Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:42   #1336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
I don't think the problem is completely with the contractor. Ore filled lorries are seen as the bigger culprits.
Well if that is what the road is used for, that's what it should be built for. They cannot be culprits if they pay their taxes and tolls. They have equal right to use that road as you do.*

It is like sending a Maruti 800 to pick up a Football Team from the Airport. You know the size of the team, send a Tempo Traveller!
(OK the Aveo UVA ad may kindly be ignored in this example )

*: Assuming they are not overloaded over the axle/total load limit for that stretch. If they do, catch 'em and fine 'em!

Last edited by Glifford : 2nd November 2009 at 17:43. Reason: Added statement on overloading
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:58   #1337
Senior - BHPian

On toll charges, one of the minsters had issue with it and am not sure if its going to be implemented.

All know why the roads have gone so bad(thanks to Ore trucks) but the concerned are in no mood for action, this is the beauty of our country.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:58   #1338
BHPian

Ore trucks have all the backing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
On toll charges, one of the minsters had issue with it and am not sure if its going to be implemented.

All know why the roads have gone so bad(thanks to Ore trucks) but the concerned are in no mood for action, this is the beauty of our country.
The ore trucks have the backing of the high and mighty in the govt and we all know now, the govt. is hanging in balance. The hunch is it all started coz of the much needed toll imposed by the govt. on the ore trucks.

There are not many backers for the guys travelling on the bus or for people like us who travel in cars. The bell rings only for the ore trucks.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:45   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
thanks for the update. I too was looking for this bypass/shortcut to kunigal. Google maps needs to update itself as it doesnt show NICE road beyond mysore road intersection.

In any case please feel free to pass on any tips. I have done blr-karkala so many time through shiradi. This is first time I am taking any other route and hence the concern.
I promise a trip report upon my return.
Just came back from Udupi last night. Here is the status.

Banashankari 3rd stage - nice road (link road) - magadi road - kunigal - hasan - belur -mudugere - charmadi - belthangadi - karkala - udupi
Till belur the roads are great with no pot holes etc. The rest is bad (not worst as compared to shiradi). The stretches to watch out for are
belur - mudugere -> Here its a combo of good and very nad roads. The worse part is that there are good roads and suddenly you get a crater of a pot hole! Be very careful. Thank god for good brakes on civic
The charmadi ghat has held thus far but is on the verge of getting worse. I suspect a few more months on a couple of rains and this will not be motorable! Watch out for no roads on the haripin curves
The rest of the way the roads are at best average. There has been no maintenance and there are pot holes all along the way. So you cant do consistent speed. You are always fighting with the brakes and the gears!!
Total distance 410KM. Start time 5AM reached Udupi at 2PM (took 3 breaks for the kids totalling about 1 hr)

Return
Udupi - manipal - perdur - hebri - someshwar - Agumbe - sringeri - Aldur - chikmangalur - belur - hasan - kunigal - magdi road - nice - bsk 3rd stage

This road is sooooooo much better than the other one above. Except the someshwar agumbe section of about 3 KM where there is a narrow strip of tar in the center (say about 3 ft) and on either side of this strip is just mud and rock (where the road used to be). The heigh difference between the tar stip and the surrounding rock is about a foot! what makes it difficult is that its an incline and a winding road!
The agumbe ghat is holding up nicely. Looks like it already has concrete on the HP curves.
Once you reach agumbe, stay to the right and this takes you to NH13 till sringeri. After that look for signs to chikmangalur and from then through the city to the belur road. From there you are ok. Must say the magadi road and the nice roads were a life saver especially for those in south bangalore!
Total distace 420KM. Start time 1PM reached home at 9PM sharp. Took a 45 min break at c.r patna.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:14   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back "ash"

The route via Mudigere -Charmadi- Ujre in a way is a torture, i would certainly avoid it!
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:41   #1341
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Just came back from Udupi last night. Here is the status.
Banashankari 3rd stage - nice road (link road) - magadi road - kunigal - hasan - belur -mudugere - charmadi - belthangadi - karkala - udupi
Till belur the roads are great with no pot holes etc. The rest is bad (not worst as compared to shiradi). .
The Magadi road - Kunigal - Hassan is becoming increasingly popular. I think traffic will increase on this road.

Also the traffic on the Charmadi ghat and Madikeri route will increase once the Shiradi ghat is closed for repairs.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:51   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
The Magadi road - Kunigal - Hassan is becoming increasingly popular. I think traffic will increase on this road.
Not only is this road excellent, it very scenic. Great for even a nice long drive on a Sunday.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-magadi-road-medium.jpg
Magadi Road to Kunigal

Last edited by Roameo : 3rd November 2009 at 11:52.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:42   #1343

Bangalore-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Hassan

Any suggestions on which route to take?

I was planning Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Shiradi-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Charmadi-Mudigere-Hassan. But I have heard Shiradi ghat is in a horrible condition. Any latest update, is the road motorable on Shiradi or is there any other way to get to Kukke?
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:55   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarrr View Post
Any suggestions on which route to take?

I was planning Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Shiradi-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Charmadi-Mudigere-Hassan. But I have heard Shiradi ghat is in a horrible condition. Any latest update, is the road motorable on Shiradi or is there any other way to get to Kukke?
There is an alternative route via mysore road - hunsur - madikeri - sulya and kukke.

But, you can manage shiradi if you take it carefully. The bad stretch is around 25 - 30 kms and this would be the shortest route.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:56   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Kumar, You can go via "Charmadi" visit Dharmasthala and move on to Kukke, while returning coming via Shiradi will be shorter but condition is not great so you can take the "charmadi" again.

But all depends on which car you are driving, with a high GC car/UV/SUV you can still go on Shiradi.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:57   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Any idea hows the road condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
There is an alternative route via mysore road - hunsur - madikeri - sulya and kukke.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:00   #1347

Quote:
Kumar, You can go via "Charmadi" visit Dharmasthala and move on to Kukke, while returning coming via Shiradi will be shorter but condition is not great so you can take the "charmadi" again.

But all depends on which car you are driving, with a high GC car/UV/SUV you can still go on Shiradi.
I will be driving a Corolla and will be with 2 young kids.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:33   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea hows the road condition?
I have not taken the madikeri route in the recent past. But from the posts on this thread it seems there are some rough stretches around kushalnagar - madikeri.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:33   #1349
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarrr View Post
I will be driving a Corolla and will be with 2 young kids.
Pls take this road from Bangalore to Kukke:
Bangalore - Srirangapatna- Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Kukke Subrahmanya.

Pls take this road from Dharmasthala to Bangalore :
Dharmasthala - Ujire - Chramadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Bangalore

Good for both your car and kids.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:07   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Pls take this road from Bangalore to Kukke:
Bangalore - Srirangapatna- Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Kukke Subrahmanya.

Pls take this road from Dharmasthala to Bangalore :
Dharmasthala - Ujire - Chramadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Bangalore

Good for both your car and kids.
Thanks a ton. Will use the Madikeri route. How is the road from Madikeri to Sullya to Kukke?

And the deviation from Kunigal to Magadi on NH48 is before Kunigal or after passing Kunigal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks