Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 23:11   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

If you are traveling in day time (which is anyway needed currently in standard route due to horrible roads), here are two other alternate routes to experiment and try which are still under 250 kms from Bangalore.

These options are not in any preferred order.

These are very scenic routes / ghat roads that goes between mountains and many movies were shot here as well, as i heard. What we don't know is current road condition of these 2L roads. In a perfect weather, it should be great to enjoy these 2L roads, provided the roads are in good condition.

Obviously these routes are not NH. But if we can try these routes, they are good alternatives to avoid heavy traffic and accident prone Chittoor-Tirupati route and completely avoids all bus & truck traffic. The compromise is no stop over, which is anyway true even in current Chittoor-Tirupati 90+ kms section.

Alternate Option-1

Bangalore-Chittoor-Kotha Palli Mitta - Pachika Pallam - Rayalu Cheruvu - Tirupati
https://goo.gl/maps/sPfNJiicJcsd3LZM8

Alternate Option-2
Bangalore-Chittoor-Kotha Palli Mitta - Penumuru - Patha gunta - Vedurukuppam - Pachika Pallam - Rayalu Cheruvu - Tirupati
https://goo.gl/maps/fdiceG9W2wyLgoGa6

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st December 2020 at 23:19.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:12   #1232
BHPian

Took this route (https://maps.app.goo.gl/pHw1wefUM82SZonV8) and found this to be a decent one. The road gets narrow for last 8-10kms, but still it is okay to drive.
At one place, there was a googly from gmaps. It took me to non-existent bridge (over Bahuda river)! Then I had to take a deviation to enter another bridge which is very next to it. Other than this, there were no surprises as such.
While returning back, I somehow missed this route and hence I was forced to take the Kanipakam route. Man, that is terrible at some places. Google maps also lead me to some dead ends at 3 places.
Started from home at 6am, reached car parking in Tirumala at 11.15, entered the darshan queue at 12pm, exited the main door after darshan at 1pm, started back the return journey at 2pm and reached home at 6.35pm.
kavensri is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:40   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Kavensri.
I was waiting for your update. Glad to know you had a good darshan.

I shall be leaving tomorrow morning and will take the route you have given. Hopefully, i manage to find the same route back on the return as well.

So, basically i follow the highway, get into Chitoor town and then, follow your route.? Did I get that right ?

Regards
KJ

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 22nd December 2020 at 11:45.
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:06   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thank you Kavensri.
I was waiting for your update. Glad to know you had a good darshan.

I shall be leaving tomorrow morning and will take the route you have given. Hopefully, i manage to find the same route back on the return as well.

So, basically i follow the highway, get into Chitoor town and then, follow your route.? Did I get that right ?

Regards
KJ
Couple of things...
1) You may have to encounter city traffic within chittoor city, but i felt that it was much better than what i could have experienced on main roads with lot of trucks, dust, stones, etc.
2) Suggest you to create a route by marking the places, before you start your return journey. I did the mistake of not doing it and hence missed the route.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 17:12   #1235
BHPian

Can someone share the location of new Woody's restaurant ?
Old 25th December 2020, 18:09   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Can someone share the location of new Woody's restaurant ?
https://goo.gl/maps/k5fGiD36DStUstsi8

I saw this link on a different thread and presume you were looking for this one.

Update of my 23rd trip :

Left home ( near NICE kanakpura) at 6 am. Took the route recommended by Kavensri. Good drive. Stopped for breakfast at Nandi Food plaza.

Reached Tirumala around 11.15 am. Darshan was real quick.

Return journey : I planned to take the same route via Chittoor town, but gmaps suggested via Kanipakkam Temple road and said it was 45 mins faster. I had time in hand and was thinking that I’ll take that route and was mentally prepared to handle bad roads.

Surprise surprise - it didn’t turn out as bad. Roads under construction and most times you have to take small deviations inside village roads to get back to the highway. I indeed saved about 30-45 mins that would have got lost if I entered Chittoor town.

However , I won’t recommend this route during night time. With the pace of work I see , I think the roads should be done and ready in 4-5 more months.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 12:19   #1237
BHPian

Travelled to Tirupati from Chittoor on 26th and this update is for members travelling to Tirupati through the Chittoor Town.

Took the Penumuru route this time and the roads were awesome. Note, this is a country single lane route with very less traffic but for an occasional tractor or a share auto. I took this route at 5 AM in the morning so, it was literally only me in the entire stretch. This route avoids the dreaded Puthalapattu, Rangampeta Cross.

Google Route Map

On the return leg, went to Appalaya Gunta Venkateswara Swamy Temple and so had to take a different route back to Chittoor. Again these are well laid single lane country roads and would recommend this if you want to adventure into some really scenic (with hills, streams, lakes and paddy fields) native roads and with no panicky passengers with you. Max speeds of 60KMPH is what you can reach.

Tirupati->Tiruchanoor->Applayagunta->Rayalacheruvu ->Pachikapalam->Devalampeta->GD Nellore->Puttur Road ->Chittoor.

Last edited by saisree : 28th December 2020 at 12:25.
saisree is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 08:19   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a Tirupati trip in January first week. Will leave BLR (Hebbal area) early by 0500 with SE Darshan probably around 1200 to 1300.

Any tips on the route please? I have a low GC sedan so would prefer to stick to the wider roads rather than shortcuts. Return is immediately after darshan, so would appreciate a return route which allows for safe night driving (for the last portion if required).

Google suggesting the normal Mulbagal-Palamner-Chittoor route. Any updates on the Varigapalli-Kanipakam bypass?

https://goo.gl/maps/jR8witNV5WnPU65AA

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th December 2020 at 08:39.
Old 30th December 2020, 09:38   #1239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Planning a Tirupati trip in January first week. Will leave BLR (Hebbal area) early by 0500 with SE Darshan probably around 1200 to 1300.

Any tips on the route please? I have a low GC sedan so would prefer to stick to the wider roads rather than shortcuts. Return is immediately after darshan, so would appreciate a return route which allows for safe night driving (for the last portion if required).
If you finish Darshan by 1300 or even 1400, and a lunch break of 1 hour, you can still reach Chittoor before darkness. After that there are no worries and you will reach Bangalore in no time. Just set cruise control to some speed and leave the rest to the car. Hence, whatever is of the construction and deviation mess, is all between Tirupathi and Chittoor. The rest is perfect. Just take the main highway and dont worry about any shortcuts. You will face some traffic close to Chittoor while coming from Tirupathi but nothing crazy except you will have to slow down for a while.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 09:57   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hence, whatever is of the construction and deviation mess, is all between Tirupathi and Chittoor. The rest is perfect. Just take the main highway and dont worry about any shortcuts. You will face some traffic close to Chittoor while coming from Tirupathi but nothing crazy except you will have to slow down for a while.
Thanks! How is this bit which I understand is a greenfield portion?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries-screenshot_20201230095433.jpg  

Old 30th December 2020, 10:24   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! How is this bit which I understand is a greenfield portion?
I havent tried that yet. My last trip to Tirupati was before lockdown and this greenfield portion was far from being complete. Hence I took the usual Chittor bypass and then the Penumuru route. If google is suggesting that route I believe it might be tractable at least, maybe with some diversions and unfinished portions. I think this is the same stretch as mentioned by jKrishnaj in his earlier post. In fact the stretch between Chittor and TPT is being realigned and a lot of stretches are greenfield, so if someone can actually update the status of this road it will be useful.

But nevertheless, you would not face any issue since you will cover all this in daylight for sure. If you make it to Chittoor before 6 then after that its beautiful concrete roads till KA Border and the usual highway after that. However in my last visit, I was not very happy with the expansion gaps on bridges on the AP side of the road. Since its a concrete road, they havent levelled the road well and the expansion gaps as well as the segments of the bridges are not smooth. So watch out for any sharp or broken edges since I believe you use a car with low profile tyres.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:38   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Return journey : I planned to take the same route via Chittoor town, but gmaps suggested via Kanipakkam Temple road and said it was 45 mins faster. I had time in hand and was thinking that I’ll take that route and was mentally prepared to handle bad roads.

Surprise surprise - it didn’t turn out as bad. Roads under construction and most times you have to take small deviations inside village roads to get back to the highway. I indeed saved about 30-45 mins that would have got lost if I entered Chittoor town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If google is suggesting that route I believe it might be tractable at least, maybe with some diversions and unfinished portions. I think this is the same stretch as mentioned by jKrishnaj in his earlier post. In fact the stretch between Chittor and TPT is being realigned and a lot of stretches are greenfield, so if someone can actually update the status of this road it will be useful.

So watch out for any sharp or broken edges since I believe you use a car with low profile tyres.
Thank you both for the updates and tips. I will definitely take the greenfield route on the way there - will update based on my experience. Requesting other TBHP-ians to also provide their inputs.

I will need to be careful on those expansion joints / level differences as that is exactly what murders run-flats.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 19:36   #1243
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Alternate Option-2
Bangalore-Chittoor-Kotha Palli Mitta - Penumuru - Patha gunta - Vedurukuppam - Pachika Pallam - Rayalu Cheruvu - Tirupati
https://goo.gl/maps/fdiceG9W2wyLgoGa6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Took the Penumuru route this time and the roads were awesome. Note, this is a country single lane route with very less traffic but for an occasional tractor or a share auto. I took this route at 5 AM in the morning so, it was literally only me in the entire stretch. This route avoids the dreaded Puthalapattu, Rangampeta Cross.

Google Route Map
Are these 2 the same route ? Got confused looking at the maps.

@Saisree - for a 3-4pm start from Bangalore would the Chittoor-Penumuru route you mentioned be fine ?

Also, on decent budget hotels with car parking - I have one recommendation from @ravib for PLR Grand, any more ? (Prefer to stay closer to Alipiri Gate).

Last edited by NPV : 30th December 2020 at 19:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 00:50   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just back from a darshan at Tirumala today. We were 4 adults with light luggage in a low GC car (Jetta) and did not have any issue on the onward journey.

I took the route suggested by kavensri, all the relevant sore points have already been mentioned (chittoor traffic, non-existent bridge etc), just adding one more point specific to a low GC sedan- at times the road gets narrow and the unpaved road shoulder is a good 5-6 inches deep, enough to scrape the underbelly of a sedan.

I travelled through this stretch late evening ~7pm and didn't encounter much traffic. The few heavy vehicles I encountered were kind enough to get off the road when I overtook them or when we passed each other. If you travel during the day, it should me much better. I didn't face any issue other than this and the route is a LOT better than driving through the usual Chittoor bypass road, a sample of which I experienced on the return journey.

I made the mistake of not saving the route and ended up trusting google maps on my return journey which routed me through Kanipakam. I missed a right turn where Puthalapattu-Naidupete road joins the Bangalore-Tirupati highway and thereafter it was slow progress before finally rejoining the highway at Bangarupalem after numerous diversions, rerouting from dead-ends, driving through narrow lanes of small towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, on decent budget hotels with car parking - I have one recommendation from @ravib for PLR Grand, any more ? (Prefer to stay closer to Alipiri Gate).
Pai Viceroy and the one right opposite Hotel Orion come to mind. I've stayed at both and Pai Viceroy is the better of the two (rooms, safe car parking, service etc) and also the more expensive. There's also Raj Park Tirupati but I've never stayed there. All these are 5 mins from Alipiri gate and close to Kapila Theertha temple.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 19:34   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
@Saisree - for a 3-4pm start from Bangalore would the Chittoor-Penumuru route you mentioned be fine ?
I wouldn't recommend this route in the evenings. Its a single road with few villages enroute and the rest being thick country. Getting any help will be problematic. But, will recommend day drives.

Quote:
Are these 2 the same route ? Got confused looking at the maps.
No both are different. The route I gave will again lead you to actual Chittoor - Tirupati road. You will reach the Chandragiri town cross and can take the Alipiri/Tirumala byepass road. The other route given by ravib will take you to the Tirupati Town.
saisree is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks