Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:08   #61
Team-BHP Support

Since our plans have changed, we have decided to do Bikaner instead of Jodhpur, is that a better idea.
Look at the Rajashthan map, it appears that Delhi-Jaipur-Bikaner-Jaisalmer uses only national highways.
NH8-NH11-NH15
The Route is
Delhi - Jaipur - Sikar - Bikaner - Jaisalmer.
I think the roads on this route will be better than the Jodhpur route because that has lots of State highways.
any suggestions or inputs guys.
Old 2nd October 2008, 00:05   #62
Team-BHP Support

Based on inputs from a guy who did Delhi-Jodhpur in just 10 hours with not so fast driving, we will take that route since its shorter and roads are excellent.
One trouble though.
I have no idea about fuel pumps en route.
While going we go
Delhi-Jaipur-Kishangarh-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer
Please let us know good fuel pumps in Jodhpur or Jaipur area and in the city of Jaisalmer
While coming back we are coming back via Pokhran-Phalodi-Nagaur-Kishangarh-Jaipur.
So need a good fuel pump en route.

Any suggestions, please holler
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:02   #63
Senior - BHPian

boss,

u may already know, but AVOID pumps around Jaipur-Kishangarh area like the PLAGUE. horrible FE everytime someone we know tanks up there (every pushkar ride).

There is a decent BPCL coco, some 20 oddkm before the bypass.

can't help others since I visited them when reliance was operational! today dunno.
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Was planning an Udaipur trip starting Friday (3rd October) morning but still tossing between Udaipur and Jodhpur... Is Delhi - Jodhpur doable comfortably in 8-9 hours of driving?

After reading your thread, now Jaisalmer seems to be becoming an option as well

2 Issues:
1. I am worried about half of Delhi being in all these places for the long weekend. I have no bookings / reservations.
2. Any particular hazards of doing long distance drives alone (if you are not Mr HVK or Tirthankar?)

No intentions of hijacking your thread TSK boss, but it seems this is where all the action is tonight!!
Old 2nd October 2008, 02:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

1. Doesnt matter. delhiwalas are omnipresent. gujjus would flood udaipur courtesy booze anyways.
2. sleep. what else didja expect? No gorgeous sirens like odysseus found
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:36   #66
Team-BHP Support

Jodhpur won't be very crowded. Easily doable in 9 hours if you start early.
You can also go to Jaisalmer(3 hours more only).
If you are a sand dune chap, go to Bikaner. From there desert safari's originate, travel time around 7-8 hours only
Old 25th November 2008, 13:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Jodhpur won't be very crowded. Easily doable in 9 hours if you start early.
Hi Tsk, just wanted to check with you what route you took to reach Jodhpur? Was it the regular Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Beawar-Jodhpur one, or something else? I am planning a trip to Jaisalmer in December via Manvar (stop for desert safari and night camping) which is between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. Reaching Johdpur in 9 hours seems quite good, so I am really looking forward for your update.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:46   #68
Team-BHP Support

Yes I took the regular route. Its good except for the Ajmer bit where you have to struggle at railway crossing and heavy truck traffic.
If you are going to Jaisalmer, the best route will be take NH89 befor ajmer, go to Nagaur, from there catch NH15 at Phalodi, and head over to Jaisalmer via Pokhran on NH15
Old 25th November 2008, 14:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

You get the railway crossing only if you go from inside the Ajmer city. If you are on NH8 and bypass the city, then no rly crossing.

Quote:
Yes I took the regular route. Its good except for the Ajmer bit where you have to struggle at railway crossing and heavy truck traffic.
If you are going to Jaisalmer, the best route will be take NH89 befor ajmer, go to Nagaur, from there catch NH15 at Phalodi, and head over to Jaisalmer via Pokhran on NH15
Old 25th November 2008, 14:17   #70
Team-BHP Support

gd bhai, I was looking at the maps, and it appears I have to take NH8A to Nasirabad, and then take a detour back to the Ajmer-Beawar road. This route will be much longer. If there is any other route, please educate about the same
Old 25th November 2008, 14:48   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979: Are you describing that that you took Kishangarh-Nasirabad-Beawer route?
If you leave express way at Kishangarh (drive straight) then you come to Ajmer here you have to take the bye-pass - Y fork left - and this takes you across to other side of Ajmer and you can continue to Beawer. Nasirabad is more towards east and if you are going via Naguar then nasirabad should not come on the way. I am confused between you last two posts.

Last edited by sudev : 25th November 2008 at 14:51.
Old 25th November 2008, 14:54   #72
Team-BHP Support

I went through ajmer, with railway crossing and all. I took ajmer bypass as marked. but the bypass had this railway crossing and big jam.
Are you saying that other than Nasirabad NH8A, there is another ajmer bypass which goes to Beawar?
Old 25th November 2008, 14:59   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
gd bhai, I was looking at the maps, and it appears I have to take NH8A to Nasirabad, and then take a detour back to the Ajmer-Beawar road. This route will be much longer. If there is any other route, please educate about the same
Confusion because of above two and then inter spread with:

Quote:
If you want to head to Jaisalmer via Beawer then Ajmer has only one bye-pass (east of the city). And railway crossing is part of the bye-pass. OTOH if you go through the city I think there is no railway crossing. Not too sure right now.

Last edited by sudev : 25th November 2008 at 15:01.
Old 25th November 2008, 15:09   #74
Team-BHP Support

Okay, I was suggesting that NH89 to NAgaur is a better route for Jaisalmer because I found the Nagaur-Phalodi-Pokhran-Jaisalmer stretch to be completely devoid of traffic. Averaging 90kmph possible easily.
I took ajmer bypass and was confontred with 5km line of trucks at railway crossing. Eventually went off the main road, drove on the sandy berm and came very near the railway crossing. Still ended up wasting 1.5 hours at that crossing.
The only time I had seen so many trucks is at delhi border at 11pm
Old 25th November 2008, 15:17   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

With you on going via Nagaur. You can also do Kishangarh-Didwana-Nagaur. Excellent road till Didwana and may be a bit faster. I prefer this as it avoids Ajmer-Pushkar plus Merta City but adds having to go through Didwana.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks