Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 17:10   #346
BHPian

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thank you Sir. This is the route provided by you.
Attachment 1685260

Gmaps is showing one more route :
Attachment 1685261

In your opinion which one will be better road condition wise?
I went early this year to Ghati Subrahmanya. While going I went by the route which goes near Makalidurg railway station and took right from there. After this right, the road was very poor upto the temple (about 2 to 3 kms).

While coming back, I took the other route which is the standard route - where you cross the railway gate near Oddarahalli Station. This road is in much better shape. The stunning video posted by procrj seems to be from this section of the road. I would recommend this route for both onward and return journey. While going to temple, you proceed on SH9, after crossing T B Cross in Doddaballapura, you will reach Kantanakunte Cross. Here, you will see a right turn to Ghati temple. There is a signboard with directions in English. You cannot miss it.
Have a wonderful darsan.
And do post some pics

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th November 2017 at 13:15.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:03   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

It was the weekend of the Diwali Holiday and with the festivities done and dusted, we were thinking what to do over the weekend. The usual ‘mall and play zone’ visit thought came up but having visited all usual places multiple times and having spent a lot of money on substandard ‘play zones’, was not really in the mood to repeat that.

A friend had told us about a farm they had visited-Chiguru Farms around 50km from Bangalore and we suddenly remembered that. Sounded like a good way to spend the day.

From the Website of Chiguru Farms

Quote:
Chiguru Farm is a 25 acre active farm land that is situated on the fringes of the Bilikal Forest on the south of Bannerghatta National Park. It is an hour and a half drive from the south of Bangalore, located at a distance of 45km from the NICE Road and Kanakpura Road Junction. The farm perimeter is protected by a solar fence to keep the occasional wild animals out. The primary crops cultivated here are banana, mango, lemons, coconuts, aracenut & roses. The farm also has a wide variety of fruit trees. Seasonal veggies are also cultivated here.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-map.png
  • On the Karnataka-Tamilnadu border around 12 km from Harohalli on Kanakpura Road. Can be approached via 2 routes as the map below indicates.
  • The standard route is via Kanakpura Road- Harohalli- take left to the Thally Road and go around 12 km to reach the farm
  • For folks starting from the Sarjapur/Whitefield area or for looking for a more scenic drive, the recommended route is Chandapura(Hosur Road)- Anekal- Thally- Chiguru Farms.
  • Since we were starting from Sarjapur Road, route 2 was a no brainer. Ensured that we don’t enter the city limits at any point.
  • Roads were very good and traffic was sparse. Only within Anekal Towns roads were bad and was congested.

Key Points about the farm
  • A proper running farm. Not to be confused with a resort.
  • Started with mango picking tours during the summer and also educational tours for kids on farming and practices, since the last year open for family trips.
  • There is a provision for overnight stay.
  • Only vegetarian food- Focusing on traditional Karnataka Cuisine.
  • Run by Mr Raghu- who along with his partners purchased this 10 years back. Mr Raghu, who was in the software industry for ~20 years is now full time into running this.
  • Variety of fruit bearing trees is the main attraction. The farm tour is focused on giving an overview of the farming practices and techniques and also includes fruit picking activities. This of course depends on the season and timing. At this time, there was not much of fruits ready to pick as it was mostly flowering time.
  • Some friendly cows, goats, sheep add to the excitement for kids
  • Post lunch some traditional games organized.
  • Charges: Rs 800 for adults and 550 for kids over 6 years. Includes breakfast, lunch, evening tea and a mid-morning juice. Picked fruits can be taken. (During Mango season- Mango picking tours are organized where one pays for the picked magoes).

Some pictures. Was not really planning to post. Hence did not focus on taking too many pics. So many are from within car and some are from the dash cam.

The Chandapura- Anekal Road
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20171023-7.43.51-pm.jpeg

The Thally-Harohalli Road.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-screenshot_20171023182246941_com.google.android.apps.photos.png

Thanks to the recent rains. Several full lakes/tanks.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-screenshot_20171023182306600_com.google.android.apps.photos.png

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-screenshot_20171023182210932_com.google.android.apps.photos.png

Interestingly in this route, you cross over to Tamilnadu and then cross back into Karnataka. The point in the below pic where the road color changes is the border.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20171023-7.41.55-pm.jpeg

Entrance to the Farm

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20171023-7.41.54-pm.jpeg

The main building. Looks old- but actually built a year back using the traditional materials hence giving a rustic look.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_2965.jpg

I think hes the farm dog. Was not very happy at the intrusion

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_2966.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_2964.jpg

Breakfast of Thatte Idli and Kesari. Was excellent

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171022_094816.jpg

Lunch consisted of Akki Roti, Ragi Mudde, Bise belle baath with the associated items served on a banana leaf on the floor (tables also available of course). Apologies for the messy picture.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171022_134718.jpg

Some random pics of the farm lands

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20171023-7.41.52-pm.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_2978.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171022_112554.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171022_125421.jpg

A day well spent

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20171023-7.41.50-pm.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20171023-7.41.56-pm.jpeg

Overall a pleasant trip. The drive via Anekal-Thally was pretty good and one of the highlights of the trip. Mr Raghu was quite knowledgeable and was with us the whole time. A good break from the typical resorts and outings that one encounters. For adults who come from small towns and villages, a lot of these are things we would have experienced by default in our childhood. But good fun for kids and a bit of nostalgia for adults who have experienced all this long back.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd October 2017 at 21:21.
Rajeevraj is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 13:11   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive to Jayamangali black buck reserve sometime next month. Anyone here been there recently? Is it worth the drive and do you actually get to see black bucks?
Old 26th November 2017, 21:56   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to drive to Jayamangali black buck reserve sometime next month. Anyone here been there recently? Is it worth the drive and do you actually get to see black bucks?
Not recently, did it some two years or so back. Did spot few black bucks, but then they are really shy and very difficult to get a closer look.

The sanctuary as such is small. You can combine it along with Madugiri or any nearby locations .
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 00:02   #350
Senior - BHPian

Visited Krishnagiri Dam a couple of weeks back. Nice place for a lazy hangout/picnic with family. Idea was to just hit the highways for a drive and lunch at some highway restaurant. Ended up reaching the dam. Distance around 95kms(one way) from E-city.

Last time I went there around 4 years back, it didn't have any crowd, so expected similar silence. Heck, I was totally wrong. Lots of people now flock the place specially during weekends. Has a huge garden adjacent to the dam from where you walk up the stairs to reach the top. Climate was too hot.

There was good amount of water probably because of the rains lately. Didn't click much as I went there just to laze around.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171020_152630_optimized.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171020_152621_optimized.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171020_152532_optimized.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2017 at 00:11.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:28   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Chitradurga fort & Vani Vilas Sagar dam yesterday. Lovely views of the setting sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-3img_20171203_165240.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-5img_20171203_170110.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-7img_20171203_172918.jpg  

procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 21:45   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did a ride to Dandiganahalli dam today morning with couple of my friends.
Cross posting from the sunday drives thread as many folks might not be following that thread.

Drove to Dandiganahalli dam today afternoon and route taken was Hebbal > Doddabalapura > Tondebavi > Manchenahalli > Dandiganahalli dam

Road are good till the turn off after Manchenahalli, after which its just bad roads which gets worse as some sections are being white topped even here Low GC cars will find it hard to climb onto the cement sections. Also one stretch of the road is completely closed and you need to take a mud road for a 2 km stretch before you get back onto the main road to the dam.

Would suggest folks to stay away for a month by when the cementing should be complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-2.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-3.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-4.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-5.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-6.jpg  

procrj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 22:00   #353

Short solo drive to Dabbagauli.

Left Koramangala at around 5 am and reached dabbagauli at around 8 am for about 120 kms.

Things to do/see?
1. Small temple
2. River Cauvery flowing peacefully.
3. Can take coracle ride to other side and back.
4. Walk along the banks of river.

Route taken- Bangalore->Kanakapura ->kodihalli->hunsanahalli->Dabbagauli

Roads are average till Kanakapura. After taking deviation towards Kodihalli from sangama route, freshly laid tarmac are a bliss to drive on. At Hunsanahalli, have to take deviation from the main road in almost U-turn manner to go towards Dabbagauli.
Last 15-20 kms are bad and is through dense forest area. Cars with low ground clearance will have tough time. Preferably avoid going in hatches or sedans.
Creta didn’t face any problem negotiating muddy and rocky roads in last 15 kms.

There are signboards in kannada indicating directions to temple. One place where I got confused was in fork where I took tar road towards mugguru instead of taking mud road towards Dabbagauli. Ask around if any doubts regarding route.

Absolutely avoid solo drives. Everybody who I conversed with, were shocked to see me travelling alone. Few stretches in forest are absolutely desolate and no signal from Airtel and Jio. Download offline version of google maps. People are nice and can communicate well in Kannada even in Tamil Nadu side as it is border area.

Initial plan was to travel to Anchetty and return via hosur road, but due to commitments, had to return back the same way.
Horrendous weekend traffic in kanakapura road. Took a good 1 hour extra on return leg.

P.S: River Cauvery is known to have lot of whirlpools in sangam and mekedatu, So please avoid getting down in river unless you are sure. Localite mentioned the depth ranges from 25-30 feet.
Attaching a few pictures taken on mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171230_073149.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171230_085226.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20171230_085612.jpg  

karthiksm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 10:26   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Procrj,

Not sure it would help since my reply is a delayed one! I keep visiting Jayamangali often since Madhugiri is my in-laws place. Recent visit of mine was about a month ago.

There are indeed a lot of black bucks in Jayamangali, in hundreds, probably. You need to be there by 6-6.30 in the morning to catch good view of the animals. Only in such case, it's worth driving down there. Since it's an open grassland, you will have to be very quick on your heels if you wish to capture few good snaps. Even with the slightest sound of the wheels, they just run away.
autospeaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 12:42   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
I keep visiting Jayamangali often
autospeaker - looks like my trip might materialize this weekend. Planning on a 3.30/4.00 am start from home. Which of these is the best route to get to Jayamangali:
1. Tumkur - Korategere - Madhugiri - Jayamangali
2. Dabaspete - Korategere - Madhugiri - Jayamangali
3. Doddabalapur - Gauribidanur - Madhugiri - Jayamangali

Ideal route would be one with decent tarmac even if its slightly longer as most of the drive would be before sunrise and hence might even have to drive in foggy conditions.

Also would Madhura be the best place for a quick bite on the return journey? https://goo.gl/maps/d87WvuK6g4E2
Old 8th January 2018, 13:53   #356
BHPian

Quote:
autospeaker - looks like my trip might materialize this weekend.
Also would Madhura be the best place for a quick bite on the return journey? https://goo.gl/maps/d87WvuK6g4E2
Please take Dobbaspete-Koratagere-Madhugiri Route. The road is absolutely fantastic barring a few speedbreakers near Urdigere. Doddaballapur road is a pain to drive I feel. As far as I know, the road widening work is going on from Rajanukunte till Hindupur. Even the Doddaballapur - Gowribidanur road, via Thondebavi is not good I reckon.

And, I dont even remember seeing the hotel you have mentioned, pardon me here. Please carry your own food (like Chapati), at least for breakfast, since you are leaving early.
Also on return, once you reach Madhugiri, it should not take more than a hour to touch Doddaspet, for you to have lunch. Unfortunately there aren't much options for food in Madhugiri. You may go to 'Pete Beedhi' if you wish have something at bakeries.
Please let me know if you need anything else. Happy to help

PS :
Quote:
Doddabalapur - Gauribidanur - Madhugiri - Jayamangali

You need not enter the Madhugiri town if at all coming via Gowribidnur. The handpost leading to Jayamangali( or Maidanahalli, as known locally) comes before Madhugiri.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 18:30   #357
BHPian

Bangalore-Kanakapura road- Harohalli-Maralavadi-Thally-Hosur-Bangalore is a nice route to drive. It is approximately 130km from Electronic City.

On Kanakapura road, around 30km from NICE road entry at Electronic City, you can have a breakfast stop at a small shop on the right side to relish Davangere Benne Dose. The main landmark is a huge green board with distance to Coimbatore and Dindigul.

At Harohalli on Kanakapura Road, take a left turn just before the tank bund.

Harohalli to Thally route is scenic and you need to ask for directions if you are in doubt. It passes through Maralavadi.

From Thally, there is a route to Anekal-Jigani. But please avoid this route because it is under construction. From Thally, there is one road which goes to Denkanikottai and another one leads to Hosur, which goes around the lake.

Click here for Google maps.

Last edited by Romins : 26th April 2018 at 18:32. Reason: Route description
Old 26th April 2018, 19:14   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Bangalore-Kanakapura road- Harohalli-Maralavadi-Thally-Hosur-Bangalore is a nice route to drive. It is approximately 130km from Electronic City.
There is a Hunasanahalli-Thally which goes via the Jwalagiri range. Its a nice green cover. There is also a Jwalagiri-Denkanikottai road. But it was quite pathetic 2-3 years back. I dont know how is it today.

Also look out for nice rose farms on this section. Makes for a nice road side stop.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 16:52   #359
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Planning a quick dash to Mekedatu sometime soon. I know that I have to take a left at the junction before Sangama, cross Akravathy river, and take immediate right on the road that hugs the river, all the way to Mekedatu. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Query - how far can I drive along this road? Is there a "viewpoint" that will give me a good view of the gorge?

Been ages since I went there, hence the questions Thanks in advance!
Old 30th April 2018, 12:18   #360
BHPian

We had gone to Camp Linger -Nachikkuppam. I got their website from Chiguru Farm's website.
Nice location, friendly staff, good food. There was another group -who wanted to have fun with booze, loud music and bbq. We couldn't sleep until 3am, returned at 7am, though we had paid for two whole days. If you are seeking peace and quietude, avoid this place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks