Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:46   #3361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
Question - Are there are any adjustments necessary for this default suggested google map route or can I follow the google map route as is?
Not required. You can follow googlemaps.

As a basic thing, what I normally do is also remember the way-points that I will pass in the route that I am taking.

In your case based on the 2 routes, here is what I would like to summarize:

Route 1:

Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hubli Bypass (Till 26 kms from toll gate) - Turn Left for Alnavar - Alnavar Outskits - Turn right for Khanapur - Khanapur - Jamboti - Keep left - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa (As there is one more route via Mapusa also) - Destination.

Route 2:

Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hubli Bypass MK Hubli - Khanapur - Jamboti - Keep left - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa (As there is one more route via Mapusa also) - Destination.

If you keep tab on the way points that you are crossing, navigation is very easy to reach your destination.

Quote:
Also, please suggest good places for breakfast and lunch in this route.
Breakfast:
  1. Kamat @ Ranebennur Bypass - 300 kms
  2. CCD @ Shiggaon - 360 kms
  3. Kamat @ Varur - 386 kms
  4. CCD @ Opp to Dharwad Bench of High Court (Only if you take MK Hubli Route) - 435 kms

Lunch:
Less choices here if you skip Belgaum. If you manage a 4:30am Start, you can as well be in Goa for Lunch. Else you can stop at Wildernest Resort, Chorla for Lunch (Buffet was available, confirm with them).

In case you pass Belgaum, you have Hotel Sankam and Hotel Ramdev as good options for lunch which will be 500 kms/6.5-7 hours based on start time and pace.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd December 2015 at 17:47.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 13:16   #3362
BHPian

Folks planning to travel to Colva in Goa tonight, will be driving a Xuv, destination is Colva beach read lot of horror stories about the mollem route and road being bad. Please suggest the best route possible. I am a night driver so would be leaving around 12:30 pm from Bangalore. We travel packed with our own breakfast and kids would mostly be sleeping.

Guess the Chorla route would be too long . Karwar route seems to be an option.I see the below options recommended.

If you must go via Karwar, stick to NH4 - Bankapur, Mundgod, Yellapur, Ankola, Karwar.

Is this the best option to stick too also would i able to cover the same in 10 hours. Any other better or shorter alternatives with good roads.
Suggestions are welcome.
Old 24th December 2015, 13:38   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post

If you must go via Karwar, stick to NH4 - Bankapur, Mundgod, Yellapur, Ankola, Karwar.

Is this the best option to stick too also would i able to cover the same in 10 hours. Any other better or shorter alternatives with good roads.
Suggestions are welcome.
For South Goa, this is the best route. I am not sure how appropriate the bankapur-mundgod-Yellapur stretch would be for night drive. Parag and others can comment.

If I was driving in the night, I would take Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar.
Old 24th December 2015, 13:56   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
For South Goa, this is the best route. I am not sure how appropriate the bankapur-mundgod-Yellapur stretch would be for night drive. Parag and others can comment.

If I was driving in the night, I would take Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar.
I checked in google maps. From my place to Bankapur is 387 Kms. It would take roughly 5 to 6 hours to reach. Considering my start time. i probably would reach the bankapur-mundgod-Yellapur stretch post 6 AM. Daylight should break by then. I do not feel it should be a challenge early morning.
Old 27th December 2015, 16:40   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p06rakeshb View Post
Hello everybody

Planning on driving from Bangalore (whitefield) to Agonda, Goa on the 24th.

Can start as early as 3:30-4:00 if that helps. Google suggests the route below but I do not see mention of the Gokarna section in the previous posts. It is my first drive to Goa and would love to hear from you about which routes will give me the best time and stops (bio & food).

Any tips for the return journey also appreciated.

Attachment 1451031
Update after my trip to Goa & Back.

Onward - Bangalore-Bankapur-Yellapur-Ankola-Narwar-Canacona

left Bangalore at 4:30 AM and reached Goa at 3:00 PM. NH4 from Bangalore to Bankapur is excellent. Great drive.

Bankapur - Yellapur - Good roads (not as great as NH4 but good). very few bad patches.

Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Canacone - Good roads

lessons learnt - early drive through Tumkur makes for excellent time and beating all the commercial traffic on that road

Return - Same route

Left 05:30 AM & reached at 3:20 PM.

Lessons learnt - Tumkur traffic slows you down a bit but early start through narrow roads until Bankapur saved me at least a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
p06rakeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 11:18   #3366
BANNED

Did Bangalore-Molem on 25th and returned last night.

While going to Molem, took the regular Bangalore-Hubli-Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Molem Route.

Road between Ramnagar and Goa Border is bad. THe stretch is having big and deepcraters and night time may be extremely risky diving in this section. For a high ground clearance vehicle, the road conditions are not an issue.

While returning took Mollem-Anmod-Khanapur-MK Hubli-Bangalor Route.

Road between Khanapur and MK Hubli is bad and muddy because of construction work otherwise route is extremely good in rest of the sections.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:03   #3367
BHPian

Did Kochi- Mangalore- Gokharna - Anjuna

And a Return Anjuna- Honnavara- Shimoga- Mysore- Coimbatore - Kochi.

Roads were in good shape except for a patch between mysore and the sathyamangalam forest. The roads within the forest were great. Goa to shimoga was smooth and is a route you can consider for Goa- Bangalore.

Karnataka police will keep bugging you for bribes at all check points though.
The Adventurer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 13:12   #3368
BHPian

Dear All,

I am planning to drive down to Goa (Candolim) from Bangalore on 1st January 2016. The plan is to start early by 3:30 AM and reach Goa by 2 PM. Just wanted to check the best route possible. Also, with me being a sedate driver who usually drives in the range of 70-90 kmph, is the target of reaching Goa by 2 PM realistic? I like to take short breaks of 10-15 mins after every 120 mins of driving to stretch myself. Would be great if you guys may help me with the pit stops (breakfast, lunch and the COCO outlets) enroute to Goa.
Old 30th December 2015, 20:20   #3369
NAK

I just finished my goa trip from Bangalore and would strongly recommend the karwar route. Take left from Bankapur onwards to Mundgol, Yellapur and Karwar. Brilliant road and scenic as well. I think 2 pm should be achievable..
NAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 22:02   #3370
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to do a Goa-Coorg-Bangalore-Goa trip. I plan to split the trip into 4 sections of day driving. Reason being I don't want to drive at night and I don't want to wake up early to start the journey.
The plan is as follows:
Drive to Mangalore and spend the night there. Please suggest a good hotel there. Next morning after breakfast, drive to Coorg and stay there 3 days. From there drive to Bangalore and spend a couple of days. Again please suggest a hotel. Now comes the doubt. I need to split the Goa-Bangalore leg. Please suggest the location and suitable hotel to spend the night. I was thinking of Hubli or Dharwad.
Vehicle: Skoda Rapid
Pasengers: 2 (Wife & Myself)
Intention is to drive at a leisurely pace and enjoy the surroundings.
Old 1st January 2016, 09:39   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
. Now comes the doubt. I need to split the Goa-Bangalore leg. Please suggest the location and suitable hotel to spend the night. I was thinking of Hubli or Dharwad.
Vehicle: Skoda Rapid
Pasengers: 2 (Wife & Myself)
Intention is to drive at a leisurely pace and enjoy the surroundings.
Hi. Just a suggestion. If you're intention is take in the surroundings and drive at a leisurely pace why don't you do bangalore to hampi and then hampi to goa. Its about a 5 hour drive from bangalore and i think its a good place to spend half a day and a night.
Old 4th January 2016, 12:17   #3372

Folks,
Got back last week from Madgao.
From Bangalore took NH4 to Dharwar and then to Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda-Madgao.
Road Conditions:
Bangalore to Tumkur - Road is good. A pain with all the traffic.
Tumkur to Chitradurga - Dream drive - three lanes - superb surface. I was doing 140 kmph, but there were others overtaking me.
Chitradurga - Hubli - Road is O.K. Two lane. Deep ruts have formed on the road due to overweight trucks which is a pain to drive.
Hubli - Dharwar Bypass: Road is good. Single lane. Pain overtaking. Slows you down.
Dharwar - Ramnagar: Good road. Single lane. Little traffic.
Ramnagar - Anmod: 24 km of torture. Watch Wages of Fear to know what I mean.
Anmod - Madgao - Road is good. Great to drive on Goan roads. They really know their roads.
Times:
Departed at 5 AM from Peenya 3rd Stage and Tumkur Road intersection (from where you get on the flyover). 10 hours to Madgao with one hour of breakfast and tea and photo breaks.
Breakfast at Ranebennur Kamath Upachar - Just as previous posts advised.
Side Note:
Somebody mentioned Jog Falls: They may want to ask if the Sharavathi is in full flow at this time of the year.
Old 4th January 2016, 20:33   #3373
Senior - BHPian

One experience to share from my last drive

We're cruising along the Khanapur - Parishwad Cross - MK Hubli Road past midnight. I was behind the wheel and I slowed down for a speedbreaker in a small village near Parishwad Cross. Two people appeared out of no where and blocked the way by standing in front of car. Then proceeded to the driver's and co passenger's road. Everyone else was sleeping and I woke my co-passenger but he mistook them for police and slightly opened the door. The guy attempted to open the door wide but my friend could close it quickly. In the meanwhile the other guy proceed to ask something to me. I lowered my window by 1-2 cm. He started asking me where we're coming from and where we're headed to.Sensing something is bad, I revved the engine. They stepped back and I accelerated through the slight gap and fled the scene

(they were hiding on the side of a house or shop. They charged towards the car probably hearing the sound of the car)

The remaining drive was little scary. One and half lane road. No vehicles other than few trucks and tractors with two trailers joined back to back. I had this constant thought in my mind - that if they call someone on phone and ask them to block us on the way

May be this is one off-incident. But then, I'll be avoiding this road for late night drives in the future. Mostly, I'll carry something which I can use on such individuals without getting myself into trouble - probably, a pepper spray

Last edited by Klub Class : 4th January 2016 at 21:01.
Old 6th January 2016, 12:56   #3374
RCD
BHPian

I am going to Goa on Saturday morning and returning on Tuesday. Planning to leave at 3 am from Old Airport road. While going I plan to take the NH4 till Haveri ( more precisely Bankapur ) , then turn left towards Mundgod, Yellapur, Virje. Then google maps seems to suggest a slightly shorter cut using SH34 instead of SH6 ( Kadra to Kanasgiri ) and avoiding Karwar. Then back on to the coast road NH66 ( Edapally-Panvel rd ) to Club Mahindra Varka beach ( bit south of Colva beach ). This route should help avoid the traffic of Margao which is such a pain.

I want to know :
1) is the SH 34 plan viable , or should I stick with the often travelled Karvar road instead ?
2) Assuming an hour for breakfast and one more stop, by when could I expect to get to Varka ?
3) On my way back, should I take this road or the jog falls / shimoga route as I will be passing jog falls in the day time. My past experience has been that while the jog falls route is far more scenic, the twists and turns make it much longer to traverse.
4) Could someone give me a driving time estimate of returning the same way I am going vs. the jog falls route.

Thanks a ton.
Old 11th January 2016, 10:18   #3375
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here can help with good options for food in and around Panjim? A friend of mine is traveling to Panjim around Jan 26th holidays. The route options and related logistics is pretty clear from this thread. Thanks. But food recommendations is something I am unable to help. So if someone can provide veg and non-veg options, it would be great.

I have been to Goa umpteen number of times but never ate outside. Always back to home to eat. Recommendations from earlier trips from anyone here recently would be great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks