Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 14:50   #4561
BHPian

What is the opinion on taking the Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-Karwar route to Palolem, Goa? The route suggested by Google map is Davanagere-Haveri-Sirsi-Karwar route. Reason why I'm asking is I don't mind taking a more peaceful scenic route even though it adds one more hour to travel time. But, I don't have a fastag, which means I'll have to spend a lot of time at toll booths considering a lot of people might be traveling to Goa this upcoming long weekend.
Old 30th September 2019, 18:27   #4562
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Friends: I am driving to Colva from Bangalore in a couple of days with family. Please let me know the best route options (Onward and return) as I am confused after reading that most frequent routes are either closed due to land slides or having bad stretch.
All inputs / suggestions appreciated!!
BANGALORE- KITTUR - BIDI - CHORLA - HONDA - PONDA (BYPASS) - MARGAO - COLVA

I recommend this route.

I wasn't sure of road conditions between Chorla and Kittur but Crhysis (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) has mentioned nothing too bad apart from couple of big pot holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
Just reached. Came via Hubli - Kittur - Nangad - Chorla - Marcel - Dona Paula. Took about 4.5 hrs. The road between Kittur and Nangad has stretches of very good roads and then stretches of broken roads. Nothing too bad, apart from a couple of big pot holes. The ghats are in a bad state.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:14   #4563
BHPian

Friend leaving for goa. The above route is one possiblity.
Otherwise would you suggest BANGALORE- Belgaum - CHORLA route

Last edited by carbookie : 1st October 2019 at 11:15.
Old 1st October 2019, 15:18   #4564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
Friend leaving for goa. The above route is one possiblity.
Otherwise would you suggest BANGALORE- Belgaum - CHORLA route
I will not recommend above route.

But wasn't your destination Colva? The map you have shared has Calangute as destination.
Old 1st October 2019, 23:51   #4565

Hey folks
I just travelled to Goa and back...28 sept 19-1st oct 19.

28th Sept: BLR-Tumkur-Hubli-Dharwad-Khanapur-Chorla Ghat-Goa
Left at 0400. Checked into my destination at 1500 hrs. This is including a 30 min breakfast stop at Davangere (Apoorva resorts-decent food n rest rooms).

Road surface: After Chitradurga, there is the lane expansion work underway. You will be forced to get onto the surface road and back. Road humps at most places when you need to detour. Service roads are ok ok - not bad. Got to watch for an odd deep pothole. Hubli-Dharwad stretch is good. I took a route after Dharwad to Khanapur to Chorla Ghat. The guys at the Hubli-Dharwad toll can guide you. The turn off is about 23 km post the exit of the Hubli-Dharwad toll road. My route was of internal roads - decent surface. Would recommend day travel on this route. This route saves one the hassle and time of going through Belgaum.

Chorla Ghat: Karnataka section is pretty decent, but watch the edges as the drains look deep. Goa section is a bit damaged due to rains. Drive with care. If you in a sedan, it could take a bit more time.

Note:
Chitradurga to Hubli section: While work is underway, on the completed portions, the lane marking was not done yet. So if you are travelling when it's dark, do anticipate the road and watch for the road humps as and when you need to get onto service roads.

Much to what I read, it was decent. Travelled at a decent pace (did not cross 120) and reached destination in a good time.

Hope this helps. Safe journey folks.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2019 at 11:35. Reason: Formatting. See note in post.
Mandax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 21:57   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandax View Post
I just travelled to Goa and back...28 sept 19-1st oct 19.
I took a route after Dharwad to khanapur to chorla ghat...the guys at the hubli Dharwad toll can guide you...the turn off is about 23kms post the exit of the hubli Dharwad tolls road...
Are you referring to Kittur - Bidi - Khanapur Road?
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:09   #4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Are you referring to Kittur - Bidi - Khanapur Road?
Yes...don't recall the small township where i had to turn off from the highway...it was about 23kms from the last toll both (Hubli Dharwad bypass toll both)...did pass bidi...nangad...khanapur.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd October 2019 at 06:54. Reason: See note in post.
Mandax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 08:29   #4568
BHPian

Travelled from Bangalore to Palolem, Goa two days ago and the Haveri to Sirsi route is in a pathetic condition. I have to head back to Bangalore day after, and I want to travel a bit peacefully. I was thinking of these two routes:

1. Palolem-Honnavar-Shimoga-Bangalore

2. Palolem-Yellapur-Haveri-Bangalore

Don't mind driving an additional hour or so, just don't want a bone-numbing experience like Sirsi route.
Old 4th October 2019, 09:20   #4569

Travelled to Goa on 29th and back on 2nd.

Would recommend the Tadas-Kalaghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar route. Apart from the diversions post Chitradurga for 6 Laning, the rest of the way is in perfect conditions.

For Bangalore to Goa, left Bangalore at 3:45am, stopped by Kamat at rennebenur for an hour and reached carvellosim in south goa at 3:10pm. Stopped by fuel bunk near tadas and enquired from locals about road conditions of Tadas route. Leisurely drive of 10h:30m.

For way back, took the same route, left south Goa at 12:50pm. Took couple of stops for an hour for lunch and one hour doe dinner and reached Bangalore by 2:10pm. Leisurely drive of 11hr:30m.

Would recommend this route for all of south goa
Old 4th October 2019, 18:54   #4570

I did Blr - Goa today. Left Whitefiled at 5:45am. Based on various quotes on the forum, I took the BLR - Hubli highway till Shiggan. I missed the deviation to Tadas after Shiggaon and got onto a deviation, much later, and got to Tadas.

Except for a lonely drive on the Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Haliyal - Castlerock - Anmod, otherwise things were fine till I reached Anmod by 2pm. At Anmod, I was stopped and refused passage onto the Anmod Mollem Ghats. I believe the Anmod ghats is closed for traffic since January. I was redirected to Kanapur - Chorla route. I reluctantly took the long deviation and finally reached by destination in Arossim Beach (south goa) at 5pm. The detour resulted in a 2 hours overall delay. Hence I caution people from attempting this route.
GOTJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 20:03   #4571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
I reluctantly took the long deviation and finally reached by destination in Arossim Beach (south goa) at 5pm. The detour resulted in a 2 hours overall delay. Hence I caution people from attempting this route.

I guess for south Goa, the best option is still Hubli-Ankola-Karwar. Thats clean and hassle free.
Old 4th October 2019, 21:53   #4572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivendra2111 View Post
Would recommend the Tadas-Kalaghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar route. Apart from the diversions post Chitradurga for 6 Laning, the rest of the way is in perfect conditions.
I believe this is the same route (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) I have shared earlier (almost two years back).
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 07:12   #4573
BHPian

Is that the road between Hubli and Kalghatgi is closed now? Planning for a drive in December. Any hope that this section would get open by then. Does anyone of you think road conditions will improve by end December? Your inputs will enable me to make a decision in either drive or fly. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th October 2019, 10:19   #4574

If you are coming from Bangalore, you need to take a left before Hubli.
Took the route yesterday. Road is medium quality and is 2 lanes. Would not advise night driving because of heavy flow of trucks and buses.
Old 6th October 2019, 10:16   #4575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Is that the road between Hubli and Kalghatgi is closed now? Planning for a drive in December. Any hope that this section would get open by then. Does anyone of you think road conditions will improve by end December? Your inputs will enable me to make a decision in either drive or fly. Thanks in advance.
No, this road is open and you can use it.

I used this route yesterday Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Kalghatgi-Hubli-Blr

There is work going on at Kalghatgi but nothing that cant be manged (I was driving a sedan).

The Hubli-Blr route is a nuisance though and takes time thanks to all the deviations. Speed-breakers before each deviation and bad condition of the road on the deviation slow you down considerably.

Add slow moving heavy vehicles all squeezed into a single line and this makes things considerably worse. This also makes it difficult for cars to spot the bad patches and evade them on these single lane stretches as we are behind the heavy vehicles and have limited visibility.

Ankola-Yellapur has some bad patches that you need to be careful about.

Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta road in not in good shape. I used this for my onward journey and was battling pot holes all along the route.
rakirank is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks