Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 09:57   #3466
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Forum,

Returned from our Goa escapade on Friday night. I am probably the slowest TBHPian, we as a family like to take long leisurely breaks, stretch our legs and fill our tummies .

Here are the timelines and route details:

Pune to Goa, driving time 10hr 15min:

- Started from Pune at 5:45am on Monday morning.
- Reached Sai International before Kolhapur at 9:30am.
- Left Sai International at 10:30am.
- Reached Sanman Deluxe in Belagavi at 12:45pm.
- Started for Goa at around 1:15pm after a quick snack break.
- This is where I goofed up and made a rookie mistake of putting Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary in google, rather than Central Pottery Institute, and roamed the streets around Belgaum for a while before realising we should go to the Institute.
- The drive through Bhimgad was pretty uneventful this time, maybe because it was a Monday.
- Reached our resort in Majorda at 5:30pm.

Goa to Pune, driving time 10hr 5mins:

- Started for Pune at 10am on Friday morning.
- I told google maps to take me via Bhimgad, but must have made a mistake enroute as it went via Keri and Kinaye. One difference between the routes was that on the return route we ran into at least 10 places where I had to grind to a complete halt and choose how to cross the bad patch on the road. So I am guessing I took the Chorla route. Apart from this the route was better than Bhimgad/Anmod.
- Reached Sanman Deluxe at 1:35pm.
- Left Sanman Deluxe after picking up Kunda from Atul Purohit Sweets at 2:55pm .
- Reached Sai International after Kolhapur at 5:40pm.
- Left Sai International at 6:40pm.
- Reached NIBM Pune at 10:15pm.

It was an awesome trip with many first-time experiences:

1. New places to eat:
- Da Tita by Magic Italy, awesome pizzas!
- The Fisherman's Wharf in Cavelossim, lovely riverside restaurant with amazing sea food, highly recommended.
- ZBF Ziggy's By Fame in Majorda, bang opposite Alila Diwa resort. Great food, and great ambience, worth experiencing.
2. New experiences.
- The wife and kids enjoyed parasailing for the first time on Majorda beach. At 1200 per person for a 3 min run, it was a bit steep, but then hey it was a new experience! Yours truly was the odd man out being scared of heights and water, and this involved both .
- We ran into a live Jelly fish on Majorda beach, and while taking a video it got pissed off enough to change colors and release some of the deadly black poison into the water, it was a serene experience.
- Cabo re Rama beach, this has a very nice vantage point from where you can do some dolphin spotting if you have binoculars, or even otherwise.
- Also from the fort there is a path which leads to a pebble beach, where we had loads of fun playing in the water, its almost like a swimming pool to enjoy with the kids. It was hard to get the kids out, till we jointly spotted another Jelly fish in the water, kids were out in a jiffy, after having seen them in action the previous day!

All in all a lovely Goa trip as usual, with lots of new experiences added to the mix, cant wait for the next one!

One obvious quick tip, try travelling on a weekday, it makes the drive considerably more tolerable.

Thanks for reading!
harryputtar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:25   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Returned from our Goa escapade on Friday night.
Could you please let me know on the entry requirements applicable right now for out of state travelers? Whatever info I could find points to either vaccination certificates or RT-PCR tests. Also, pre-booking is required of place of stay in Goa, as per the info. What was your experience? Did they check it at the checkpost?
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:33   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Could you please let me know on the entry requirements applicable right now for out of state travelers? Whatever info I could find points to either vaccination certificates or RT-PCR tests. Also, pre-booking is required of place of stay in Goa, as per the info. What was your experience? Did they check it at the checkpost?
So we were 2 adults and 2 children (11 and 7 years old).

On the way to Goa, vaccination certificates were checked for the adults at the Kognoli checkpost when entering Karnataka. I had carried booking printouts, but they were not checked. No checking whatsoever for the kids.

On the way back from Goa again when entering Karnataka our vaccination certificates were checked for the adults, again no checks for the kids, and no other checks. We were also stopped ones for a verbal alcohol check, I said no, they noticed we had kids in the car and let us go. Also no checks whatsoever on entering Maharashtra!

All very smooth sailing. All the very best for your vacation!
harryputtar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:08   #3469
BHPian

Hopped down to Kolhapur from Mumbai with my family over the weekend as my mom wanted to take darshan at the Mahalakshmi temple there.

Mumbai-Kolhapur (404km):
05:37-Left Borivali, Mumbai
08:02-Stopped at the food court just after the expressway for breakfast and refreshment
08:40-Resumed journey
12:48-Entered Kolhapur
13:25-Checked into Hotel Woodlands, Kolhapur

Was travelling with my 91-year old grandpa in the passenger seat, Mom and my motion-sickness prone younger sister in the rear.

Grandpa was fine for all of the drive, I had mapped out refreshment stops every ~30kms from this thread/Google Maps in case an emergency bathroom break was required, which was thankfully not necessary.

For the majority of the drive, the roads are relatively straightforward except for the Lonavala and Satara ghats. Due to the regular slow traffic at Lonavala, the ghat effects were not felt. However, my sister was nauseous after the Satara ghats, and needed some open-window slow driving after that for her stomach to settle. We had kept a plastic sickness bag ready in hand, I would advise other families to also be prepared for the same.

Post ghats, the roads are a game of chance. There are stretches of tempting road that just beg you to floor the pedal, but where there’s a smooth stretch, there’s almost definitely a bumper/suspension/undercarriage wrecking pothole ahead, and this siren song cat-and-mouse continues all the way until Satara itself.

Satara-Kolhapur was a bit better, with the sugarcane fields on the plains really setting the mood for the drive. However the consistent peppering of two-wheelers, sugarcane trailers, and sugar trucks does make it a bit of an annoyance on the 4-Lane Highway.

Kolhapur Darshan:
We were unsure of how much time or energy we’d have after travel, so I booked two slots of E-Passes for the temple, Saturday 7-8PM and Sunday 8-9 AM so we could take either one.

E-Passes are mandatory, and there’s quite a strict check and scan happening at the entry, so please do ensure it’s all booked in advance. Keep your vaccination certificates handy as well.

We decided to take up the evening slot as we were refreshed from the afternoon naps. There are many different entrances to the temple, the best one to drive to and park is here

We had the most amazing evening darshan, with beautiful lights and very minimal crowds. It was almost like an exclusive VIP experience, and I highly recommend seeing it in the evening. Mom and my Grandpa were very happy, they never imagined they could get so close and not be jostled about by thousands of people.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-4b3c60fa78234641bd829c491f0da744.jpeg

We decided to revisit the next morning for sunrise as well, so I booked another E-Pass for 6-7AM. And to our surprise, the temple was full! We still managed to get a quick darshan, but it was nowhere close to the bliss of the previous evening.

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-09bc57e4244e45598ac4a6f0ddb523c6.jpeg

Kolhapur Stay, Food, Fuel:
I booked rooms at Hotel Woodlands, and it was safe, comfortable, and reasonably priced to boot. Parking was also available in and around the premises with a security guard, so I could leave my Venue in peace.

Being vegetarian, the pure-veg food options were a bit limited. We had a late lunch at the famed Gokul Hotel for lunch, and the Punjabi and South Indian thalis after half a day of travel was well received by the family
We were all so stuffed with lunch that for dinner later, we decided to have some fruits and call it a day.

The next morning post-darshan, we returned to Gokul for breakfast as my grandpa was insistent on having their coffee. The breakfast again, did not disappoint.

By now, I was almost running on an empty fuel tank, so I chose the BP Police Welfare bunk to refuel from (profits from here go to families of police officers who laid down their lives on duty). Not only do you get good service here, but you can also accomplish your good deed for the day!

Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai Return (430km):
The return roads are much, much better for some reason. There are still random craters, however they are fewer and further between. We stopped at Shiv Sagar in Satara for a quick lunch (moderately okay food, more of sustenance than delicacy) and loaded the boot up with all sorts of fresh Mosambis, Apples, Pomegranates and other fruits that cost 1/3 of what they would in Mumbai.

The best aspect on this return route is the tunnel cut through the Khandalas that completely avoids any form of nauseating ghats!

Grandpa now in a good mood from being out of the house after almost two years, asked to visit some relatives in Pune that he had not seen in decades. After several hours in Pune, we left by 6PM and were back home in Borivali, Mumbai by 9:45PM. I had expected the MPEW to be a bit more challenging after sunset, but it was quite easy to get through and I had no reason to feel unsafe driving my family in the dark.

Apologies for the long post, there are some unique challenges taking old and motion-sickness prone family members along and I thought this might help someone plan their own family weekend getaway
wolfsnare24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:23   #3470
BHPian

Hey folks!
I'm planning a drive to Palolem with a days stop-over at Dandeli. Have not taken this route before and the Pune-Dandeli thread has been inactive for a while now. Would like to hear any comments or updates from folks who have taken this road in recent times or have any inputs. For the Pune to Dandeli stretch, I see three options:
  1. Pune - Dharwad - Haliyal - Dandeli
  2. Pune - Leave NH4 at Kittur - Alnavar - Haliyal - Dandeli
  3. Pune - Belgavi - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Dandeli

For the Dandeli to Palolem stretch, I see only Dandeli - Joida - Kumbharwada - Sadashivgad - Canacona route.

Would appreciate any leads or updates or tips

I leave in two days. Will update the thread with what I see in any case.

Cheers!
Old 4th November 2021, 14:54   #3471
BHPian

Any updates on Amboli Ghat vs Chorla route? Which is preferred? Leaving from Mumbai at 6AM and heading to South Goa.
Old 4th November 2021, 17:55   #3472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Any updates on Amboli Ghat vs Chorla route? Which is preferred? Leaving from Mumbai at 6AM and heading to South Goa.
I encountered both routes last week. Chorla route is a lot better than Amboli Ghat though it has few sections where you have to stop and carefully maneuver the craters with few craters big enough to swallow small cars. Amboli Ghat has a 30 - 35 km long bad patch where initially there are few potholes and then sections with no roads at all.

While travelling from Pune to North Goa I left at 6AM and took the Amboli ghat knowing that the roads are bad as I wanted to reach by 2PM for lunch. Though the roads were bad, the time taken is less as Amboli route is shorter if your destination is North Goa.

Took the Chorla route on the was back from South Goa. Left Goa at 11 AM and reached by 9 PM. Though the roads were good time taken was more

Halt was half hour both ways.

While returning back from Goa after crossing Chorla Ghat encountered an accident where a Wagon R had rear ended an X1. The Wagon R's left side fender, bonnet and wheel looked smashed in where as the X1 had rear bumper damage. The X1 must have applied emergency breaks as there was a giant size pothole at the accident spot.

Advise people travelling on chorla route to be alert as the potholes though few in number creep up suddenly on otherwise good roads.
TheStRyder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 22:16   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStRyder View Post
Advise people travelling on chorla route to be alert as the potholes though few in number creep up suddenly on otherwise good roads.
Many thanks. Chorla Ghat it is then.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 18:35   #3474
BHPian

Did Ponda-Mumbai once again today, posting some updates in case it helps others.

Started at 6am from Goa and reached Belgaum She’ll at 9am sharp.

Chorla ghat is in good condition on the Goa side. The Karnataka side is decent overall but it has at least 10-15 massive craters that are hard to avoid. Since it wasn’t raining I was able to take my Swift through the craters and avoid underbody hits. But that didn’t happen 10 days ago when I entered Chorla after it got dark.

I strongly urge everyone to avoid Chorla at night. The craters on the KA side are very hard to tackle correctly in low or no light. It’s hard enough even in the day, and the heavy vehicle traffic doesn’t make things easy on this front.

Belgaum roads were totally empty owing to the festival weekend.

The roads are smooth from Belgaum all the way to Mumbai. As someone else also said, the road quality is somehow better while returning to Mumbai.

We were stopped by cops in Kolhapur and I thought it must be one of their ways to complete their fine quota or something. Turns out one cop wanted a lift back to his village because they’d been summoned to Kagal on short notice. The cop was a sweet chap and we dropped him near the next toll booth. He told us about other nearby religious places and sightseeing points to visit, which we may end up going to on the next trip.

We stopped at Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum for breakfast and Kamat’s before Satara for lunch. Food was good in both places but service was slow.

The total journey took 11.5 hours including breaks. Less traffic on the roads definitely helped our cause. On the next trip we will be packing lunch to save time.

PS: Shell Petrol is at ₹102/litre in KA and I made full use of the minor discount. Also, our Swift completed 30000km en route. ��
Crow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:48   #3475
BHPian

Hi All,

Today I will be travelling to Pune and tomorrow from Pune to South Goa. Planning to take Chorla ghat route.
I am travelling with wife and 2 kids. Me and wife both are fully vaccinated and carrying certificate as well.
Please suggest if RTPCR is still mandatory as there are many news floating around related to tests while entering / passing Karnataka and I could not find any roper guideline on Karnataka government portal.

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2021, 12:45   #3476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Hi All,

I am travelling with wife and 2 kids. Me and wife both are fully vaccinated and carrying certificate as well.
Please suggest if RTPCR is still mandatory

Thanks!
Took the same route last week with four adults in the car. You’ll be stopped after Kagal village in Maharashtra, and just before the Kognoli toll booth. The cops asked us where we’re coming from and where we’re going. We said Bombay and Goa respectively, so they let us go without checking anything. The same thing happened to me when I went to Goa two months ago as well.

If you’re going to Goa they’ll let you through with vaccine certificate check + hotel booking confirmation at most. That’s what they do for adults anyway. For the record, we were carrying vaccine certificates.

I have no information about the protocol for kids but you can check previous two pages in this thread for more information that others have shared. Some BHPians travelled with kids and posted here.

One last thing: When we went last week there was no vaccine certificate check at the Goa border when going through Chorla. More road condition updates are in my post just above yours. Cheers.
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:23   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Hi All,

Today I will be travelling to Pune and tomorrow from Pune to South Goa. Planning to take Chorla ghat route.
Please suggest if RTPCR is still mandatory as there are many news floating around related to tests while entering / passing Karnataka and I could not find any roper guideline on Karnataka government portal.

Thanks!

I travelled to north goa through amboli ghat few days back.

At the karnataka border we were asked the destination. On mentioning Goa they just asked if we were double vaccinated. No certificates were checked.

At the goa border we were asked to park the car and show vaccination certificates to the people sitting in a road side booth. We were travelling with a 6 year old. No RTPCR requested for the child. Just saw the vaccination certificates.

On the return journey there were no checks whatsoever. !!
TheStRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 20:30   #3478

Thank you all, used this forum to plan my first long drive in my First Car. Started from Navi Mumbai at 430AM. Being my first time was a bit worried, but went ahead nonetheless.. So took the Mumbai - Pune- Kolhapur route.

The Mumbai - Pune Expressway route was the usual good road, one thing that surprised me was the drivers on the expressway were all well behaved - no needless honking, over-speeding or over taking. Not sure if it is so in the early hours or I picked a good driver's day. Was able to reach Pune by 630am.

Discussion about road conditions have been very well covered in the all previous post. And thanks to them i really enjoyed the drive. Although if the road conditions were better i would have preferred NH66 over this any day. As far as COVID protocol is concerned, all they did at Karnataka was ask where we were heading, we said Goa and they let us pass. Nothing regarding bookings etc. At Goa they checked our Final vaccination that's it but did not cross check these against ID proofs.

Driving in Belgavi wasn't the best experience, the road is full of two wheelers and need to keep your foot on the break, reminded me of Pune.

One thing i wish to call out is that after Belgavi google map just abruptly stopped at a certain location, no offline map or anything. Post asking around i ended up in Bhagwam Mahavir Wildlife sanctuary (i think). Although i took a wrong turn somewhere, not once did i regret it, the roads were bad in certain patches, but scenery more than made up to it, dense forest it was simply awesome.

once outside the jungle we were on certain section of ghat which wasn't tarred but concrete(?) and i hadn't read that in any of the posts. So i am unsure if the ghat was chorla. If anyone has taken this route please do let me know.

IF you do end up taking this route, please be careful oncoming traffic comes in without any warning and avoid driving too close to the edge as the concrete simply drops on either side without any mud banks.

Even after the detour i reached my destination in Benaulim by 430pm, that is 12hrs including 45 mins break. On my way back i did not get this ghat.

Thank you BHPians.

PS: I was driving the Kiger RXT AMT. Worked like a charm, gave an average of 18kmpl, (did not expect)
PradeepVKiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 20:30   #3479
BHPian

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - South Goa in 9 hrs flat.

Just stopped for 10 minutes for a quick refuel at Belgaum.

The X3 drives like a dream. Really steady on the highway. Swallowed up all the pot holes like a beast.

The X drive system is really super. Keeps the car rock steady on all surfaces.

The gearbox is at a different level. I always had enough power to overtake even in normal comfort mode.

Thumbs up BMW X3
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-40b93063110f4f20926b29b061de20e1.jpeg  

drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:51   #3480
km7

Hi Guys, I'm new to the community. Seems like the other Mumbai - goa thread is inactive.

I'd love some advice on the Mumbai (thane to be precise) to Goa route. Driving with family 3 adults, 2 young kids on a long road trip - we're driving from Delhi (but taking it slow, doing about 300km a day).

We'll be heading to Thane tomorrow and looking to leave day after from Thane - advise on which route to take? I was really hoping to drive along the coast or take the more picturesque NH 66 and stopping a day at Chiplun but heard roads and truck traffic can be rough on this route - is it advisable or stick to the via Kolhapur route

Also, any advice on a good place to stay the night - something that allows us to experience the freshness of the ghats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks