Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2022, 06:30   #601
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Now the new problem, i have applied for renewal of DL, there is no issuing of smart card in Karnataka, they say digital copy of enough, IDP is online, but what to show along with the IDP when abroad, don't think they'll accept the parivahan AAP DL, anyone with similar situation please update. Thanks.
IMO, you may not be able to obtain IDP (Online or over the Counter) without a valid DL. Happened to me. I had applied for renewal of DL in Delhi and was not able to process IDP. As soon as my DL renewal was effected, I was able to process IDP.
If ever required to produce your IDP in foreign land, all you would be required to show would be your Passport with valid Visa.
But after having been through USA and Canada multiple times, the authorities have clearly stated that Indian Driving Licence is valid for driving in their country, as long as it is in English language. So IDP is not mandatory.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 7th June 2022 at 06:33.
Old 12th June 2022, 17:47   #602
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Thanks for the info sir, just wanted to update on the DL renewal, all this online is a huge scam, after waiting for almost 3 months with no news about any development on getting the DL approached the RTO office and got the info that it might take 6 to 8 months of we apply online and don't go visit the office ( BTW after applying there is a instruction on the webpages stating there is no need to visit office in bold fonts) finally is you pay you can get it in 10 days with smart card and all. Not only my case but many other online cases in the same boat.
And yes, there is no need for IDP in USA, Canada and other few countries to get the car but might become a issue if there is a accident. So better be safe than...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
IMO, you may not be able to obtain IDP (Online or over the Counter) without a valid DL. Happened to me. I had applied for renewal of DL in Delhi and was not able to process IDP. As soon as my DL renewal was effected, I was able to process IDP.
If ever required to produce your IDP in foreign land, all you would be required to show would be your Passport with valid Visa.
But after having been through USA and Canada multiple times, the authorities have clearly stated that Indian Driving Licence is valid for driving in their country, as long as it is in English language. So IDP is not mandatory.

Last edited by drkumarmp : 12th June 2022 at 17:49.
Old 8th July 2022, 18:58   #603
BHPian

I just got my IDP issued via an agent in KA-04 Yeshwantpur, Bangalore RTO. I was issued a single A4 paper IDP entirely in english only and not a booklet or card.

Is this english-only single A4 paper IDP the norm these days across all RTOs? Shouldn't the IDP include a translation in many languages?
Old 8th July 2022, 21:51   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post
Is this english-only single A4 paper IDP the norm these days across all RTOs? Shouldn't the IDP include a translation in many languages?
The booklet was printed probably ages ago. The Outer cover used to be falling apart at the fold.
Last year I got IDP with Online application (in New Delhi) and wondered how it would look like till I rceived it.
What I got was the same booklet with A5 size printout bearing all my details and Photograph pasted inside.
I had heard of 'Same old Whiskey in a New Bottle' but was surprised at the new form of IDP.. Modern day Technology wrapped in Old Folder.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 8th July 2022 at 21:53.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:05   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
I have my driver’s license from Delhi and moving to the USA so just wondering if I can do with a IDP for sometime (around one year) and will take time to figure out most of the stuff (cars, roads and how the permits work there) as I will not be arriving there on a tourist visa! If IDP then should I check the parivahan sarathi website or are there other organisations that can help me with the same?
I'm in the same boat. I'll be applying for an Australian Visa next week for further studies and I'm clueless as to how to apply for an IDP.

I'm thinking of contacting an agent as i don't have much free time to run around the RTO but i really don't want to be ripped off either.
Old 11th July 2022, 08:13   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have my driver’s license from Delhi and moving to the USA so just wondering if I can do with a IDP for sometime (around one year)
Which state in the US are you going to? Most allow you to drive on an Indian DL, provided it is in English. Check here: https://www.usa.gov/motor-vehicle-services

Once you're there, you can apply for a DL. Some states need you to have a SSN (which you'll get only if you are working there - either full-time or part-time, as in RA/TA), but there is a workaround. Look it up for your state. I studied in Indiana, which waived off the requirement to take driving classes since I had a foreign DL; some states mandate it regardless.
Old 11th July 2022, 21:02   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'll be applying for an Australian Visa next week for further studies and I'm clueless as to how to apply for an IDP.
Same, I got my US student visa and applied for an IDP online (Parivahan Sarathi website) and got it within a week. It's valid for one year. It was a paperless/faceless process and very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Which state in the US are you going to? Most allow you to drive on an Indian DL, provided it is in English. Check here: https://www.usa.gov/motor-vehicle-services
Thanks! I am going to Arizona. Just checked, I can drive there on an Indian license.
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:11   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Same, I got my US student visa and applied for an IDP online (Parivahan Sarathi website) and got it within a week. It's valid for one year. It was a paperless/faceless process and very easy.
Hey, could you please summarise the steps of the process for me? It would be of great help!

I have a couple of questions:
  • What documents do i need to provide and/or scan and upload them online?
  • Do i need to visit the RTO office at any point?
  • Do i need to upload my flight ticket along with my visa? Or is that not required.
  • How much did it cost?
Old 11th July 2022, 21:28   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Hey, could you please summarise the steps of the process for me? It would be of great help!
Sure.
I don't exactly remember but nothing other than aadhaar card, drivers license and passport. (I think I had to scan and submit a cross-signed copy for the aadhaar card)
In Delhi, they just started faceless KYC and issuance of documents, so you will have to check how that goes in your area.
I had to fill in my visa number and passport details. (I am going to the US but filled details of my Canadian visa and still worked)
It costed 1030 rupees.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 01:00   #610
BHPian

Did anyone apply their IDP through International Traffic Control Association ?

https://www.e-itca.org/

There are three ways to apply for an International Driving Permit:
  1. through Sarathi Parivahan,
  2. from International Traffic Control Association (ITCA) website
  3. and the state RTO site
as per this source:
https://www.kotaksecurities.com/kswe...tak-securities

Their cost seem to be around 3K with normal shipping and seem to be a simple process vs State RTO where it seems preferable to apply in the same RTO where your DL is made and unnecessary documentation among other things. However it will cost a lot lesser around 1K to 2K rupees.

Here is a video of a person who availed this facility:
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 23:09   #611
BHPian

I am planning a 3-week trip to the USA. Will be covering Alaska, California, and Arizona. Can I drive in USA on my Indian DL if I don't have IDP?

a// From what I understand I can drive rented vehicles on Indian DL as it's covered with insurance. Can someone confirm this?
b// I cannot drive a personal vehicle (a friend's owned vehicle) as its existing insurance will not cover me driving using my Indian DL. Is this understanding correct?
Old 23rd July 2022, 02:37   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
There are three ways to apply for an International Driving Permit:
  1. through Sarathi Parivahan,
  2. from International Traffic Control Association (ITCA) website
  3. and the state RTO site
More than three.

I have obtained them from AA of Southern India, and I believe that there is a Northern sister organisation. They do make you take membership (just one payment for life) but the procedure for the IDP is completely hassle free, because they are are "on our side" and whilst they will obey all procedures, they will not make trouble.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:50   #613
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Did anyone apply their IDP through International Traffic Control Association ?

https://www.e-itca.org/
Good find. However the legal status of this IDP is confusing:

Quote:
ITCA international driving document is a plastic ID card supported with barcodes and the domestic driving license QR code information & the booklet that translates your government-issued driver’s license into 15 main languages. Although your driver’s license lets you drive in many foreign countries, the translations in the IDP are intended to minimize language barriers when you drive in countries where your driver's license language is not widely spoken or understood. That’s all an IDP does. It’s not a substitute for a valid, government-issued license.
Edit: Also just discovered/realised that IDL and IDP are two different things?!! Didnt visit the thread history but I assumed they are just words used inter-changeably.

Quote:
Other countries may require you to have an International Driving License (IDL) or an International Driving Permit (IDP) that you drive a private vehicle. Even in the countries mentioned above, keeping an IDP is handy.

Last edited by Ragul : 23rd July 2022 at 12:56.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 20:10   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Edit: Also just discovered/realised that IDL and IDP are two different things?!! Didnt visit the thread history but I assumed they are just words used inter-changeably.
There is no such thing as International Driving License. You are free to drive in multiple countries with Indian diving license. However you need to take International Driving Permit in countries where English is not the primary language and it barely acts as a translation of your driving license. IDP has no validity on its own (without the original license) and its valid only when Indian License and IDP are carried together.
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:17   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish View Post
I am planning a 3-week trip to the USA. Will be covering Alaska, California, and Arizona. Can I drive in USA on my Indian DL if I don't have IDP?

a// From what I understand I can drive rented vehicles on Indian DL as it's covered with insurance. Can someone confirm this?
b// I cannot drive a personal vehicle (a friend's owned vehicle) as its existing insurance will not cover me driving using my Indian DL. Is this understanding correct?
Hi- would appreciate if some one can help me with the second point (B) . Have landed in USA and not sure if I can drive my friends car. No one here is sure either .
For rental it’s quite clear that I can drive one. They are happy to hand it over to me in California atleast

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks