Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 17:17   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

I am looking for good quality recliners. Unfortunately Lazboy is no longer available at least in Pune. Stanley sofas that used to sell Lazboy recliners told me that their agreement has expired and they no longer sell them. And I did not like the new range (from some other brand) that they are now selling.

Somehow I have not found the quality of recliners at most of the other stores like Home Town, Urban Ladder, Pepper Fry etc. to be good. Every season, they have a different set of recliners and all of them seem to be imported from some South Asian countries.

I am looking for single seat recliners that I can use in my hall where I have also setup my home theatre system. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 16th March 2021, 18:38   #302
Senior - BHPian

All - I am looking to buy good quality dining table & Chairs. The chairs that came along with the table have lost their boots and is not safe to sit anymore.

I’m at a stage where I don’t mind spending a little more for a much better quality one time than trying to look for options that are 20-25K models that isn’t lasting long.

Any leads are appreciated.
Old 16th March 2021, 20:45   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
All - I am looking to buy good quality dining table & Chairs. The chairs that came along with the table have lost their boots and is not safe to sit anymore.

I’m at a stage where I don’t mind spending a little more for a much better quality one time than trying to look for options that are 20-25K models that isn’t lasting long.

There is no quality in branded ones, never was. Go to a carpenter or local furniture market. The problems are many but the use of wrong kind of wood is rampant. If you can invest then ask for Sagwan wood or Sheesham wood. These are the primary wood for high quality furnitures that last generations with polish. You can also ask them to make frame for glass top or marble top. Round legs for chairs are always better than rectangular ones and are more stable. Don't cheapen out on the thickness of wood.
Sran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:45   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Few months back we replaced my parents' dining table set. I tried looking for teak wood, but just couldn't find it any place I visited. Finally, we just ordered from Shekhawati Furniture at HSR. It was Seesham wood (I think, IIRC). Not particularly impressive or a standout. Will do the job for few years. They said they get it made in Rajasthan and transported to Bangalore.

We did not consider granite / marble tops.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 18:00   #305
BHPian

I purchased a 3+1+1 sofa from a shop that sells imported furniture, three years back. Within a year the foam at the bottom has sunk in. He had fitted a think plywood under the sofa at our request. It looks like the foam is very cheap quality and is a single sheet cut into shape. See pics.
I am considering purchasing a custom size 6 inch spring mattress inclusive of one or two inch latex topping and have that cut to this shape and just replace the foam of the sofa. Does this make sense? I am hoping the pocket springs prevent it from losing shape and get this work done easier.
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-img_20210321_140632.jpg
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-img_20210321_140639.jpg
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 18:37   #306
BHPian

Quote:

If you’re looking at quality, a better option would be to short list a carpenter, finalise a design by looking at designs online or visit some stores and take pics and then get it made. I would suggest A quality plywood like Century Club prime or Sainik. 100% calibrated imported boards are also available. Teak wood is also an option depending upon your budget or design preference.

This will be a bit time consuming and requires some effort but it the only way to guarantee long lasting quality. Most of the online and store bought furniture compromises on quality of wood/plywood, sponge used etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Somehow I have not found the quality of recliners at most of the other stores like Home Town, Urban Ladder, Pepper Fry etc. to be good. Every season, they have a different set of recliners and all of them seem to be imported from some South Asian countries.

I am looking for single seat recliners that I can use in my hall where I have also setup my home theatre system. Any pointers would be appreciated.
You may consider Karlsson based out of Bangalore for recliners. Fantastic quality of leather and interior imported fittings, customised to your requirements.

https://www.karlssonleather.in/

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2021 at 19:19. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 03:51   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am considering purchasing a custom size 6 inch spring mattress inclusive of one or two inch latex topping and have that cut to this shape and just replace the foam of the sofa. Does this make sense? ...
Not to me. Inside a spring mattress is a lattice work of springs and wiring holding it all together. Wouldn't have thought it feasible to cut it shape. especially as you want it to fit fit the shape accurately, even with curves.
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:47   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Inside a spring mattress is a lattice work of springs and wiring holding it all together. Wouldn't have thought it feasible to cut it shape. especially as you want it to fit fit the shape accurately, even with curves.
I thought the lattice work is more for Bonnell spring arrangement unlike pocket spring mattresses. This image is from my recent purchase of a springtek mattress with a 2 inch latex layer. Finding an upholsterer that has the skill to do something intricately is my deterrent. I had tried this for an older sofa of ours in the past where the upholsterer from Usha Furniture, ripped out the innards of my spring based sofa and used different layers of foam and tape to shape a flat sofa which ultimately was a cheap and easy solution rather than being a good and comfortable seating arrangement. Workers these days want to finish work quick and easy and move onto the next customer in my opinion.The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-eurotophybridlatexpocketspring3zoom.jpg.
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:29   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Workers these days want to finish work quick and easy and move onto the next customer
Aside from clear cut thuggery which is rampant, it is also true you get what you pay. The total work on this sofa will cost you not less than 10,000 including new fabric and a week time. Use high density foams for sofa, bit pricey but not so much. It will be easy than to invest another 40,000 or so on new sofa. Use local sofa maker rather than going for branded ones. Imo they are better in repairing jobs.

Last edited by Sran : 22nd March 2021 at 12:30.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:59   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
The total work on this sofa will cost you not less than 10,000 including new fabric and a week time.
my previous failed attempt cost me 7k labor and 11k material where the upholsterer changed the springs to flat layers of foam. We had purchased high density foam for the seat area and softer ones for the arms and topping of the seat. Had purchased MM Foam at that time and imported tape for the under support layer. It was a total waste and we junked that sofa within a year or two. I dont want to make the same mistake again and hence seeking advice and doing research.
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:10   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

How about using actual latex. I find it very comfortable to sleep on!
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:46   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We have three sets of dining tables from Urban Ladder in our family including our home. They are very well built and finish is excellent. These are 6 seater table +chair sets. The oldest among them is 6 years old and looks as good as new.

Granted , it may not use the best of the wood, but their quality is top notch. All the chairs and the table are in good nick.

Our is similar to the listing below. But without foam on the chair.

https://www.urbanladder.com/products...NDNTKAGB001001

You can visit their showroom in JP nagar and have look at the options

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd March 2021 at 17:47.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 15:03   #313
BHPian

Has anyone ordered furniture from https://thetimberguy.com/

I liked some of the items and am on the verge of ordering.
I see that they have a long delivery window of 8-12 weeks.
The reviews on the site do mention the delay but people seem to be happy with the product. But then they host the reviews as well. So has to take it with a pinch of salt.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 15:58   #314
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All - I am looking to buy good quality dining table & Chairs.
Don't know if this is too late and you've already bought the dining table

We went through a similar situation 4 years ago and finally bought it from Sunrise Furniture near Infantry road. We bought a smaller table to suit the space available - 3'x5' table with 4 chairs and an additional bench for use as an occasional 6 seater (all teak wood frame with plywood and veneer top). What helped make the decision was previous experiences with them - had bought 2 ornamental teak wood sofa sets almost 2 decades prior that stood the test of time. We also visited their factory near RT Nagar and were happy with the quality of workmanship. I think the dining table set cost us tad short of 40k INR and at that time was comparable with prices on pepperfry and urban ladder (Sheesham wood).

Last edited by NPV : 3rd April 2021 at 16:03.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:39   #315
BHPian

I am in a strange dilemma.

I am buying an apartment in Bangalore, where I am promised the wardrobes and kitchen cabinets from the builder as part of an offer during booking.

Now, it is time to customize the home. In the customization portal, I see an option where I can remove the wardrobes from bedroom and save approximately 4.5 lakhs. I am planning to take that option and buy the wardrobes from homecentre or Ikea (if they start operations in Bangalore by 2022). Does anyone have reviews on the durability of these wardrobes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks