Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2018, 12:17   #1006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Thanks for the info. The typo 'bugs' brought on a smile. When we drove to Goa last year we stopped overnight at Bijapur, to and fro, and stayed at Hotel Pearl.

On the return leg, at around 3.00 AM, my wife found the bed infested with bed bugs. We didn't waste more time but beat a hasty retreat and started for Hyderabad in the middle of the night.

We have now decided that on the outward leg we will stop overnight in Belgaum and on the return leg spend the night in Gulbarga. Need to check out hotels in Gulbarga.

Oops sorry for the typo, I replied in hurry. It makes sense to stop at Belguam while going towards Goa as you will have 3.5-4 hrs of Journey(with ~50% Ghat) left and you will reach Goa by hotel checkin time.
Old 15th August 2018, 21:03   #1007
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Oops sorry for the typo, I replied in hurry. It makes sense to stop at Belguam while going towards Goa as you will have 3.5-4 hrs of Journey(with ~50% Ghat) left and you will reach Goa by hotel checkin time.
Yes, it certainly makes sense to do an overnight stop at Belgaum on the drive to Goa. In fact, one of the members on this forum had advised me to do so.

But as I was driving long distance for the first time after being diagnosed with a back problem, I thought it best to stop over around half way, at Bijapur. The silver lining was an opportunity to visit the Gol Gumbaz, which in itself is worth a visit to Bijapur.

As I mentioned, the next time we drive to Goa, I am planning an overnight halt at Gulbarga or some other town on the return leg. This will obviate the need to leave at some unearthly hour of the day. What about our return to Hyderabad? One straight run or a stop over?
Old 16th August 2018, 09:29   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it certainly makes sense to do an overnight stop at Belgaum on the drive to Goa. In fact, one of the members on this forum had advised me to do

As I mentioned, the next time we drive to Goa, I am planning an overnight halt at Gulbarga or some other town on the return leg. This will obviate the need to leave at some unearthly hour?
If You really need rest and cannot drive long distances than yes its make sense to take a night halt. But otherwise, Hyderabad Goa can be done in 14 hours at a normal pace.
I drove Hyd- Goa on 11th Aug and return on 15th Aug. Return drive was faster through the gulbarga-Humnabad-Zaheerabad route. Started at 540 am from South Goa and was home at 1910 hours at Narsingi. 705 Kms point to point with lunch refuelling, lunch, tea and washroom breaks in between. So a comfortable 13.50 hours drive
Fordmanchau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 09:35   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
If You really need rest and cannot drive long distances than yes its make sense to take a night halt. But otherwise, Hyderabad Goa can be done in 14 hours at a normal pace.
I drove Hyd- Goa on 11th Aug and return on 15th Aug. Return drive was faster through the gulbarga-Humnabad-Zaheerabad route. Started at 540 am from South Goa and was home at 1910 hours at Narsingi. 705 Kms point to point with lunch refuelling, lunch, tea and washroom breaks in between. So a comfortable 13.50 hours drive
I am travelling to Goa next week. Initially i thought of doing Hyderabad to Goa in one stretch. But then decided on taking a break in Belgavi due to uncertainty of road conditions, weather etc specifically in the Chorla Ghat stretch. However i plan to do the Goa to Hyderabad stretch at one go. Any suggestions on things to cover in Goa especially during monsoon as beaches would be ruled out.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:49   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it certainly makes sense to do an overnight stop at Belgaum on the drive to Goa. In fact, one of the members on this forum had advised me to do so.

But as I was driving long distance for the first time after being diagnosed with a back problem, I thought it best to stop over around half way, at Bijapur. The silver lining was an opportunity to visit the Gol Gumbaz, which in itself is worth a visit to Bijapur.

As I mentioned, the next time we drive to Goa, I am planning an overnight halt at Gulbarga or some other town on the return leg. This will obviate the need to leave at some unearthly hour of the day. What about our return to Hyderabad? One straight run or a stop over?
I did without stop while returning. I had good night sleep and woke up late. Had good breakfast, had some fun in beach n pool. There was a foot massager in room and relaxed for 20 mins. Got ready and started from the resort at 1.30 pm. Our plan is to use kid sleeping hours(2hrs in the afternoon n night) for the drive. We had pretty relaxed drive mostly at 80-100 km/h with occasional sprints on NH65 .

Once we started kid fell asleep(I have a air bed installed in the back seat) and we could cover ghats and winding roads of goa. It took us almost 4 hrs to reach Belgavi from south goa via molem, khanapur,bhimghad wildlife sanctuary. This part of drive was very scenic was limited visibility because of rain n clouds n fog on the hills made a bit thrilling too. Had lunch at belgavi and wifey took over the wheel till Bagalkot . Had quick break Bagalkot with double coffee and bought some gum n mints, it was around 10.30 pm and kid slept again. As experienced while onward journey the roads to viajaypura were under repair so tailed a local innova taxi till Vijaypura who was going at comfy speed. From there on drive is pretty smooth. Only sore thing are the speed breakers. We reached home by 5.30 am.

Total trip:1525.2 km
MID:18.8 kms/ltr
AutoCutOff Tankfull calc: 18.37

PS: Better to not follow gmaps blindly. It often redirects some shortcuts which are better avoided based on my exp. Stick to highways NH748, NH52 and NH50.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-goa1.jpg

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-car.jpg

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-goa2.jpg
arun_kun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 12:58   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
If You really need rest and cannot drive long distances than yes its make sense to take a night halt. But otherwise, Hyderabad Goa can be done in 14 hours at a normal pace.....
I agree that Hyderabad Goa can easily be done in 14 hours, even with a single driver. But I prefer an overnight halt because I don't enjoy driving in the dark.

Quote:
....PS: Better to not follow gmaps blindly. It often redirects some shortcuts which are better avoided based on my exp. Stick to highways NH748, NH52 and NH50.
Yes indeed. Last time on the return leg Google Maps took us through a very scenic route out of Goa, which was different from the one we took getting in. I believe we lost time as a result.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:12   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian

I am driving to Goa on 26th and plan to start by 4-5 am. Single driver, in a WagonR, and will reach Varca the same day. Which route should I be taking? Any other pointers which will help during the trip?

thanks,
Ashis
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:13   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun, hope you reached and had a good trip. Can You please update on the thread here. Somehow my Inbox is not opening in the app.

Would appreciate it.
Quote:
Hi,
Hyd to Humnabad road is excellent. At Humnabad you turn left to NH50 towards Kalburgi and Javergi and then on to Bijapur. Roads till Bijapur are good except few patches.
Hi Arun, Fordmanchau,

I hope you had a wonderful Goa trip. I will be driving with my wife on 26th, starting from Hyderabad around 4-5 am. I will be covering the whole distance in one go and am supposed to stay in Varca. Any pointers, preferred break locations, refueling stops, etc will be helpful.

While returning I might drive to Bangalore for a day and then return from there. Again any insights will be helpful.

Thanks,
Ashis
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:42   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi Arun, Fordmanchau,

I hope you had a wonderful Goa trip. I will be driving with my wife on 26th, starting from Hyderabad around 4-5 am. I will be covering the whole distance in one go and am supposed to stay in Varca. Any pointers, preferred break locations, refueling stops, etc will be helpful.

While returning I might drive to Bangalore for a day and then return from there. Again any insights will be helpful.

Thanks,

Ashis

Hi Ashis,

I had good relaxed trip as my agenda was not cover places but to relax. So though we caught few showers here and there we had a good trip. And Goa during monsoons is damn gorgeous.

Coming to the route, as explained previously Hyd —>Humnabad—> Kalburgi—> Javergi—>Vijaypura—> Bagalkot —> Belgavi—> Goa. Stick to NH as much as u can. Strictly stick to NH till Bagalkot at least.

Ideally I would recommend to pack your lunch at least as there are not many options just on the route. I would recommend to plan breakfast @ Zaherabad(Hotel Sidhi or Anand Bhavan)/Humnabad . Belgavi is right place for dinner as you can take break before 3.5 -4 hrs of ghats n narrow roads. I do not rem where I ate I just picked decently looking one on route. After belgavi you won't find any places till Goa.

Let me know if you need any more info.
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 15:23   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashis,

I had good relaxed trip as my agenda was not cover places but to relax. So though we caught few showers here and there we had a good trip. And Goa during monsoons is damn gorgeous.

Coming to the route, as explained previously Hyd —>Humnabad—> Kalburgi—> Javergi—>Vijaypura—> Bagalkot —> Belgavi—> Goa. Stick to NH as much as u can. Strictly stick to NH till Bagalkot at least.

Ideally I would recommend to pack your lunch at least as there are not many options just on the route. I would recommend to plan breakfast @ Zaherabad(Hotel Sidhi or Anand Bhavan)/Humnabad . Belgavi is right place for dinner as you can take break before 3.5 -4 hrs of ghats n narrow roads. I do not rem where I ate I just picked decently looking one on route. After belgavi you won't find any places till Goa.

Thanks for the update Arun. I had this trip in my mind since a long time, drive to Goa during monsoons.

I will stick to the route (and the NH) as mentioned by you. Following Google Maps has proved wrong few times and I have learnt to use my judgement from time to time. Few years ago, Google advised me to take a left from the highway, right into a paddy field where a person could barely walk on the field edges. And I understood how dependable the map can be.

Again thanks for the info that there's not much options to eat, that will be extremely helpful for sure. I will plan accordingly and carry some food as well or pack something during breakfast break. I plan to drive 5am - 7pm which I think would be enough.

I might return via Bangalore (1-2 night halt) and was thinking of taking Varca - Karwar - Yellapur - Hubbali - Chitradurga - Bangalore. I wanted to cover the length of Goa by exiting via Karwar. I hope that's right route.

thanks,
Ashis
Old 25th August 2018, 18:55   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi Arun, Fordmanchau,

Thanks,
Ashis
Quote:
Hi Ashis,

Hey Ashish, looks like I am just in time for the reply. Fully agree with Arun here.Take the Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Bagalkot-Belgaum route to Goa. The route is fast.

With regards to places for lunch, as already advised, pack your food. Would help save time on the long route. Moreover, there aint good places to stop. you would need to be very watchful of the places on the road, as you might miss some due to the speed and before you say, hey we can stop here, you might just cross it. We had to stop on the road for the loo breaks. .
And yes, follow the highways. Google map does take you the inner roads suggesting it as the fastest route. The inbuilt navigation on my Ecosport fared better , though I made a mistake of trusting the GMAPS.

Have a good trip, Goa is just fabulous in monsoon.

regards,
Manish
Fordmanchau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:02   #1017
BHPian

Panaji to Hyderabad highway is supposedly going to be 4 laned via Chorla, Belagavi and Kalaburagi. Whenever it happens may help in reducing the travel time by a few extent.

TOI link.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65568880.cms
Old 4th September 2018, 21:38   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ashish, looks like I am just in time for the reply. Fully agree with Arun here.Take the Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Bagalkot-Belgaum route to Goa. The route is fast.
Thanks Manish!

I am travelling next week and I am also contemplating the same route. However this small closed section at Kalaburagi is worrying me. How bad is this section really? Also, I plan to do this in night. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Name:  Kalaburagiroad cosed.PNG
Views: 984
Size:  368.4 KB

Last edited by Masda : 4th September 2018 at 21:39. Reason: missed out mentioning Kalaburagi.
Old 4th September 2018, 22:02   #1019
BHPian

It appears this section will come if you take a right turn upon reaching the Gulbarga Ring Road while going from Humnabad. Do not take the right turn. Take the left turn on reaching the signal at the ring road crossing. And you will be alright. Though the condition of the ring road is by no means excellent and you will have a couple of potholes here and there, but nothing to worry about. Continue on the ring road till you reach the crossing for the Jevargi Road and take a left turn there again.
If you are looking for some food, at the Ring Road-Jevargi Road crossing, in stead of taking the left turn, just go straight for another 100 ft or so and you will get a nice hotel with restaurant, Atharva Hotel. You will be seeing their boards by the side of the road for a long time.
Traveled on 16th August on this road.
9tMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:08   #1020
BHPian

Thank you, 9tMax. You just read my mind and suggested Atharva. It does look like a good place to take a halt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks