Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 15:41   #196
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

I recently did a very similar trip to Madurai-Kanyakumari from Bangalore. The itinerary that I followed was :-

Day 1 : Started at 6:30 am from Bangalore. Reached Madurai at 1:30 pm with one breakfast break. Checked-in at Star Residency ( near Anna Bus Stand ). We liked the hotel ( very decent and spacious rooms ) plus they had a continental menu that was surprisingly very good. The breakfast buffet in the morning was a little disappointing though. Took an auto ( Rs 70 ) to the temple in the evening and the entire dharshan took 2 hours.

Day 2 : Started at 10 am from Madurai. Had a coffee break at the only CCD in the entire Madurai-Kanyakumari stretch and reached Kanyakumari at 2 pm. Checked-in at Sparsa resort ( near Sunset point ). Its a decent resort with some rooms getting a sea view. Very good food again. Evening was spent in the resort swimming pool.

Day 3 : Vivekananda Rock memorial + Shopping + a drive around town. This pretty much consumed the entire day.

Day 4 : Had a relaxed breakfast and checked out at 11:30 am. Reached Dindigul by 3 pm where we had lunch and reached Bangalore at 9:30 pm.

Driving conditions : Excellent throughout. I would need to add though that since I had started at around 11-12 from Kanyakumari, I bumped into evening peak-hour traffic at Salem. Took a while to get out of it and it was moderate to heavy traffic all the way upto Bangalore from there on. One may want to start either early or late in the afternoon to avoid this.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 23:31   #197
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to drive down from Goa to kanyakumari, i was earlier planning on breaking the journey at Bangalore but have now decided to drive a bit further down. We'll only have 4 days to do Goa-Kanyakumari-Hampi. So I need to plan the night halt somewhere which will give us time to reach Kanyakumari by late afternoon to catch the sunset and then we'll leave the next day after Sunrise and some sight seeing.
Old 5th December 2012, 23:38   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive down from Goa to kanyakumari, i was earlier planning on breaking the journey at Bangalore but have now decided to drive a bit further down. We'll only have 4 days to do Goa-Kanyakumari-Hampi. So I need to plan the night halt somewhere which will give us time to reach Kanyakumari by late afternoon to catch the sunset and then we'll leave the next day after Sunrise and some sight seeing.
It would be a real touch and go situation, unless you just want to enjoy the drive. Because for sure you may not be able to start by 4AM from Goa.
If you start by 8 or 10AM, you would be in Bangalore by 9-10PM.

Even if you plan to push along, it may not be advisable. If you break, and start next day early morning you should be in KK by
that evening or late afternoon. Assume the same two days to drive back to Hampi.

So unless you want to the thrill of the drive, it does not make sense.
Instead you can look at places like Yana, Magod/Sathodi falls around Yellapur, look at Sirsi or go around Anshi national park etc. All these places
are around Hubli vicinity and you can do ample things in 4 days, before you reach Hampi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 09:13   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

If you are going to reach Bangalore after 6:00 PM, then it is better to take a break in bangalore and start early morning say around 4:00 AM. You can reach Kanyakumari by 1:00PM(It takes 8-11 hours depending on the speed and number of breaks you take). Also, you should make sure to cross Salem before 7:00 AM, else you may get stuck in traffic there.

Need to be careful while taking Madurai bypass as well.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 11:19   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Would suggest you continue towards Salem and stop for the day at Salem.You can take the NICE Ring road while coming from Tumkur and head straight to Salem without touching Bangalore,that much less for you to drive on Day 2.Cenneys,Park Plaza,GRT Estancia are all good places to stay in Salem.From NICE road start to Salem hotel shouldnt take more than 3hours.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 16:42   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
If you are going to reach Bangalore after 6:00 PM, then it is better to take a break in bangalore and start early morning say around 4:00 AM. You can reach Kanyakumari by 1:00PM(It takes 8-11 hours depending on the speed and number of breaks you take). Also, you should make sure to cross Salem before 7:00 AM, else you may get stuck in traffic there.

Need to be careful while taking Madurai bypass as well.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind, just curious what do I need to be careful of when I take Madurai Bypass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Would suggest you continue towards Salem and stop for the day at Salem.You can take the NICE Ring road while coming from Tumkur and head straight to Salem without touching Bangalore,that much less for you to drive on Day 2.Cenneys,Park Plaza,GRT Estancia are all good places to stay in Salem.From NICE road start to Salem hotel shouldnt take more than 3hours.
Thanks, I will try and do this as Salem looks like the best option. Any budget hotels that you might recommend which would have a safe car park facility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It would be a real touch and go situation, unless you just want to enjoy the drive. Because for sure you may not be able to start by 4AM from Goa.
If you start by 8 or 10AM, you would be in Bangalore by 9-10PM.

Thanks for the feedback. You are absolutely correct about the 4AM part. But hopefully we'll move by 6-7 AM. I know it's not enough time but this might be the only time in the near future when I will be able to do this. Am driving down to Goa from Delhi and want to do Kanyakumari too. It'll be Kashmir to Kanyakumari in 2012 then.
We are 3 drivers so hopefully it can be managed.
Old 6th December 2012, 16:50   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208

Thanks, I will try and do this as Salem looks like the best option. Any budget hotels that you might recommend which would have a safe car park facility?
hotel cenneys gateway is a budget place. www.hotelcenneys.com

If you press ahead you would reach Dindigul in another 150mins(170kms) parsons court is a good place there.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 23:10   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I will keep that in mind, just curious what do I need to be careful of when I take Madurai Bypass?
I think the bypass starts around 15-20Kms before Madurai. There was some road construction going on and hence the 4L will turn to 2L and immediately after this you will have to take right for the bypass which goes towards Virudhunagar, Thirunelveli, Kanyakumari. Missing this turn will take you towards the city. So, once you are on the 2L be alert to take the right.
Old 21st December 2012, 20:07   #204
BHPian

Friends,

We (family with kids) are driving to Kanyakumari from Bangalore next week and wanted suggestions from friends who have already done this route before:

Planning to start from Marathhalli, Bangalore at 4.00AM targetting to reach Kanyakumari around 12PM with couple of stop overs for Breakfast and coffee.

Route: BLR-Salem-Dindugal-Madurai-Kanyakumari (Better routes always welcome)

1) Please suggest decent good places to stop for breakfast between 8.00 - 8.30 AM and again around 11AM.
2) Good hotels/restaurants in Kanyakumari serving authentic Tamilnadu food for breakfast/lunch/dinner (Veg and Non-veg).
3) Specific Highway Petrol Bunks that accept credit cards as I intend to travel on light pocket to avoid unnecessary attention

Thanks in Advance.
Kiran
Old 21st December 2012, 21:10   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Planning to start from Marathhalli, Bangalore at 4.00AM targetting to reach Kanyakumari around 12PM with couple of stop overs for Breakfast and coffee.
Should be doable.

4AM - BLR (Marathahalli)
6:30/7AM : Salem (200km)
9:30 AM : Dindigul (170km)
Madurai Bypass (Thirumangalam) : 10 AM (80km)
KK : 12/12:30 (230km)

Places : If you start at 4AM, 7AM at Salem you can break at GRT if you ware in a mood to splurge. Beyond Salem there is an Aryas before Namakkal.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 21:20   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Friends,

We (family with kids) are driving to Kanyakumari from Bangalore next week and wanted suggestions from friends who have already done this route before:

Kiran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Should be doable.

4AM - BLR (Marathahalli)
6:30/7AM : Salem (200km)
9:30 AM : Dindigul (170km)
Madurai Bypass (Thirumangalam) : 10 AM (80km)
KK : 12/12:30 (230km)

Places : If you start at 4AM, 7AM at Salem you can break at GRT if you ware in a mood to splurge. Beyond Salem there is an Aryas before Namakkal.
I think this is a bit of stretch especially considering that you are traveling with family on day time and will need at least a couple of breaks. 10 hrs will be a more practical time to cover 700 kms.
Old 21st December 2012, 21:51   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I think this is a bit of stretch especially considering that you are traveling with family on day time and will need at least a couple of breaks. 10 hrs will be a more practical time to cover 700 kms.
Definitely its a stretch. What I mentioned were only drive times.
He needs to add break times as well. (1-2 hours)
Old 21st December 2012, 23:21   #208
Senior - BHPian

Couple of things.

1) There could be fog between Attilbele-Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch in early mornings, so it could slow you down due to low visibility. Watch out for it.
2) As ampere suggested, finish the breakfast at salem itself and then proceed. Obviously, other restaurants won't be happen if you start at 4 AM and you can't eat breakfast too.
3) There is a decent veg restaurant ( I guess it is called Aaryas or Arya bhavan) which comes to you in RHS in BP company owned petrol pump after crossing dindigul and just before samayanallur. I originally thought it could be another A2B as usually A2Bs are there in BP petrol pumps, but it is not.
You can have lunch in this place or drive down further to Tirunelveli and have it there, but its a bit long drive.
4) To my knowledge, There are no good/decent hotels after crossing Namakkal till Tirunelveli in NH, except the one i mentioned above. So be prepared to have some food if required for kids, until you reach Tirunelveli.
5) I've done Tirunelveli to Bangalore with family and kid in my i20, twice in last 4 months in about 7 hrs drive + about 1 hour break. Considering that, i guess it would easily take you about 9 to 10 hours to reach KK. In which car you are driving down to KK? It also depends and will increase/decrease the travel time.
6) Nowadays, almost all Petrol Pumps are accepting Credit cards in NH, except for few. Definitely BP is accepting credit cards ( Chinnar or Thoppur & one before samayanallur).Not a big concern, but you would need to carry cash for paying tolls. From Bangalore to Tirunelveli, i remember like paying about Rs. 675 for toll alone one way.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:38   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Last week when we drove to Nagercoil we had a pit stop here for coffee, Dhabba Express - This place is around 25-30 Kms from Karur towards Dindugal and comes on the left side along with a IOC. The place looked decent and some work was going in the Kids play area. Has any one tried lunch or dinner here?

Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-de1.jpg
Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-de2.jpg
Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries-de3.jpg

2) Also, I saw a new hotel Uma Shanker immediately after the Salaipudhur toll(this is close to Kayathar) on the left side while coming from Bangalore/Madurai. Any one tried this?. This is around 5-7 Kms before the Capsi Restaurant.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:10   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
1) Last week when we drove to Nagercoil we had a pit stop here for coffee, Dhabba Express - This place is around 25-30 Kms from Karur towards Dindugal and comes on the left side along with a IOC.
Interestingly the board says they have branches in Hosur & Krishnagiri as well. If they are good and the other branches are by the N-S Corridor these are additional pitstop options for the travellers in this route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks