Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 11:00   #1831
Senior - BHPian

I think the bad stretch is about 7-8kms and not more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I guess the best route would be via Shiradi Ghat. Barring some 25 Kms stretch, the entire road from Bangalore till Mangalore is good.
What say Kadri??
Old 11th March 2010, 19:05   #1832
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I think the bad stretch is about 7-8kms and not more...
Wow. This means rest of the patches has improved. can we now cover the entire ghat section in 50 Minutes? Took me One hour and 25 minutes the last time , that is around 3 months ago. Also, is the bad stretch manageable in a car?
Old 11th March 2010, 20:55   #1833
BHPian

Hi Guys , i am traveling to udupi Saturday morning and i came to this post to get some info on Blr-Shimoga-Agumbe-udupi route. Last time i had traveled this route and i found it ok.Could somebody update on this regarding the conditions after descent from agumbe ? It was horrible last time and our maruti 800 took a bad beating !!
Old 12th March 2010, 19:46   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. This means rest of the patches has improved. can we now cover the entire ghat section in 50 Minutes? Took me One hour and 25 minutes the last time , that is around 3 months ago. Also, is the bad stretch manageable in a car?
Took me 1 1/2 hour last month. Patch work is done in very few places eventhough you see material like bitumen drums and jelly stones on the side of the road. The pace of work is very slow and unlikely to be completed before the monsoons.
Old 14th March 2010, 19:42   #1835
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a Kollur trip next weekend from Bangalore. Is the regular route through Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Shimoga > Ayanur > Anandapuram > Hosanagara > Nagara > Nittur > Kollur route good enough now? Can I do this in less than 10 hours? If I want to return in a different route, what option I have? How about touching Belur and Halebidu on the way back?

Last edited by vasoo : 14th March 2010 at 19:43.
Old 15th March 2010, 07:54   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I am planning a Kollur trip next weekend from Bangalore. Is the regular route through Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Shimoga > Ayanur > Anandapuram > Hosanagara > Nagara > Nittur > Kollur route good enough now? Can I do this in less than 10 hours? If I want to return in a different route, what option I have? How about touching Belur and Halebidu on the way back?
From Shimoga there is one more route

Shimoga - Thirthahalli- Hulikal- Hosangadi- Siddapura- Kamalashile (Annapoorneshwari Temple)- Hallihole- Jadkal - Kollur

Shimoga - Thirthahalli- Hulikal- Hosangadi- Siddapura- Shankarnaryana- Haladi - Vandse - Kollur.

Till thirthahalli roads are good, after than no much idaea. But compared to the Hosanagara route , this is the main route which most of the regular buses take.

For your return journey you have many options:

Kollur - Haladi - Someshwara - Agumbe - Sringeri - Balehonnuru - Chickmaglur - Halebidu - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Blore

Kollur - Kundapura - Udupi - Karkala- Mudabidri- Belthangady - Charmadi - Kottighehara - Halebidu - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Blore

Kollur - Haladi - Hebri - Karkala- Kudremeuka - Kalasa - Mudigere- - Halebidu - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Blore
Old 15th March 2010, 11:31   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post

Shimoga - Thirthahalli- Hulikal- Hosangadi- Siddapura- Kamalashile (Annapoorneshwari Temple)- Hallihole- Jadkal - Kollur

Shimoga - Thirthahalli- Hulikal- Hosangadi- Siddapura- Shankarnaryana- Haladi - Vandse - Kollur.

Till thirthahalli roads are good, after than no much idaea. But compared to the Hosanagara route , this is the main route which most of the regular buses take.

Kollur - Haladi - Someshwara - Agumbe - Sringeri - Balehonnuru - Chickmaglur - Halebidu - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Blore

Kollur - Kundapura - Udupi - Karkala- Mudabidri- Belthangady - Charmadi - Kottighehara - Halebidu - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Blore

Kollur - Haladi - Hebri - Karkala- Kudremeuka - Kalasa - Mudigere- - Halebidu - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Blore
It should be Belur-Halebeedu-Hassan. Just finish Belur then go to Halebeedu, from Halebeedu to hassan is just around 20kms. Then take a Ring road at the entrance of hassan(towards left, before Malnad college) and reach Bangalore highway directly.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:51   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Will be driving in a old and sad Zen on this road.If this car makes it ,i think any car will be able to do it

Let me know if anyone interested in this adventure
Old 15th March 2010, 19:09   #1839
MCR
BHPian

Kadri, Lohithrao, This weekend I will be driving to Ujire.

I plan to take the charmadi ghat, its been quiet long since I have travelled on this route. I have attached the route map, taken from Google map.

The distance from Mysore to Ujire via Shiradi ghat is 240 kms and via charmadi ghat is 242 kms. Also I remember reading in the same thread earlier thread that the road conditions are not so great around Mudigere.

Request your comments on the same.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-route.jpg  

Last edited by MCR : 15th March 2010 at 19:11.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:39   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Kadri, Lohithrao, This weekend I will be driving to Ujire.

The distance from Mysore to Ujire via Shiradi ghat is 240 kms and via charmadi ghat is 242 kms. .
Shiradi ghat: No way till another 3 months. 50% Work still not completed. They have not even touched the balance 50% of it.

Charmadi ghatL: Few people have travelled recently and have updated the road condition as good.

You can also look at Madikeri - Sullya - Puttur - Uppiningady- Belthangady - Ujire as one more option.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:07   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Kadri not to offend you, i have taken shiradi during the day and riden myself. and noway its 50% bad if anyone has driven in this road few months back will love it..

Infact Mudigere route was not good...

I will be driving to Bangalore this weekend and am taking Shiradi without any doubts!
Old 15th March 2010, 20:54   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Kadri. I find a route like this in Google maps for return trip. Kollur > Nagara > Thirthahalli > Koppa > Sollebail > Balehonnur > Aldur > Vastara > Belur > Halebidu....

Is this practical? Looks shorter route though.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:54   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Kadri not to offend you, i have taken shiradi during the day and riden myself. and noway its 50% bad if anyone has driven in this road few months back will love it..
Hi Lohith, I went to Mangalore on 5th and returned back on 7th through Shiradi ghat. From my experience I felt, things had not changed where road work has not started. The balance stretch is in the same bad condition like few months back.

I know you drove through bike, but in bike its manageable. The same road you experience in car or bus, its very different and difficult.

And there is nothing offending in this thread, different people have different experience hence different view points. All are free to express.

Last edited by kadri007 : 15th March 2010 at 21:59.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:04   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Thank you Kadri. I find a route like this in Google maps for return trip. Kollur > Nagara > Thirthahalli > Koppa > Sollebail > Balehonnur > Aldur > Vastara > Belur > Halebidu....

Is this practical? Looks shorter route though.
This route is existing, the Sagara - Horanadu buses take this route. But not aware of road conditions.

Agumbe, Kudremukha, Charmadi roads I had traveled hence can provide you some insights on it. You can give a try and help us also to know more about this route.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:40   #1845
Senior - BHPian

well if you feel going on bike i wont be able to gauge properly then how can one get any idea traveling in bus especially during the night
even i rode down on 6th morning from Bangalore....

as mentioned in my earlier post last 4 years i have traveled plenty of times in my car and also in my bike so my analysis is based on my experience.

however in this stretch one has to be slow....

anyhow it is left for the people who decide to take this road or not i just have tried to my feedback...

Quote:
Hi Lohith, I went to Mangalore on 5th and returned back on 7th through Shiradi ghat. From my experience I felt, things had not changed where road work has not started. The balance stretch is in the same bad condition like few months back.

I know you drove through bike, but in bike its manageable. The same road you experience in car or bus, its very different and difficult.

And there is nothing offending in this thread, different people have different experience hence different view points. All are free to express.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks