Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 05:18   #631
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Just got back from the Rto( mh02) with a rejection for my IDP. Had uploaded all the documents and paid the fees on September 24. When I went to the counter was told to get all the printouts and come back. Clause for rejection he says was the difference in the address of the passport (ka19)and driving licenece. For the last 10 days the status was document under scrutiny,though I really wonder if anything at all even ever happened. The staff at the counter was even brilliant to tell me that I should get the IDP from KA19 ( a rto that has no record of my licence).
Of course touts waiting right there offered to get it done for a "kharcha" of 5000. The break up was 2k for 2 clerks and 1 k for them. Pretty much the age old procedure of harassing people still exists. Another thorn in the seat for the staff at the counter was a genuine medical certificate issued by the District Govt hospital , unfortunately the " only licence stamping doctors" hold higher relevance to the system
chef-de-jeep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 06:43   #632
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Got my Australian VISA on the 14th of October but i gave up on applying for IDP. There's literally no point in applying for it online in Uttarakhand as you still have to do everything offline which is taking all the forms (medical, acknowledgement etc.) to the RTO office and i just don't have the energy for it. Between my classes that start at 3AM Indian Time and getting all the packing done, i just thought that i shouldn't bother with this.

I'll be going to Sydney next weekend. I'll try and update here about the process of acquiring an Australian License.
Old 22nd October 2022, 21:27   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Got my Australian VISA on the 14th of October but i gave up on applying for IDP. There's literally no point in applying for it online in Uttarakhand as you still have to do everything offline which is taking all the forms (medical, acknowledgement etc.) to the RTO office and i just don't have the energy for it. Between my classes that start at 3AM Indian Time and getting all the packing done, i just thought that i shouldn't bother with this.

I'll be going to Sydney next weekend. I'll try and update here about the process of acquiring an Australian License.
I am assuming you are not going on a tourist or business short-term visa. If that is the case, I think the IDP won't work. You will have to get a local DL to be able to drive.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd October 2022 at 05:14. Reason: SMS lingo
dvl666 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd October 2022, 21:30   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvl666 View Post
I am assuming u r not going on tourist or business short term visa. If that is the case I think the IDP wont work. U will have to get a local DL to ve able to drive.
Yes, you're right on the money! My visa is subclass 500 a.k.a student visa. I plan to stay there for a long time plus have a relative with permanent address there. So I'll get a permanent Australian DL or whichever level is highest before I get my PR.
Doonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:25   #635

I am planning to visit Thailand with family next month, and a road trip from Phuket to Krabi is on the itinerary. So I applied for an IDP online via the parivahan website yesterday i.e., 2nd Nov at around 11 PM, and today i.e., 3rd Nov at 11 AM, I got an SMS that the scrutiny was completed and by 3 PM another SMS that the IDP is approved and is being printed.

This was a pleasant surprise. I expected it to take at least a week for verification and issuance, but it happened in just 16 hours! Seems like my RTO is very efficient. Btw my RTO is Ernakulam in Kerala (KL 07).
RohitAK96 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 07:53   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitAK96 View Post
I am planning to visit Thailand with family next month, and a road trip from Phuket to Krabi is on the itinerary. So I applied for an IDP online via the parivahan website yesterday i.e., 2nd Nov at around 11 PM, and today i.e., 3rd Nov at 11 AM, I got an SMS that the scrutiny was completed and by 3 PM another SMS that the IDP is approved and is being printed.

thanks, did you apply with a sticker visa or Thailand's E-visa on arrival?
Old 4th November 2022, 17:50   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
thanks, did you apply with a sticker visa or Thailand's E-visa on arrival?
Do you mean while applying for the IDP? For the IDP, I did not provide any details regarding the visa other than selecting Thailand from the drop-down menu.

I'm planning to apply for E-VOA soon. VOA is 2200 baht, and E-VOA is 2500 baht, so for a slight difference, we may be able to save some time at the airport.
RohitAK96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 20:34   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean while applying for the IDP? For the IDP, I did not provide any details regarding the visa other than selecting Thailand from the drop-down menu.
Oh, means the IDP got issued and collected by you without submitting VISA copy for Thailand?
I was thinking it would not be possible to get IDP on Visa on arrival basis as Visa is a required document.
Old 7th November 2022, 21:25   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Just applied for an IDP online. Last year, I had to follow up by making and appointment and gong for photo and biometrics. This time I dont even see that option. Is it now truly an online only procedure? This is for BLR.
Did you happen to get IDP by applying online in Bangalore?
Old 7th November 2022, 22:00   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

One should be able to get an OTP without even actually going anywhere. No ticket or visa should be necessary.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:12   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One should be able to get an OTP without even actually going anywhere. No ticket or visa should be necessary.
After all, RTO has just to match it with any Indian D/L and issue a Copy and make money.
If they are serious, they should at least take International Traffic Signals knowledge Test. I remember, having learnt all those sometimes in 1979 and obtained IDP for Heavy Vehicles - Just for fun and a Challenge.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:47   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

There was no test of any kind for IDP in Britain, when I last looked, nearly 20 years ago. Of course, on would have passed a British test.
Old 8th November 2022, 14:43   #643
BHPian

Quote:

This was a pleasant surprise. I expected it to take at least a week for verification and issuance, but it happened in just 16 hours! Seems like my RTO is very efficient. Btw my RTO is Ernakulam in Kerala (KL 07).
The online & seamless process like you mention, would really be a blessing.

The IDP / DL should go under the centre like the passport & be the same across the country.

In bombay I got a book IDP in May 2022.
It was a 2 day process with the form, copy of ticket, passport & DL.
Old 9th November 2022, 04:09   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
Oh, means the IDP got issued and collected by you without submitting VISA copy for Thailand?
I was thinking it would not be possible to get IDP on Visa on arrival basis as Visa is a required document.
Yes. I got the IDP without submitting a VISA copy.
RohitAK96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:15   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I got the IDP without submitting a VISA copy.
Thanks for confirming buddy. I was encouraged by your post and filled up the online IDP application until the fees portion. Visited the Gurgaon RTO today , and people guided me to write an application indicating the country I am visiting has Visa on arrival or attach a screenshot of the country/consulate saying so. I have done that, paid the fees and IDP should come on Monday as per them. Each RTO has it's own ways, so hope it helps folks in Gurgaon.
Faramir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks