Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 20:12   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Sign up is not enough to gain access to the info, i have to be part of the group. Anyways, now need to think of alternatives. As i had to head towards belthangady, charmadi was the right option. Madikeri is circuituous routing.
Ok, pasting here for your assistance:

Quote:
hey,
Charmadi is closed, confirmed with one friend from mudgere(muddigere).

<snip>

There is one more route avoiding both shiradi and charmadi. The route will be
Sakleshpur-mudgere-kalasa-kudermukha-karkala-moodbidire-mangaluru.Its an good
and scenic route passing through kudremukha National park.If this is the route
ur friend is talking bout this its good.

>By the way, the shirdi ghat section is how long? as in the bad roads
>part of it? we're planning to leave sakleshpur by 7am. We could
>leave at 6am instead toavoid traffic and concentrate full on the
>pot holes

Shiradi ghats according to re-tendering's NIT report looks like 60-70%of the
road is in boad shape.LAst year's concreting works has gone bad again,the
approach to concrete in bends were not done last year,it survived through one season so i assume it's gone now again,
The whole bad roads section in shiradi on papers is bout 14km,Shiradi ghats
last's for bout 32km, Except the turnings and those concrete patch it should be breez riding trough it
Source
Old 12th March 2009, 20:40   #422
BHPian

Anyone taken shiradi challenge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Ok, pasting here for your assistance:
Source
Thanks Glifford,

The mudigere - kalasa - kudremukh - karkala - mudubidre - m'lore is a tedious affair.

Has anyone taken the shiradi challenge in the recent past ?
Has there been any improvements in shiradi ghats ? I would be riding a small car so i can circumvent some potholes, for some distance.

Please advise.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:16   #423
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you try to go via Bisle? road was not great...not sure about the present condition.
Old 12th March 2009, 22:54   #424
BHPian

Bisle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Why dont you try to go via Bisle? road was not great...not sure about the present condition.
Hmmm! howz the routing for going via bisle ? Also what would be the distance for b'lore - m'lore via this route ?
Old 13th March 2009, 15:51   #425
Senior - BHPian

JMaruru I feel try this route: Bangalore - Hassan - Chikamagalur - Kalasa - Kudremukha - Beltangadi or Bangalore - tumkur - Kadur - Kudremukha - Beltangadi.

I am not sure If you need to go via chikamagalur - kalasa if you take Kadur.

But I know there is connectivity between kudremukha - Ujjire - beltangadi.

or think about via Shimoga - agumbe also.

Hope this helps.

Ravi.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:14   #426
Senior - BHPian

JMaruru, i think its better to take the route suggested by Ravi.

If you are taking Bisle you need to go via sakleshpura, near Manjarbad fort thier is a road leading to Bisle, later it connectes to Subramanya but the road was very narrow and rough when i had gone...heard that many vehicles started to take this route since Shiradi was bad from which the raod state went even bad...

So better take kals route you will enjoy it.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:43   #427
BHPian

Bisle directions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
JMaruru I feel try this route: Bangalore - Hassan - Chikamagalur - Kalasa - Kudremukha - Beltangadi or Bangalore - tumkur - Kadur - Kudremukha - Beltangadi.
I am not sure If you need to go via chikamagalur - kalasa if you take Kadur.
But I know there is connectivity between kudremukha - Ujjire - beltangadi.
or think about via Shimoga - agumbe also.
The route via kalasa is a tedious affair.. i have done this once, as i have my relatives put up at kalasa. The road from kottigehara to kalasa is not so good. But from kalasa it is good until karkala n also towards mudubidre. But this is like circling around.

Quote:
If you are taking Bisle you need to go via sakleshpura, near Manjarbad fort thier is a road leading to Bisle, later it connectes to Subramanya
This bisle route is new to me. I know this road which separates from NH48, and goes uphill after sakleshpur. There is a stream running on the left before this fork.. is this the road which leads to bisle ? If so, how far is subramanya from this point ?
Old 13th March 2009, 19:21   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone taken the shiradi challenge in the recent past ?
Has there been any improvements in shiradi ghats ? I would be riding a small car so i can circumvent some potholes, for some distance.
Please advise.
I would recommend to avoid Shiradi and take the Madikeri Route. I travelled during Christmas via Shiradi and had problem even with my Innova. I had to stop and search for the pothole with least depth at 3 places. Small car will have much more problems for sure. Some potholes are so huge that even trucks and buses have problem negotiating them. So you can imagine the plight of small cars.

What I last heard was that the repair work will be taken up at a cost of 2.5 crores. When a repair work of 34 crores got washed away in 2 months, one need not be a genius to understand how long will the repaired road last. I travelled by bus last month through the Madikeri route and the route has been repaired and the journey was comfortable.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 14th March 2009, 12:22   #429
Senior - BHPian

Maruru yes thats the one but am not very sure about the distance, it would take a long time as the road is narrow and rough but it was scenic.

Prabhu i think we should forget Shiradi...it wont be reparied and if so it would be poor in quality. hopeless:(
Old 14th March 2009, 15:02   #430
Senior - BHPian

To reach Kalasa from Kottigehaara there are 2 routes I feel one is at some point it goes to left shorter one and one goes straight which is bit lenghty which is in good shape. But I travelled only twice there and remember shorter route has lot of bad patches and longer one was rough one but cant remember potholes.

Or try this like I said before: bangalore - tumkur - kadur - shimoga - (carefull as recently Elphant thrashed and toppled TATA 207 vehicle and driver which was full of Banana) teerthalli - sringeri - kudremukha - beltangadi. Road is excellant to decent.

See if these routes/map help you.

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! I know this is via charmadai but you need to find out route if charmadi is closed. hope this map might help you.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 14th March 2009 at 15:04.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:12   #431
BHPian

B'lore - Shimoga - Sringeri - Karkala ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
To reach Kalasa from Kottigehaara there are 2 routes I feel one is at some point it goes to left shorter one and one goes straight which is bit lenghty which is in good shape. But I travelled only twice there and remember shorter route has lot of bad patches and longer one was rough one but cant remember potholes.

Or try this like I said before: bangalore - tumkur - kadur - shimoga - (carefull as recently Elphant thrashed and toppled TATA 207 vehicle and driver which was full of Banana) teerthalli - sringeri - kudremukha - beltangadi. Road is excellant to decent.

Ravi.
AFAIK there is a single route from kottigehara to kalasa and it is ridden with potholes.

About the other route of going via shimoga, isn't it too circuituous ? Any idea what would be the distance to say, karkala from b'lore via shimoga and sringeri ? If am on this route, definitely shall make sure not to carry banana's in the vehicle!
Old 15th March 2009, 07:01   #432
Senior - BHPian

Maruru, i have travelled in this route couple of times and this is a good route, i had taken about 9-10hrs to do Mlore without much hurry...

Quote:
AFAIK there is a single route from kottigehara to kalasa and it is ridden with potholes.

About the other route of going via shimoga, isn't it too circuituous ? Any idea what would be the distance to say, karkala from b'lore via shimoga and sringeri ? If am on this route, definitely shall make sure not to carry banana's in the vehicle!
Old 15th March 2009, 23:49   #433
BHPian

Quote:
I tried this route when the Shiradi ghats were under repair last time. I would not like to go back there. I would prefer to do the 10-20kms of extremely bad stretch on Shiradi ghat instead of the constant pot-hole ridden Bisle route.
Old 16th March 2009, 02:45   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I tried this route when the Shiradi ghats were under repair last time. I would not like to go back there. I would prefer to do the 10-20kms of extremely bad stretch on Shiradi ghat instead of the constant pot-hole ridden Bisle route.
Only a Scorpio/Safari/MUV with sufficient clearance might be be suitable on Shiradi. The last time I travelled in Dec-Jan09, I felt its too risky for cars with high possiblity of bottoming out on one of those potholes and getting struck.
Old 16th March 2009, 07:29   #435
Senior - BHPian

Gopal & for_cars, SHiradi should not be thougt about at all! even Innova found it hard and was not easy on my Adventure either.

Last 2 years have done several trips to Mlore and i took SHiradi, if someone wanst to do this road..he/she would have to go through lot of stress...worse part is the trucks rule this strech most of the drive badly so small vehicles will have a bad time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks