Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 11:13   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
For some who want luxury, comfort and mileage LINEA is the answer, for other power (or bhp) hungry petrol heads ANHC is the epitome of C segement sedans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
The Linea for comfort, practicality and features.
The ANHC for looks, speed and reliability.
Is the Petrol ANHC that much poorer in FE than the Petrol Linea?
Is the Linea that much more comfortable than the ANHC?

I'd rate both cars close enough on "in-city FE" and "overall comfort" (which for me includes ride and handling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
After paying 5K less you get:
  • alloy wheels
  • climate control
  • fog lamps
  • blu-n-me
  • rear a/c vent, electronic sunblind @ the rear
  • Heated Rear view Mirrors
  • a Diesel engine and better fuel efficiency
  • a few more things that i forget
how's that for VFM?
Sure but you also get Diesel Clatter. One can add fog lamps and upgrade to Alloys (sure Climate Control is something the ANHC should have had along with electrically folding outside mirrors) but one can't change the engine, transmission, suspension etc.

While Honda A.S.S is nothing to write home about, the general impression is that Fiat's (even post Tata) A.S.S makes even the guys at Skoda look efficient/competent.

As far as blu-n-me is concerned; it might work well but I come from an era that has been traumatised by MS's blue screen. I'd loathe to have anything made/designed by MS in my car.

The Linea and ANHC seem well matched. We chose the ANHC because they offered an Auto box, becuase the better of the Fiat engines (diesel) would be noiser than Honda's Petrol, because our milage (less than 800km per month) hinted that a Petrol block is better suited for us than an Oil burner, because we still are aphrehensive about Fiat's A.S.S, and because for some reason (forgive me I'm old) we still go by the addage "you cant beat cubic inches".

I am sure the Linea is a great car: great features (fogs, alloys, climate control, etc..), practical (read as FE), great for those who drive long distances (read as diesel), we even prefered its looks to that of the ANHC (I guess that makes us "folks from 'that' era") :-) but as others mentioned before it's "a case of different strokes for different folks"

Last edited by navin : 16th January 2009 at 11:15.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:21   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Infact, Fiat has priced all its cars in India very well.
This is something only time will tell. If Fiat's Linea turns out to be a winner then it could/would hold true if however the Linea bombs (even if the reasons have nothing to do with pricing) it's pricing will be questioned.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:30   #123
Senior - BHPian

don't look at price,
don't look at features,
don't look at what suits you,
don't look at after sales service,
don't look at resale value,
just look for brand, that is honda.
go for honda, because,....
as another thread says that only skoda and honda users are polished and refined people who looks for better things in life.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:34   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
as another thread says that only skoda and honda users are polished and refined people who looks for better things in life.

Wow!! Never knew that!! I must be super polished and super refined !!
Old 16th January 2009, 11:47   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Is the Petrol ANHC that much poorer in FE than the Petrol Linea?
Is the Linea that much more comfortable than the ANHC?

I'd rate both cars close enough on "in-city FE" and "overall comfort" (which for me includes ride and handling).

Sure but you also get Diesel Clatter. One can add fog lamps and upgrade to Alloys (sure Climate Control is something the ANHC should have had along with electrically folding outside mirrors) but one can't change the engine, transmission, suspension etc.

While Honda A.S.S is nothing to write home about, the general impression is that Fiat's (even post Tata) A.S.S makes even the guys at Skoda look efficient/competent.

As far as blu-n-me is concerned; it might work well but I come from an era that has been traumatised by MS's blue screen. I'd loathe to have anything made/designed by MS in my car.

The Linea and ANHC seem well matched. We chose the ANHC because they offered an Auto box, becuase the better of the Fiat engines (diesel) would be noiser than Honda's Petrol, because our milage (less than 800km per month) hinted that a Petrol block is better suited for us than an Oil burner, because we still are aphrehensive about Fiat's A.S.S, and because for some reason (forgive me I'm old) we still go by the addage "you cant beat cubic inches".

I am sure the Linea is a great car: great features (fogs, alloys, climate control, etc..), practical (read as FE), great for those who drive long distances (read as diesel), we even prefered its looks to that of the ANHC (I guess that makes us "folks from 'that' era") :-) but as others mentioned before it's "a case of different strokes for different folks"
Just to clear up my head, i again went for a test drive of ANHC yesterday (as the TD experience of Linea was fresh), i found Linea to be much more spacious and comfortable atleast as far as the diving position is concerned. I'm 6'2" and i was cramped for leg space in ANHC even after pulling back the drivers seat to the max and lowering the seat height.

However i noticed that the rear leg room and shoulder space in ANHC was much better than Linea.

Engine option (in terms of performance) is way superior in ANHC if you are hitting the highways very often. For a more sedate city driving and decent FE Linea is the way to go.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:56   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
i found Linea to be much more spacious and comfortable atleast as far as the diving position is concerned. I'm 6'2" and i was cramped for leg space in ANHC

However i noticed that the rear leg room and shoulder space in ANHC was much better than Linea.
there you go! vive la differance!

I am 5' 9" (my wife is 5' 2") and am usually in the rear seat. Hence our needs are different. We are sometimes 3 of us (my wife, son and I) in the rear seat. Our difference in size and seat preferance colours our perception on which car is more comfortable! :-)

BTW did you TD the Diesel or Petrol Linea?

Last edited by navin : 16th January 2009 at 11:57.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:57   #127
BHPian

I am an ardent Fiat lover and a happy Fiat (Petra 1.6) owner. Linea is definitely a beauty, comfort, safety, performance, economy (esp diesel one) & style benchmark but Fiat/Tata-Fiat A.S.S. sucks!
Old 16th January 2009, 12:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Can you elaborate more on the retro 70's look? Which car from the 70's looked like the Linea? Similarly what is futuristic about the Honda City? I am a little confused.
This was a question for Diabloo but here is my view:
As one of the magazines pointed out, both are stunning but they take different approaches to design.

Linea has a blend of classic form elements and contemporary design language. When i say classic, these are the elements which have stood time and have that eduring side. Grill of Linea is probably an example. Then there are contemporary touches to the headlights, the wheel acrhes the way shoulder-line transitions in to the tail-lamps etc. Overall it is a modern design taking inspiration from classic design style like Austin Martins or Porshes. Shelf life of these designs are very long and they dont look outdated. Looking at these cars it is difficut to say which decade they belong to.

On the other hand Honda designs tend to be (not necessarily with success always) trendy or futuristic because every time there is an attempt to bring newness, something that hasn't existed so far. Of course it is evident that Honda designers admire BMWs as you can see in some elements like the lip on the bootlid, or the tail-lamps or profile of C pillar.
Thing about trendy design is that they dont last long and need to keep changing like a fashion. But they appeal to ceratin personality types at the given time. It is relatively easy to pinpoint the time these belong to.

PS: By the way jst wanted to point out to something nobody has mentioned so far. In certain angles, Linea gives a hint that it is based on a hatch. But it is a much better attempt then the NHC where the boot really looked like a add-on (much better then Indigo thou)

Last edited by Guna : 16th January 2009 at 12:22.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:04   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I stand by my figures. Please point out the wrong information. I will eat my words.
ANHC E MT Bangalore ex-showroom is not 7.51L, it is 7.69L after excise duty cut. That was what was wrong. Somebody also mentioned that S MT was 9L and I pointed out that it was around 10L earlier quote from Magnum Honda and around 9.75L after excise duty cut.

People are giving wrong information and compare. That is bad if somebody is not going to research and believe what is being written here.

If you still stand by your figure even after somebody corrects, that is fine. I don't think anyone can stop it as it is impossible to wake up somebody who is pretending to be sleeping.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:10   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
it is impossible to wake up somebody who is pretending to be sleeping.
cool down man.

bty, linea seems good at looks and price.
i have not come to any test drive report yet on this forum.

@lucky 13--- your avtar is cute, hmmmm.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 16th January 2009 at 13:18.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:10   #131
BHPian

Quote:
ANHC E MT Bangalore ex-showroom is not 7.51L, it is 7.69L after excise duty cut. That was what was wrong. Somebody also mentioned that S MT was 9L and I pointed out that it was around 10L earlier quote from Magnum Honda and around 9.75L after excise duty cut.

People are giving wrong information and compare. That is bad if somebody is not going to research and believe what is being written here.

If you still stand by your figure even after somebody corrects, that is fine. I don't think anyone can stop it as it is impossible to wake up somebody who is pretending to be sleeping.
True, the quote i got from Magnum honda was approx:
E MT - 910,000
S MT - 971,000
Old 16th January 2009, 16:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Fiat Linea has that retro 70s look and hence it will charm the folks of that era.
ANHC is a modern car with futuristic design. Hence it appeals to younger folks.
????
70s look means it will charm people born around that time (a lot since they would be in their 30s now) or people who got a driving licence in that decade (less since it would mean people in their late 40s now)

Because of the above, does younger mean people younger to the above category in age (say 20s who would form a lower proportion since not many <30 would be able to pay +8lakhs for a car) or in terms of driving licence age (then in the late 30s and 40s now).

????
Old 16th January 2009, 16:17   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
????
70s look means 30s now late 40s say 20s not many <30 would be +8lakhs for late 30s and 40s
sir,
20,30,40,70,....,8 lakh.
too much confusing for me.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:34   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Navin, the blue screen era never ended. It's alive and well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
On the other hand Honda designs tend to be (not necessarily with success always) trendy or futuristic because every time there is an attempt to bring newness, something that hasn't existed so far. Of course it is evident that Honda designers admire BMWs as you can see in some elements like the lip on the bootlid, or the tail-lamps or profile of C pillar.
Thing about trendy design is that they dont last long and need to keep changing like a fashion. But they appeal to ceratin personality types at the given time. It is relatively easy to pinpoint the time these belong to.
Very true. I was thinking about this today when I saw a new ANHC parked outside my office. I do think the ANHC will age faster than the model it replaces (I may be biased because I own the NHC). A lot of people may hate the looks of the 1st gen NHC but I really think that design was ahead of its time. The car will look contemporary (and goofy, some might say) even 15 years down the line.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:48   #135
BANNED

For the sake of level playing ground, I listed the prices as in Delhi for petrol cars (as mentioned in the post). Please point the where I was wrong - I will correct myself.
Quote:
In 4~5 years time, ANHC will be replaced by next generation Honda City. Thats the way Honda plays the game - not hang on to dear model for ages. So people get latest design with latest technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Thing about trendy design is that they dont last long and need to keep changing like a fashion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks