Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 10:39   #676
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So, no IDP or attestation required?
I can just get off at langkawi airport, and go to a hire desk with my Delhi issued license, its in english, and hire a car?

You can drive with Indian License as long as there is text in English on it. You have a period of 90 days to drive with this license, as a tourist. I did not bother about IDP or attestation. My requirement was very simple. I registered on the SOCAR app and uploaded my license for verification, got through and began renting cars and making payments. Never once got stopped by a cop for anything.

Langkawi is even more chilled. I hardly saw cops around. In fact our AirBnB was right opposite the Langkawi police station and there was nobody in sight. We managed to hire a Nissan Almera from the AiBnB guy for cheap, it was his friend's. Suggest you dont hire from the airport or rentals as costs could be high. Try to get it from the locals!

Last edited by alstonlobo : 13th June 2023 at 10:42.
Old 16th June 2023, 19:00   #677
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hello bhpians, I have an upcoming UAE trip in 7 days and I've been trying to get hold of an IDP before going for the trip. I hold a Karnataka driving licence which was issued out of Bangalore Yesvantpur RTO couple of years back, however the address on the DL is my permanent address in Kerala (some jugaad agent was able to pull this through while most agents said it is not possible).

I applied for IDP online on the Sarathi portal on 12th June with Form 1A Medical Fitness Certificate, Passport Copy and current DL. I paid 1000 on the same day for the application after which the documents have been showing as Pending scrutiny. Can anyone let me know how long does this process take? Also, I did hear from a few sources that the Passport Copy and the Driving Licence needs to have matching address - is this really required? Even though both the document have my permanent residence back in Kerala, the street address on both the document is different even though the postal service recognizes both these street addresses.

I do not have much hopes of getting hands on one due to above concerns but I would be glad if it gets approved and issued. Is there anyway I could follow-up or check the status of this? Any contacts or agents who could get this done at Yesvantpur RTO works as well. I have a lot of things to wrap at work before leaving for the trip, so visiting the RTO in-person and enquiring about the status (not sure if it'd work) may not be possible.
Old 23rd June 2023, 01:53   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Hello bhpians, I have an upcoming UAE trip in 7 days and I've been trying to get hold of an IDP before going for the trip.
The name on passport and the name on DL needn't really match. Mine in DL was initials however in Passport it's completely expanded.

Sarathi is the only option, however what I did was register with AA of South India and they issued a IDP booklet which I used to hire and drive around UAE. ',

Last edited by aah78 : 21st July 2023 at 03:16. Reason: Quote trimmed. '.'
KartikBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 10:16   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
For me it took 2 weeks for it to go to next step from scrutiny (ARTO approval) and another week from there. This was in KR Puram Bangalore.

I was told that the delay is due to upcoming elections and most of the RTO staff are on election duty
More than a month and still have not got IDP. The website shows this:
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-screenshot_2023062310125854_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Do I have to go to RTO or wait for them to show that IDP is available for download?

Last edited by aah78 : 21st July 2023 at 03:17. Reason: Alignment, spacing, typos fixed.
Old 23rd June 2023, 10:23   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
More than a month and still have not got idp. The website shows this Attachment 2467422
Do I have to go to RTO or wait for them to show that I DP is available for download?
I think it says printing IDP. in my case RTO told that they are not sending it home and I will have to print it myself. You can check in parivahan website (Under Driving License -> IDP Print License) and download the PDF/print it
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:09   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it says printing IDP. in my case RTO told that they are not sending it home and I will have to print it myself. You can check in parivahan website (Under Driving License -> IDP Print License) and download the PDF/print it
There is no field - > IDP print.
My question is will the website show "download /print IDP" when it is ready? Because as I have shown above, it is still under process at RTO where it is "PRINTING IDP FOR DL". Which is something I don't understand.

Last edited by goandude : 23rd June 2023 at 11:11.
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:49   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
There is no field - > IDP print.
My question is will the website show "download /print IDP" when it is ready? Because as I have shown above, it is still under process at RTO where it is "PRINTING IDP FOR DL". Which is something I don't understand.
Webpage looks like this for me and I could download my IDP from here. Hope this helps.

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-screenshot-20230623-11.47.50-am.png
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:41   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Webpage looks like this for me and I could download my IDP from here. Hope this helps.

Attachment 2467439
Thanks a ton, it really helped me. Downloaded it.
Old 25th June 2023, 09:08   #684
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikBN View Post
The name on passport and the name on DL needn't really match. Mine in DL was initials however in Passport it's completely expanded.

Sarathi is the only option, however what I did was register with AA of South India and they issued a IDP booklet which I used to hire and drive around UAE
What is the validity of that IDP? Do you need a new one annually like from the RTO?
Old 25th June 2023, 15:59   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
What is the validity of that IDP? Do you need a new one annually like from the RTO?
In my experience, which has not been updated for a decade, IDPs are always one-year validity.
Old 25th June 2023, 17:51   #686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Thad mentioned, the IDP is valid for a year.

You can apply for a fresh one when your current IDP is set to expire, but you need to submit documentation again, which includes a valid visa, flight tickets among other things. Depending on which country this is for, applying for a DL at the host country might work out better.
Old 2nd July 2023, 00:52   #687
BHPian

Quote:
IDPs are always valid for 1 year. If the expiry of your DL is less than 1 year then it'll take the same expiry of the DL
KartikBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 06:36   #688
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikBN View Post
IDPs are always valid for 1 year. If the expiry of your DL is less than 1 year then it'll take the same expiry of the DL
As you say, International Driving Permits are valid for a year at the outside - max.
Even if you take an IDP by showing your Schengen Visa which, for example might be valid for 6 months, the IDP will be valid for a year.
Even if you apply for an IDP by showing a 10 year Visa they will still issue one which is valid for a year.
To get the IDP it is mandatory to undergo a medical examination and get a signed certificate.
(But this being India, if you go through an agent, for example, it is treated more like a ‘formality’ than otherwise.)

I used to get mine through the Automobile Association but its become a bit of a pain to take the time to go there and find parking and all. They are only open on weekdays and for half a day on Saturdays. So one has to make time and plan, considering their mid town CBD location.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd July 2023 at 06:39.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 14:42   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even if you apply for an IDP by showing a 10 year Visa they will still issue one which is valid for a year...
In GB, one can only use foreign license plus IDP for twelve months, after which a local licence must be obtained. There may well be a similar limit in other countries. I have a feeling the same applies to incomers here in India. (where I wasted my British IDP months plucking up the courage to drive here! Gosh that seems very distant now )

That's probably more relevant to the emigration thread, as I think most people here are talking of limited business/pleasure trips. But I thought I'd throw it in

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd July 2023 at 14:44.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 13:40   #690
BHPian

Does IDP still require medical certificate? I thought the online process had done away with both entering visa information as well as uploading medical certificate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks