Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2023, 14:12   #706
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

As per my knowledge, there are more than a dozen countries including USA and UK which allow Indian driving license in card form if all the details are written in English. If going to
any specific country which does not allow, go for the IDL.
Old 13th August 2023, 06:04   #707
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
If it's a country that's not visa on arrival then visa copy has to be uploaded, without which it will be rejected. You can apply after getting the visa, usually it's approved in a day or two and can take printout online.
Are you sure about being able to print it out yourself? As far as I know they need to mail you a copy or you need to collect it from the RTO. Have you done it yourself?
Old 19th August 2023, 13:54   #708
BHPian

I applied for an IDP in the first week of August through Parivahan and received it today by post. I didn't upload the visa as the country I applied for is eligible for visa-on-arrival. The RTO asked for that and then I uploaded the air tickets and mentioned it's a visa-on-arrival country.

I have a few queries:

The IDP I received does not specify any particular country. Does that mean I can use the IDP anywhere for one year?

The initials of my name are expanded in the passport but not on the Driving License and IDP. Is that okay?

Last edited by robincsamuel : 19th August 2023 at 13:55.
Old 19th August 2023, 14:39   #709
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I applied for an IDP in the first week of August through Parivahan and received it today by post. I didn't upload the visa as the country I applied for is eligible for visa-on-arrival. The RTO asked for that and then I uploaded the air tickets and mentioned it's a visa-on-arrival country.

I have a few queries:

The IDP I received does not specify any particular country. Does that mean I can use the IDP anywhere for one year?

The initials of my name are expanded in the passport but not on the Driving License and IDP. Is that okay?
Yes if it is a standard IDP it is valid across the world for 1 year and is accepted as such.
As long as your Driving License and IDP match, you’re good.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 15:47   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

This country-specific, with tickets, visa, etc, is all Indian-RTO invention: the rest of the world won't care about it.

Enjoy your travels!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 10:14   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Hello bhpians, I have an upcoming UAE trip in 7 days and I've been trying to get hold of an IDP before going for the trip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This country-specific, with tickets, visa, etc, is all Indian-RTO invention: the rest of the world won't care about it.
Pretty true. Just to provide an update on my post from June, I applied my IDP in the month of June, with passport proof, address proof and medical certificate - I did not submit a visa at that point. Fast forward, August first week I received an update asking to submit the passport copy again which I did and it got approved a few days back.

Anyways, it has become useless to me now as I already made the trip to UAE and returned back. The process took close to 2 months (so much for Digital India). I had even reached out to a driving school agent in between for the process and he quoted 5k, found it too expensive for an IDP valid 1 year.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 05:58   #712
BANNED

I got my IDP within a day this week. I simply went through my regular agent who has his office in the neighbourhood.

As per the requirements, I submitted Black and white photocopies, one each, of my valid Passport, Visa, Driving license and accompanied these with 1 colour passport photo. Filled up the form mentioning details of name and address and identification marks and all and signed it. The agent prepared the medical certificate details and got it signed off by the local Doctor. The passport photo by the way is for the doctor’s form. Then I sat with the agent and verified all the details which he typed into the portal so as to avoid mistakes in typing passport number and visa number and name spelling and validity dates and all.

I went to the agent at 1130. I left his premises at 12 after submitting and completing all this. He did the online process on the Vaahan Portal and called me for OTP etc a couple of times. During this period I received a few sms updates on the processing status, submitted, approved, prepared etc. Again at 3pm he called me for another OTP so that he could download the IDP and print it for me. I was in meetings hence could only go back to him by 4pm by which time it was ready, stamped and sealed and delivered to me in a simple plastic sleeve. It is no longer an IDP book like those that I used to get earlier. This is just an A4 paper printout. The photo appearing on the IDP is system derived and is the same as the one on one’s original DL along with all the same details as are present in the DL.

The process cost me Rs 5000 and 40 minutes of time over 2 visits, one to submit and one to pick up. Yes, there are less expensive ways of getting the IDP, for example if one does it one’s self or goes via the Automobile Association of Southern India as I used to do earlier, because Im a Life Member of that institution.

However these methods are all time and effort consuming as one has to go to the RTO and figure things out, all of which I prefer not to do. The AASI is in the CBD and one has to reach there and find parking and all the rest of it and do two visits as I have mentioned in an earlier post- one to submit and one to pay and then wait to collect it. All this is highly avoidable in today’s traffic-filled and time-starved world. At least, I simply don’t have the energy or patience to go through all this any more.

My agent, by contrast, is located nearby and he is a very helpful person. He also handles all my car insurance renewals and similar things year on year. As you saw, the whole process of IDP has taken a very short time. So in effect, the considerable time and effort savings and the sheer convenience, makes it all well worth paying a premium for. I also like to support my agent’s local business and enjoy meeting him from time to time and the light ‘banter’ that I indulge in, when I meet him. The ‘personal touch’ I feel, is important.

The IDP is valid for a year and is properly stamped and sealed by the appropriate licensing authority. So I can breathe easy and use it on my travels as needed.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd August 2023 at 06:01.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 11:00   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Are you sure about being able to print it out yourself? As far as I know they need to mail you a copy or you need to collect it from the RTO. Have you done it yourself?
Sorry for the late reply, yes I have taken it in all forms over the many years, back in 2018 it was book form that was off line and had to meet the RTo officer, show all documents & personally collect after few days, later in 2019, it was in A4 paper form which was still off line & collected in person from RTO, later in 2022 post covid it was completely online, applying, uploading all documents and after few days it is ready for download from the website which can be printed and used which once again is in A4 format, this my experiance in Bangalore RTO. But some countries like Japan dont recognise the A4 paper format and need Book form, only way to get that is to approach a Automobile Association of your respective state, here it is AASI, they charge a extra 1000 & give the book form, whicj I have successfully used in Japan and got the rental car from Toyota Rental, and when enqired they clarified that the A4 paper format will be rejected and car not given, risky stuff to find out after you reach there with all the plans of road trip.
Old 25th August 2023, 12:21   #714
Senior - BHPian

There is a MORTH notification related to International Driving Permit. Confusing a bit, talks about India security Press Nashik to be the sole printing press for the International Driving permits. It also talks about a specific format of the IDP. Attached the circular for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MVL-RT1103655-2020-MVL.pdf (714.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 25th August 2023, 13:12   #715
Team-BHP Support

^^

RC / DL cards have become a shitshow in Maharashtra. They finally announced the commencement of printing of cards from 21-Aug, but now have mentioned the printing machines are limited to Aurangabad, Mumbai and Nagpur - which has naturally raised a lot of stink.

Quote:
the decision has been strongly opposed by transport unions, driving schools, and various other transport organisations. The three centres, between themselves, will print RC books and permanent driving licenses for Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) across the state but the decision would lead to delays in getting the smart cards, given the current shortage of smart cards at RTOs across Maharashtra
https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...814894728.html

Several of us in Pune, who've bought cars / applied for transfer of registration or renewal of DL haven't received the new card; and this is for applications going back all the way to at least May. There are also rumours that the new cards will be laminated prints, not a smart card with chip.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th August 2023 at 13:19.
Old 14th October 2023, 09:48   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin is on an official trip to US. He had a tough time getting a rental car as they were not accepting his DL issued as per the new format. They said they couldn't verify it. Although another rental did provide him the car after he showed his return ticket. Has anyone faced similar issue with the new One India One DL card?

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-img_20231014_094709.jpg

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-img_20231014_094541.jpg
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 20:31   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I got my IDP within a day this week. I simply went through my regular agent who has his office in the neighbourhood.
@shankar.balan, I am traveling on the 23rd of this month, need to get the IDP made, was supposed to do it this week, but in all the excitement of getting the Jimny, totally missed it.. Just remembered

If you're okay to, can you please share the contact of the agent, thank you.
Old 28th December 2023, 18:44   #718
BHPian

Is it possible to get the IDP in the booklet format at Bangalore RTOs? I was issued only a single page e-document which looks questionable. I am not sure the local authorities in a few countries abroad would recognize this format. I got it for my recent trip to Indonesia and I was not stopped anywhere, so I don't know if it is acceptable or not. I thought of asking any local officer while concluding my trip, but I did not find the time. Can anybody share if the single page IDP issued by our local RTOs acceptable in Japan?
Old 28th December 2023, 19:17   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My cousin is on an official trip to US. He had a tough time getting a rental car as they were not accepting his DL issued as per the new format. They said they couldn't verify it. Although another rental did provide him the car after he showed his return ticket. Has anyone faced similar issue with the new One India One DL card?
I expect this to be a problem going forward. The earlier format had the full form of the abbreviations for the class of vehicle (eg. LMV = Light Motor Vehicle, MCWG = Motorcycle with Gear) as so on, which helped rental agencies understand the DL.

I don't think they're going to be too pleased with deciphering the DL based on images of the class of vehicle. When I first rented a vehicle in the US, I provided a scan of the just the front of the DL and they rejected it, saying they didn't know what LMV stood for. A quick scan of the rear side where it was detailed helped, and the car was issued.

Most times, it solely depends on the mood/understanding of the agent; but say, you're in an incident where a cop needs to verify your DL, you may be in massive trouble.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 19:51   #720
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOnSpeed View Post
Is it was issued only a single page e-document which looks questionable. I am not sure the local authorities in a few countries abroad would recognize this format. I share if the single page IDP issued by our local RTOs acceptable in Japan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
@shankar.balan, I am traveling on the 23rd of this month, need to get the IDP made, i

If you're okay to, can you please share the contact of the agent, thank you.
@highonSpeed;
The single page e document printout was accepted in the EU in September 2023 when I rented vehicles there. No questions asked.

@hsakarp
I am.sorry I only saw this message just now.
For future reference the phone number of Vinuth the agent is +91 73491 02304.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks