Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 22:29   #3541
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Dear friends, I am planning to drive down to Chennai from Bangalore later this week. A couple of questions:

- How are the roads? Is the Walajapet - Sriperumbudur section any better now?

- What is a good food / break point near Ambur? If not, Vellore or Arcot? Any recommendations? I was thinking of leaving at 5am from North Bangalore, so I will probably reach around this area by 9:30am (given my slow and steady driving).

Thank you all in advance.
Last I traveled was for the new year, and it was pretty decent. Be prepared for fairly heavy traffic though once you cross Kanchipuram.

Sai Sangeet, about midway between the Vaniyambadi toll and Ambur is what I would recommend. A2B Arcot in case you decide to push further.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 07:42   #3542
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,177
Thanked: 7,389 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Last I traveled was for the new year, and it was pretty decent. Be prepared for fairly heavy traffic though once you cross Kanchipuram.

Sai Sangeet, about midway between the Vaniyambadi toll and Ambur is what I would recommend. A2B Arcot in case you decide to push further.
If you're leaving from a North Bangalore area like Banaswadi, your best bet is to hit KR Puram and then take the Chittoor Kolar route.

For that, Woody's Kolar is a reasonable breakfast point, or beyond that Nandi Food Plaza closer to Chittoor.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 09:55   #3543
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 523
Thanked: 1,589 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Dear friends, I am planning to drive down to Chennai from Bangalore later this week. A couple of questions:

- How are the roads? Is the Walajapet - Sriperumbudur section any better now?

- What is a good food / break point near Ambur? If not, Vellore or Arcot? Any recommendations? I was thinking of leaving at 5am from North Bangalore, so I will probably reach around this area by 9:30am (given my slow and steady driving).

Thank you all in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've listed the options on left side in the Bangalore-Chennai direction:
1. Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi, (on left side) may be too early for you, but they're open from 6:15 am

2. A2B, Arcot (left side)

3. Murugan Idly on left side, after Vellore when nearing Kanchipuram (I've been to the outlet on the right side which is further ahead)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you're leaving from a North Bangalore area like Banaswadi, your best bet is to hit KR Puram and then take the Chittoor Kolar route.

For that, Woody's Kolar is a reasonable breakfast point, or beyond that Nandi Food Plaza closer to Chittoor.
I traveled a lot between Bangalore and Chennai in the last 2 months, both in day and night time. Took all routes possible: (1) via Krishnagiri, (2) via Chittoor and (3) via VKota-Pernambut.

The stretch between Chittoor bypass and AP-TN border near Zion hill church (about 25kms) is STILL a mix of good and bad. Also, another 25kms from this border to Ranipet bypass on NH48 has excellent surface but has high local traffic. So, I would not recommend this route to QuadraticAmoeba. Hosur-Krishnagiri route is more peaceful and has more options for fuel, food and bio breaks.

I too recommend the places suggested by NPV on the Krishnagiri route.

The places suggested by hserus in Chittoor are both good places to break. However, they fall on the other side of the highway while going from Bangalore to Chennai - which will mean couple of U-turns. One more decent place on this route is Sree Krishna Grand near KA-AP border. This is also on the Chennai-Bangalore side of the highway.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:05   #3544
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,177
Thanked: 7,389 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
However, they fall on the other side of the highway while going from Bangalore to Chennai - which will mean couple of U-turns. One more decent place on this route is Sree Krishna Grand near KA-AP border. This is also on the Chennai-Bangalore side of the highway.
The other option is all those Maruti omni / tata ace food trucks serving idli dosa near Palamner. The quality isnít bad at all if you pick a truck that has a good crowd around it. After all idlis are idlis regardless of where they are made. There is a coffee place on the way - on the Bangalore Chennai side itself - that has good filter coffee and clean toilets, well before Palamner.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:41   #3545
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CSK
Posts: 143
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Dear friends, I am planning to drive down to Chennai from Bangalore later this week. A couple of questions:

- How are the roads? Is the Walajapet - Sriperumbudur section any better now?

- What is a good food / break point near Ambur? If not, Vellore or Arcot? Any recommendations? I was thinking of leaving at 5am from North Bangalore, so I will probably reach around this area by 9:30am (given my slow and steady driving).

Thank you all in advance.
Depends on the time you start.

Did a Hosur-Chennai on Feb 3rd.
The traffic was crazy after Kanchipuram all the way till Porur.
Didn't feel like we were driving on a highway and was like driving in city traffic.
Lots of expansion work is not properly marked or covered. Need to be extra careful in the night while overtaking from the left (due to trucks maintaining the right lane).
All these because we ended up crossing Kanchipuram at 06:30 PM and at around 07:00 we were in the industrial outskirts of Sriperumbudur.

If your destination is South of madras/Tambaram/OMR/Adyar and also if it is in the daylight. then would advice :
First Kanchipuram exit from Bangalore-Military road-Walajabad-Oragadam-Vandalur

The stretch from Military Road to the right turn in Walajabad is ridden with some potholes due to the rains in Dec/Jan and also due to the two lane-curvy roads, the local villages traffic will slow you down.

After the Walajabad turn towards Oragadam, its a bliss to drive all the way till Vandalur with proper divided two lane State Highway
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:57   #3546
BHPian
 
QuadraticAmoeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 615 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
The stretch between Chittoor bypass and AP-TN border near Zion hill church (about 25kms) is STILL a mix of good and bad. Also, another 25kms from this border to Ranipet bypass on NH48 has excellent surface but has high local traffic. So, I would not recommend this route to QuadraticAmoeba.

One more decent place on this route is Sree Krishna Grand near KA-AP border. This is also on the Chennai-Bangalore side of the highway.
Thank you. I was planning to go via Krishnagiri, but the Chittoor route is interesting because I have never driven that side. I might take the Chittoor route while coming back. Plus, my wife is also interesting in exploring that route.

Can you please give me an approximate location for the Sree Krishna Grand? The Woody's near Mulbagal / Sri Lakshmi Tiffin Room at Mulbagal are my favourite I-need-to-get-out-of-the-home drives. I am always looking for newer excuses, uh, places to get out on a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The other option is all those Maruti omni / tata ace food trucks serving idli dosa near Palamner. The quality isnít bad at all if you pick a truck that has a good crowd around it. After all idlis are idlis regardless of where they are made. There is a coffee place on the way - on the Bangalore Chennai side itself - that has good filter coffee and clean toilets, well before Palamner.
Can you give me a location for the coffee place please? I might take this route on the way back. Or even go there for coffee later just for the drive.

On a lighter note, on the topic of idlis: In my family, they prefer Tamil idlis to Kannada idlis (referring to Darshini idlis here). I lean towards the Kannada variety, esp. with Sambar dip. Also, to my tastebuds, the Kannada Vada wins by a huge margin - both size and taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Depends on the time you start. The traffic was
crazy after Kanchipuram all the way till Porur. All these because we ended up crossing Kanchipuram at 06:30 PM and at around 07:00 we were in the industrial outskirts of Sriperumbudur.
I am not very familiar with Madras geography - my destination seems to be in the middle (Anna Nagar / Kilpauk). I plan to leave early morning and reach by noon or thereabouts. Google maps gives me a straight route through Maduravoyal and Koyambedu. Would you recommend any detours in this case?
QuadraticAmoeba is online now  
Old 25th February 2021, 12:35   #3547
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 523
Thanked: 1,589 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Thank you. I was planning to go via Krishnagiri, but the Chittoor route is interesting because I have never driven that side. I might take the Chittoor route while coming back. Plus, my wife is also interesting in exploring that route.

Can you please give me an approximate location for the Sree Krishna Grand? The Woody's near Mulbagal / Sri Lakshmi Tiffin Room at Mulbagal are my favourite I-need-to-get-out-of-the-home drives. I am always looking for newer excuses, uh, places to get out on a drive.
.......
Please consider Chittoor route during return to Bangalore only if you are doing it in daylight. Or at the very least cross Chittoor bypass by 6pm.

Here is the route from Anna Nagar to Baiyappanahalli Metro station via Chittoor bypass that I'd use if I were in your place. I have marked some recommended food/bio break points in the link including Sree Krishna Grand.
I usually bypass Walajahpet using this route. Only Ranipet and BHEL township to be crossed before reaching AP border. Roads in this TN stretch are wide, smooth, undivided 2-lane but with truck and local traffic depending on time of the day. You'll enjoy the smooth stretch after Tiruvalam bridge until after Tiruvalluvar University.
Once you cross over to AP near Zion Hill Church, you will have very good stretches interspersed with small, dusty, bad stretches. You'll have to alternate from one side of the divider to another side without well marked deviations. This stretch is about 25kms (Zion Hill Church to Cafe Coffee Day on Chittoor bypass). After this, it is a divided, 4-lane concrete (slightly rough surface) highway until KA border at Gadduru toll plaza. This stretch can now be done safely even during twilight/night time. Bangarupalayam and Palamner towns are completely bypassed. There is a new toll plaza at Mahasamudram (between Chittoor and Bangarupalayam bypass). One-way toll fee is Rs.80, fastag is accepted.

From KA border to Bangalore it is smooth, 4-lane divided highway with relatively less traffic.

Last edited by srvm : 25th February 2021 at 12:38.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 13:36   #3548
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kochi
Posts: 157
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

A friend is driving from Kanchipuram to Kochi next week. What would be his best/fastest route?

Thanks in advance.
JohnnyBoss is offline  
Old 25th February 2021, 16:52   #3549
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CSK
Posts: 143
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post

I am not very familiar with Madras geography - my destination seems to be in the middle (Anna Nagar / Kilpauk). I plan to leave early morning and reach by noon or thereabouts. Google maps gives me a straight route through Maduravoyal and Koyambedu. Would you recommend any detours in this case?
AnnaNagar/Kilpauk is Kind of Central Madras region and would not recommend the Kancheepuram exit route.
And since you are starting in morning and reaching by noon, traffic should be relatively thin. stick to the Highway (kancheepuram-sriperumbudur-poonamallee-koyambedu-and beyond).
Safe Drives.

Do check for requirements for coming into TN from another state closer to the date of travel. No epass stuff, but, looks to be quarantine rules are coming into place again)
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 19:14   #3550
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 617
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

This is another place I stop for food. It is called as Hotel Amirtha.

https://goo.gl/maps/wxuXyKd3od6VvvJcA

It kind of gives me the perfect break before taking on the annoying NH48 stretch from Ranipet. I don't usually stop at any of the highway restaurants in NH48 either way.

And if you are from East of Bangalore, it is a no brainer to take the Chittoor route. The only downside being the 20% pending 4 landing between CHittorr bye pass and Naraharipet and those insane bumps on top of the bridges in the AP side 4 lane. Still beats the pain of exiting Bangalore to Hosur.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 09:44   #3551
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 7,923 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
The Woody's near Mulbagal / Sri Lakshmi Tiffin Room at Mulbagal are my favourite I-need-to-get-out-of-the-home drives. I am always looking for newer excuses, uh, places to get out on a drive.
If you do take the chittoor route and had some places in mind for food at Kolar or Mulbagal, it may be well worth going inside Mulbagal town to have the famous Mulbagal Dosa at Prasad hotel, it's about 3-4km from the highway and worth it since you're going that side.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 10:07   #3552
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 617
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you do take the chittoor route and had some places in mind for food at Kolar or Mulbagal, it may be well worth going inside Mulbagal town to have the famous Mulbagal Dosa at Prasad hotel, it's about 3-4km from the highway and worth it since you're going that side.
It is worth it, but you would have to leave your car in the main road and walk the gully. Also, there is no place to sit and eat as it is just a humble space. And the recent social media spread has ensured the place is always crowded.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 10:46   #3553
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 7,923 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
It is worth it, but you would have to leave your car in the main road and walk the gully. Also, there is no place to sit and eat as it is just a humble space. And the recent social media spread has ensured the place is always crowded.
The main road has some shops and one can park in front of them, and one of the cross roads has an old temple and that street has enough space to park the car safely.

The eatery is a small, family run place and obviously cannot scale up to meet the demands of footfalls generated by all the publicity since they were featured on YouTube by food vloggers. Better to avoid going on weekends and try to reach early.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 13:55   #3554
BHPian
 
QuadraticAmoeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 615 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
It is worth it, but you would have to leave your car in the main road and walk the gully. Also, there is no place to sit and eat as it is just a humble space. And the recent social media spread has ensured the place is always crowded.
Thanks. I have figured out that I should only go to such places on weekdays and that too early in the morning (like 7:30am). I will surely try out Prasad hotel.

PS: the entrance to the hanging bridge on Old Madras Road is jammed - I noticed this today at 6am. Luckily I was taking a U turn just before the jam to go to HAL and thence Hosur. Seems the metro work is leading to big jams.
QuadraticAmoeba is online now  
Old 26th February 2021, 15:22   #3555
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,177
Thanked: 7,389 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Thanks. I have figured out that I should only go to such places on weekdays and that too early in the morning (like 7:30am). I will surely try out Prasad hotel.

PS: the entrance to the hanging bridge on Old Madras Road is jammed - I noticed this today at 6am. Luckily I was taking a U turn just before the jam to go to HAL and thence Hosur. Seems the metro work is leading to big jams.
This just means exit bangalore before 5 AM or spend forever trying to exit it
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks