Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 22:26   #4681

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Based on the recent comments, planning Bangalore - Jog falls - Karwar. Stay at Karwar for night. Next day go to Panjim.

Can someone please suggest how is Jog falls to Karwar road to drive. Esp after sunset?
Old 14th November 2019, 19:38   #4682
BHPian

After having driven from Bangalore to Goa and Goa to Mumbai, I can vouch for the fact that Amboli route is 100% better than Chorla.

As soon as you leave Khanapur and reach the Wilderness resort, the ordeal of Chorla beings. Potholes and deep craters line the entire stretch uphill and downhill. Anyone going to Goa from Bangalore or Mumbai, please use the Amboli route.

Folks from Bangalore, please drive the extra mile and get to Amboli. Chorla is a big NO!
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 20:13   #4683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_rd View Post
Esp after sunset?
Please check post #4664 on this thread
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 20:40   #4684
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please suggest how is Jog falls to Karwar road to drive. Esp after sunset?
The NH road widening on this stretch is going on for years now and it's quite a task (and risky) to drive in darkness.

I would suggest you take the Bangalore-Tumkur-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog route, then stay overnight at Kumta (Jog-Honnavara-Kumta) and proceed to Goa via Ankola-Karwar next day.

Alternatively, you can reach Shimoga by taking Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga, then proceed to Jog and Goa by same route mentioned above.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 08:51   #4685
BHPian

Quote:
Based on the recent comments, planning Bangalore - Jog falls - Karwar. Stay at Karwar for night. Next day go to Panjim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The NH road widening on this stretch is going on for years now and it's quite a task (and risky) to drive in darkness.

I would suggest you take the Bangalore-Tumkur-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog route, then stay overnight at Kumta (Jog-Honnavara-Kumta) and proceed to Goa via Ankola-Karwar next day.
I second NPV's suggestion above. Avoid NH66 after sunset. You can chose to stay at Hotel Sagar Residency just before Honnavar town (on the Jog-Honnavar NH69). I have stayed there before. Decent place. Has a pure veg restaurant attached to it.
Else, if you can make it to Kumta (30 minutes from Honnavar), you can stay at Hotel Pandurang International. They too have a restaurant attached to it. Indian Oil fuel station right opposite to it.

Kumta-Karwar is about 1.5 hours drive.
Honnavar-Karwar is about 2 hours drive.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:19   #4686
BHPian

I am travelling from Bangalore to North Goa tomorrow, was planning to take the Anmod route, I hear it is closed again, is it worth trying to check if they allow or use Belgaum-Amboli route?
Old 15th November 2019, 17:45   #4687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
I am travelling from Bangalore to North Goa tomorrow, was planning to take the Anmod route, I hear it is closed again, is it worth trying to check if they allow or use Belgaum-Amboli route?
Yes Vijay... Compared to Chorla, Amboli is in far better condition to drive. You can even try Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar and cross the border to South Goa. Travel time will be little more on the latter but this route is good as well.
meetbadri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 17:24   #4688
BHPian

Hi,

Finally completed my log awaited road trip to Palolem

I travelled to Palolem (via Jog) on the 10th. Took the Bangalore -Nice Road -Tumkur-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Kumta-Gokarna-Ankola-Karwar-Palolem. Took the same route while returning on 15th

I stopped overnight at Jog/Shimoga. Total travel time was 12hrs each for both onward and return journey. The roads are in pretty decent shape and drivable but some portion after Tarikere is a little bad (but not too much). Lots of diversions between Karwar and Shimoga, so I will not advise night driving. Otherwise the route between Shimoga and Palolem is very scenic with lots of twists and turns and is an enthusiast's delight. Goa roads are excellent as expected.

I stopped for meal at Kamat Excecutive Inn at Honnavar which is pretty decent. Otherwise i noticed atleast 2 CCD on the way which can be used for bio breaks and coffee.

Last edited by adutta2k : 17th November 2019 at 17:27. Reason: grammar
adutta2k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 10:20   #4689

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Hi,

Finally completed my log awaited road trip to Palolem

I travelled to Palolem (via Jog) on the 10th. Took the Bangalore -Nice Road -Tumkur-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Kumta-Gokarna-Ankola-Karwar-Palolem. Took the same route while returning on 15th

I stopped overnight at Jog/Shimoga.
Could you please let me know any good place in Jog to stay with family. I heard about IB in Jog but don't know how to book it. Any recommendations?
Old 18th November 2019, 16:04   #4690
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please let me know any good place in Jog to stay with family. I heard about IB in Jog but don't know how to book it. Any recommendations?
Hotels are very less in Jog, You will find many homestay's which are pretty decent. You can try http://www.matthuga.in/ which is about 10 Kms from Jog.

In case you need a room near Jog falls the only option you are left with is Hotel Mayura Jogfalls.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 16:34   #4691
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sharavathi adventure camp (Jungle Lodges) could be another option, though I'm not sure if tariffs are very high like their other properties.
I think there may be some inexpensive basic options in Sagar if you don't mind the distance and facilities.

Last edited by NPV : 18th November 2019 at 16:36.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 17:17   #4692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think there may be some inexpensive basic options in Sagar if you don't mind the distance and facilities.
There are multiple options available in Sagar, like Hotel Anmol International or Hotel Varadashree or Green Embassy Hotel.

I have never stayed in any of these hotels but I have heard good feedback from my relatives who are staying in Sagar.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:44   #4693

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Hi Vijay,

Hope you had a very good trip. Could you please update us the route you've taken from Bangalore to Goa and vice versa. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 25th November 2019, 17:59   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingtham DS View Post
Hi Vijay,

Hope you had a very good trip. Could you please update us the route you've taken from Bangalore to Goa and vice versa. Thanks a lot in advance.
Hello Chingtham , I took the suggested Amboli route, though it was slightly longer but road surface was relatively better.
First 10-15 kms after Belgaum I experienced pot holes and local crowd which slowed us down, but otherwise this was a good option.
While return my destination was Mumbai, I traveled back from Amboli route to Nipani which had better road quality than Belgaum
vijaymishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 21:16   #4695
BHPian

Belgaum alert

Belgaum city is seeing lot of road construction activity presently owing to converting the tar roads into concrete ones. This means diversions and traffic snarls during daytime. City is best crossed during early mornings and nights.

Avoid Belgaum city if you are getting to Chorla ghat enroute Goa. Look out for alternatives like MK Hubli--Khanapur or Kittur--Khanapur--Jamboti--Chorla routes although the conditions of these internal roads may not be good.
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks