Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 20:57   #211
BHPian

re: The Yamuna Expressway!

I felt the Yamuna Express way ride as quite boring.

There are no sceneries en route, only you get to see is long stretch of concrete road ahead. For the first few kilometers, it was exciting, and we never knew when the speedometer crosses 100 and beyond.

If I compare it with the other express ways,I think, Vadodara- Ahmabad is a better one, with a lively feeling and having lots of trees and flowers on the sides.

Mumbai- Pune one is having lots of traffic, and also with lots of ghat section roads. You have to be very careful in this expressway. It is the only one with tunnels and if you travel it on monsoon time, you will get a good experience with lots of greeneries, misty roads, and chilly conditions near Lonavala.

Yamuna way is also a lonely one, may be due to the massive toll amount.

About the concrete roads, I think, it is quite nosier than asphaltic roads, and the general notion of it is more prone to tyre bursts will linger in the mind always.

regards,
bbhavan
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 09:08   #212
BANNED

Motorway driving is the most monotonous think the world over. Totally featureless, and pretty boring as well. Only you chew up the miles or kms fast and effortlessly. One thing to watch out on longer stretches is not to doze off. This happens when you have a really long run of say four hours or more.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:31   #213
BHPian

I do agree that the Yamuna expressway was boring. Avid team bhp fan Aditya Johar was driving and I was the passenger, I almost dozed off.

Also, @samarthbhatia barely managed to save a monkey. We were behind his beat. The monkey ran across the road and as Samarth tried to save him by changing lanes to the left the monkey kept running towards the car. Aditya and me were in the only car behind and we braked to save the poor thing. We were driving at about 80-90 km/h god only knows what would have happened if we were speeding. Please keep a look out for animals.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 26th November 2012 at 10:32.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 11:11   #214
BHPian

I have also experienced lots of issues with the animals crossing the road.

Recently I was driving from chittourgarh to Delhi, during the diwali holidays.

I noticed a flock of cows crossing the road. I reduced my speed so that I can move past them after the last one also crossed, and after seeing them crossed the road, I gathered my speed. But to my utter dismay, a cow appeared from no where and I had to jam the brakes heavily to avoid the collision.

Since that incident , I have been very cautious on North Indian roads, as it is quite customary for the village people to cross the roads, with sheeps, buffalos and cows.
Old 15th December 2012, 22:11   #215
BHPian

Going through this thread, I just decided to shuck my train tickets and drive down to Agra on the 19th of this month! Should be fun in the Manza QJD, lets see whether those extra 15 Horses over the Dzire are worth their salt.
Old 15th December 2012, 22:59   #216
BHPian

All the beast windiesel. Am sure you will have fun. Drive safely.
satrab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 19:42   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

I took a drive to show the track to my brother today.
And I almost totalled the car. Theyve blocked the exits near the track with piled concrete blocks.
No signs, no lights, just grey blocks sitting on grey road blending into each other.
It was twilighty, and that was just unexpected. Braked hard, and swerved back onto the verge on the main Eway.
Patted the car, and the new tyres.

At the toll near jewar, they told me they will be putting up warnings/paint etc soon.
When?
Presumably its been blocked since after the polo cup?
Geez!

But I have to agree. Its one of the more monotonous roads to drive on.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:31   #218
BHPian

Is there any other expressway going to built now?

I understand that there are 4 such express ways now.

What should be the next expressway ? Delhi-Amritsar or chennai-Hyderabad?
Old 21st December 2012, 09:20   #219
BANNED

Yes, Agra - Etawah - Lucknow is being fast tracked.
Old 21st December 2012, 21:44   #220
BHPian

Oh, that will be quite interesting.

From Delhi, one can go to Lucknow via these two express ways.

Infrastructure ,especially roads are being developed in a rapid speed now a days,

Also there is need to develop faster rail line also!,
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:03   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Infrastructure ,especially roads are being developed in a rapid speed now a days,

Also there is need to develop faster rail line also!,
Yes, infra can develop fast but after the General the NHAI has been in the doldrums. Done only one think DMK (Delhi Money for K...i).

A higher speed on the rail lines has two issues:

1. As you go faster than 160kph or so fenced in tracks are a must.

2. The politicians demanding trains stop at their village. If we have stoppages in every place trains cannot run at any decent average speed. Take Lucknow - Delhi (via Kanpur, since that was the only way to get onto an electrified track, now Lko-CNB is electrified. When the Gomti started it had only one stop CNB,nw has about a dozen. Ditto for Shatabdi which now has Etawah, Aligarh, (and Ghaziabad) added. I remember when ShramshktiExpress as started the local MP from Govindnagar (actually part of Kanpur) asking for a halt. Nitish said that there are some 20 constituencies between CNB and NDLS so this should not be asked for. At the moment the only non-stop trains between NDLS and CNB are the Rajdhanis, Shram Shakti and what we call the Reverse Shatabdi (CNB-NDLS). This is over 440km only. Many so called SuperFast Trains do not average even 40 kph!

So rationalise the stops and you will go faster - zero economic cost, but who will bell the cat.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:20   #222
BHPian

[quote=sgiitk;2997118]

A higher speed on the rail lines has two issues:

1. As you go faster than 160kph or so fenced in tracks are a must.

2. The politicians demanding trains stop at their village.

Yes, I do agree on the above points.

When you consider the advantages of the high speed train in the socio-economic development of the regions, it is worth taking the initial extra cost for the same.

About the second point, it is the same case everywhere in India. And it is not just in this segment, politicians are rooting the system and looting Indian public for their paltry selfish motives.

Govt. should also consider the other way of transporting system such as inland water transportation system as well as shipping.

As we know, it is the most energy efficient and cheapest mode of public transport system.
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:38   #223
BANNED

Inland shipping is the best way for large cargo - see the Rhine. How many of our rivers are suitable for river transport?

I think a high speed rail network is desirable. Long term it will help, but then politicos have to be kept out of the decision making details. China was economically similar to us in the early 1980's and where are they now.

Incidentally, I was involved in the Technology Mission for Railway Safety,and the fate of the work is locked up in Rail Bhavan. After all we or rather the Indian Industry making the stuff cannot offer (the rumoured) 35%. Also 35% of 20lacs is much less than of $150,000!
Old 22nd December 2012, 13:48   #224
BHPian

[quote="sgiitk;2997212"]Inland shipping is the best way for large cargo - see the Rhine. How many of our rivers are suitable for river

Dear sgiitk sir,

In old days these inland waterways were effectively used,as we all know.
But as we got freedom,these were discarded in pursuit of faster growth.
Infact there are still good options

Name:  ForumRunner_20121222_134802.png
Views: 839
Size:  599.5 KB

available with many major indian rivers and lakes.
Old 22nd December 2012, 15:49   #225
BANNED

@bbhava; Many may need extensive desilting before they can be used again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks