Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 15:27   #481
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,690
Thanked: 2,771 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
I am not sure how it works there, but last time I got an IDP done in Hyderabad, I visited the RTO for 15 mins only and got the IDP the same day evening. This was before the system was changed to make bookings online.
Yeah, So after the online system the process takes longer, Filling the form online, Making the payment you need to wait till they give you a date when you can come down.
Quote:
I just went to the RTO office, filled out the required forms, attached the passport, visa and license copy, paid the required fees and then got a photo captured.
All this took me about 15 mins. Once this was done, I was asked if I would collect the IDP or should they post it. I said that I will come and collect it. They asked me to come back at 3 PM. I went at 3:15 PM to collect it the same day.
No hassles and everything was very easy. I did not talk to any agent nor did I pay a single rupee more than the prescribed fee.
I hope things haven't changed much since then here.

Maybe your last time experience was a one-off experience. It is better to avoid agents in RTO. Might I suggest to give it another shot this time and then if things have not improved, then go ahead with the agent? Just saying. All the best in getting your IDP.
Everything went smoothly apart from 3 things, Basically the final procedures need signatures of 3 of the officers at the RTO for which you have to be present there in front of the officer, Now the only thing annoying was none of the officers were on their seat for hours and hours and nobody knew where they were! To top it off the signatures has to be done in a formation, So till i dont get signature of the first officer the second officer who is still available won't sign it. So this kept on happening.
Tanveer_2558 is offline  
Old 1st March 2018, 17:25   #482
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 94
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yeah, So after the online system the process takes longer, Filling the form online, Making the payment you need to wait till they give you a date when you can come down.
I thought the online process would actually make it simpler and faster. So much for automation and making things online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Everything went smoothly apart from 3 things, Basically the final procedures need signatures of 3 of the officers at the RTO for which you have to be present there in front of the officer, Now the only thing annoying was none of the officers were on their seat for hours and hours and nobody knew where they were! To top it off the signatures has to be done in a formation, So till i dont get signature of the first officer the second officer who is still available won't sign it. So this kept on happening.
This is news to me. I do not remember facing this issue. I was asked to get the signature of the RTO officer who sits in the cabin. When I went to his cabin, he was busy with someone. I knocked, he said to come in. I showed him the papers, he checked, signed and said all good. Please go ahead and submit the papers. Hardly took me about 2 mins for that.

I can understand your frustration. Have seen this happening in some of the State Banks, but that story is for another day.
Unfortunately, looks like agent or WIAA seems to be the best way to get this done without having to run from pillar to post. All the best and do keep us posted on what happened.
get2bid is offline  
Old 1st March 2018, 21:48   #483
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,690
Thanked: 2,771 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
I thought the online process would actually make it simpler and faster. So much for automation and making things online.
It has made it one step easier, But rest of the things largely remain the same, What i also saw during my visit was just soo many people were having trouble to put in applications online, Normal workers, Taxi, Auto drivers have no idea about the online thing and offcourse they cant afford to hire an agent.

Quote:
This is news to me. I do not remember facing this issue. I was asked to get the signature of the RTO officer who sits in the cabin. When I went to his cabin, he was busy with someone. I knocked, he said to come in. I showed him the papers, he checked, signed and said all good. Please go ahead and submit the papers. Hardly took me about 2 mins for that.
Wish mine was the same, Infact one of the officer was not ready to accept the electronic visa, According to him a visa is valid only if its on the passport, Took me good 10 minutes to change his perception.

Quote:
I can understand your frustration. Have seen this happening in some of the State Banks, but that story is for another day.
Unfortunately, looks like agent or WIAA seems to be the best way to get this done without having to run from pillar to post. All the best and do keep us posted on what happened.
Haha yeah, Hoping the next time to be a better experience.
Tanveer_2558 is offline  
Old 26th March 2018, 21:02   #484
BHPian
 
theMandarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Vormir
Posts: 91
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi Everyone,

I have gone through quite a few pages in this thread but a few questions still remain. I was hoping some of you can help clarify.

I am in Germany for sometime and i have come to the understanding that I can drive here legally with my Indian license for 6 months and because the license is in English, I do not need an International Drivers Permit in Europe.

Having said that, here are the queries:
  1. Is the above understanding correct?
  2. Can you point me to some good resources online to learn about the rules and regulations that I must know? I have been observing the traffic here and it gets a bit confusing sometimes when it comes to making turns.
  3. This will vary based on person to person, but how difficult is it to drive for the first time with a left hand drive car?
Thank You (vielen Dank)

Last edited by aah78 : 26th March 2018 at 21:38. Reason: i -> I. Spacing
theMandarin is offline  
Old 27th March 2018, 10:59   #485
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,011
Thanked: 2,292 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
[*]Can you point me to some good resources online to learn about the rules and regulations that I must know? I have been observing the traffic here and it gets a bit confusing sometimes when it comes to making turns.[*]This will vary based on person to person, but how difficult is it to drive for the first time with a left hand drive car?[/list]Thank You (vielen Dank)
Sorry to give you a suggestion which may seem to be rather harsh !

Based on your points 2 & 3 above my humble suggestion is that, please do not atempt to drive there even if the laws permit it - without orienting yourself with nuances of safe driving (which doesnt come with an "Indian License" irrespective of the state its issued from).

My suggestion - join a driving school there and get few lessons before you try it on your own.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Best Regards
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 13:49   #486
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 94
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
..[*]Is the above understanding correct?..
Yes, that is correct. But I would agree with r_nairtvm above. You should join a driving school, even if it is for just a couple of classes, to familiarize yourself with the rules and get comfortable with the left-hand drive.
get2bid is offline  
Old 27th March 2018, 15:59   #487
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,727
Thanked: 16,610 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
My suggestion - join a driving school there and get few lessons before you try it on your own.
Completely agree. After a long time driving in UK, I had to take lessons before I got into driving in India. It was more than just the required signatures for the test: it was genuinely useful and gave me confidence.


If theMandarin is staying long enough in Europe to need to get a local licence, I suspect that a full course of driving lessons would be necessary to pass their driving test.

I hope I never have to take a British test again (My British licence has lapsed). Frankly, I don't rate my chances!
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 27th March 2018, 16:19   #488
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,790
Thanked: 1,204 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
  1. Is the above understanding correct?
  2. Can you point me to some good resources online to learn about the rules and regulations that I must know? I have been observing the traffic here and it gets a bit confusing sometimes when it comes to making turns.
  3. This will vary based on person to person, but how difficult is it to drive for the first time with a left hand drive car?
If you are not confident yourself, I would suggest you to avoid driving in Germany. As long as you don't have any accidents, it is fine. Things turn ugly, if you are involved in one and found to be at fault. That's when things like "Schmerzensgeld", "Schadenersatzanspruch" (Google) come into picture. Sometimes the damages could set you back financially for a LOOOONG time.

Don't want to sound discouraging, I've seen Indians driving here for the first time and managing it somehow, but then they make mistakes too. As I said, as long as you don't have an accident, it should not be that big a problem.

Generally, Driving Schools here don't offer classes for 1-2 hours. But for money people do all kinds of things, ask them.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now  
Old 27th March 2018, 16:54   #489
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,727
Thanked: 16,610 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
... how difficult is it to drive for the first time with a left hand drive car?
Both of the countries I have driven in have been right-hand-drive, so I can't tell you from experience. But I have talked to people in UK about the experience of of driving in mainland Europe. Many, if not all, of them told me that the problem is not at the beginning, when they are constantly concious of what they have to do, but at the point where they begin to be able to stop thinking about it; that's when they make mistakes.

And I am the only person I know with a real reluctance to even try! <Blush>
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 27th March 2018, 21:06   #490
BHPian
 
venuvedam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 139
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
[*]This will vary based on person to person, but how difficult is it to drive for the first time with a left-hand drive car?[/list]
Depends!

I drive both in the US and the UK. Here's what I have experienced.

1. Everything's fine as long as you are cruising on a road. The moment you have to take a turn, there is chaos in the mind - where is the "correct" lane? Which country am I in right now? What is the meaning of life?

2. If you are used to RHD (Righ Hand Drive), your perspective of the lane is tuned that way. When you start driving an LHD car, even when you are in the correct lane and cruising, you tend to stay dangerously close to the right-hand side border of the lane. This is because your mind is telling you to take the right-hand lane markings as the anchor point whereas you should be looking at the left-hand lane markings.

3. Roundabouts - Easy to get confused here. Who has the right of way? (It is the vehicles on your right - if you are in India or the UK and vehicles on your left - if you are in Germany or the US.) Even if you "know" these rules, it takes a split second more for your mind to figure it out when you enter the roundabout. That is enough time to cause an accident.

4. This is not related to LHD vs RHD but do keep in mind that only some of these countries use the metric system. Your car maybe reporting the speed in miles while your mind is thinking in kilometers. So when the speedometer says 70, you tend to hit the accelerator if you are on a freeway! Don't

Finally, I agree with the other posters here. Take a class or two first and familiarize yourself with the driving conditions wherever you are.
venuvedam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 16:35   #491
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 65
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Just got to know that Italy requires IDP if the license is not issued in EU. Can anyone confirm if it is the case only when we rent a car in Italy or even if I rent in Germany but drive through Italy ?

Also, anyone has any experience of getting an IDP from Koramangla RTO ? My DL is issued in Bangalore but my passport is not, don't know if that'll be a problem.
sabby_4c is offline  
Old 1st April 2018, 18:20   #492
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,690
Thanked: 2,771 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
My DL is issued in Bangalore but my passport is not, don't know if that'll be a problem.
Most probably it will be a problem, The address on your passport & your driving licence will have to be the same, Here at the MH RTO this was the biggest requirement they had & there is no other way around it.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 18:58   #493
BHPian
 
akshaymahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 557
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
Just got to know that Italy requires IDP if the license is not issued in EU. Can anyone confirm if it is the case only when we rent a car in Italy or even if I rent in Germany but drive through Italy ?

Also, anyone has any experience of getting an IDP from Koramangla RTO ? My DL is issued in Bangalore but my passport is not, don't know if that'll be a problem.
You need an IDP to drive legally in Italy, so renting from Germany wont help. Generally, the rental agency wont care about an IDP.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 19:00   #494
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 65
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Most probably it will be a problem, The address on your passport & your driving licence will have to be the same, Here at the MH RTO this was the biggest requirement they had & there is no other way around it.
Damn! So what did you do ? My passport is issued in a different state so no chance of making an address correction in my DL :|
sabby_4c is offline  
Old 1st April 2018, 22:35   #495
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,690
Thanked: 2,771 Times
Default Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
Damn! So what did you do ? My passport is issued in a different state so no chance of making an address correction in my DL :|
Mine was on the same address so i had no issues, But the Agent who helped me with the work had said before hand that the address has to be the same & apparently address is what was also checked by the 2 officers at the RTO who's signature was needed. I was firmly told, You CAN'T get a IDP if the address isn't the same on your Licence and passport.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks