Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 10:40   #1321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
how about blore-hassan-belur-gonebidu-mudugere-charmadi-ujre-belthangady-moodabidri-karkala-udupi? What will be the distance? More importantly what are the road conditions?
blore-hassan-belur - Peaceful.
belur-gonebidu-mudugere - Bad. Curvy narrow roads with quite a few bad patches.
charmadi-ujre-belthangady-moodabidri - Don't have recent info.
moodabidri-karkala-udupi - Typical coastal roads. Wavy rough surface with occasional potholes. Still manageable. Look out for local buses though. Those guys drive like they own the road in these parts.

My guess is that it will be around 450+ km.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:57   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Charmadi's condition was much better then "Sampaje when i visited last time, only that this road is very narrow and overtaking is risky and thaks to the land slides couple of curves have got narrow and for your bad luck there is a bus/truck coming from opposite direction then you will have to reverse...

Ujre on the travel takes lot of time thanks to the regular bad patches and all the "gramina Sarige" buses. after ujre towards Moodbidre traffic gets less but lots of winding roads...
Old 30th October 2009, 11:12   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No night driving for me. Will stick to sunlight. Any idea on how the stretch from belur to moodabidri is (including charmadi?)
approximately 150kms Via Mudigere-Ujire-Guruvayankere.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:53   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Buddy you have either taken a wrong road or have just come back driving on 12 lane expressways abroad . Hassan - Belur road is one of the best in this part of the state an by no means narrow by Indian standards

+1, The Hassan - Belur road is one of the best roads in the state, let alone this part of the state.

@ash_blore, I don't think you need to go to Moodbidri from Belthangady. You can turn right at Guruvayanakere and it will lead straight to Karkala and from there to Manipal-Udupi
Old 30th October 2009, 12:32   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
+1, The Hassan - Belur road is one of the best roads in the state, let alone this part of the state.

@ash_blore, I don't think you need to go to Moodbidri from Belthangady. You can turn right at Guruvayanakere and it will lead straight to Karkala and from there to Manipal-Udupi
Ok just saw the google maps. Makes sense. So the route is
BLR - Hassan - belur - mudigere - charmadi - ujre - Belthangady - karkala - udupi.

Any update on charmadi ghat section? Road ok for civic ? Also how do i get onto NH4 from banashankari? I am planning to take the nice road entrance on kanakapura road. The google maps shows nice road ending on SH-17 (blr/mys highway). What do I do from there?

Last edited by ash_blore : 30th October 2009 at 12:33.
Old 30th October 2009, 12:46   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any update on charmadi ghat section? Road ok for civic ? Also how do i get onto NH4 from banashankari? I am planning to take the nice road entrance on kanakapura road. The google maps shows nice road ending on SH-17 (blr/mys highway). What do I do from there?
Charmadi ghat section is fair enough to travel in a sedan.

Banshankari - Kanakpura Rd - NICE Road -(Pay toll till Magadi Rd) - Keep going straight, later Turn left to take Magadi Road. You'll join Kunigal in this beautiful road.
They have markings all the way till kunigal.
Just remeber, Keep going stratight till Magadi, once you exit Magadi town, TAKE RIGHT & further more ( say 3-4kms) TAKE LEFT Road.
At the end of this Road - T Junction, Take left to reach Kunigal.

Last edited by sushrutha : 30th October 2009 at 12:47.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:25   #1327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

+1 again. I kept wondering since this road is not only wide enough for a 2 laned state highway but has also ensured perfect banking at turns and seamless markings ensuring turns at higher than normal speeds too.

Long back, while doing Bangalore - Belur, It was a damp squib whenever I crossed thanneruhalla and took that righ to Belur and these days it is the other way round just wanting to reach Belur road and then carry on with no headaches on a smooth drive/glide.

But will never forget that just 3-4 kms before Hagare village and those speedbreakers at the entry and exit of a village which had bent my car's axle since it was the same day I jumped over it in the night when it was laid with full load at 80kmph. 2 biker also got killed in the next week since they had not put any signboards then. Later the single monstrous speedbraker was replaced with the smaller serial speedbrakers.

Heard from Dad that the votebank of this village plays an important role in the political scene here and hence the demand for a speedbrakers, just as we see barricades all along the Hassan Mysore stretch (Not sure if they still exist though). Else, one can imagine having such speedbreakers at every village of this stretch!!
Old 30th October 2009, 15:42   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Buddy you have either taken a wrong road or have just come back driving on 12 lane expressways abroad . Hassan - Belur road is one of the best in this part of the state an by no means narrow by Indian standards
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
+1 again. I kept wondering since this road is not only wide enough for a 2 laned state highway but has also ensured perfect banking at turns and seamless markings ensuring turns at higher than normal speeds too.
Sorry guys, probably mixed it up with the road to Halebid. Now I remember Hassan - Belur was a good 2 lane state road. From Belur to Halebid probably was quite narrow.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:14   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Charmadi ghat section is fair enough to travel in a sedan.

Banshankari - Kanakpura Rd - NICE Road -(Pay toll till Magadi Rd) - Keep going straight, later Turn left to take Magadi Road. You'll join Kunigal in this beautiful road.
They have markings all the way till kunigal.
Just remeber, Keep going stratight till Magadi, once you exit Magadi town, TAKE RIGHT & further more ( say 3-4kms) TAKE LEFT Road.
At the end of this Road - T Junction, Take left to reach Kunigal.
thanks for the update. I too was looking for this bypass/shortcut to kunigal. Google maps needs to update itself as it doesnt show NICE road beyond mysore road intersection.

In any case please feel free to pass on any tips. I have done blr-karkala so many time through shiradi. This is first time I am taking any other route and hence the concern.
I promise a trip report upon my return.
Old 31st October 2009, 09:52   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Another 118 Crore sanctioned for the Shiradi ghat stretch as per TOI.Check article

Welcome - Times Of India ePaper

However Daijiworld claims only 115 Crore

Source :

Quote:
Puttur, Oct 29: National Highway (NH) Authority has finally given a green signal for concreting Shiradi Ghat stretch by sanctioning the central grant.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday October 28, MP Nalin Kumar Kateel informed that Rs 115.58 crore was sanctioned for concreting works of the 36-km-stretch of road on Shiradi Ghat. The tender process for NH concreting works will soon begin, he said.

The concreting works are expected to begin the next month as technical sanction has been awaited with files already being disposed, he said.
3 Crores already missing from the time the news has been released . Gawd knows how many more crores will go missing while the project is on.
Old 31st October 2009, 10:43   #1331
BHPian

No L&T for Shiradi....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Another 118 Crore sanctioned for the Shiradi ghat stretch as per TOI.

3 Crores already missing from the time the news has been released . Gawd knows how many more crores will go missing while the project is on.
Well said. Already they have ruled L&T out of this, giving some filmsy reasons. They shouldn't give the work to the same contractors who have done this sub-standard job. I hope and pray for better job this time...
Old 31st October 2009, 11:03   #1332
Senior - BHPian

L&T ruled out is very unfortunate decision.

I heard from some source, this bad road issue is not going to get sorted out soon. If they award the project to same contractors also work can be done efficientlyprovided government release funds on time. Contractors have lost faith of getting on time payment resulting in poor quality.

By the way for team's information next year is going to be BIG mess in Karnataka as far as roads are concerned! It is confirmed after studying present political situation. I pray soon Karnataka get better Politicians and aggressive officers to do better Administration! also better unity among public.

Quality of road work done in last 5 years is worser than worst! So expect huge potholes in almost every roads built/serviced in last 5 years. I can see hardly 5% good work.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 31st October 2009 at 11:06.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:14   #1333
BHPian

Do we know who the earlier contractor is? We the public should protest by writing to transport ministry

I plan to take this road the Shiradi ghat road in end November, hope it would be atleast pothole filled by the time
Old 31st October 2009, 12:44   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Do we know who the earlier contractor is? We the public should protest by writing to transport ministry
The asphalted road contracted was awarded to M/s.Durga Constructions. This did not last even one month.

The 13 critical curves concretisation was awarded to M/s.Bhandarkar Constructions. The concrete curves have held well so far.
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:17   #1335
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post

I plan to take this road the Shiradi ghat road in end November, hope it would be atleast pothole filled by the time
I don't think the problem is completely with the contractor. Ore filled lorries are seen as the bigger culprits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks