Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 14:07   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
I'm trying to apply for an IDP online, for the Jayanar Bangalore RTO (KA05). In my case, the process is offline at multiple steps - 1. Get medical form 1A attested by a doctor, upload it online, and then 2. RTO appointment offline.

Any leads on where I can get form 1A stamped around Jayanagar? I went to the RTO assuming I'll find an agent/doctor there, but found no one!
You will mostly find some clinic near RTO(try asking the local Xerox shops etc).

Do you have a smart card ? in that case process should be completely online. In my case I got it done last week from KR PURAM RTO and though it took 3 weeks, I did not have to visit the RTO. I ended up calling the RTO few times and eventually it got approved. Overall happy with digital process but better to get it done well in advance
Old 24th April 2023, 14:05   #662
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

My IDP is expiring on 10/5/23. I have an upcoming trip on 3/5/23 to the UAE and US. I checked on the Parivahan site to apply for the IDP at the Chennai Central RTO. The process is based on the existing D/L. when I enter the details the services available for my D/L it shows only change of address. For issuing IDP it says service will be available once D/L backlog is cleared. Don’t know what that means.

Anyone have any idea on to get an IDP before the last one expires?
Old 25th April 2023, 16:11   #663
BHPian

Driving with Indian drivers license in Schengen countries - France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany

Asking for a friend planning a Europe trip:

"I'm reading confusing requirements on the web, and different needs in each of the above. Has anyone recently driven in any of the above countries with Indian DL? What all documents did you carry? How was the experience overall?"
Old 26th April 2023, 09:17   #664
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving with Indian drivers license in Schengen countries - France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Asking for a friend planning a Europe trip:
In Germany you can drive with Indian driving license (though the rental agency was quite shocked by the pre-historic look of my Kerala driving license). I believe in Austria and Italy, an IDP is required.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th April 2023 at 07:28.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:21   #665
Senior - BHPian

I applied for an IDP online on 2/5 after uploading Form 1A (Doc certificate), my DL, Passport front and last page and Voters ID, all in PDF and less than 500KB. My RTO is KA03 Kasturi Nagar.

Status shows "in scrutiny" till now. In some previous posts, seen that it comes much quicker than this. Hopefully it happens.

Anyone with recent experience?
Old 4th May 2023, 13:37   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
My IDP is expiring on 10/5/23. I have an upcoming trip on 3/5/23 to the UAE and US. I checked on the Parivahan site to apply for the IDP at the Chennai Central RTO. The process is based on the existing D/L. when I enter the details the services avail able for my D/L it shows only change of address. For issuing IDP it says service will be available once D/L backlog is cleared. Don’t know what that means.

Anyone have any idea on to get an IDP before the last one expires?
Yeah, i too am in the same situation, after lots of
Exploring found out that backlog is all about not issuing another IDP while one is still valid, even the money i spent in automobile association gone for waste as i became a member only for the IDP to Japan in book form while they said it's not possible for them to apply for a new IDP while my old one made with US visa is valid.
Don't know what the hell is wrong with this entire system, if one IDP is valid world over AASI should be able to issue a booklet based on the one that already available, if that's not the case government should allow us to make as many IDP as well want as long as we have the visas for those countries.
Don't know if the IDP issued by the RTO will be accepted in Japan, it's a A4 size sheet with the mention on 1949 and the catagory of vertical as per Geneva convention. Can't get any information on anyone who's ever visited Japan and hired a rental car with a IDP issued by RTO.
Old 4th May 2023, 13:44   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am trying to get an IDP and thinking of exploring online portal as the agent I know is quoting 5000 for the same. If it is indeed online, then worth trying

They are still asking for a form 1A which is a manual step.
No, once you apply for the IDP on the right side in blue text underlined it will show print form
There you can print the A1 , sign if and scan and upload, even medical form is available with you application number printed on the right side, take Print, get medical doctor to sign and upload. Upload, visa, pamper, DL etc and done.
Old 4th May 2023, 14:50   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I applied for an IDP online on 2/5 after uploading Form 1A (Doc certificate), my DL, Passport front and last page and Voters ID, all in PDF and less than 500KB. My RTO is KA03 Kasturi Nagar.

Status shows "in scrutiny" till now. In some previous posts, seen that it comes much quicker than this. Hopefully it happens.

Anyone with recent experience?
For me it took 2 weeks for it to go to next step from scrutiny (ARTO approval) and another week from there. This was in KR Puram Bangalore.

I was told that the delay is due to upcoming elections and most of the RTO staff are on election duty
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:39   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The AASI no longer issue IDPs since it went on line so don’t waste your money
Reply from Toyota car rental in Japan for my query with regard to IDP issued by RTO in India.

Thank you very much for choosing TOYOTA Rent A Car SAPPORO.

Regarding your inquiry, you must apply for International Driving Permit in India and English version is acceptable in Japan.
However, we have an experience that some customers from India didn't have a correct IDP.
It has to be issued by a signatory to the 1949 Geneva convention and the official automobile association in India can issue.
Incomplete document or incorrect format of IDP is not acceptable to rent a car.
https://www.toyotarentacar.net/english/guide/license/
https://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.lg...ses/index.html

Please be sure to apply for a correct one to drive a car in Japan.

Best Regards,
Ms.Izumi Takahashi

Then i sent them a copy of the IDP we get online from RTO in A4 sheet print.

Reply for that..
We are afraid that we cannot accept this format of IDP to rent a car from us.
It has to be boxes next to your face photo and has a stamp on B Box.
I understand that you can drive B category of vehicle, however the format is incorrect based on Geneva Convention.

Please ask the issuing authority of driving license in India for International Driving Permit to drive a car in Japan.
They will issue a correct format for Japan, because our customer have a valid one.

Best Regards,
Ms.Izumi Takahashi

This is another branch of Toyota car rental for the same question

Thank you for contacting Toyota rent a car Nagoya.

If you have an international driver's license issued by the Indian government, you can drive as it is a member of the Geneva Convention.
We think it's basically a paper material, but are there other forms?

Sincerely,

TOYOTA Rent a Car NAGOYA

Then i sent them a copy of the IDP we get online from RTO in A4 sheet print.

Replay for the image sent.

Thank you for attaching the image.

We checked the photos and looked it up, but we can't judge it because it's different from the style we know.
Please contact the issuer of your international driver's license or the competent authority.
We are sorry that we can't help you.

It looks like your license has expired.
please note.

Sincerely,

TOYOTA Rent a Car NAGOYA

Thank you again sir for your reply and taking the time. I will try to get the other form if possible, i would be grateful if you can send me the email address of the government agency that enforces these rules so that i can repeat them to take into consideration for the future generations in promoting tourism in Japan, i have travelled to many countries with this form of IDP and there was no issue there.

Japan is a dream for many, hope we can make it so everyone gets to enjoy this lovely country in their own ways.

Regards,

drkumarmp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:46   #670
BHPian

Re: Driving with Indian drivers license in Schengen countries - France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In Germany you can drive with Indian driving license (though the rental agency was quite shocked by the pre-historic look of my Kerala driving license). I believe in Austria and Italy, an IDP is required.
Same happened to me in UAE as well. Other states in India also i have seen people confused seeing our laminated old Kerala license.
I have applied for the new smart card DL replacement. Waiting for the new one to reach. Dont want to defame Kerala anywhere in the world
joe angelo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 07:52   #671
BHPian

I just applied for the Change of Address + IDP in one application. Uploaded the docs and did my eKYC with Aadhaar. Made the payment.

I have a doubt.

The medical certificate was signed by a doc in a gov. hospital. Will it be accepted? Any experiences, especially from folks in Bangalore? Applied with KA03 RTO.

Edit: I must clarify, the change of address was merely the change of flat number, nothing else or major.

Last edited by Smartomotive : 27th May 2023 at 07:52. Reason: Add notes
Old 7th June 2023, 17:31   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Exploring found out that backlog is all about not issuing another IDP while one is still valid,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
. For issuing IDP it says service will be available once D/L backlog is cleared. Don’t know what that means.
This error is not limited to IDP, but is shown when you try to register any new service in parivahan portal while a existing application is open.

One thing what you can do is to cancel the old / not required request and apply the new service that you want. That will remove this error page.

You can use the 'Service withdraw' option in the site for that.

Link
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 14:27   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksk88 View Post
Thank you @alstonlobo, I will definitely share my experiences after returning later this month
So, were you able to, without an IDP?
Old 11th June 2023, 18:31   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
You can drive with Indian license in Malaysia without IDP.
Before we visited Malaysia in 2018, I did my research regarding this. I found out about SOCAR app which lets you book self drive rental cars from designated spots. Check on YouTube for their videos. Once you get hold of a Malaysian SIM card, the OTP process will finalise the installation. Verify your identity on the app and upload the pictures of your driver's license and your account is verified within 24 hours. I booked several cars within the 12 days we were there and the process was seamless and not once did we get stopped by cops or any authorities.
However there is a competitor app known as GOCAR and their website asks for IDP, perhaps its for universal users and not filtered as per country.
Let me know how it worked in your favor.
So, no IDP or attestation required?
I can just get off at langkawi airport, and go to a hire desk with my Delhi issued license, its in english, and hire a car?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 19:29   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So, no IDP or attestation required?
I can just get off at langkawi airport, and go to a hire desk with my Delhi issued license, its in english, and hire a car?
Anyhow, confirmed with a local rental company that only DL is required.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks