Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 19:51   #3556
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Hi Folks, I have been doing the Whitefield (BLR) - Ambattur (MAS) trip for many years now.. I have always taken the Hosur - Krishnagiri route. I would like to try the Chittoor route in the near future but wanted to understand how this would be better than the Hosur route.. which is pretty well stocked with eateries and also decent roads for the most part.

Google maps says that the Chittoor route is a good 15 kms shorter but takes longer than the Hosur route. So is the shorter distance + lesser tolls the benefit of the Chittoor route?

Thanks much

Nimz
Old 26th February 2021, 23:59   #3557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
but wanted to understand how this would be better than the Hosur route.. which is pretty well stocked with eateries and also decent roads for the most part.
Short answer - It won't be better.

Long answer - One will end up driving 'more' on the Chittoor route even though the distance is less. More driving negotiating the loads of trucks (who want to save diesel and toll) and more driving in the two-lane road (single lane each way), where you can't overtake easily. From google maps, I see that this stretch extends from Chittoor till Walajah. Add to this, less eating and caffeine options, this is still not better in any significant way. I did have the same itch few years ago , tried the Chittoor route and decided not to try it again till it is 100% four-laned
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 06:54   #3558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Short answer - It won't be better.

Long answer - One will end up driving 'more' on the Chittoor route
The places I need to go to on my monthly (well, not since the lockdown but for the past few years anyway) in Bangalore are all Whitefield and Indira Nagar, with an occasional trip to the MG road area.

It makes zero sense for me to take the Hosur Road in this case, and as for food options - well, I don’t eat all that much and have no issues with eating at food carts. The petrol pumps generally have clean toilets, so that other need is taken care of.
Old 27th February 2021, 07:51   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks, I have been doing the Whitefield (BLR) - Ambattur (MAS) trip for many years now.. I have always taken the Hosur - Krishnagiri route. I would like to try the Chittoor route in the near future but wanted to understand how this would be better than the Hosur route..
Practically speaking: My drives are typically from Marathahalli to Kottivakkam. The Chittoor route is a good 30 km shorter for me door to door (330 vs 360 km) and takes approximately the same amount of time. The toll saving is an extra. From Whitefield the equation should be even more tantalising. I am more of a long on-road type driver, stopping rarely (I carry my own coffee and snacks).

I would avoid it if driving overnight, of course. Or when with family (who need occasional stoppages).
Old 27th February 2021, 12:12   #3560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Practically speaking: My drives are typically from Marathahalli to Kottivakkam. The Chittoor route is a good 30 km shorter for me door to door (330 vs 360 km) and takes approximately the same amount of time. The toll saving is an extra. From Whitefield the equation should be even more tantalising.
I guess it depends on where in Whitefield we start from. I just hit Varthur and am at Attibele toll in 40-45 mins. For me it's just 15 kms lesser (315 km door to door via Chittoor) vs 330 kms. And in terms of time the Chittor route takes more time.

Maybe I will try it one day but good to know am not missing much. Have always been intrigued while reading posts here.
Old 27th February 2021, 14:03   #3561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I will try it one day but good to know am not missing much. Have always been intrigued while reading posts here.
Yeah, you might not be missing anything (except that it is a bit more scenic). But if you are driving to Ambattur then maybe your savings would be higher if you took Chittoor-Thiruthani-Thiruvallur. It can't be worse than Kanchipuram-Poonamallee.

Btw, there is a dedicated thread here for Bangalore-Chennai via Chittoor (Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries). You should take a look there too.

Last edited by binand : 27th February 2021 at 14:05. Reason: Added link to dedicated thread
Old 27th February 2021, 20:52   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, you might not be missing anything (except that it is a bit more scenic). But if you are driving to Ambattur then maybe your savings would be higher if you took Chittoor-Thiruthani-Thiruvallur. It can't be worse than Kanchipuram-Poonamallee.

Btw, there is a dedicated thread here for Bangalore-Chennai via Chittoor (Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries). You should take a look there too.
Thanks. I will check out the thread specific to the Chittoor route.

Thiruthani route does not come up in Google maps as a default. But it is a good 30 kms shorter however the time taken extends significantly.. maybe that's Google's algorithm. I will trawl the forums for more info on this route.

If this route is decently motorable I will definitely try it. And yes getting into Chennai is a pain. We have however settled into a routine of leaving Whitefield at 9 AM and reaching Chennai around 2 PM where traffic is not so bad.

Thanks a bunch
Nimz
Old 11th March 2021, 21:21   #3563
BHPian

Dear all,

I need to travel to Chennai in the 3rd week of March for 2 to 3 days. I want to know if we would need e pass or Corona -ve report to get in to TN and then get back to Bangalore.

Appreciate your feedback on this.

Regards,

Narayan.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:36   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chittoor-Thiruthani-Thiruvallur. It can't be worse than Kanchipuram-Poonamallee.
Tiruttani-Tiruvallur-Ambattur is definitely worse than Kanchipuram-Poonamalee. The latter is bumpy alright, but you can keep at 60-80 for the most part. Tiruttani-Tiruvallur has significantly high 2-wheeler traffic, so negotiating them along with mediocre roads don't really make it an attractive proposition. Once while returning from Thiruvalangadu, I've found the Arakkonam-Takkolam-Sriperumbudur road better even though it has high number of speed breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
I need to travel to Chennai in the 3rd week of March for 2 to 3 days. I want to know if we would need e pass or Corona -ve report to get in to TN and then get back to Bangalore.
Nothing as of now. Just entered and returned 2-3 days back

Last edited by narayans80 : 11th March 2021 at 21:38.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:26   #3565
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting my yesterdays Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore trip details here as this thread has higher visibility and will be helping more TBHPians.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5021477 (Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries)

The net net recommendation is:
  • If you are driving in day time and starting from North/East Bangalore, you can definitely take Bangalore-Chittoor-Ranipet-Madras. Except for great road surface with 6L, there is no big advantage in taking Hosur route which is additional kms (meaning you spend more fuel which is spiking in price), end up driving through Bangalore city traffic via Indira Nagar, Ejipura, Koramangala, Silk board, EC, Hosur industry traffic taking more time and driving effort plus costly tolls.
  • If you are driving in night time, stick to Hosur route considering the safety due to diversions/road constructions in Chittoor route.

-Ravi
Old 16th March 2021, 21:43   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all,

Appreciate your feedback on this.

Regards,

Narayan.
In continuationto my earlier query, my dates have been finalised. I have a strong reason to travel to Checnnai on 23rd March and retutn on 24th March. In addition to the Covid restrictions I am more worried about the election atmosphere in TN. I will be stopped at several places in TN and checked for cash, jewels etc. . Has anyone experienced this in the recent past? Maybe I can take the chittoor route and by doing so I will be travellinig more in AP than in TN and may be able to minimise these election related checks by authorities? Is that an option? Can anyone please give me some suggestions on this?

Regards,

Narayan.
Old 16th March 2021, 21:56   #3567
BHPian

Quote:
I will be stopped at several places in TN and checked for cash, jewels etc. . Has anyone experienced this in the recent past? Maybe I can take the chittoor route and by doing so I will be travellinig more in AP than in TN and may be able to minimise these election related checks by authorities? Is that an option? Can anyone please give me some suggestions on this?
Yes there are many checking plaza's that were opened up and I doubt if they will stop all the cars that are plying. Could be a random check. I would still recommend the Chittoor route to reduce the checking.

We travelled between Pondy and Chennai last weekend and were stopped for checking both ways at multiple points. I doubt it was because we were in a tempo traveller.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 22:32   #3568
BHPian

Quote:
I will be stopped at several places in TN and checked for cash, jewels etc. . Has anyone experienced this in the recent past?

Regards,

Narayan.
I drove from Coimbatore to Bangalore yesterday and wasn't stopped anywhere. However last week, I was stopped somewhere near Rajapalayam. While there were multiple checkpoints between Tenkasi and Thirumangalam, I was stopped at only one and let pass others.

So I have come to the conclusion that the checks are more on the 2 lane highways and less on divided highways. Also, the checkposts I have observed are more so on the exits of such divided highways that lead to the cities/towns.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 07:21   #3569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be stopped at several places in TN and checked for cash, jewels etc. . Has anyone experienced this in the recent past?
I have travelled and have been checked during pretty much all the important elections that heppened in any of these three states (KA, KL, TN) in the last 10 years or so. This year I was stopped just outside Mecheri (on the road to Pennagaram) and was let go with just a cursory glance inside my vehicle and a couple of questions. In general these are painless and often would skip a certain profile of travellers. If they do choose to check, be cooperative and don't be rude; you can be out quickly enough.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:23   #3570
BHPian

I did a night drive back from Chennai on Sunday and I would recommend everyone not to do so until the elections get over.

There was election checking all the way till Attibele and I was stopped 4 times in total. It was quite a detailed checking taking a video of the glovebox and the boot everytime. I even had to open the suitcase and bags to show I didnt have any cash. This despite travelling with a small kid and the wife both of whom were asleep in the rear seat. Lost at least 30 mins in all this checking.

There was less checking on the way to Chennai on Saturday morning. Was stopped just once, and was let go post a cursory check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks