Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 15:24   #691
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In GB, one can only use foreign license plus IDP for twelve months, after which a local licence must be obtained. There may well be a similar limit in other countries. I have a feeling the same applies to incomers here in India. (where I wasted my British IDP months plucking up the courage to drive here! Gosh that seems very distant now )

That's probably more relevant to the emigration thread, as I think most people here are talking of limited business/pleasure trips. But I thought I'd throw it in
Given the hoops I'll have to jump in order to get a DL from India (I never held an LMV DL from India, and learned to drive in Sweden), I'll likely have to get an IDP issued by a Swedish car club, based on my Swedish DL, in order to legally drive in India. I did see that it's possible to get IDP here that's valid for both 1 year and 3 years, but not sure if the 3 year version is accepted in India.
Old 11th July 2023, 18:24   #692
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi all, I have DL which has address of Jaipur and currently I am residing in Mumbai. If I apply for international Driving License where should I apply it for smooth processing?
Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 22:42   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Given the hoops I'll have to jump in order to get a DL from India (I never held an LMV DL from India, and learned to drive in Sweden)
One of the things most wailed and ranted about on this site is how easy it is to get a driving licence. Having to jump through a hoop? If only they would make it that difficult!

No hoops. Or, at least, very few.

Quote:
I'll likely have to get an IDP issued by a Swedish car club, based on my Swedish DL, in order to legally drive in India.
Yes, do that, so you can drive from day one. But if you are going to live here, best get a local licence.
Old 11th July 2023, 22:48   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No hoops. Or, at least, very few.
The hoop in this case being holding the LL for at least 30 days, but not more than 6 months, making it very hard to time my visits, given I don't generally stay longer than 30 days at a time. No plans of returning to India for good, but it's nice (and cheaper in the long run!) to have an Indian DL than to pay for a new IDP on each visit.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st July 2023 at 02:34. Reason: Quote trimmed.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 01:37   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
The hoop ...
Ahh, OK. I must have missed something and was thinking you were coming back long-term.
Old 17th July 2023, 15:52   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Does IDP still require medical certificate? I thought the online process had done away with both entering visa information as well as uploading medical certificate.
Has anybody got IDP successfully without the medical certificate?
Old 18th July 2023, 10:03   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Has anybody got IDP successfully without the medical certificate?
My brother got IDP last month from KL, process was completely online. Just that his friend went and collected the IDP in person from the RTO since if they send it via post it may have taken couple of days additionally.

He had to upload Medical certificate, visa, passport details. In case you are going to a visa on arrival nation, you can upload flight tickets instead of visa as per RTO personnel.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 00:48   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

This visa/ticket business is a pure invention of India RTO --- or of its officers?

A person may wish to have an IDP. If they go abroad, they may make use of it. It is valid for 12 months: the hold might travel anytime, anywhere, during that time.

There was no such requirement when I got IDPs through AASI, and there was no such requirement when I got an IDP in my mother country.

PS. Oh, the medical certificate too. Pretty sure GB doesn't want one, but yes I did have to give for ASSI.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th July 2023 at 00:53.
Old 20th July 2023, 10:52   #699
BHPian

So I applied for IDP yesterday and received it by evening today. It's still not the booklet but a legal size green paper with my license details, allowed vehicle classes and disqualification section to record disqualification. No hologram, just a seal of the RTO and the sign of some officer.

They have also mentioned allowed countries (the country I'm traveling to and hold flight ticket). Since country of travel is Visa On Arrival, visa number has my passport number and my blood group is wrong. I have no clue why spent time and money on this when I expect some scrutiny if at all any law enforcing agency decides to check my IDP.

RTO: TN22, Meenambakkam, Chennai
vijai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 00:29   #700
BHPian

I applied for IDL and change of address two days back through Parivahan portal but till now the application is stuck in ‘pending’ mode. Also, I have not filled in the Visa details as I have not got my Visa till now, will that be an issue? In case they reject because of this reason do I need to apply again and pay the fee again?
PS :- The country I am visiting doesn’t have Visa on arrival for Indians.

Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2023, 07:42   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
I applied for IDL and change of address two days back through Parivahan portal but till now the application is stuck in ‘pending’ mode. Also, I have not filled in the Visa details as I have not got my Visa till now, will that be an issue? In case they reject because of this reason do I need to apply again and pay the fee again?
PS :- The country I am visiting doesn’t have Visa on arrival for Indians.

Thanks.
If it's a country that's not visa on arrival then visa copy has to be uploaded, without which it will be rejected. You can apply after getting the visa, usually it's approved in a day or two and can take printout online.

It will not be rejected, it'll come back as missing documents and you can upload the visa copy and it'll be done.

Address change is a whole different case, it takes time and even more time to get the new DL with the new address that matches the one in passport, only after that you can upload the picture of the new DL for IDP application.

Of course there will be difference from state to state and RTO to RTO.
Old 24th July 2023, 13:53   #702
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am facing a strange and unique issue when trying to use the online IDP Application process.
When entering my license number which was renewed in Bangalore in 2021 for 10 years, it says the number is not in the Central Repository and that I have to apply in person at the RTO for the IDP.
It is easy enough to meet my Doctor and get a fitness medical certificate. But if I have to go through an RTO agent to get the IDP the cost is Rs 5000/- which includes the 1000 Rs actual fee plus various ‘facilitation’ fees. This seems quite high.
I am now going to also check with the Automobile Association of Southern India what their latest charges are for this service. Perhaps I will just use their services since Im anyway a Life Member there.
Old 24th July 2023, 14:46   #703
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Part 2:
So I have checked with AASI also. First they said I need to first fill a Backlog entry form and ask the RTO to ensure they upload my License into the Central Repository. Then they re-checked the Parivahan site and thankfully they found my details are present in the Central Repository. Looks like this is more of an iOS / Browser issue. Most govt sites are never configured for iOS users and that is probably why when I checked the site it returned an error.
AASI say that I should apparently only apply for IDP through AASI 15 days prior to the trip. Because this way, the later I apply, I get the advantage of the max validity period. (1 year from date of issue of IDP.)
Documents required are;
License Colour print front and back on same sheet of paper
Passport Colour print front and back on same sheet of paper.
Aadhaar card copy
3 passport photos
And of course despite my being a Life Member they need to verify all the documents - see the originals and compare the copies.

There is a.Form 1A medical certificate whixh also has to be filled and duly signed and stamped by a registered medical practitioner where he has to sign across the photo pasted on the form.

AASI can also get the medical certificate done on payment of Rs 250/- fee.
IDP Fees Rs 1000/-
AASI Booklet Fee Rs 1180/-

Time taken is two days from submission and two visits if one is getting them to do the uploading and medical form; one for submission and verification and processing time for the medical certificate and the second for uploading and online payment in person.
And they also said that the parivahan portal acts up sometimes and the payment fails and all. This can also be a big time-waster.
AASI is located in the CBD. They work till 1pm on Saturdays. One has to suffer the traffic and inconvenience and make the effort to reach them, find parking and then go up and meet them and get the process started. And one has to do this twice because one has to pay the fee online and that cannot be done using ones card in absentia.

If I go through AASI the cost is 2500/- ish plus the time and effort. If I do it myself online I shall need a Windows machine with IE Browser or similar but it will cost only the Rs 1000 IDP fee and a little bit of effort in getting the medical certificate Form 1A from my doctor nearby.

Question really is, in this scenario, what is actually of a higher priority and is more important; the time and effort or the money.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th July 2023 at 14:52.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 12:10   #704
Senior - BHPian

Applied for IDP through parivahan. In some states you don't need to visit an RTO as the entire process in online, but in Maharashtra, you have to for document verification. Despite that, I'm pleasantly surprised with the seamless experience.

Applied for the process online, paid the fee (Rs 1,000) and visited the Tardeo RTO (MH01) this morning. The medical declaration form needs to be signed and stamped by a medical practitioner (plenty of them available right outside the RTO gate) - paid Rs 250 for the same. Reached the IDP window at the RTO with the following documents:
1. Medical form duly signed and stamped
2. Application form
3. Passport copy (along with original for verification)
4. Driving license copy (along with original for verification)
5. Visa/Ticket copy
6. Payment receipt
7. 3 photographs

Had to shuttle between 2 cabins for document verification and approvals, but all in all it was quite straightforward. The whole process took around 25mins, and my IDP is expected to be made available at the RTO in 24 hours.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 13:46   #705
BHPian

So apparently in Maharashtra you need to have Maharashtra address on your passport to become eligible for applying for IDP from Mumbai.

I applied for change of address and IDL through Parivahan site. Paid around 1600 for the same. Went to the RTO and the guy tells me to withdraw my application since I have applied for Change if address in DL and IDP in the same application

Moreover, he said I need to get my address updated in the passport and it has to be the same as my DL. And to my utter shock they refused to reject my application in Parivahan portal and asked that I withdraw the application. Also, he says there is no mechanism to get my 1600 bucks back.

With all the claims that migration is good for the country, these issues are really a pain for common man!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks