Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 12:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi To Jaisalmer : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I have changed my plans. I will go from Gurgaon to Rewari then to Narnaul. I will be leaving in the evening around 4-5 pm from Gurgaon. The reason for this is that Narnaul route is 15 kms shorter which is a big no. in my opinion. Also the village traffic during these hours will be minimal.

Since you are leaving at 9 from Delhi, I think you should expect local village traffic in decent amount.
Mahendragarh-Loharu is not in good shape. Sticking to Rewari-Narnaul would be better.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 22:14   #167
BHPian

I made the trip from Gurgaon-NH8-Rewari-Narnaul-Chirawa-Jhunjhunu-Fatehpur-Bikaner-Phalodi-Pokran-Jaisalmer-Sam-Jaisalmer-Pokran-Jodhpur-Bar-Jaipur-Gurgaon.

Delhi to Bikaner was made from evening 5 pm so exact traffic conditions may be different in day time.

Gurgaon to NH8 is good enough. NH8 to Rewari is okayish. Its a two lane road till Narnaul. Narnaul to Chirawa is similar but little bit down in quality in comparison to Rewari to Narnaul. Chirawa to Jhunjhunu is similar. 2 lane road with less traffic. Problem starts when going from Jhunjhunu to Fatehpur. Road is in very deteriorated condition. A stretch came when only a single lane was there to drive. If any vehicle comes then you better get down from road. Luckily due to night there was no traffic on this single lane road. After Fatehpur you are in for a big surprise. Awesomest road. Butter smooth with proper markers and all. You can floor your car here fully even in Night. But I advise against it since stray animals might come. But this whole stretch till Bikaner is very very awesome. Expect to maintain above 100 as average.

Bikaner to Phalodi is good enough with few small diversions here and there. From Phalodi to Jaisalmer you can maintain averages around 90-100 easy. Again a very good straight stretch.

Jaisalmer to Sam dunes - Can avg 100 again. Its just 40 km.

Jaisalmer to Pokran is again very good. Pokran to Jodhpur is okayish with lots of animals coming on road. Its curvy too. But decent pace can be maintained.

Jodhpur to Bar is 2/3 lane curvy road. Stray animals will be there.

Bar to Jaipur - 4/6 lane road. Very good condition.

Jaipur to Gurgaon - 4/6 lane road and depends on traffic.

Riddhi siddhi ka dhaba near Bagar is highly recommended from my side. Opens till 10.30 pm.

Red Rock cafe before Phalodi is an absolute NO. Crappy food with high prices.
Metallicar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 21:54   #168
BHPian

Hey guys, I am planning a trip to jaisalmer with my wife on 18-22 august

The two route options as per google maps are:

1. Delhi - rewari - narnaul - jhunjhunu - nagaur -jaiselmer.
2. Delhi - jaipur - nagaur - jaiselmer

Also, i would like to break my journey into 2 parts. So which places on these routes (preferably mid way) would have nice and safe hotels for night stay?
Old 21st August 2016, 14:36   #169
Senior - BHPian

I returned on 18th from a Noida - Jaisalmer round trip. Road conditions described in some reviews here were extremely different from ground reality (maybe it had something to do with the monsoon too).

Onward route:

Noida - Gurgaon - Revari - Narnaul - Jhunjunu - Chirawa - Fatehpur - Ratangarh - Bikaner (overnight halt)

Left noida 5:30am on Sat 13th Aug expecting smooth traffic early in the morning. Was going fine till we reached Manesar where there were many traffic jams till we crossed Daruhera. Expecting a lot more of the weekend rush towards Jaipur, an impromptu decision was made to go via Rewari - Narnaul route. HUGE mistake. We entered this section of the journey around 8:30 - 9:00 in the morning & suffered it till about 4:30pm when we reached Fatehpur. The most horrendous stretch was Jhunjunu - Fatehpur via Mandawa. The road completely disappeared in most of this stretch. My car (City not fully loaded - 3 passengers - self, wife & 2 yr old son + luggage) suffered some big hits & got a flat tire, which I didn't realise till someone pointed out. End result - outer side wall had a cut.

Anyway, got on to NH11/15 on Fatehpur (google says NH11 but road sign said NH15) at around 4:30pm with about 170kms still to go till Bikaner. But this stretch was good & covered this in about 2.5 hours. Without hitting triple digit speeds. I was on the cautious side due to my tire problems but no way i will call this highway safe for triple digit speeds.

Bikaner - Jaisalmer - SAM sand dunes:
Stuck to NH15 right till Jaisalmer & onto the road towards SAM. Decent roads with some road laying work in progress. But that wasn't a problem as traffic was sparse. Again not a road to hit triple digits safely. It's just 2 lanes. And you can avoid driving insanely fast as the landscape is worth enjoying. For those into photography, you might be compelled into making multiple stops.

After a night at SAM, back in Jaisalmer. Another flat tire, this time a burst. Rear left had a big hole in it so it was rendered beyond repair. Probably developed a cut the previous day, & the hot weather/old tires combination did the rest. So first thing I had to do in Jaisalmer was look for new tires!

That wasn't easy. I had Michelins Primacy LC 195/60/R15 earlier & the only tire in that size was Bridgestone B290. & this was the only store I could find who had any tires in that size. After exploring some other options, I decided to replace 2 tires at about R5500/piece. Can't negotiate much if you don't have a lot of options.

Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Ajmer:
After 2 nights in Jaisalmer city, decided to return via Jodhpur -Ajmer route (overnight in Ajmer) sticking to NHs. Road condition was OK. There were several sections where road was under construction or just 1 lane was operational but again, due to sparse traffic, no traffic jams. 2 lane highway all the way to Ajmer. Somewhere before Ajmer (about an hour & half short) the route becomes particularly scenic. My wife doesn't like long road trips but this was the section she actually enjoyed.

Ajmer - Jaipur - Gurgaon - Noida:
Nothing worthwhile here to write. Decent roads but a lot more traffic after Jaipur leading onto traffic jams in Delhi.

The section leading from Fatehgar to Jaisalmer via Bikaner, and from Jaisalmer till Jaipur via Jodhpur/ Ajmer was the best to enjoy the driving. I could maintain a decent pace while also enjoying the scenic landscaping of that part of the country. There was many places where one could actually see the horizon (which means a lot if you live in NCR). It seems that farther one is willing to travel from the city & usual commercial centres (e.g. Jaipur), the more likely you are to enjoy the journey. Oh! & stick to NH in this rainy season.
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 13:29   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post

Jodhpur to Bar is 2/3 lane curvy road. Stray animals will be there.

Bar to Jaipur - 4/6 lane road. Very good condition.
Can you give one more landmark/place enroute coz searching for "BAR" on map is leading me nowhere!
Old 31st October 2016, 15:41   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-xc-lnc View Post
Can you give one more landmark/place enroute coz searching for "BAR" on map is leading me nowhere!

You can find Jodhpur /Bar router over here on google maps
Old 31st October 2016, 19:15   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you give one more landmark/place enroute coz searching for "BAR" on map is leading me nowhere
If one has to go as far as Bar to reach Jodhpur, won't it be better to continue on Highway till Pali and take SH 62 which should be in better shape, though this route looks to be 40 Km longer.

Jaipur - Ajmer - Pali and further to Sirohi - Ahmedabad is all 4 or 6 laned.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Aj...26.2389469!3e0

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st October 2016 at 19:23.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 18:06   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If one has to go as far as Bar to reach Jodhpur, won't it be better to continue on Highway till Pali and take SH 62 which should be in better shape, though this route looks to be 40 Km longer.
You are right sir. We did Pushkar - Pulsar Bypass - Ajmer Outer - Beawar - Pali - Jodhpur last week. Six lanes till Beawar. Four lanes with shoulders till Pali. Four lanes without shoulders till Jodhpur. Was done in 4.5 hours with a half an hour lunch break.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 19:15   #174
BHPian

Road update : Delhi-Behror-Narnaul-Jhunjhunu-Mandawa-Fatehpur-Bikaner-Pokhran-Jaisalmer-Longewala-Tanot-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Beawar-Jaipur-Delhi
  • Delhi-Behror : Took Delhi-Jaipur Highway, good roads overall.
  • Behror-Narnaul-Jhunjhunu : Single lane road, most of it in good condition.
  • Jhunjhun-Mandawa-Fatehpur : Worst roads I have driven till date, full of potholes. It took us 2 hours to complete this section of 48 kms. Fatehpur was water logged, one should be careful with sedans.
  • Fatehpur-Bikaner : Superb single lane roads.
  • Bikaner-Phalodi-Pokhran : Road widening work going on few stretches.
  • Pokran-Jaisalmer : Lots of diversion and road repair work for the first 50kms, then smooth single lane road till Jaisalmer.
  • Jaisalmer-Longewala-Tanot-Jaisalmer : Superb roads, maintained by BRO. The Longewala-Tanot road is very narrow and if two cars have to pass by both of them has to get down the road. I saw a Ertiga and a scorpio stuck in loose sand trying to make way for trucks. Scenic roads all along.
  • Jaisalmer-Jodhpur : Road widening work going on around Dechu, bad 20-30 kms overall.
  • Jodhpur-Beawar-Jaipur-Delhi : Good roads, 4-lane roads from Beawar till Delhi.

My itinerary was as follows:

Day 1 : Delhi-Jaisalmer.
Day 2 : Jaisalmer-Longewala-Tanot-Jaisalmer.
Day 3 : Jaisalmer- Jodhpur.
Day 4 : Jodhpur-Delhi.

Stayed at Hotel Victoria inside the Jaisalmer fort and Hotel Umed Marvel in Jodhpur.

Last edited by sinharishi : 30th November 2016 at 19:17.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 11:41   #175
BHPian

I am planning a two day trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer in March 2nd week. Does anyone know if I can rent a self drive car in Jodhpur for two days?

Zoomcar and Myles are not present in either of the towns.
Old 18th December 2016, 21:34   #176
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I would like to know a good route to take from khimsar - nagaur to delhi.

There are 2 options I can see on google map -

Nagaur - salasar - sikar -jaipur-delhi OR
Nagaur - merta - ajmer - jaipur -delhi

Please suggest which one should I take, or if any other route would be better.

Thanks,
Ank
Old 19th December 2016, 13:33   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hi Guys,

I would like to know a good route to take from khimsar - nagaur to delhi.

There are 2 options I can see on google map -

Nagaur - salasar - sikar -jaipur-delhi OR
Nagaur - merta - ajmer - jaipur -delhi

Please suggest which one should I take, or if any other route would be better.

Thanks,
Ank
IMO,Nagaur-Didwana-Kuchaman-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 20:41   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
IMO,Nagaur-Didwana-Kuchaman-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi
Thanks Ranjit.

How are the road conditions on this route? Also, the route you are suggesting is Kuchaman - Reniwal - Jobner - Jaipur - Delhi?
Old 20th December 2016, 11:43   #179
BHPian

hi Guys,

Need help in route planning for a Gurgaon - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Mandawa - Gurgaon trip.

The route i am thinking of taking is -

1. Gurgaon - Jodhpur

Gurgaon - NH8 - Jaipur - Ajmer (possible halt here for lunch) - Beawar - Bar - Jodhpur

Is this a good route? Road conditions? If i start early in the morning from Gurgaon (say 5 am) will i have time to do some sightseeing in Ajmer/Pushkar? Does is make sense to do that? Eating options? Are there good dhabas/ midway points on the route?

2. Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
route 1 - NH 125 & NH 11
Jodhpur - Pokhran - Jaisalmer

route 2 - SH61 & NH 11
Jodhpur - Osian - Phalodi - Pokhran - Jaisalmer

Which route to take?
Is there anything worthwhile to stop in Osian, Pokhran enroute to Jaisalmer? How is the route condition? Places to eat?

3. Jaisalmer - Bikaner
NH11
Jaisalmer - Pokhran - Phalodi - Khichan - Gajner - Bikaner

4. Bikaner - Mandawa
NH11
Bikaner - ratangarh - fatehgarh - mandawa

how is the road condition? What are the places to see in Fatehgarh, Mandawa, Jhunjhunu? Any other important Shekhawati places around here?

5. Mandawa - Gurgaon
Mandawa - Jhunjhunu - Chirawa - Loharu - Jhajjar - Gurgaon

I have heard that the road conditions are not very good here? any alternative routes with better road conditions?

Also in general - how is this circuit safety wise? I will be driving with my family - anything security concerns that i should take notice? Is driving in the evening/night safe?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 20th December 2016, 12:20   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
hi Guys,

Need help in route planning for a Gurgaon - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Mandawa - Gurgaon trip.

The route i am thinking of taking is -

1. Gurgaon - Jodhpur

Gurgaon - NH8 - Jaipur - Ajmer (possible halt here for lunch) - Beawar - Bar - Jodhpur

Is this a good route? Road conditions? If i start early in the morning from Gurgaon (say 5 am) will i have time to do some sightseeing in Ajmer/Pushkar? Does is make sense to do that? Eating options? Are there good dhabas/ midway points on the route?
Yes this is the preferred route.Plenty of restaurants enroute.If your plan is to visit the dargah and the temple,it depends on the rush and the parking availability etc.Easiest would be for you to park your car in the railway station and hire a rick to take you to both places and drop you back to the station parking.So far havent heard of any safety issues with the RS parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
2. Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
route 1 - NH 125 & NH 11
Jodhpur - Pokhran - Jaisalmer

Which route to take?
Is there anything worthwhile to stop in Osian, Pokhran enroute to Jaisalmer? How is the route condition? Places to eat?
Yes this is the easiest and best route. Shouldnt take you more than 5hours and the roads are all good.Best would be to leave JDP after breakfast and arrive Jaisalmer for lunch.Nothing to see enroute.No safety issues on any roads within Rajasthan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Thanks Ranjit.

How are the road conditions on this route? Also, the route you are suggesting is Kuchaman - Reniwal - Jobner - Jaipur - Delhi?
I dont think thats the route i was suggesting,there was/is this tolled road between Kuchaman and Kishangarh(NH8),IIRC it was called the SH7?Beautiful tolled road and from NH8 onto Jaipur.This road is a part of the Hanumangarh-Kishangarh Megahighway.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 20th December 2016 at 12:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks