right lane for overtaking?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 12:49   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that's what the barrage of signposts on the eway tell one to do. Till yesterday, that's what one is supposed to do, ie, drive in the second lane, and leave the first one for overtaking.
Old 7th October 2013, 08:54   #247
BANNED

Re: Bad Driving Practice on the Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I may be wrong,but isn't it the way it is supposed to be?
Left for slow traffic like trucks buses and all,middle for cruising and right lane for overtaking?
You are wrong, not when the LH lane is totally empty.

@mayankk; As above. Motorway / Autoroute / Autobahn / Autostrada driving discipline is universal

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th October 2013 at 08:56.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:40   #248
BHPian

Quote:
You are wrong, not when the LH lane is totally empty.

@mayankk; As above. Motorway / Autoroute / Autobahn / Autostrada driving discipline is universal
No offence but Global discipline might not work in India, at least for the next few decades. On YE one can encounter Trucks, Tractors, SUVs, Bikes, etc coming from the wrong side on the left lane. Thus, it's better to stick to the middle lane and use the right one for passing. I am not endorsing wrong practices but if the choice is between safety and global rules, I would go with safety.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:52   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
No offence but Global discipline might not work in India, at least for the next few decades. On YE one can encounter Trucks, Tractors, SUVs, Bikes, etc coming from the wrong side on the left lane. Thus, it's better to stick to the middle lane and use the right one for passing. I am not endorsing wrong practices but if the choice is between safety and global rules, I would go with safety.
In my drive up the E'way I saw these jokers (esp a few tractors) on the rh lane. This will be lh to their direction of travel. No issue the right one is the overtaking lane and not the fast lane as some fools call it.

Also, if we do not develop correct habits then we will never learn. For example, trucks on the rh lane on normal GQ and other roads.

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th October 2013 at 11:53.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:02   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Well, that's what the barrage of signposts on the eway tell one to do. Till yesterday, that's what one is supposed to do, ie, drive in the second lane, and leave the first one for overtaking.
Yeah,that is what i have been following,left lane for slow vehicles,middle for cruising and right for overtaking.
Recently chandigarh police has been following this protocol on some roads,so if a car is found hogging the left lane or right lane for long;you get a ticket.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 15:52   #251
BANNED

Did up (to Aligarh turn off) and down (full) the YE last week. Not too many chaps speeding crazily, met only a few schoolkids on cycles riding contrary (the fencing has been breached at a few places). On the way out there way very little traffic so I managed the LH lane a lot. On the way back there was more traffic and there were too many chaps in the middle lane with the LH lane blank that I too was forced to stay there a lot. Good to see the YE being used, but then 14th was Dussehra in some places so schools were closed.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:09   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Did not check, one way is Rs.320. I think I remember reading somewhere that same day return is about 550!
It's 510 for a return ticket.
Old 20th November 2013, 16:14   #253
BHPian

I recently (last weekend) did this.
There are three different fares for if you are off at Mathura, Agra or Kanpur.
I went to Agra - its Rs.320 oneway (Rs.510 for return).
Not quite sure of Mathura and Kanpur. I guess if you are off Mathura its around Rs.2xx.
Old 29th December 2013, 18:22   #254
BHPian

Did a taxi drive on 23rd December (to-and-fro).
Foggy day, spotted many dogs (on the agra side).
Saw one dog hit by a SUV before me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamuna Expressway!-dsc_6031.jpg  

The Yamuna Expressway!-dsc_6018.jpg  

manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 14:40   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I recently (last weekend) did this.
There are three different fares for if you are off at Mathura, Agra or Kanpur.
I went to Agra - its Rs.320 oneway (Rs.510 for return).
Not quite sure of Mathura and Kanpur. I guess if you are off Mathura its around Rs.2xx.
The two intermediate points of access are Mathura/Vrindaban, and Aligarh. Starting from Agra (Kanpur side) the charges for the full length to (Greater NOIDA) are Rs.320, and Aligarh Rs.220. I have used them both. I do not know what Mathura is but should be about Rs.110-120.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks