Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2024, 09:49   #721

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post
I just got my IDP issued via an agent in KA-04 Yeshwantpur, Bangalore RTO. I was issued a single A4 paper IDP entirely in english only and not a booklet or card.

Is this english-only single A4 paper IDP the norm these days across all RTOs? Shouldn't the IDP include a translation in many languages?
I also got an IDL y'day. It is an A4 sheet. That is what they issue.
I have a query. The Category of vehicles for which Permit is valid states

Category A - Motor cycles Category L1 and L2

Can I drive in the US with this ? I have driven earlier with my Indian Driving licence. With IDL, can save on Insurance cost when renting a car there.

Look forward to clarification. Else will need to do another round of visits to the RTO. Already been there thrice in 4 days to get them to close each step of the process
Old 6th January 2024, 10:01   #722

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Amitoj, I got my IDL from Bangalore (Indiranagar RTO for Rs 500) last year when I visited the US. All u need is ur visa/ticket copies along with the DL.
Damn I've to renew it soon.......
cheers
Raihan
The process has changed now. Go to Parivaahan site, upload documents (Licence, Passport copy, Medical certificate , Copy of application form and Fee receipt) The application seeks Passport info and Visa reference only , for the country of travel. Submit online with a fee of 1000/-. Also visit RTO with physical copy of the application and all uploaded docs. Wait for a couple of days, track the status and then print it online. No extra payments to be made. Sometimes follow up may be required to ensure they click the approve button on their keyboards
Libran10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 11:57   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libran10 View Post
I also got an IDL y'day. It is an A4 sheet. That is what they issue.
I have a query. The Category of vehicles for which Permit is valid states

Category A - Motor cycles Category L1 and L2

Can I drive in the US with this ? I have driven earlier with my Indian Driving licence. With IDL, can save on Insurance cost when renting a car there.

Look forward to clarification. Else will need to do another round of visits to the RTO. Already been there thrice in 4 days to get them to close each step of the process
I was pleasantly surprised as well when I received a one page e-document for the IDP. Makes me question why they are still charging an exorbitant amount. Coming to your query, as per what I heard from my friends, car rentals did accept the one-page IDP that is issued by the local RTOs. But I suggest you to mail the rental agency directly yourself to confirm if that is the case.
Old 6th January 2024, 16:38   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will still need your driving license, for sure. I dont think the insurance rate at the car rental will change whether you have an IDL or not. They have standard collision protection rates. The one place where the IDL can come in really handy is if you get pulled over by the cops. Many cops are not aware that you can drive with a non US license as well. In those scenarios, having an IDL can get you out of a trip to the police station.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 11:42   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The application seeks Passport info and Visa reference only , for the country of travel.
Do they still need the visa details? For example, Malaysia & Thailand etc now do not require pre-approved visas as it is all free VoA now. How to deal with this situation then?
Old 19th January 2024, 15:16   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do they still need the visa details? For example, Malaysia & Thailand etc now do not require pre-approved visas as it is all free VoA now. How to deal with this situation then?
Nope. Visa is not required for countries with VoA provision for Indian Passports while applying for the IDP. Leave the visa details empty and proceed with your application.
HighOnSpeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 15:21   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOnSpeed View Post
Nope. Visa is not required for countries with VoA provision for Indian Passports while applying for the IDP. Leave the visa details empty and proceed with your application.
Thanks, that is what I thought. Getting the med-cert today or tomorrow, and apply online.
Old 31st January 2024, 14:19   #728
BHPian

I have a very unique problem with my IDP application. I am unable to make any payment in the Sarathi Parivahan website. I had assigned a broker to do all the work but we are quite unsuccessful with the same. I had to put rounds yesterday and today at the Mangalore RTO but everyone there seems to be either rude or clueless and it has been a hellish experience overall. From what ive noticed I get the Khajane 2 option during payments and it doesn't redirect to the bank page. I get an error that says failed to redirect to bank login. Another application for the same process in the local cyber went through without any issues. It seems to be an issue with my data. We have tried cancelling and resubmitting the application like 4 times now and all the time I get the same error. And from the looks of it there seems to be no solution.
Old 31st January 2024, 15:47   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
I have a very unique problem with my IDP application. I am unable to make any payment in the Sarathi Parivahan website..
Which browser are you using? I had the same problem and Chrome was the culprit. It worked from Firefox, you can try. Also, indian government websites don't work properly if you are using a VPN or from corporate laptops (which have some firewall/VPN running in the background). Hope this helps.
Old 31st January 2024, 18:31   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Which browser are you using? I had the same problem and Chrome was the culprit. It worked from Firefox, you can try. Also, indian government websites don't work properly if you are using a VPN or from corporate laptops (which have some firewall/VPN running in the background). Hope this helps.
I have tried chrome and safari. And even a cyber centre. No VPN/firewall. And the problem is only with my application. Another person in the same cyber centre had his application processed without any issues. It redirected to the payment gateway normally. Mine refuses to do so.
Old 6th February 2024, 01:01   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Submit online with a fee of 1000/-. Also visit RTO with physical copy of the application and all uploaded docs. Wait for a couple of days, track the status and then print it online. No extra payments to be made. Sometimes follow up may be required to ensure they click the approve button on their keyboards
Thanks, just submitted online smoothly.

Do we need to at all visit the RTO? Did you do it of your volition to hurry things along, or is it mandatory?
Old 6th February 2024, 21:00   #732
BHPian

Finally got my IDP from Bangalore. After bad experience in mangalore this was very positive. Got it done through the local driving school. Change of address and Idp had to be done simultaneously because my address was of mangalore. Submitted all the required documents at around 11:30 gave away few otps around 12:30 and by 2 I received notification that both applications were verified. I was handed over the the new pvc license card and the A4 IDP signed by the rto at 8:30pm. it was very quick and something that I had not expected. I had to shell out 5k for the whole process but I am happy with the results and 0 trips to the rto and a super quick turn around time for the whole process which would have been impossible in any other scenario.

Last edited by blackbandit : 6th February 2024 at 21:02.
Old 12th February 2024, 20:19   #733

I am not able to understand why is it even Mandatory to have the same passport and driving license address.

MY RTO in Mumbai is denying me the IDP based on this.

Could anyone can guide me what can be done about it?
Old 13th February 2024, 21:19   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokrishnahai View Post
I am not able to understand why is it even Mandatory to have the same passport and driving license address.

MY RTO in Mumbai is denying me the IDP based on this.

Could anyone can guide me what can be done about it?
This is something new. I have procured IDP three times in the last 7 years at MH-01 RTO (most recently in Dec 2023) and, on at least one of those occasions, the address on the passport was different from DL. It was never raised as an issue. If I am not mistaken, they put in the address from the passport rather than DL. I would suggest you go and meet with the senior officer responsible for IDP issuance. They are usually more helpful (though you may have to wait to get them in their office) and if you make a rational case, they will accept it.
Old 16th February 2024, 08:38   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
This is something new. I have procured IDP three times in the last 7 years at MH-01 RTO (most recently in Dec 2023) and, on at least one of those occasions, the address on the passport was different from DL. It was never raised as an issue. If I am not mistaken, they put in the address from the passport rather than DL. I would suggest you go and meet with the senior officer responsible for IDP issuance. They are usually more helpful (though you may have to wait to get them in their office) and if you make a rational case, they will accept it.
Hey, Thanks for your reply.

Mine is MH-02. I went to the RTO and had a word with them. They were not ready to process it and told me not to fill out the form as it would get rejected. They asked me either to change the address of my Passport which matched the DL or Vice-versa. When I contacted the central parivahan team for clarity on this, they said, " Every state has its policy". I have been through the Bare Act and government notifications on this. None of those notifications require the address to be the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks