Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 09:47   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
For the Bangalore to Shimoga part, I was thinking of trying the Hiriyur - Tarikere road. Since google is suggesting this road maybe they have improved it?
Benne! was how a colleague replied when I asked him about the road conditions from Hosadurga to Tarikere via Ajjampura. Another acquaintance who frequently travels to Hiriyur via Hosadurga confirmed that barring a few odd stretches, the roads are good. So, the route shown by GMaps is indeed a worthy option now.

PS:

1. Benne = Butter (smooth)
2. A slight detour will take you to Vanivilas Sagara Dam. Do pay a visit if you can find some time.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 11:10   #362
BHPian

I traveled on Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga route on 22nd Feb. The Chitradurga-Shimoga route is good except last 20 km or so. The dual carriage road has been widened (I traveled last on this route in 2013) and there is not much traffic on this route. But I did notice that there are lots of lorries plying now compared to 2013 when there was hardly any traffic. The reason I took this route is that the route via Arsikere-Tarikere is a dual carriage with heavy traffic and I hate driving in such scenario.
I went on to Udupi via Narashimarajpura-Agumbe. I know it's a long route but I wanted to see the beauty of Malnad region. I was disappointed as It was all dry & hot with the expansion of roads from Shimoga to Agumbe adding to the misery.
Some pictures from the trip.

Moon in broad daylight (Agumbe)
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-20180224_143645.jpg
Kodi Beach, Udupi
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-20180224_074124-1.jpg

Last edited by amit1agrawal : 5th March 2018 at 11:40. Reason: Removed 2 pictures as they were blown up 100%.
amit1agrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:27   #363
BHPian

Hello People - Surprise! Surprise!

Deteriorated road between CR Patna and Arsikere is getting fixed. Govt is working and started caring .

1. All pits are filled
2. Good distance has been relaid with good quality tar and paint
3. The other part is getting done

This route is back to its old charm as Birur to Shimoga was redone recently.

People can also check Hotel Vinayaka at Kadur, another option along with Suruchi.

Last edited by aithalsandy : 22nd March 2018 at 12:29.
aithalsandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 20:25   #364
BHPian

Here is the update on Shimoga-Thirthahalli section:

1. Road upgrade is complete between Mandagadde to Thirthahalli
2. 5km section has mud road
3. Mandagadde to Shimoga yet to be broken for upgrade. Roads are slightly narrow here but the surface is good

It's a pleasure to drive this section even when the road upgrade is in progress as the contractor is kind enough to water the mud road constantly and sufficient signs to caution the traffic.

Traffic is well behaved , I still don't know why. I am super excited everytime I drive this section all the way till Agumbe.

But newbies should avoid driving at dark.
aithalsandy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 17:31   #365
BHPian

Here is the pic taken somewhere between CR Patna and Gandasi where the road upgrade is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-img_20180325_090719.jpg  

aithalsandy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 20:19   #366
BHPian

I have a function to attend this Sunday in Shimoga and I am looking for some suggestions about the road conditions and best option considering I am driving this stretch for the first time.

* For my onward journey I am driving down from Puttur and what would be best option to take from Agumbe. Google suggests to stick to Agumbe-Ayunur-Shimoga. But I see that Agumbe-Mandagadde-Shimoga is the defacto route taken by bus. So what is the best option here.

* For my return journey, plan is to leave by 1.30 to Bangalore. I see that google suggests 2 options
- Shimoga-Tarikere-Ajjampura-Hiriyur-Bangalore.
- Shimoga-Tiptur-Turuvekere-Kunigal-Bangalore.

As per some of the posts above and considering weekend traffic, I am thinking to stick to Ajjampura-Hiriyur-Bangalore but suggestions and inputs are welcome. Also do let me know if there is anything I need to look out for.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 19th April 2018 at 20:24. Reason: Typo
Old 19th April 2018, 20:33   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
For my onward journey I am driving down from Puttur and what would be best option to take from Agumbe. Google suggests to stick to Agumbe-Ayunur-Shimoga. But I see that Agumbe-Mandagadde-Shimoga is the defacto route taken by bus. So what is the best option here.
One option is via Charmadi and the other via Agumbe or Sringeri

Belthangady-Bajagoli-Sringeri-Koppa-NR Pura - Umblibail-Shimoga
Belthangady-Bajagoli-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga
Belthangady-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Balehonnur-NR Pura - Umblibail-Shimoga

Given work is happening on Shimoga-Thirthahalli, it would be good to check the status. Else Anything between second and third. Both are equally winding roads. But I expect lesser traffic if you take Charamadi and take the exit to Balehonnur.

Quote:
- Shimoga-Tarikere-Ajjampura-Hiriyur-Bangalore.
- Shimoga-Tiptur-Turuvekere-Kunigal-Bangalore.
Ajjampura-Hiriyur used to be a single lane with it being wide around Hosadurga. It was being widened. I dont know the state today.

Better to either stick to Arsikere-CR Patna-Nelamangal or Shimoga-Chitradurga option.

Traffic : Yes it would be heavy though
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 21:08   #368
BHPian

@DragonHawk,

Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga is getting upgraded. Traffic is decent but relatively well mannered.

Sringeri-Koppa-NR Pura-Shimoga has some bad patches, but the traffic is low.

Agumbe-Aynur-Shimoga doesn't make sense, it's long without any substantial gain. Aynur route is also good and default route if you are coming from Hosanagar or Sagar to Shimoga.

Shimoga-Chitradurga or Shimoga-Arsikere-CR patna are the popular choices so far. However, people have tried Ajjampura and Turuvekere option also.

Pls refer earlier posts to measure and decide.

Last edited by aithalsandy : 19th April 2018 at 21:15.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:57   #369
BHPian

Thanks @Ampere and @Aithalsandy for your inputs !

Here is the update from my yesterday`s trip.

I took the usual route via Thirthahalli-Mandagadde to Shimoga and it turned out to be a breezy drive. Left my Puttur home @5.30 am and reached Shimoga by 11 with 20mins breakfast break at Agumbe and 10mins stops at multiple check posts. Barring 1-2 kms stretch between Thirthahalli-Shimoga, roads are superb. With monsoon about to start in a month or so, this stretch may turn to be a muddy especially the ones near bridge construction.

For return journey I initially thought of sticking to Arasikere- CR Patna route but the traffic till Tarikere was too high which made me think of trying Hosadurga-Hiriyur and it turned out to be a good decision. Road till Hosadurga is excellent as someone mentioned it is like "Benne". Post Hosadurga barring few broken stretch, road was decent enough and traffic was very less. Overall it took 2hrs to cover 102 kms from Tarikere till Hiriyur. Post that was usual sunday traffic all the way till Bangalore, took almost 6hrs and FastTag worked flawlessly in all the tolls except Nelamangala where one of truck was stuck and was forced to take the normal lane.

Election check post and barricades has been a real nightmare through out my entire journey till Hiriyur. On multiple occasions I was asked to open all the bags and was made to enter the details of the car and not to forget all these were being videographed too. Except for this overall journey has been pretty uneventful and thanks to good roads with good traffic manners.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:33   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Need to go to Udupi this weekend and hence planning a 3 am start so that I can be @ Shimoga for breakfast. Thinking of taking CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga for both onward and return or Should I stick to Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Shimoga? Trying to avoid Hiriyur as 3 am start might mean a lot of truck traffic till I cross Tumkur.

Open to take Lakavalli - Mandagadde - Tirthahalli if there are good breakfast options @ Tirthahalli.
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:45   #371
BHPian

@DragonHawk - You will find traffic for 100km between Shimoga-Arsikere, post that it's a peaceful drive via CR Patna. The advantage is you avoid Tumkur road traffic and get multiple food options at Birur, Kadur, Arsikere and all those on MLR-BLR road.
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:08   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Need to go to Udupi this weekend and hence planning a 3 am start so that I can be @ Shimoga for breakfast. Thinking of taking CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga for both onward and return or Should I stick to Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Shimoga? Trying to avoid Hiriyur as 3 am start might mean a lot of truck traffic till I cross Tumkur.
CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga option should be good considering your plans for an early start. The traffic would be very less early in the day between CR Patna & Shimoga.

Quote:
Open to take Lakavalli - Mandagadde - Tirthahalli if there are good breakfast options @ Tirthahalli.
You can also consider the option of CR Patna - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Udupi

This route is quite good too! I did this stretch till Sringeri two weeks back. The breakfast options might be limited on this route though!

You may have to consider the tea estate canteens around Balehonnur (Belase stop, Bhadra stop etc.) or the small hotels in Agumbe if you are doing this route.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:40   #373
BHPian

@procrj

Morning drive should be fine via Shimoga. You can still have Vinayaka and Suruchi at Kadur.

You will have multiple BF options at Shimoga - you can try Meenakshi Bhavan on the main road inside the city (don't take Bypass).

I recommend Mayura at Thirthahalli after Koppa circle (not the one near the main bus stand) while driving from Shimoga on your RHS.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 13:58   #374
BHPian

Hello People,

The road upgrade between CR Patna to Arsikere is complete - smooth all the way. However, traffic is still a pain between Shimoga and Arsikere.
aithalsandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 18:10   #375
BHPian

Hello All, I am hoping to ride my bike to Shimoga from Bangalore this weekend 4-5th may. Is it worth riding out in this heat or wait for the monsoons? Can someone please advise the most scenic route to take to Shimoga ? I don't mind if it's longer as long as the roads are smooth enough for my precarious back. Thanks in advance!
4Runner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks