Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 18:21   #331
BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Cross posting into the right thread

I am on the lookout for a Dining Table with chairs. We identified a table which has been made of Accacia wood along with chairs made of same wood.

Questions from my end

1. Is Accacia wood good for a dining table. I read through wood database and it says its a strong and dense wood. But i have not seen much being used at least by the likes of Pepperfry, Urbanladder, or some of the big online retailers

We plan to keep the table for a long duration. Our last table lasted about 20 years and this table we are planning to will be kept for at least 20 years if not more.

4. Lastly the quote we received for this is about INR 1.5lakhs with table+6chairs. Is it worth the cost.

Inputs into these questions will help us make a decision. The alternate was to get a similar table from FabIndia made out of Sheesham wood at a cost of about INR 1.3lakhs, 6 chairs included
Not sure if it is too late. Here is a picture taken today of our 7 years old dining table - Acacia (or I think it is 'ven thekk'. I don't remember what the seller said, but it is very likely Acacia) . It is holding up very well and is heavy. It costed us 19k in 2015 in Kochi, Kerala.

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-20220606_175712.jpg

We also bought a king size Acacia bed last year for 25k and it feels very sturdy and heavy. Our 6 year old daughter and her friend jumps on it often (only to get shouted at) and bed takes it very well and makes them feel confident to jump again

Name:  bed.JPG
Views: 770
Size:  24.9 KB

Both of these were bought from furniture shops in the town. Royaloak/Pepperfry and likes mainly seem to have HDF furniture, which looks amazing but aren't very durable.

Our neighbor has chairs in walnut finished that she bought from Homecenter or similar online shop. While they look very good, they are very light and needs to be handled very carefully. I had come very close to buying HDF bed for the looks factor, but decided to get a solid wood one.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 6th June 2022 at 18:35.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 19:04   #332
BHPian

How is Saraf Furniture for Solid wood chairs? My parents are looking to replace their dining chairs and found this seller online. They have showrooms in Bengaluru, Surat, Delhi, etc but not in Mumbai. Any leads wooden furniture shops in around Mulund/Thane area for solid wood furniture also welcome.
Old 14th June 2022, 21:43   #333
BHPian

I bought Nilkamal Almirah from Pepperfry in May this year. The Pepperfry technician was unable to install the Almirah citing panel mismatch. I immediately raised issue with Pepperfry. However, I was taken aback by their lackluster attitude to solving the issues. Despite repeated calls, and even twittering, it has made no headway.
FrozeninTime is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 20:44   #334
Senior - BHPian

Am looking to buy a bunk bed for my kids and have shortlisted this one from Amazon. Looks to be clean with no sharp edges but am not sure about how long it will survive. I would like to visit a physical store and buy if possible.

Any recommendations/suggestions would greatly help.
Old 23rd June 2022, 20:39   #335
ZMG
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I am looking at purchasing a good quality 6-seater dining table in Bangalore.
Have been to Shekhawati furniture in HSR - horrible attitude by the managers - they want you to pay the amount upfront and you do not know what will be delivered. Was finding it difficult to trust them.

Went to Wooden street - the dining tables look good - but again horrible reviews on the internet for the wait times and post sales customer service.

Would like to buy a dining table and chairs which can last for at least next 10 years.
Willing to spend up to a lakh if I can get something in teakwood.

Please guide BHPians
Old 24th June 2022, 14:17   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Have been to Shekhawati furniture in HSR - horrible attitude by the managers
Surprising! Usually they are polite and well behaved. Plus they also provide lifetime warranty on Sheesham furniture against defects and infestations.

Quote:
Went to Wooden street - the dining tables look good - but again horrible reviews on the internet for the wait times and post sales customer service.
We didn't prefer them because of the delivery times. They mentioned 1-2 months. Also do check the warranty time.

Avoid Royal Oak at all costs. They sold us an infested bed and then refused to service or treat it even at a cost! Had to sell a 60k bed at 10k.

Quote:
....Would like to buy a dining table and chairs which can last for at least next 10 years.
Willing to spend up to a lakh if I can get something in teakwood. ..
Teak wood is cheaper then Sheesham so you can get good stuff for your budget. Look for other local sellers in HSR. A few of them provide 5-6 years warranty and can even do a custom job for that amount.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:20   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

Please guide BHPians
I have got a few things from wooden street (Cot, Study table etc). Loved the quality, but hated the delivery time and experience (one of the negative reviews you see on google would be mine ).

After having the furniture with us for 1 year now, I would say I am willing to overlook the delivery experience. If you assume ~2 months for delivery and is ok with it, this is a good option.

I have also got dining table and coffee table from pepperfry (woodsworth I think), and a few things like TV Stand, Book shelf etc from urban Ladder.

Wooden Street is slightly better in quality I feel in comparison (I am no expert in this field though, just going by the looks and the 'feel')
Old 25th June 2022, 18:44   #338
ZMG
BHPian

Thank you for your input guys.
Went and ordered a dining table set of Mango wood at Urban Ladder.
Came to about 52K.
Hoping it is durable
ZMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 22:55   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Teak wood is cheaper then Sheesham
Absolutely wrong. Everywhere in India teak is costly than Sheesham. Tree prices are generally teak>sheesham>sakhua(sal)>kapoor sal> jamun> babool(acacia)>gamhar and others. Teak is superior to sheesham in every sense. Even cheap teak wood don't get termite which sheesham(not properly dried and which have white patches) are prone to.

Quote:
Came to about 52K.
Hoping it is durable
Oh my! Mango wood dining table set for 52K, no wonder they are earning big bucks. Its like 800 Rs cft, moreover mango wood is loved by borers, they bend easily and are prone to moisture. Even a table set made of plywood topped with laminate would be better.
Sran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 23:10   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came to about 52K.
Hoping it is durable
Mango wood even though treated is not worth the money you are spending. In earlier days I have seen mango wood being used for making packing boxes. Simple advise will be to stay away from such kind of inferior wood. Go for Teak/Rose wood/Acacia and I am sure you can get it at reasonable prices, just look around outside big showrooms.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:44   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Came to about 52K.
Hoping it is durable
Err...can the order be changed/ modified? Mango isn't a very strong wood and you can easily get a Sheehsam Dining Table from HomeCenter at a similar price.

Agree with Sran and Tj123 on Mango wood. Avoid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Absolutely wrong. Everywhere in India teak is costly than Sheesham. Tree prices are generally teak>sheesham>sakhua(sal)>kapoor sal> jamun> babool(acacia)>gamhar and others. Teak is superior to sheesham in every sense. Even cheap teak wood don't get termite which sheesham(not properly dried and which have white patches) are prone to.
Ah. Lesson learnt. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Mango wood even though treated is not worth the money you are spending. In earlier days I have seen mango wood being used for making packing boxes. Simple advise will be to stay away from such kind of inferior wood. Go for Teak/Rose wood/Acacia and I am sure you can get it at reasonable prices, just look around outside big showrooms.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:12   #342
ZMG
BHPian

Thanks for your input guys.
Unfortunately I cannot cancel the order.
The chairs are expected to arrive today.
Lets see how well does this dining set hold up.

I saw a couple of Sheesham table sets too, however they just did not seem to look elegant.

Bit the bullet and ordered the mango dining set as it looked really elegant.
Old 28th June 2022, 11:55   #343
Senior - BHPian

Folks, any recommendations for a book shelf to hold around 300 novels with a budget of ~5k?
Old 30th June 2022, 10:56   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, any recommendations for a book shelf to hold around 300 novels with a budget of ~5k?
Look around local city furniture market area. Your best bet is for iron slotted angle shelves. I am sure you will find it cheaper in local market than online. They are sturdy but do look at its length and height as a 4 feet shelf in length with hold no more than 50 books of mixed thickness and the height may cross 6 feet mark and the width must be minimum of 8 inches.

If you wish it to be of some sort of wood it is highly unlikely you would get one at the given price range. If you are inclined on one, make it yourself. Its easy without laminate and would require only primer and paint but would look rough.
Old 30th June 2022, 16:00   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I am looking for good quality recliners. Unfortunately Lazboy is no longer available at least in Pune. Stanley sofas that used to sell Lazboy recliners told me that their agreement has expired and they no longer sell them. And I did not like the new range (from some other brand) that they are now selling.

Somehow I have not found the quality of recliners at most of the other stores like Home Town, Urban Ladder, Pepper Fry etc. to be good. Every season, they have a different set of recliners and all of them seem to be imported from some South Asian countries.

I am looking for single seat recliners that I can use in my hall where I have also setup my home theatre system. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Hey, I just read this post from more than a year back. I have the original LazBoy Branson with swivel bought from Stanley in 2012 from Bangalore. I am willing to sell it to you. I live in Mumbai now. Let me know if you want to discuss this further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks