Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:00   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
I want to drive too. So looking to combine both. Any other places would also do, not necessarily lakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
A basic meal and some tea, sure. Personally I have never stopped on the way, but have seen a few places. Yup sunrise and sunset are visible.
This is the Makalidurga stretch, which many in the forum regularly visit for train spotting. This is on the Doddaballapur-Hindupur SH; after the Doddaballapur town. The lake is opposite to the hill where the railway line curves.

There was a also a BHP meet around at this place. Search for "Makalidurga" on the forum (and on Google maps for location) to know more.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2016 at 10:02.
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:02   #272
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggest a place

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a place around Bangalore - 60 - 70 km where I can sit and paint on location. Any lake / waterbody/ structure with a background would do.
Manchanbele Dam off the Mysore Road (can go via Big Banyan tree also), Devarayana Durga hills (there is a waterbody/lake near the temples) off Tumkur Road (turn off at Dabaspete) may fit the bill as they're under 100Km from Bangalore.
Other places you can consider, slightly longer distance away from Bangalore are Kanva Dam near Channapatna/Ramnagar off Mysore Road and Tonnur Kere/Markonahalli Dam near Melukote, can be accessed via Mysore Road and Hassan Highway NH48.
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:53   #273
BHPian

Quote:
This is my personal favorite spot in Bangalore with rolls of green on one side, lake on one side, and mountains with train track on the other side: 13.442522, 77.518448

PM me if you need any more help getting to the place
Am regular on this route and would totally avoid this place now, the road widening is in progress due to which the traffic is total chaos and roads are in total mess due to rains.

Last edited by 2500cc : 2nd June 2016 at 10:54.
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:14   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Am regular on this route and would totally avoid this place now, the road widening is in progress due to which the traffic is total chaos and roads are in total mess due to rains.
Actually drove there recently in the WagonR. Yes there is road work going on and a few diversions, but still made it in pretty good time. This was in the evening.
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:03   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is the Makalidurga stretch, which many in the forum regularly visit for train spotting. This is on the Doddaballapur-Hindupur SH; after the Doddaballapur town. The lake is opposite to the hill where the railway line curves.

There was a also a BHP meet around at this place. Search for "Makalidurga" on the forum (and on Google maps for location) to know more.
Thanks will check it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Manchanbele Dam off the Mysore Road (can go via Big Banyan tree also), Devarayana Durga hills (there is a waterbody/lake near the temples) off Tumkur Road (turn off at Dabaspete) may fit the bill as they're under 100Km from Bangalore.
Other places you can consider, slightly longer distance away from Bangalore are Kanva Dam near Channapatna/Ramnagar off Mysore Road and Tonnur Kere/Markonahalli Dam near Melukote, can be accessed via Mysore Road and Hassan Highway NH48.
Manchanbele dam - we cannot go near so ruled it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
thanks for the update
Old 3rd June 2016, 00:33   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually drove there recently in the WagonR.
Quote:
Thanks will check it
This is how the lake looks on a warm winter morning. Nice place to be around.
(Taken in 3-4 years earlier)

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-gunjur.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 14:28   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is my personal favorite spot in Bangalore with rolls of green on one side, lake on one side, and mountains with train track on the other side: 13.442522, 77.518448
Quote:
This is how the lake looks on a warm winter morning. Nice place to be around.
(Taken in 3-4 years earlier)
This is so close to Ghati Subramanya, which I have been to many times. Do you have to get back on SH to get to this lake or should I take the small road from Ghati to the lake? Looks like a good spot for a quick drive next Wednesday.
Old 1st July 2016, 15:55   #278
Senior - BHPian

I have a team outing at Discovery Village, near Nandi hils on July 5th.
Google maps shows this as the default route.

https://goo.gl/maps/UyhamsrVXYU2

Any update on the latest condition?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st July 2016, 18:58   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This is so close to Ghati Subramanya, which I have been to many times. Do you have to get back on SH to get to this lake or should I take the small road from Ghati to the lake? Looks like a good spot for a quick drive next Wednesday.
All you have to do is drive till the Makalidurga stretch. Just a few stretches beyond the foothill exit you will the exit to this lake. Google is accurate.

So basically dont exit from the SH for Ghati Subramanya.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:20   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here who has been to Gorur dam in the last few weeks? Want to understand road conditions between Arkalgud - Gorur dam. Planning to drive there tomorrow.
Old 5th July 2016, 13:56   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyone here who has been to Gorur dam in the last few weeks? Want to understand road conditions between Arkalgud - Gorur dam. Planning to drive there tomorrow.
More than the road, please confirm if there is enough water in the damn. You may not want to end up in an anticlimax.
Old 5th July 2016, 14:05   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More than the road, please confirm if there is enough water in the damn. You may not want to end up in an anticlimax.
Gates are not fully open - saw a few pics posted on facebook yesterday. Going there for a drive in a friends new car hence the focus is on the drive and not the destination
Old 5th July 2016, 14:49   #283
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Want to understand road conditions between Arkalgud - Gorur dam. Planning to drive there tomorrow.
Last I heard was Hassan-Gorur is bad/rough. We all know that roads upto Arkalgud are good, so Arkalgud-Gorur is the only unknown and I guess you can take a chance
Given that it's a drive in a new car, take the SH 121 via Agrahara (I think you tried this recently ?) for Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura.

*Gmaps also shows a route via SH109 from Holenarasipura which bypasses Arkalgud (in fact this is the gmaps suggested route for Bangalore-Gorur Dam!)

Last edited by NPV : 5th July 2016 at 14:51.
Old 5th July 2016, 15:05   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Given that it's a drive in a new car, take the SH 121 via Agrahara (I think you tried this recently ?)
Yes I did take this route 2 weeks back on my way to Madikeri. Planning to take this tomorrow as well & risk the 7 km stretch between Arkalgud - Gorur. Also Hassan - Shettihalli turn off on SH21 was not bad when I drove in April.

Last edited by procrj : 5th July 2016 at 15:12.
Old 5th July 2016, 15:21   #285
BHPian

Hey good people,

Need help. Planning to go for a drive to Ghati Subramanya to Makalidurga to Tondebavi to Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple to Sir M Visvesvaraya Memorial to Nandi Hills and back.

The problem I am facing is that I am not able to locate the Memorial on Google maps. Any help here will be appreciated.

If any one is familiar with these areas, would want to know if there are any good lunch options around this route?

Doing the drive tomorrow, so a quick help will be deeply appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks