Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 14:42   #556
CDM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Hi,

I am travelling to europe next month, is IDP necessary

I am currently in Europe, Austria to be precise, and have hired cars from Europcar and Avis on my Indian licence without any problems. The licence must however be in English and legible.

CDM
CDM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 09:19   #557
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipDog43 View Post
Instead of the usual (FirstName LastName) format, it is written as (LastNameInitial FirstName). Will this be an issue?
I do not think it will be an issue. As long as it can be matched to name on passport and your license is legible and valid you should be fine.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 13:12   #558
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I do not think it will be an issue. As long as it can be matched to name on passport and your license is legible and valid you should be fine.
Thanks for your reply!
The thing is, it doesn't match with my passport. On my passport, the name is in the normal format. Only my driving license has my name in a weird way.

I am in touch with their reservations team. They will let me know if i can rent with the license or not.
Old 24th July 2019, 22:33   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipDog43 View Post
I am in touch with their reservations team. They will let me know if i can rent with the license or not.
Update: Spoke to their reservations team. They said my license would be accepted. Let's see how things go once I land.
Old 16th August 2019, 11:47   #560
BHPian

Update on the above: My license was accepted despite small issues with the name.
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:01   #561

I am planning to get a rental from Italy and travel through Croatia, Austria as well in ~4 weeks from now.

Reading this thread and elsewhere I understand that I need to get an IDP to be on the legal side of things, even though the rental may give the car without an IDP.

The problem is that my DL is from MP and passport has Bangalore address, so that will cause problems at the RTO.

I read about AA southern India in this thread and checked their site, but they mention explicitly that your DL should show up in parivahan else they cannot help with IDP, and unfortunately mine doesnt show up in parivahan either. Even if it did, I am not sure if they could have helped due to the addresses being different..

What are my options? Could anyone provide a reference to an agent who can help smooth things out.
Old 26th September 2019, 20:16   #562
BHPian

I have used the IDP service at the AASI in Bengaluru multiple times. I have not see them check any records , online or otherwise, atleast not in my presence. Its a fairly simple process and takes 30 minutes. They even arrange a medical cerificate for a nominal fee.
On a different note, while rental agencies do not insist on an IDP, it is safer to have an IDP. In the US even though my Indian licence is valid, when i took my daughters car for a pollution check, , they would not release the car back to me on the basis of my Indian DL. I had to produce my IDL., which fortunately was on my person.
In Europe, where one crosses borders without a second thought, I find it safer to have an IDP , which is what the police recognises.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 21:49   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
I have used the IDP service at the AASI in Bengaluru multiple times. I have not see them check any records , online or otherwise, atleast not in my presence. Its a fairly simple process and takes 30 minutes.
Two questions I have for you in this regard
  1. Are you a life member of AASI ?
  2. Is your DL issued from either Tamilnadu or Karnataka ?

If answer to both of these is "Yes" then that's the reason you were able to use AASI IDP services without any hassles.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 26th September 2019, 23:24   #564
BHPian

Yes, I became a life member as i find it safer to use their services than some random agent. My licence was originally issued in Hyderabad, then the undivided AP, subsequently renewed in Bangalore.
Yes, that may be the reason, though it was not expressly stated when they told me the benefits of becoming a life member/
Old 27th September 2019, 12:32   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I became a life member as i find it safer to use their services than some random agent. My licence was originally issued in Hyderabad, then the undivided AP, subsequently renewed in Bangalore.
Yes, that may be the reason, though it was not expressly stated when they told me the benefits of becoming a life member/
Its quiet clearly stated as condition number 1 in the IDP page of their Website.

Thanks for sharing the info anyway

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 25th November 2019, 11:20   #566

Hi

I have a Haryana(Gurgaon) licence and I am travelling to Dubai end of January 2020. Can anyone help me with the process of procuring IDL, I have tried researching on the internet but nothing good came up. Anyone in similar situation can help ??

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2020, 20:11   #567
Senior - BHPian

I need an IDP in bangalore and felt the RTO costs(agents) is exorbitant. I came across AASI and they seem to have office in Bangalore as well. Charges are less, however I need to pay to become a member.

I wouldn't mind paying if their services are good and reduces my RTO visit time.
Is it worth going for their life membership ? for say, DL renewal, IDP, car re-registration etc.
Old 16th February 2020, 11:24   #568
BHPian

[quote=rajshenoy;4752101]I need an IDP in bangalore and felt the RTO costs(agents) is exorbitant. I came across AASI and they seem to have office in Bangalore as well. Charges are less, however I need to pay to become a member.

I wouldn't mind paying if their services are good and reduces my RTO visit time.
Is it worth going for their life membership ? for say, DL renewal, IDP, car re-registration etc.[/QUOTE

Go for it.
I have been getting my IDPs from them. Its simple, painless, hassle free and across the counter . You get your IDP in about 20 minutes.They will arrange a medical certificate too.
Visit their website and carry copies of the original documents they ask for with the originals.
And yes, you will have to become a member. But its worth it.

TIP: Not easy to find car parking in the vicinity. Park in the SBI , across the road and saunter out as if you are a customer or staff, if you can carry it off.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 11:26   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

How much does it cost to become a member at AASI? Their website seems to be down.
Old 16th February 2020, 12:05   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for it.
I have been getting my IDPs from them. Its simple, painless, hassle free and across the counter . You get your IDP in about 20 minutes.They will arrange a medical certificate too.
Visit their website and carry copies of the original documents they ask for with the originals.
And yes, you will have to become a member. But its worth it.

TIP: Not easy to find car parking in the vicinity. Park in the SBI , across the road and saunter out as if you are a customer or staff, if you can carry it off.
Thanks, Will call them up for details.
Hoping that i can get the membership and IDP in a single visit
I usually take the metro for city centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much does it cost to become a member at AASI? Their website seems to be down.
I saw something like INR 2000. Take a look at their website here
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks