Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 09:02   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query

Great info guys.

If we need to walk up to Tirumala is it fine to go via. Srivari Mettu OR we have to go only via. Alipiri?

If I'm not wrong, there is substantial difference with respect to distance between each of them

Srivari Mettu is just 2.5 kms and Alipiri is 11kms long
Old 9th March 2017, 09:16   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If I'm not wrong, there is substantial difference with respect to distance between each of them
We usually don't walk, so this info is new to me, however, this is what I found for you...

Alipiri Mettu
Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-a1.jpg

Srivari Mettu
Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-a2.jpg

Source - https://www.gotirupati.com/by-walk-to-tirumala-hills/
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 09:24   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We usually don't walk, so this info is new to me, however, this is what I found for you...
Thanks! I have walked to Tirumala via. Alipiri about 4-5 times till date but, never via Srivari Mettu.

Maybe we'll try this route this time

P.S : Btw, Planning to stay at "Fortune Kences" in Tirupathi. Any review on this hotel? Also, this would be our first time to stay in Tirupathi. Otherwise, we always stay in Tirumala

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th March 2017 at 09:26.
Old 9th March 2017, 13:40   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Great info guys.

If we need to walk up to Tirumala is it fine to go via. Srivari Mettu OR we have to go only via. Alipiri?

Like you, I have walked by Alipiri route only, multiple times. But recently one of my relatives tried the Srivari Mettu route. He said it was much easier but there was issue of reaching that place as it is at some distance from Tirupati and also fewer options of refreshments during the climb.
Old 9th March 2017, 16:45   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Like you, I have walked by Alipiri route only, multiple times. But recently one of my relatives tried the Srivari Mettu route. He said it was much easier but there was issue of reaching that place as it is at some distance from Tirupati and also fewer options of refreshments during the climb.

Srivari Mettu is 19 kms from Tirupathi. Around 6 kms from Srinivasa Mangapuram temple. There are frequent bus services operating to Srivari Mettu. A fit person can easily complete the ascent in an hour.
Old 9th March 2017, 18:32   #351
Senior - BHPian

After the renovated SrivariMettu was opened for pedestrians, in last 3 years, me and my friends are climbing up in this holy steps. We normally take 1 to 1.5 minutes to reach Tirumala. Add another 30 minutes or so depending on the physical fitness of the person. Prior to that, we always used to take Alipiri steps that takes anywhere between 3 to 3.5 hours. But now we are climbing only by Srivari Mettu.

From Tirupati Bus Stand, we normally take a Jeep that costs Rs. 400/- to 500/- one way to reach SriVari Mettu. You can take Autorickshaws as well but not much cost difference. We haven't tried Buses, but IIRC, i haven't seen lot of frequent buses to Srivari mettu.

SrivariMettu steps are steep and there are no walking path unlike in Alipiri steps. There are almost nil refreshment options in Srivari Mettu. However, Srivari Mettu steps takes you very close to Queue entrance whereas, Alipiri

In Alipiri steps, the first leg till Gali Gopuram is steep steps after which its an easy walk with lot of refreshment options on the way till you reach last leg which is again steep steps.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 10:54   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Great info guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I have done both alipiri and srivari mettu multiple times

The main differences:

Alipiri is open 24 hours ; Srivarimettu path is open between 6am to 6pm ONLY

Alipiri Total steps: 3600 ; At galigopuram (step 2080) you will get the divya darshan ticket and at step 2800, you need to validate the ticket token (they will put a seal)

Srivarimettu Total steps: 2400 Steps ; 1300 Step – Ticket counter ; 1800 – Step – Ticket validation counter

Even though the difference in number of steps: about 800, this translates into a good distance (as many of the steps after galigopuram are pretty flat and is approximately 20 to 30 feet long, and you will walk considerably longer).

On an avg, with stops at galigopuram and en route, it takes about 3 hours via alipiri route; while with breaks it takes about 1.15 hours thru srivarimettu

Alipiri route - comes up near the exit arch of tirumala - one needs to walk about another 1 or 2km before we reach the VQ etc.

Srivarimettu, comes up near Alwar Tank complex and is quite near to VQ complex. Also you land up very near to the Free bus stop.

The number of refreshment stops/shops are quite less in the srivari mettu route, while it is plentiful in the alipiri route. Drinking water is available on both routes - so that's not an issue.

Parking facility is not so great at srivarimettu ; while it is ok near alipiri. What we do is, park the car at srinivasa complex, take a bus/auto to srivarimettu and then climb. Return, when we take the bus down, we can get down near srinivasa complex.

Other points:
The route is much more scenic at srivarimettu

There is very little flat stretch and is almost all equi size steps. So one will have to climb continuously. Thru alipiri stretch, though till galigopuram, it is steep stretch, after that, since it is quite flat, it is more easier to walk.
haria is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 11:27   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The first 2km would be quite steep to walk from Alipiri. But I have seen usually you can cover in 4 hours with decent stamina. Else add 1 or 2 more depending seniors or kids. Plus its always good start early. Else the heat is just too much.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 20:24   #354
BHPian

Completed good darshan today. Had booked the special entry online for the 6pm slot. Took some time to find a parking slot and joined the queue by 5 pm and was out by 6 pm. Though it was crowded, the waiting was less. The ID cards were checked just once and the bags searched twice.

Last edited by sansvk : 17th March 2017 at 20:27.
Old 17th March 2017, 21:44   #355
BHPian

Sharing some useful information based on my visit last week:
  • You need an identity proof to book a locker in the Pilgrim Amenities Center (Madhava Bhavana etc)
  • For Angapradikshana ticket, you need to show your Aadhar card (photocopy would do) or Aadhar number. I showed a photo of the Aadhar card that I had on my mobile.
    PS: Angapradikshana is a seva where you lie prostrate, and then roll around the main temple.
Old 18th March 2017, 15:07   #356
BHPian

I have booked a special entry online darshan for 2PM slot on March 22nd, Wednesday. Planning to start from Bangalore at 5AM and looking to reach Tirumala around 11-11.30.
This time I am looking to tonsure my head.
Is there any facility available apart from Kalyana Katta? Sometimes there used to be huge rush at Kalyana Katta. I heard that we can get it done at Pilgrim guest house as well. Do they allow or is it available only for people who stays there.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 16:29   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Is there any facility available apart from Kalyana Katta?
Thanks
You can call/meet the managers of any of the organizations like Arya Vyshya Matha, Vysasaraja matha that dot the road near to the Karnataka choultry. We had availed of the tonsuring services when we did the ritual to my son and nephew at Tirumala. Please speak to them prior and get it arranged rather than going there and trying for the same.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 18:50   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any facility available apart from Kalyana Katta? Sometimes there used to be huge rush at Kalyana Katta. I heard that we can get it done at Pilgrim guest house as well. Do they allow or is it available only for people who stays there.

Thanks
It has mushroomed everywhere. You don't need to visit kalyana katta. Nearly every guest house and the pilgrims amenity centers have tonsuring facility.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 19:30   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a special entry online darshan for 2PM slot on March 22nd, Wednesday. Planning to start from Bangalore at 5AM and looking to reach Tirumala around 11-11.30.

Thanks
With 2 pm darshan slot and tonsuring plan, i seriously don't think you have sufficient time in hand if you start at 5 am from Bangalore. Please consider reaching Tirupati prior night and then in the morning, if you complete tonsuring, you can join the queue at 1 pm, after lunch.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 11:09   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

We climbed up to Tirumala yesterday (March 19th) via. Sreevari Mettu and it was a distance of 2.5kms and 2400 steps

I have to tell you these steps are really steep and there is almost minimal to none flat walking ground and it's just a series of steps and took my breath away but, finally did it in 2 hours and 20 minutes

As we started walking at 10:00am due to our donor pass darshan from 12pm-6pm, it was hot and took more toll on us compared to if we did it early in morning

My stamina is gone for a toss and someone with good stamina can do it in 2 hours and athlete type of folks can even do it in 1 hour or 1:15 hours

There are good facilities for refreshment continuously on the way and almost as good as Alipiri route

Sreevari Mettu is 17kms away from Tirupathi city and auto folks will charge around Rs.200 for this ride
Attached Thumbnails
Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-fullsizerender-3.jpg  

Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-fullsizerender-4.jpg  

Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-fullsizerender-5.jpg  

Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-fullsizerender-6.jpg  

Tirumala / Tirupati Seegradarshanam query-fullsizerender-7.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks