Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 14:35   #451
BHPian

Re: Monsoons - Road Condition Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
We took the NH48 a couple of months back and found it to be fast and in very good condition and plenty of options for eating as well on this route.Hassan-Belur is like a runway!flat and straight and in excellent conditon.CCDs,Kamats and other eateries present on the route.Target for a 5hour drive from Nelamangala to Chikmagalur.
@ranjitp1: Thanks for your inputs on the route. Eateries does matter especially with kids on the move . Sure will plan and do NH48.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This route is almost a dream drive. If you are returning this route, there is one place 10 kms to Kunigal where 2-lane narrows down to a single lane. Its extremely bumpy around there (its nothing to do with monsoons).

Belur-Chikmagalur has some odd potholes, but nothing serious.
~~~~~
Monsoon road update time

1. NH17 - One word "Terrible"!! The condition is posted here, just extrapolate it from Murudeshwara to Gokarna. The 70 odd km stretch took me 2:15 hrs to cover. Ankola-Gokarna and Murudeshwara-Maravanthe were marginally better.

2. NH63 - Great condition !! few potholes, 3-4 unmarked speed breakers but spottable. Dream drive from Hubli to Ankola.

3. Agumbe ghat - Near lunar surfaces, but given the beauty of the place one shouldnt complain too much. Funny part is that, it rained every place right from the time we crossed Bangalore except at Agumbe and the ghat climb (so much for the built up I gave my wife that it was the Cherrapunji of the south).

4. Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur - Great condition roads to drive the monsoon.

5. Balehonnur-Aldur - Bad!

6. Aldur-Chikmagalur - Terrible, though roads become good about 8-10 km to Chikmagalur.

7. Kollur-Shankaranarayana-Someshwara-Agumbe foothill - Decent, roads are infact great for a few km either side of Someshwara. Roads are bad in patches, but nevertheless the vistas make up for it.

8. Pallikonda-Ranipet - This shouldn't techinically figure here. But the experiences with yesterday evening's rain made me post this. There are patches in this stretch where the rain water just stagnates on either of the road. The stagnation is especially bad near Vellore. I could feel my car aquaplaning at places, had a "heart in mouth" situation passing a Getz. When it rains here, it pours !! Visibility gets affected terribly. Might be a stretch to watch during NE monsoon.
Thank you sir!! for the detailed information. This will be really helpful for us to follow the road conditions on NH48 route from now on untill we start our trip in 1st week of sep'11.

KTP
Old 8th August 2011, 22:02   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This route is almost a dream drive. If you are returning this route, there is one place 10 kms to Kunigal where 2-lane narrows down to a single lane. Its extremely bumpy around there (its nothing to do with monsoons).

Yes. It is near Yediyur. This is due to widening of the road. But can be managed easily. No worries as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
@ranjitp1: Thanks for your inputs on the route. Eateries does matter especially with kids on the move . Sure will plan and do NH48.

Thank you sir!! for the detailed information. This will be really helpful for us to follow the road conditions on NH48 route from now on untill we start our trip in 1st week of sep'11.

KTP
Kiran,

Shark Dhabha after Solur makes great dosas and Tatte idlis. It is better than Kamats. We had them on saturday last - third time in last two months. Look for the board on the left side after you cross Solur .

Take NH 48 to Chikkamagalur. The road is in excellent condition. In Hassan city, you will encounter bad patch but manageable. Hassan - Belur is excellent - thanks to UNESCO - and after Belur, the road is good but for small patches.

The road from Bangalore till Kadur on NH 206 is good but beyod it is broken and is a single lane. If it is low GC car, i would not recommend.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:43   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Yes. It is near Yediyur. This is due to widening of the road. But can be managed easily. No worries as such.

Kiran,

Shark Dhabha after Solur makes great dosas and Tatte idlis. It is better than Kamats. We had them on saturday last - third time in last two months. Look for the board on the left side after you cross Solur .

Take NH 48 to Chikkamagalur. The road is in excellent condition. In Hassan city, you will encounter bad patch but manageable. Hassan - Belur is excellent - thanks to UNESCO - and after Belur, the road is good but for small patches.

The road from Bangalore till Kadur on NH 206 is good but beyod it is broken and is a single lane. If it is low GC car, i would not recommend.
@Fauji: Thanks for the tips on eateries and updates on road contitions. I have decided to do NH48 route. Can you please tell me if we start from BLR early morning at 5AM, would we be able to hit Shark Dhaba for breakfast say around 8AM? How far is it from BLR?

KTP
Old 10th August 2011, 12:48   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
@Fauji: Thanks for the tips on eateries and updates on road contitions. I have decided to do NH48 route. Can you please tell me if we start from BLR early morning at 5AM, would we be able to hit Shark Dhaba for breakfast say around 8AM? How far is it from BLR?

KTP
Hi Kiran,

If you leave at 5AM, you can reach Shark dhabha by 6.30 or Maximum by 7 AM. It should be open by that time. We had doasa there at 7.30 AM when we did Chikkamagalur drive. It is after Solur and midway between Nelamangala and Kunigal.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 10:46   #455
BHPian

Hi Guys

I am driving to srinagar on 14Aug night. can somebody update on latest road conditions.

thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 11:07   #456
BHPian

Folks, anyone here know of current road conditions on NH221, between Bhadrachalam and Jagdalpur? Last I know this road was in pathetic shape, posting here in the hope things are better.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:06   #457
BHPian

Hi

Will be doing a weekend trip to sringer - dharmsthala & kukke from bangalore.

Just wanted to know if we can do bangalore - sringeri via chikmaglur - adlur- - balehonnur during night driving.
if not we will go to kukke - dharmasthala - sringer. Either ways, how is the road condition between these locations..
Appreciateyour response.
Old 12th August 2011, 16:21   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
Hi

Will be doing a weekend trip to sringer - dharmsthala & kukke from bangalore.

Just wanted to know if we can do bangalore - sringeri via chikmaglur - adlur- - balehonnur during night driving.
if not we will go to kukke - dharmasthala - sringer. Either ways, how is the road condition between these locations..
Appreciateyour response.
You can defintely. I read on the forum that the road between Chikkkmagalur and Aldur is very good but doabale and then go forward to Dharmasthala and Kukke.

You can reverse the direction if you are doing Kukke first and take NH 48 via Shiradi to Kukke and then Dharmasthala and to Sringeri. Which ever way you do, do Sringeri - Dharmasthala strectch during day and it is an awesome sight and very beautiful.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 10:23   #459
BHPian

Hi Fauji,

Thanks for your response. we are back from the trip.
At first, we did to kukke. Road condition was good and at shiradi ghats were manageable. Then we proceeded to dharmasthala from there to Hornadu. As you said, roads in charmadi ghat was pretty good, i say far better than shiradi although roads are narrow. From Hornadu to sringeri, roads were horrible for first 15-20kms and from then on pretty smooth. Again from sringeri to chikkmagalur is doable with frequent patches of bad roads. From then onwards its a breeze all the way till bangalore.
Overall, it was a pretty satisfying trip although at one point near hornadu i felt as if my conty cannot take the roads, but somehow i made it through.
Thanks once again.
Old 16th August 2011, 19:29   #460
BHPian

Hi All,
I needed to know the road and traffic conditions to Mysore from Bangalore, leaving tomorrow morning.
Thanks.
Old 17th August 2011, 20:18   #461
BHPian

Hello,
Can somebody please provide an update on the latest road conditions between Mumbai-Indore? I plan to leave this weekend.

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:20   #462
BHPian

Friends - Please avoid the Belgaum-Khanapur-Anmod stretch (NH4A) at all costs! Very bad stretch at the moment! Extremely bad sections of road between Khanapur and Anmod. Definitely not the route to take to Goa.
thebluez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 11:43   #463
BHPian

Just back from Kanyakumari and Kodai-NH 7 just great right upto Kanyakumari-the drive was a breeze. From Kanyakumari to Kodai followed the NH7 till Pallapatti onto Nilakuttai and then took the SH to Batlagunda-good road not yet effected by the monsoon. Road from Batlagunda till Kodai good for the most part but at one or two spots the road was being repaired. Roads in Kodai?????
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:28   #464
BHPian

Hi,

I had taken the following route in the last week of July

Bangalore - Tumkur - shimoga - Jog Falls - Honavar - Kumta - Gokarna - Karwar - Goa

The Highways involved were

bangalore - Tumkur NH 4
tumkur - Honavar NH 206
Honavar - Goa NH17

NH 206 and NH 17 are 2 laned roads and would not qualify for a typical highway. the traffic was moderate and the road condition varied from average to good. however, due to 2 laned roads the average speed was 50-60 kmph. Road from Jog falls to Honavar is potholed in spots due to heavy rains.

Overall, the roads are motorable and you may get to see some of the most beautiful sights along this route
Old 5th September 2011, 09:22   #465
Senior - BHPian

Kashedi ghat between poladpur and khed on NH17 closed due to landslide.
Traffic is diverted via mandangad-mhapral.
The road will be cleared within two days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks