Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 09:30   #1081
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Goa from Hyderabad, and it would be my first trip to Goa, so, pardon my ignorance, if any.
I have a Hyderabad-Goa trip scheduled from 9th-14th Jan 2021, the route I am taking is the same route which I took during my last trip to Goa in Jan2020, the route is as follows -
Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jevargi-Vijaypura-Bagalkot-Belgavi-Chorla ghat-Ashvem Goa

The above mentioned Route is doable in 14-15hrs with breaks, last time when I drove on this route it was smooth but with many speed breakers, hope the tarmac remains more or less the same.

Will keep you posted about the road conditions.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2021 at 16:39. Reason: trimmed quoted post
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:20   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Goa from Hyderabad, and it would be my first trip to Goa, so, pardon my ignorance, if any.
I just came back from Goa (second trip to Goa in one month). Both times i did above mentioned route. Though its 70/80 kms long but its the best bet. And since you are going to south goa it makes more sense to take it.

Except till Humnabad, entire route is single highway. As you said you want a relax drive and you are sedate driver then i would suggest to break this trip. Just make sure you have enough food packed, nothing decent in the entire stretch.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2021 at 16:39. Reason: trimmed quoted post
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:06   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I just came back from Goa (second trip to Goa in one month). Both times i did above mentioned route. Though its 70/80 kms long but its the best bet. And since you are going to south goa it makes more sense to take it.

Except till Humnabad, entire route is single highway. As you said you want a relax drive and you are sedate driver then i would suggest to break this trip. Just make sure you have enough food packed, nothing decent in the entire stretch.
How was the road conditions from Balgalkote to Hubli. Can you update
Old 6th January 2021, 15:33   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
How was the road conditions from Balgalkote to Hubli. Can you update
Since I had to go to North Goa hence I didn't go to Hubli.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:23   #1085
BHPian

I will be driving down to Goa with family (including 2 kids). Our hotel is in South Goa (Utorda) and we plan to have an overnight halt in Belgaum.

The route till Belgaum seems largely clear based on recent posts on this thread. For Belgaum to Goa, would love to get inputs on Chorla Ghats vs Anmod route.

It seems Chorla ghat is in bad shape and Anmod was resurfaced recently, though has its own rough patches - so seems Anmod may be preferable. The marginal differences in distance/ time taken are less important to me - what matters is road surface and tension-free driving.

Any inputs would be great.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:36   #1086
BHPian

I had done Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Anmod - Mollem - South Goa in late Oct-2020 and the roads were good except for the first few kilometers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
I will be driving down to Goa with family (including 2 kids). Our hotel is in South Goa (Utorda) and we plan to have an overnight halt in Belgaum.

The route till Belgaum seems largely clear based on recent posts on this thread. For Belgaum to Goa, would love to get inputs on Chorla Ghats vs Anmod route.

It seems Chorla ghat is in bad shape and Anmod was resurfaced recently, though has its own rough patches - so seems Anmod may be preferable. The marginal differences in distance/ time taken are less important to me - what matters is road surface and tension-free driving.

Any inputs would be great.
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 09:51   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
I had done Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Anmod - Mollem - South Goa in late Oct-2020 and the roads were good except for the first few kilometers.
Last Year on 19th-Jan-2020 on my return leg I chose chrola ghat, as on the onward journey we lost our way thanks to google(and my carelessness for following google without attention, in general I do my research to plan route with help of available resources here on team-Bhp forum but at that time being accompanied by one more family I was a bit careless) and reached Goa via Amboli (the tarmac was full of potholes and we sensed the route is less taken for Goa by people as traffic was sparse). Back then on our return journey Chorla Ghat roads were decent, as shared we covered the distance of 732km from Goa to Hyderabad in 13hr40min, with two long breaks for breakfast and lunch and two tea breaks.

As per google your suggested route is 16hr33min for covering 759km, and via Chorla Ghat it is 15hr50min for 720km.

Request your feedback on which route to take from Belgavi to Goa (is Chorla Ghat road is really that bad or manageable).
Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-img4513.jpg  

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-img4514.jpg  

Old 7th January 2021, 10:08   #1088
BHPian

Google suggested Belgaum - Khanapur - Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary - Anmod - Mollem - South Goa and I covered Belgaum-South Goa in about 4 hours with relaxed driving. I did not explore the Chorla route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Last Year on 19th-Jan-2020 on my return leg I chose chrola ghat, as on the onward journey we lost our way thanks to google(and my carelessness for following google without attention, in general I do my research to plan route with help of available resources here on team-Bhp forum but at that time being accompanied by one more family I was a bit careless) and reached Goa via Amboli (the tarmac was full of potholes and we sensed the route is less taken for Goa by people as traffic was sparse). Back then on our return journey Chorla Ghat roads were decent, as shared we covered the distance of 732km from Goa to Hyderabad in 13hr40min, with two long breaks for breakfast and lunch and two tea breaks.

As per google your suggested route is 16hr33min for covering 759km, and via Chorla Ghat it is 15hr50min for 720km.

Request your feedback on which route to take from Belgavi to Goa (is Chorla Ghat road is really that bad or manageable).
Thank you in advance.
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 00:16   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Looking forward to all of your suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
Completed Hyderabad-Goa return trip today on 14thJan21.

From Hyderabad to Goa the Belgaum-Goa leg was a total mess-up for us, as we managed to miss few critical turns and reached Goa in 6 hrs via Londa driving on under construction NH748.

On our return journey took the chorla ghat route for Goa to Belgaum, and it turned out to be a good decision, the ghat section at patches is damaged, mainly at curves, few are really bad patches but just for few meters. In my view the chorla ghat route is manageable, moreover repair work is under progress.

Return route -> Ashvem Beach Goa-Chorla Ghat-Belgaum-Bagalkot-Vijaypura-Jevargi-Gulbarga-Humnabad-Zaheerabad-Hyderabad

Started at 5:30AM from Goa and reached Suchitra(Hyderabad) at 9:30PM
Total distance covered 745(approx), drive time-13hrs45mins, Total time taken 16hrs

I would suggest above route for onward and return journey.
any23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 06:10   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Completed Hyderabad-Goa return trip today on 14thJan21.

On our return journey, took the chorla ghat route for Goa to Belgaum, and it turned out to be a good decision, the ghat section at patches is damaged, mainly at curves, few are really bad patches but just for few meters. In my view the chorla ghat route is manageable, moreover repair work is under progress.

Return route -> Ashvem Beach Goa-Chorla Ghat-Belgaum-Bagalkot-Vijaypura-Jevargi-Gulbarga-Humnabad-Zaheerabad-Hyderabad

Started at 5:30AM from Goa and reached Suchitra (Hyderabad) at 9:30PM
Total distance covered 745(approx), drive time-13hrs 45mins, Total time taken 16hrs

I would suggest above route for onward and return journey.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This is very helpful! Thanks a lot!
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:11   #1091
BHPian

Just got back from Goa. Stopped at Belgaum for overnight stay both ways which made the drive convenient.

Route from Hyd to Belgaum is very good all along (9 to 9.5 hours of driving time to get to Belgaum outskirts)
1. Hyd - Humnabad : 4 lane, excellent surface

2. Humnabad-Gulbarga Ring road - Jevargi - Sindgi - Bijapur - Bagalkot : 2 lane, excellent surface, speed breaker bumps at every sign of civilization

3. Bagalkot-Lokapur-Yergatti-Belgaum : 2 lane, nice road, road surface 95% very good like the prior sections, about 5% has rough surface, hardly any potholes, lots of speed breakers

From Belgaum to Goa (3.5 to 4 hours of driving time)

Took Khanapur - Hemmadaga - Mollem - Anmod route to get to South Goa (onward)
- Belgaum to Khanapur : Road work going on, so lots of diversions, but otherwise good
- Khanapur to Anmod : About 30-40% is decent road conditions, Rest are bad sections with lots of potholes, steep shoulders on the road, especially those passing through the forest area - best navigated at 20-25 kmph or slower. The forest section is closed for entry between 6 pm and 6 am
- Anmod to Goa : absolutely wonderful road, excellent road surface

From North Goa to Belgaum (return route)
- Took the Tillari route ; Most of the route from Goa outskirts till the Tilari Ghats is very poor road surface with tons of potholes etc. Not enjoyable at all
- Tilari Ghats are totally bliss with great road surface and great views. However, from Goa side this is uphill and pretty steep. First time ghat drivers need to be very careful and navigate the steep uphill u-turns in the right gears. I had to drop to 1st gear a few times to climb up with a fully loaded car
- From Tilari to Belgaum : Mostly fine with some nice views

If you prefer decent road surfaces (to the extent you can) I'd recommend the Khanapur - Anmod route irrespective of South or North Goa. Didnt do Chorla - others can comment on their drive

Things to note:
Google maps are best NOT leveraged to decide which route you want to take. There are multiple options on this route - and Gmaps often provides some wierd routing options
Belgaum to Goa best done in daytime
Carry all your car papers - Expect to get checked around Goa/ borders
Strict liquor checking (as you'd expect) at all exit points from Goa
Facilities en-route are minimal ; Carry your own food and use petrol bunks/ fields to relieve yourself

Last edited by RoadTiger : 23rd January 2021 at 09:16.
RoadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 09:26   #1092
BHPian

I have done both Chorla route (onwards) and Amboli (return), chorla downhill (belgaum - Goa) is still completely in shambles, repair work is going on, but dont think it will be ready anytime soon. Amboli return route Jan 26th (Goa - Belgaum) is much better although there are no bad stretches, but we do get few diversions for about 20kms as national hwy work is in progress, but still its doable. We took Panaji - Mapusa - Right towards Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum (Google map's dark yellow lines ��). Only 1km stretch downhill near Amboli is bit rough with small potholes, rest all is breeze. We get super view point on Amboli ghat, and also dont forget to taste the famous Vada Pav while getting on to Amboli ghat, yummy. I did not do Goa to Belgaum via Anmod, but while going to Dhudhsagar, experienced lot of traffic and hwy work was in progress on this route.

Last edited by idpsharma : 17th February 2021 at 09:30.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 19:59   #1093
BHPian

I did the following route last week and the road is fantastic overall.
Hyderabad Nehru Outer Ring Road - Moinabad - Sedam - Gulbarga Ring Road - Bijapur Ring Road - Bagalkot T junction - Lokapur - Yargatti - Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Bicholim - Mapusa.
There as no issues in Chorla Ghat as the fresh surfacing has been done on most of the part.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 20:14   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
I have done both Chorla route (onwards) and Amboli (return), chorla downhill (belgaum - Goa) is still completely in shambles, repair work is going on, but dont think it will be ready anytime soon. Amboli return route Jan 26th (Goa - Belgaum) is much better although there are no bad stretches, but we do get few diversions for about 20kms as national hwy work is in progress, but still its doable. We took Panaji - Mapusa - Right towards Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum (Google map's dark yellow lines ��). Only 1km stretch downhill near Amboli is bit rough with small potholes, rest all is breeze. We get super view point on Amboli ghat, and also dont forget to taste the famous Vada Pav while getting on to Amboli ghat, yummy. I did not do Goa to Belgaum via Anmod, but while going to Dhudhsagar, experienced lot of traffic and hwy work was in progress on this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
I did the following route last week and the road is fantastic overall.
Hyderabad Nehru Outer Ring Road - Moinabad - Sedam - Gulbarga Ring Road - Bijapur Ring Road - Bagalkot T junction - Lokapur - Yargatti - Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Bicholim - Mapusa.
There as no issues in Chorla Ghat as the fresh surfacing has been done on most of the part.
Going by your update, it looks like a lot of repair work on the Chorla ghat has been completed from the time idpsharma travelled in Jan 2021.

When did you travel, and can you please post more details of the Chorla route?
Old 25th February 2021, 11:05   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
When did you travel, and can you please post more details of the Chorla route?
I had travelled on 19th Feb towards Goa, at that point of time around 4 kms of patch was bad, but was drivable even for a low GC car if driven carefully. I had return travel on 22 Feb towards Belgaum. At that point of time almost 80% of that bad patch was repaired. Both the times I saw road repair work was being done. While returning we were stopped for approx 20 mins as the road repair work was being done.

Crossing Belgaum also takes time as road /flyover is being constructed. Don't trust G-maps navigation blindly, keep asking locals for the directions else you will be struck in the endless "rerouting" loop.
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks