Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 17:09   #211
BHPian

re: Pune to Hyderabad : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Is there a difference between traffic on Saturdays vs Sundays? Also, are we talking about like a dozen diversions en-route or more like 50-60? just trying to get a general idea ...
Traffic is definitely higher on Sundays than on other days. Most work is being done on the stretch between Indapur and Pune. Some amount between Indapur and Tembhurni. Didn't see much work being done between Tembhurni and Solapur except a few kilometers as you approach Solapur.
Just to make it clear, when we are talking diversions, it just means you're switching to side of the road that's been done. They're not detours.
Some portions have diversions every kilometer, sharing the lane with oncoming traffic. Some stretches have no diversions and you're driving for a few kilometres on a divided highway, between Bhigwan and Indapur. And in some stretches between Solapur and Indapur you're driving on the old highway, narrow without shoulders. I would venture to say there are 30 diversions. But its difficult to really explain how they affect your driving. It doesn't affect me as all I'm doing is slowing down and switching lanes.
midlifecrisis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 17:15   #212
BHPian

Thanks, midlifecrisis ! The explanation of diversion helps - I was imagining it to be off-roading and re-converging on tar road. That doesnt seem to be the case. Hopefully, then, it doesnt impact driving too much other than being aware.

Also, I have heard horror stories about trucks getting lined up for hours on this stretch due to slow moving traffic or an accident or something. Given your frequent travel, how often have you encountered significant delays due to a stoppage ! and thanks again.

Btw, I am veering towards either NH9 or the Pandhapur route (ranjit's recommendation)
Old 17th September 2012, 18:28   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, midlifecrisis ! The explanation of diversion helps - I was imagining it to be off-roading and re-converging on tar road. That doesnt seem to be the case. Hopefully, then, it doesnt impact driving too much other than being aware.

Also, I have heard horror stories about trucks getting lined up for hours on this stretch due to slow moving traffic or an accident or something. Given your frequent travel, how often have you encountered significant delays due to a stoppage ! and thanks again.

Btw, I am veering towards either NH9 or the Pandhapur route (ranjit's recommendation)
You're welcome!
I went to Pune on Thursday night and there was a minor accident on the KA stretch. I was able to squeeze my car past the arguing drivers, so got past with a mere 10 minute delay. Trucks who were stuck there could not squeeze past. You will be able to squeeze that car past on the shoulder between Hyd - Solapur.
There are two railway crossings as far as I remember, one at Zaheerabad and another either at Shetphal or Tembhurni in Maharashtra( don't remember exactly which town, though I stopped there just yesterday as the gate was down).
I haven't encountered any long delays other than to stop as railway crossings.
Also make sure you've upped your headlights to 90/100s. The Volvos don't bother me since I've done that.
OT: Once, an Omer Travels Volvo actually pulled over to the side at one of the diversions to let me pass!
Old 30th September 2012, 12:05   #214
BHPian

Hi - Did Hyd (HiTech City) to Mumbai (Vashi/Airoli) yesterday in 11.5 hours total time.

Started at 4 am, as per ranjitp1's recommendations for early start.

HiTech City - Patancheru (via ORR) : ODO 30 kms - 4:20 AM - toll of Rs 20

Patancheru - Solapur Bypass : ODO 295 kms - 7:50 AM - no breaks - some bad stretches for about 20-25 kms near Humnabad - was driving at 80-110 kmph - v. sparse traffic (was pleasantly surprised to do these 295 kms in less than 4 hours !!!)

Solapur Bypass to Indapur : ODO 415 kms - 10:00 AM - break of 10 mins for packed breakfast - lots of diversions from one lane to another and truck traffic but good road surface - overall less than 60 kmph

Indapur - Baramati : ODO 465 kms - 11:00 AM - good surface but a few villages to go through reducing overall speeds

Baramati - Morgaon - Jejuri - Sasvad : ODO 515 kms or so - 12:00 noon - excellent roads, greenery around and hardly and traffic - was doing 90 kmph on most of the stretch

Sasvad - Narayanpur - Kapurhol : ODO 560 kms or so - 12:45 pm - break of 15 mins to take snaps etc - lovely greenery and hills all around - ghat road between Narayanpur and Kapurhol (thanks to those who recommended the route - this is a lovely hidden gem of a drive for its views)

Kapurhol - Katraj tunnel - Start of MPEW expressway : Lost track of ODO - took a 20 min lunch break at Joshi Vadewale on the bypass (excellent vadapav and other stuff) - reached MPEW start at 1:55 pm - good roads but lot of traffic

Start of MPEW to Vashi/ Airoli : ODO : Ended with 730 kms on ODO - reached 3:30 pm - Stopped for a diesel topup enroute for 10 mins - sparse traffic from Panvel to Vashi

In summary, a nice route but Solapur - Indapur is a little frustrating due to truck traffic.

Overall : 730 kms , 11.5 hours total time with about 1 hour break ... so, 10.5 hours run-time.

My ride : My 'RoadCruiser' Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - handled undulating and broken surfaces with poise - returned FE of 20+ (with AC on for most time) ... was a pleasure to behind the wheel !

Last edited by RoadTiger : 30th September 2012 at 12:09.
Old 30th September 2012, 19:01   #215
BHPian

Thanks Roadtiger. Excellent feedback for anyone wishing to travel on this route.
Quote:
Solapur Bypass to Indapur : ODO 415 kms - 10:00 AM - break of 10 mins for packed breakfast - lots of diversions from one lane to another and truck traffic but good road surface - overall less than 60 kmph

In summary, a nice route but Solapur - Indapur is a little frustrating due to truck traffic.
Any suggestions for diversions or alternate route for this section / stretch?
Old 1st October 2012, 12:01   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Thanks Roadtiger. Excellent feedback for anyone wishing to travel on this route.

Any suggestions for diversions or alternate route for this section / stretch?
My favourite route now a days is

Hyd-Solapur: 4.5-5hrs ( 300kms)

Solapur-Mohol: 45mins (30kms)

Mohol-Satara:2.5hr(200kms)

Satara-Katraj:1.5hrs(100kms)

Katraj New Tunnel-MPEW Start(Dehu rd):45mins(35kms)

MPEW(Dehu Rd)-Panvel:1.5hr-2hrs (100kms)

This way I get to avoid the 4 laning mess between Mohol and Pune,completely and plus I get to drive on the 4 laned NH4 and bypass Pune without getting into the city roads.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=pd&t=m&z=7
Old 1st October 2012, 13:07   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My favourite route now a days is ...
I would agree with ranjitp1 that the route mentioned seems to be the best in terms of sparse traffic and decent to good roads - Would make for a better driving experience overall than the Baramati route. However, I doubt if it would make much of a difference in terms of time.

I have done Mohol - Pandharpur - Satara route earlier and the only things to be careful about on this route are :
- Most parts are desolate with v.little traffic and human population
- Pandharpur and Gondawale are temple towns - you need to be aware of festivals when these places are immensely crowded.

I was doing the drive alone and it was on Ganesh Visarjan day - and that swung my decision to do the Baramati route.

However, the truck traffic between Solapur and Indapur is a royal pain ... Getting stuck behind a long line of trucks etc. Looked like a lot of India's truck traffic had converged on this route !

Plan to take the Satara route on return.

Last edited by RoadTiger : 1st October 2012 at 13:10.
Old 1st October 2012, 13:31   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, the truck traffic between Solapur and Indapur is a royal pain ... Getting stuck behind a long line of trucks etc. Looked like a lot of India's truck traffic had converged on this route !
Thats because all the trucks going from south of India towards the north and Agra take this route as no toll as opposed to the GQ route.So trucks coming from Bangalore,Hyd etc join up at Solapur and then divert off NH9 at Temburni towards Karmala-Nagar and then onto NH3 from Dhule.That is why one always gets to see a huge traffic pileup at Temburni with trucks waiting to take a right at the junction.
Old 1st October 2012, 19:15   #219
BHPian

Quote:
My favourite route now a days is

Hyd-Solapur: 4.5-5hrs ( 300kms)

Solapur-Mohol: 45mins (30kms)

Mohol-Satara:2.5hr(200kms)

Satara-Katraj:1.5hrs(100kms)

Katraj New Tunnel-MPEW Start(Dehu rd):45mins(35kms)

MPEW(Dehu Rd)-Panvel:1.5hr-2hrs (100kms)

This way I get to avoid the 4 laning mess between Mohol and Pune,completely and plus I get to drive on the 4 laned NH4 and bypass Pune without getting into the city roads.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=pd&t=m&z=7
Ranjit,
What route do you take for Mohol - Satara?
Old 1st October 2012, 19:53   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis

Ranjit,
What route do you take for Mohol - Satara?
The toll road till pandharpur and then the SH via Mhaswad till Satara
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 18:26   #221
Senior - BHPian

Finally some good news

Did a HYD-MUMBAI trip yesterday and finally some good news about this route.4 laning complete all the way from Indapur till Hadapsar.Indapur bypass is also open for traffic now.Bhigwan flyovers not ready yet.

Drive Timing:

HYD-Solapur: 4hours

Solapur-Hadapsar:4hours

Hadapsar-Dehu Rd:1.5hrs

Dehu Rd-Panvel:1.5hrs

Panvel-Vashi Creek-EEW-Powai-Vikhroli-Jogeshwari-Borivali:1.5hrs

Road Conditions:

Patancheru-Sangareddy: Fair,rough tarmac has begun to show up,speeds of 80kph-100kph possible

Sangareddy-Zaheerabad:Rough and chipped off tarmac at places

Zaheerabad-Homnabad:Around 30kms before Homnabad,road is terribly potholed,there just no road,its just one pothole to another.

Homnabad-Basavakalyan:Potholes continue,but frequency reduces

Basavakalyan-Naldurg-Solapur:Fair,80-100kph

Solapur-Mohol:Road quality is excellent,only one side of the new road open,but speeds of 80kph

Mohol-Temburni:Again road quality excellent,but speed of 80-100 can be maintained.Since the new road is wide,overtaking trucks is not a problem anymore

Crossing Temburni is still a problem.

Indapur-Hadapsar:Fast road,4 laning completed constant speeds of 100kph can be easily maintained.

Plenty of restaurants and that too clean ones opened on the 4laned Indapur and also before Temburni.

Overall the HYD-Solapur took 4 hours and Solapur-Pune took 4hours.Finally a below 10hour drive is easily possible from HYD to Pune.Stopped for refuelling after Mohol,and 20minute breakfast at Temburni and a couple of bio break stops.In my opinion,people can stop taking the alternative routes via Baramati and Pandharpur now and stick to the NH9 from now on.
ranjitp1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 15:35   #222

Re: Finally some good news

Thanks, this is wonderful news!

Regards
Amit

Quote:
Did a HYD-MUMBAI trip yesterday and finally some good news about this route.4 laning complete all the way from Indapur till Hadapsar.Indapur bypass is also open for traffic now.Bhigwan flyovers not ready yet.

Drive Timing:

HYD-Solapur: 4hours

Solapur-Hadapsar:4hours

Hadapsar-Dehu Rd:1.5hrs

Dehu Rd-Panvel:1.5hrs

Panvel-Vashi Creek-EEW-Powai-Vikhroli-Jogeshwari-Borivali:1.5hrs

Road Conditions:

Patancheru-Sangareddy: Fair,rough tarmac has begun to show up,speeds of 80kph-100kph possible

Sangareddy-Zaheerabad:Rough and chipped off tarmac at places

Zaheerabad-Homnabad:Around 30kms before Homnabad,road is terribly potholed,there just no road,its just one pothole to another.

Homnabad-Basavakalyan:Potholes continue,but frequency reduces

Basavakalyan-Naldurg-Solapur:Fair,80-100kph

Solapur-Mohol:Road quality is excellent,only one side of the new road open,but speeds of 80kph

Mohol-Temburni:Again road quality excellent,but speed of 80-100 can be maintained.Since the new road is wide,overtaking trucks is not a problem anymore

Crossing Temburni is still a problem.

Indapur-Hadapsar:Fast road,4 laning completed constant speeds of 100kph can be easily maintained.

Plenty of restaurants and that too clean ones opened on the 4laned Indapur and also before Temburni.

Overall the HYD-Solapur took 4 hours and Solapur-Pune took 4hours.Finally a below 10hour drive is easily possible from HYD to Pune.Stopped for refuelling after Mohol,and 20minute breakfast at Temburni and a couple of bio break stops.In my opinion,people can stop taking the alternative routes via Baramati and Pandharpur now and stick to the NH9 from now on.
Old 20th October 2012, 21:54   #223
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Ranjit for sharing the good news.

In my previous trip to HYD, as per you and Ashish's suggestion I took Shatabdi express (not describing the experience here in one of the so called best train in our country ).

Now, that you say the distance can be traveled within ~10hrs (by car, Pune- HYD), I am eager to drive down to HYD.

A query - apologies if it has been discussed already, I have missed it.

Can you please suggest the best possible route to get into Begumpet around ~5pm while travelling from Pune.
Old 20th October 2012, 22:17   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Can you please suggest the best possible route to get into Begumpet around ~5pm while travelling from Pune.
Yes you should now be able to do the distance in 8-10hrs.

To get to Begumpet,the best way is as below, on NH9 take a right at Miyapur Crossroads-Kothaguda Cross Road (after crossing Swagath Royal to your right)-Left at Cross Road towards Cyber Towers-Keep on the road all the way till Begumpet.If you take the Kukatpally-Ameerpet road to Begumpet,you would take for eternity to reach Begumpet.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=16&t=m&z=16
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 22:35   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you should now be able to do the distance in 8-10hrs.

To get to Begumpet,the best way is as below, on NH9 take a right at Miyapur Crossroads-Kothaguda Cross Road (after crossing Swagath Royal to your right)-Left at Cross Road towards Cyber Towers-Keep on the road all the way till Begumpet.If you take the Kukatpally-Ameerpet road to Begumpet,you would take for eternity to reach Begumpet.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=16&t=m&z=16
Thanks Ranjit for the quick response and further details.
Familiar with route from Apollo clinic-hitech-Begumpet. Shall let you know for further queries, if any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks